Moparts

Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga

Posted By: Jeremiah

Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/13/15 09:11 AM

I took the advice of a few members and ordered up a bunch of retainers and locks to see how a few of the more popular brands stacked up on the height mic. First I'll introduce the contestants:

Attached picture 8427847-DSCN0293.JPG

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/13/15 09:16 AM

I emailed Hughes (they CNC's my MW Victors to an advertised 370@.700) and Dave told me to pick out a smaller cam. Unfortunately it is a little late for that. Stupid me to consider that a head advertised to flow well at .700-.750 lift would be able to utilize a compatible valve spring without retainer clearance issues and a scrub pattern wider than a '70 New Yorker. Anyway, more contestants:

Attached picture 8427849-DSCN0294.JPG

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/13/15 09:21 AM

There are a few items that will be listed but not pictured. If you are curious and don't see that particular retainer in the pic just ask and I'll get one.

The often loved and even more often scorn lash cap and accompanying lock. Also note how the non-lash cap TI retainer is super light weight due to the recess near the top of the locks.

All of this stuff is 11/32" super 7 and 10 degree fyi.

Attached picture 8427852-DSCN0295.JPG
Posted By: rebel

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/13/15 09:24 AM

those Tool Steel retainers really help gain clearence. swapped out my titiainium for them. so far i'm impressed.

Attached picture 8427853-2013-06-2723.06.01.jpg

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/13/15 09:47 AM

Quote:

those Tool Steel retainers really help gain clearence. swapped out my titiainium for them. so far i'm impressed.

Are those Manley titanium 10 degree locks as well? How much spring pressure are you running? Thank you for the feedback!

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/13/15 10:08 AM

I converted the .xls file to a PDF so it could be attached. If you want the excel file hit me up.

Attached File

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/13/15 10:13 AM

I also found an interesting item of interest on my Hughes 1.7 ratio rockers. It seems that the offset intake rocker has a much shallower roller wheel compared to the non-offset exhaust rocker. This effectively KILLS rocker to retainer clearance.

Attached picture 8427860-DSCN0271.JPG

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/13/15 10:14 AM

Now to my question...why?

Attached picture 8427861-DSCN0273.JPG

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/13/15 10:25 AM

This is Tensilmax light weight retainer with .030 shims under the rocker shaft (see pic). This is the only setup I found that will clear the intake rocker and still let you use a .750 (gross) lift cam. My favorite combo that was not only light weigh but also put me right around a 2.00" or better installed height was the Manley light weight super 7 TI retainer. Unfortunately as rebel pointed out above it has rocker clearance issues to the tune of about .050 on the exhaust and .070 on the intake without any rocker shaft shims.

Attached picture 8427864-DSCN0280.JPG

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/13/15 10:30 AM

And here we are down at .750 net lift running off the edge of the map. I'm working with B3RE to correct this.

Attached picture 8427865-DSCN0285.JPG
Posted By: BradH

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/13/15 02:07 PM

Quote:

Uhhhh... 'cuz somebody effed up?

I'll check my Hughes offset intakes & standard exhausts and see if there is a similar issue, but I don't recall noticing anything wrong when they've been mocked up on a head before.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/13/15 03:54 PM

Have you checked out spring cups for thinner ones? Sounds like you are close to having plenty of clearance. How much lift is on your cam?
Posted By: MoParFish

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/13/15 04:53 PM

Sorry you are having problems. That's odd that the rollers are different height. Like many Victor guys it seems, I have a love/hate relationship with mine. You may have read my combo before and I run a smaller cam but, if helps at all, here's my valvetrain combo:
solid roller .421 lobe lift w/1.6 HS rockers = .674 lift.
Trick Flow springs TFS-16943-16(which are actually PAC-1243)installed at 1.900,
Comp tool steel retainers 1732-16
Comp 4785-16 locators
611-16 locks
621-16 lash caps,
Smith Bros .375x.083 pushrods
Harland Sharp S70016EVK rockers.
No spring/retainer clearance issues even without lash caps. I decided to run the caps only because the sharp rockers sweep the roller from the center toward the outer tips of the valves at full lift and wanted more contact. I'm sure it's not the ideal setup but seems to be working OK. Has been to 7400 RPM a couple times but keep it below 7k now.

Attached picture 8427975-valve.JPG

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/13/15 05:16 PM

Quote:

Have you checked out spring cups for thinner ones? Sounds like you are close to having plenty of clearance. How much lift is on your cam?

I am using .045 spring seats and those are the thinnest I could find. The cam is only .741/.718 net lift accounting for lash. I'm there, just need to get the pattern sorted out.

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/13/15 06:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I am using .045 spring seats and those are the thinnest I could find. The cam is only .741/.718 net lift accounting for lash. I'm there, just need to get the pattern sorted out.

Good to hear you are OK. Things that crossed my mind besides the cups are just how much room there might be (if any) to cut the pockets, or even them out. Seems like a lot of us are always looking to go faster, and lift is a big part of that.

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/13/15 06:49 PM

With the CNC porting there is not much room for cutting the spring pocket. They are also all over the place. I am going to figure this out so the next guy doesn't get in the jam that some of us have with these heads. I figure by the time I get the rocker arm geometry figured out the valve covers, headers and push rods won't fit.

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/13/15 07:16 PM

Quote:

... I decided to run the caps only because the sharp rockers sweep the roller from the center toward the outer tips of the valves at full lift and wanted more contact.

That's an example of the HS rockers being too long between the shaft pivot C/L and the roller tip pivot C/L, unfortunately.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/13/15 07:16 PM

This weekend I am going to cut up an old set of valves, drill and tap the head portion and weld a 1/4"x20 tpi bolt to the stem to make some adjustable length mockup valves for my Victor heads, so I could mockup the rocker arm height for the max wedge rocker arm blocks. I just need to check if my old valves (from my B1 B/S heads) are 11/32" or 3/8"?

Be careful using the rocker arm shims. I'm not sure if that is why I split the center rocker stand on my old set of victor heads.
I will say this new set looks like a better casting quality than the old set.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/13/15 07:25 PM

Not trying to troll you here but I don't think you would have had the clearance issue if you were running Harland Sharp rockers. They don't have a gentle radius like the Hughes pieces. They cost literally 2X + as much though
Posted By: dvw

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/14/15 01:53 AM

Wouldn't take a free pair of Victors. I can't believe in this day and age that a major company could not only design but build a part that is so screwed up. Guess they never heard of CAD
Doug

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/14/15 02:15 AM

Quote:

Not trying to troll you here but I don't think you would have had the clearance issue if you were running Harland Sharp rockers. They don't have a gentle radius like the Hughes pieces. They cost literally 2X + as much though

Not trolling at all. I was going to go T&D or Jesel on one of my identical 511" short blocks so that will be next. I was also going to do another set of Victors but am pretty interested in either -1's or something comparable. I'd like to see some detail shots of the HS offset rockers for the Victors if anyone has any. I was not super impressed with the fit and finish of the Hughes rockers but figured I'd see how they work out. I am also going to replace the adjusters with some Smith Brothers stuff. Should have just bought the T&D's at this point. We shall see how it works out.

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/14/15 02:17 AM

Quote:

Wouldn't take a free pair of Victors. I can't believe in this day and age that a major company could not only design but build a part that is so screwed up. Guess they never heard of CAD
Doug

Thank you! I keep saying that this "race oriented" cylinder head has really got one over on me and people make excuses for Edelbrock. I'm not excusing anyone. If I turned stuff like that out at work my customers would burn me at the stake lol.

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/14/15 02:20 AM

Quote:

This weekend I am going to cut up an old set of valves, drill and tap the head portion and weld a 1/4"x20 tpi bolt to the stem to make some adjustable length mockup valves for my Victor heads, so I could mockup the rocker arm height for the max wedge rocker arm blocks. I just need to check if my old valves (from my B1 B/S heads) are 11/32" or 3/8"?

Be careful using the rocker arm shims. I'm not sure if that is why I split the center rocker stand on my old set of victor heads.

Please let us know what you find. I was looking up valves and the intake was a shelf part but finding a long enough exhaust valve would be tough. I don't understand why they don't make the exhaust valve a little longer than the intake to make up for the wider margin to face distance on the exhaust. Am I missing something here?

I know this seems overboard to some of you but I'm trying to drive this thing as well as track time so getting it right the first time is very necessary in order to have fun at this.

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/14/15 02:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Please let us know what you find. I was looking up valves and the intake was a shelf part but finding a long enough exhaust valve would be tough. I don't understand why they don't make the exhaust valve a little longer than the intake to make up for the wider margin to face distance on the exhaust. Am I missing something here?

I know this seems overboard to some of you but I'm trying to drive this thing as well as track time so getting it right the first time is very necessary in order to have fun at this.

I would never shim rocker shafts just on what little I know about the stresses they create. simply put, in order to not put all the load on the outer edge of the rocker stand, the shims would have to be thinner at the edges than the center. To see this, all you need to do is cut a piece of tubing length wise into 1/3s and stack them. The problem shims create will become obvious.
I would think that in most cases where a fairly high lift roller is going to be used, lowering the rocker stands might be needed rather than shimming anyway?

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/14/15 03:18 AM

It looks like a valve that is around 5.5" would work good? The valve I modified was 0.200" from the retainer lock to the tip, and the Edelbrock valve are 0.250", but the 5.5" figure takes the 0.050" into account.
I need to take the heads, rockers, and stuff to the cylinder head guy I use and see what he thinks. He is a Manely valve dealer and got me a deal on severe duty valves for my B1 B/S heads.
Posted By: B3RE

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/14/15 04:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I would never shim rocker shafts just on what little I know about the stresses they create. simply put, in order to not put all the load on the outer edge of the rocker stand, the shims would have to be thinner at the edges than the center. To see this, all you need to do is cut a piece of tubing length wise into 1/3s and stack them. The problem shims create will become obvious.
I would think that in most cases where a fairly high lift roller is going to be used, lowering the rocker stands might be needed rather than shimming anyway?

Well, I did the math today for the OP's kit, and no, the shafts do not have to go down. They still need to go up, and there should be no clearance issues with any of the retainers.
Also, I don't make shims. Shims are flat stock. I make shaft spacers from billet bar stock with proper radii. They aren't stressing anything.
This saga is going to have a happy ending, as far as the rocker geometry is concerned.

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/14/15 06:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Uhhhh... 'cuz somebody effed up?

I'll check my Hughes offset intakes & standard exhausts and see if there is a similar issue, but I don't recall noticing anything wrong when they've been mocked up on a head before.

Just spent some time giving my Hughes rockers (1.6 offset int, 1.5 offset int, 1.5 std exh) a close and mine are all consistent w/ respect to roller pivot location. They all look basically like your offset intake, not your exhaust (which appears to have had the roller pin installed too low in the body).
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/14/15 04:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Not trolling at all. I was going to go T&D or Jesel on one of my identical 511" short blocks so that will be next. I was also going to do another set of Victors but am pretty interested in either -1's or something comparable. I'd like to see some detail shots of the HS offset rockers for the Victors if anyone has any. I was not super impressed with the fit and finish of the Hughes rockers but figured I'd see how they work out. I am also going to replace the adjusters with some Smith Brothers stuff. Should have just bought the T&D's at this point. We shall see how it works out.

I don't have any pics myself, but the ones HS has on their website look to have the exact same profile as the standard offset rockers they sell. I had a similar issue with rockers I was going to try to run on my build and ended up going to the HS rockers Mancini sells.

I was actually pretty annoyed too because I already had the first pair of rockers and if I knew I was going to have to buy rockers I'd have bought Victors since the offset Hughes rockers are the same price. Looks like in the end I dodged a bullet there.
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/14/15 04:46 PM

I see on Hughs' installation instructions, they address the shim
problem with instructions to trim the ends to avoid undue side
stress on the rocker pedestals.

Shims to my feelings are problematic because of the way we're introducing something into the original design that is
possibly degrading it.

My

Joe

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/14/15 05:38 PM

Quote:

I'd like to see some detail shots of the HS offset rockers for the Victors if anyone has any. I was not super impressed with the fit and finish of the Hughes rockers but figured I'd see how they work out. I am also going to replace the adjusters with some Smith Brothers stuff. Should have just bought the T&D's at this point. We shall see how it works out.

Here's a couple

Also, here's a link to a past thread with some pics. https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...part=1&vc=1

Attached picture 8428875-hs2.jpg

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/14/15 05:40 PM

nuther

Attached picture 8428878-rs1.jpg

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/14/15 05:43 PM

Attached picture 8428883-hs3.jpg

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/14/15 05:46 PM

Attached picture 8428887-hs4.jpg

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/14/15 06:30 PM

What is the offset on the H&S rockers? I think the ones for the INDY heads are 0.800"?
My T&D rockers for the MW Victors are 0.725" offset, and I think the standard port Victors are a 0.600" offset?
Posted By: MikeStahl

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/14/15 06:37 PM

Intakes r .650 offset

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/14/15 06:42 PM

Quote:

What is the offset on the H&S rockers? I think the ones for the INDY heads are 0.800"?
My T&D rockers for the MW Victors are 0.725" offset, and I think the standard port Victors are a 0.600" offset?

HS Intake offset for the standard or MW Victors is .650" I am running MW. I'm also using Comp 87019-16 lifters with .210 PR seat offset on intake. I hindsight I should have used the standard 829-16 solid body lifters and just done a little more clearencing for pusrods.

http://www.harlandsharp.com/mopar_vr_indy.htm

Attached picture 8428956-l1.jpg

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/14/15 06:45 PM

Attached picture 8428961-hs1.jpg

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/15/15 10:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

HS Intake offset for the standard or MW Victors is .650" I am running MW. I'm also using Comp 87019-16 lifters with .210 PR seat offset on intake. I hindsight I should have used the standard 829-16 solid body lifters and just done a little more clearencing for pusrods.

what is wrong with the offset lifters?

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/15/15 11:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

what is wrong with the offset lifters?

The 87019s have an oil band and, I beleive, have a bit shorter body than the 829s. Once together and running, I wasn't likng the oil pressure when warm(about 10psi at idle in gear after a pass). When I put it all together, the top of the band was pretty close to the top of the lifter bore at full lift in an un-bushed stock block. I figured it was losing oil volume past lifters. I ended up dropping a steel dowel down the passenger side sending unit hole at back of block to limit oil to drivers side lifters. This brought oil pressure back to a comfortable range. FWIW Here's a link to another members thread with similar issues and posted some pics of what I did.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post8241605

Also, for what it's worth, the 87019s are Not pushrod oiling but do have the small edm? hole at bottom of the band.

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/16/15 07:38 AM

So oil bypassing the lifter, I see.
I have been using the standard solid body roller lifters and an intake pushrod that is 0.025" longer than the exhaust pushrod.

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/20/15 12:22 AM

Quote:

The 87019s have an oil band and, I beleive, have a bit shorter body than the 829s. Once together and running, I wasn't likng the oil pressure when warm(about 10psi at idle in gear after a pass). When I put it all together, the top of the band was pretty close to the top of the lifter bore at full lift in an un-bushed stock block. I figured it was losing oil volume past lifters. I ended up dropping a steel dowel down the passenger side sending unit hole at back of block to limit oil to drivers side lifters. This brought oil pressure back to a comfortable range. FWIW Here's a link to another members thread with similar issues and posted some pics of what I did.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post8241605

The COMP The 87019s look similar to the lifters I bought from IMM, so now I'm wondering if your trick of restricting the driver-side lifter galley feed might be required using them w/ an unbushed block, too.

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/27/15 06:35 PM

Update on this deal. We received the B3 Racing Engines spacer kit and everything looks right on. I was getting the best sweep pattern with a .090 shim pack previously however the rocker was running off of the exhaust side of the valve. All of those things have been corrected and the sweep pattern is centered and not more than .045" mocking it up with a light checking spring. Needless to say I'm a happy gearhead. 2.00" installed height no longer creates rocker to retainer clearance issues, cast valve covers fit (header clearance) and I found long enough studs for full thread engagement on all five hold downs.

Attached picture 8442679-IMG_20150226_213506_337.jpg

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/27/15 06:38 PM

Intake side view

Attached picture 8442682-IMG_20150226_213754_670.jpg

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/27/15 06:39 PM

Exhaust side view

Attached picture 8442683-IMG_20150226_214335_178.jpg

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/27/15 06:41 PM

Side view

Attached picture 8442687-IMG_20150226_214207_946.jpg

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/27/15 06:47 PM

I also went ahead and measured up the installed height on the 10 degree stuff with the valve LocCap retainer/cap setup and will try to compile that data over the weekend.

I ordered a set of Isky 9999-RAD springs that will work perfect for my cam and next up will be a set of their EZx rollers with all of the bells and whistles. I need to find a Manley dealer as well. Summit seems a big high on their titanium stuff.

If any of you 11/32" valve stem guys need to borrow the valve lock/retainer assortment I'll be happy to loan it out for a deposit equaling the sum of the parts + insured shipping both ways. I'm out 300 clams so you won't have to be.

Lastly...

A very special thanks to Mr. Michael Beachel of B3 Racing Engines. He was the only guy to hear me out and help engineer a solution when everyone else was telling me I was out of luck, buy a smaller cam, "just run it that way", etc.

This engine is going in my small tire, face plated 4-speed street car and its going to rip. I'm stoked!
Posted By: PorkyPig

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/27/15 11:29 PM

Are those longer valves than Victors come with normally, or did you figure out the right retainers and locks to raise the installed height that much?
Posted By: clonestocker

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/28/15 12:53 AM

Quote:

I also went ahead and measured up the installed height on the 10 degree stuff with the valve LocCap retainer/cap setup and will try to compile that data over the weekend.

I ordered a set of Isky 9999-RAD springs that will work perfect for my cam and next up will be a set of their EZx rollers with all of the bells and whistles. I need to find a Manley dealer as well. Summit seems a big high on their titanium stuff.

If any of you 11/32" valve stem guys need to borrow the valve lock/retainer assortment I'll be happy to loan it out for a deposit equaling the sum of the parts + insured shipping both ways. I'm out 300 clams so you won't have to be.

Lastly...

A very special thanks to Mr. Michael Beachel of B3 Racing Engines. He was the only guy to hear me out and help engineer a solution when everyone else was telling me I was out of luck, buy a smaller cam, "just run it that way", etc.

This engine is going in my small tire, face plated 4-speed street car and its going to rip. I'm stoked!

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/28/15 03:44 AM

Quote:

Are those longer valves than Victors come with normally, or did you figure out the right retainers and locks to raise the installed height that much?

What do you have for retainers? Comp thinks I should use a 1.645" triple spring #947. It has 338@2.00" seat pressure! I told them my current springs with 275 on the seat, 700+ open, and they said that might be OK, but they prefer to error on the stiffer side?

I'm not sure my rocker arms will clear that large of a spring?

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/28/15 04:03 AM

Quote:

I looked into running longer valves but the cost was prohibitive. The retainer clearance is going to be subjective to the rocker arms you are using. The Hughes 1.7 ratio rockers would clear some of the smaller diameter 10 degree tool steel retainers and the light weight super seven Manley Tensilmax retainer. Again that was with a .030 shim. I needed .090 worth to get the sweep pattern tight but the roller was running off of the valve tip. Also the .090 increase in rocker stand height opened up a ton of retainer choices at 2.00".

I am going to run Manley or Xceldyne light weight titanium retainers, Manley super 7 titanium +.050 locks and Xceldyne .040 BeCu spring seats. The Isky 9999-RAD installed height is 2.00" as well.

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/28/15 04:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Lastly...

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/28/15 04:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

What do you have for retainers? Comp thinks I should use a 1.645" triple spring #947. It has [Email]338@2.00"[/Email] seat pressure! I told them my current springs with 275 on the seat, 700+ open, and they said that might be OK, but they prefer to error on the stiffer side?

I'm not sure my rocker arms will clear that large of a spring?

I would be lucky to get a 1.625" spring under my deal so you most likely won't get 1.645" to work. I'll know more specifics next week when my 1.600 springs show up.

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/28/15 04:37 AM

Does the Isky spring you mentioned have a flat damper between the inner & outer coils? If so, I've seen the dampers chew into ti retaiers running on the street.

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/28/15 05:12 AM

You have to smooth out the edges so it doesn't eat the retainer either way with lots of spring pressure. That is also with less expensive springs. Check this out:

http://www.iskycams.com/springs.html

Take note of #4 and #5. If these springs don't work I'll move up to Isky 1699 which is the same spring (all specs) in Marathon-RAD material. They are $100 more than the 9999-RAD's so I'm hoping these will work for a while.

Also of note here:

http://www.cvproducts.com/Products.aspx?MFGID=PSI

Manley sells what I think is a Goodson tool as well:

Attached picture 8443395-manleyvalvespringchamferingtool.jpg

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 02/28/15 07:31 PM

Updated Spreadsheet with the 10 degree stuff:

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 03/01/15 04:54 PM

Quote:

Thanks for posting your findings

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 03/02/15 08:50 PM

Quote:

... I found long enough studs for full thread engagement on all five hold downs.

Where did you get the studs, what length are they, and what grade material (Grade 8?) are they?

How does your roller tip sweep compare (width & relative location to center of valve tip) w/ the new hardware on there?

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 03/03/15 02:59 AM

The sweep is around .045 now. I'll get more measurements once the heads are assembled and on the engine.

The bolts I used were from McMaster Carr:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#90281a636/=w52oaz

http://www.mcmaster.com/#90281a638/=w52obb

Remember these were used with the spacers so without they might be a little long. I could check my heads without the spacers if you want to see where yours would end up.

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 03/03/15 04:52 AM

Quote:

The sweep is around .045 now. I'll get more measurements once the heads are assembled and on the engine.

Remember these were used with the spacers so without they might be a little long. I could check my heads without the spacers if you want to see where yours would end up.

How do you feel about the shaft being up on those spacers? I assuming the holes in the shaft are offset to allow it to move off the O.E. shaft center line? It fits the valve tip, spring, retainer better for sure.
Doug

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 03/03/15 05:15 AM

I feel pretty good about it as everything fit together perfectly and moved the rocker shaft back and up which solved all three of my problems (installed height, retainer clearance and geometry).

I did enlarge the holes in the shaft in order to offset it on the stands/spacers. The amount of material removed was not excessive but as you know time will tell how everything holds up. Your thoughts?

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 03/03/15 05:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for posting your findings

Heck yeah. Thanks for sharing your build as well. I'm looking forward to coming down and doing some stick shift racing with you guys.

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 03/03/15 05:30 AM

"time will tell how everything holds up."

You said it right there.
Doug

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 03/03/15 05:34 AM

Quote:

I see on Hughs' installation instructions, they address the shim
problem with instructions to trim the ends to avoid undue side
stress on the rocker pedestals.

Shims to my feelings are problematic because of the way we're introducing something into the original design that is
possibly degrading it.

My

Joe

Agreed 100% on the shims. I don't want to have to keep track of and clean all of that stuff every time the valve train comes apart either. The spacers on the other hand are a nice clean solution to a tricky and difficult to correct problem.

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 03/03/15 11:37 PM

Quote:

Just for comparison, I noticed the strength rating on those studs are only 125,000 psi vs. what Hughes sells (I know, those are too short) that are rated at 170,000 psi.

Don't know what ARP's studs are, but I'd be curious if that 125,000 psi level is strong enough, considering the spring pressure you're going to run.

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 03/04/15 01:55 AM

I was wondering the same thing, in fact I made a thread about it. Nobody really has any insight either way so I figured somebody has to figure this out. I guess it's going to be me?

http://www.americanfastener.com/astm-sae-and-iso-grade-markings-for-steel-fasteners/

The aluminum threads will pull out long before the stud breaks if you think about it. The studs have a flat for a wrench in the middle so they are not even full radius in the middle. Oh well that's what we are using.

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 03/04/15 07:40 PM

Quote:

The aluminum threads will pull out long before the stud breaks if you think about it.

I'd rather not...

Found the ARPs are 180,000 psi.

Not sure what the Indy studs are rated, but the longer of the two used in their 440-1/SR stud kits are 3.5+" long. If you were concerned enough to swap 'em out, you could probably get all long ones and cut down the ones that need to be shorter, 'cuz I believe their short ones are still < 3".

Just a thought (or two).

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 03/05/15 05:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The aluminum threads will pull out long before the stud breaks if you think about it.

I'd rather not...

Found the ARPs are 180,000 psi.

Not sure what the Indy studs are rated, but the longer of the two used in their 440-1/SR stud kits are 3.5+" long. If you were concerned enough to swap 'em out, you could probably get all long ones and cut down the ones that need to be shorter, 'cuz I believe their short ones are still < 3".

Just a thought (or two).

You are correct on the Indy studs. I am going to measure up the Hughes, Indy, and Jeremiah (McMaster-Carr) kit over the weekend and post the lengths. To set this straight my concern is only the center rocker stand due to it's lack of girth and problems experienced by other users.

So yes, the 3.5" studs are not a concern. My initial measurements told me that I needed a 3" stud with 1" of thread engagement into the center rocker stand. As far as I know there is only one made and having them made up custom at $22/pc is out of the question. The studs from McMaster-Carr are high quality, rolled threads. The studs from Indy look like the thread was machined. Does anyone know the tensile strength of the Indy stud? What material do they use? Do we know what tensile strength is even required?

I sure don't have enough FEA, strengths of materials or load testing experience/background to say one way or another. I do have (barely) enough experience to say we are over thinking this and I should just run them and whoop some some a$$ on the street and track.

Look at it this way - if my engine breaks because of the studs or any other of the untested parts in it we can all learn and...I have another identical 511" short block sitting next to this one.

Besides, pretty soon it's going to get hot the only car we have running is the convertible. I'll forget about this nonsense, close the shop for summer and you can find us in the pond floating around with a cold beers.

bikini clad girl > sweaty meats heads at race track

ps Do any of you guys have the ability to test bolt shear at work? I'd be willing to donate some parts.

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 03/05/15 05:54 PM

What length heli-coil is in the center stand?
I replaced the center one with a 3/4" Time-sert, but that was after milling the stands down to use the max-wedge type blocks.

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 03/05/15 06:07 PM

It's about 1"

I am also not using any shim stock on the rocker stands.
Posted By: EchoSixMike

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 03/05/15 06:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Just for comparison, I noticed the strength rating on those studs are only 125,000 psi vs. what Hughes sells (I know, those are too short) that are rated at 170,000 psi.

Don't know what ARP's studs are, but I'd be curious if that 125,000 psi level is strong enough, considering the spring pressure you're going to run.

Just doing some math says these bolts will have a failure point of about 13800lbs, now assume 4:1 design margin and you have about 3450lbs working load limit. Back of napkin type math, but it gives an idea. S/F.....Ken M

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 03/05/15 08:08 PM

Quote:

What length heli-coil is in the center stand?
I replaced the center one with a 3/4" Time-sert, but that was after milling the stands down to use the max-wedge type blocks.

I put in 3/4" Heli-Coils in my center stands by drilling the original holes deeper below the surface of the main pedastals.

What I pulled out from Edelbrock looked more like 1" long, but even the 3/4" have twice the length vs. diameter of the studs being used.

If the center stands still break off at the surface, the Heli-Coil threads will (should?) still be there below it. But I really hope moving the thread engagement below the rocker pedestal and running the longer #2/4-type threads alleviates this concern.

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 03/06/15 08:51 AM

It sounds like Edelbrock has made some changes from the early set I have. I haven't looked at the length of the inserts in the new heads.

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 03/06/15 09:22 AM

I drilled/tapped and installed new 1" thread inserts further in to head so that ALL of the threads are below the base of the stand. I believe the arp stud I used only has .750" thread length

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 03/06/15 05:19 PM

My notes tell me that my heads have about .300 of helicoil below the milled part of the pedestal.

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 03/13/15 08:00 AM

I took my heads to my cylinder head guy today and I noticed that the new version of MW Victors looks like the valve cover rail is raised more than my old castings. When we measured the old to new castings, the new ones appear to be about 0.100" taller? The reason it looked different was because we were looking at how the rocker stands were milled off for the max wedge rocker shaft blocks.
We looked at some valve spring options and longer valve options. He is going to check with PAC to see if they may have a spring that could work that is not listed in their catalog. He was also going to check the cost of custom length valves. The slightly longer valves and raised rocker shaft does move the rocker arm roller towards the outer/exhaust side of the valve tip, bit the pattern is not too bad.
He does have some PAC-1326 springs that I could get a good discount on.

Re: Updates on the Edelbrock Victor Installed Height Saga - 05/18/15 08:20 AM

Update. I was wrong on the valve cover rail. Measured both and they are the same. PAC valve springs set up up with thinner (I think 0.030" thick) spring locator seats, and +0.100" (I think, I did not measure them) Ti retainers. Used the stock Edelbrock valves and the PAC 1326 valve springs. I think we are around 1.950" to 2.000" install height according to the cylinder head guy I went to.
We milled the rocker stands and are using the MaxWedge type rocker shaft stands. Installed 3/4" long timesert thread inserts for the center stand, and using studs to attach the rocker shaft. Just ordered 3/8"x0.145" wall pushrods, 9.080" exhaust, 9.138" intake length from Smith Brothers.
That was all I needed to finish the engine.
© 2024 Moparts Forums