Moparts

big block dual line oil systems?

Posted By: John Burdine

big block dual line oil systems? - 02/04/15 10:23 AM

so what is everyone running these days on big block as far as oil pumps, pump covers and pick ups.
looking at dual line stuff, I will be using my CV remote oil filter mount, so I need that type cover.
do you like the Milodon billet stuff or Indy, ect...
Posted By: quickd100

Re: big block dual line oil systems? - 02/04/15 02:05 PM

I run a Melling High Volume that I blueprinted sandwiched between the Milodon base and cover. I also milled the pieces for O-rings as the gaskets will fail on occasion. Dave
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: big block dual line oil systems? - 02/04/15 02:36 PM

I run a single line system with a one piece pump cover, over a Melling high volume body. I have never seen the need to go to the dual system, and I have run many runs through the traps at 7800 rpm. If you look at the single swinging pickup, the total area for pulling oil isn't that big when you look it over closely. I haven't done the math, but I will bet it isn't bigger than the area of a single -12 line. The screen on the end reduces the area quite a bit. I run 20w50 Brad Penn, and I do heat up the oil well and run the motor warm running alky. The 20w50 label is misleading to a certain extent as well. The oils don't follow those numbers as well as we think, temperature wise. I have seen charts that show this, and it surprised me a bit.
What ever you chose, DO NOT use a Milodon system with a two piece cover with two bolts, and a gasket. It almost cost me a race car or worse when the gasket blew in the lights! I torqued those two bolts properly, but it didn't matter. A huge chunk of gasket blew out and put me sideways.
I now run two -10 lines off the front of the oil pump cover to and from a remote filter and accumulator.
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: big block dual line oil systems? - 02/04/15 02:53 PM

I am using the Milodon dual line swinging pick up with a Mellings HV pump.
I had the two piece cover on it , and the gasket failed last season just after a burnout. I was lucky the starting line tech saw the leak and waved me off!
I then purchased the Milodon billet (21205) one piece cover.

Mark
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: big block dual line oil systems? - 02/04/15 03:01 PM

On my hemi I use the Milodon pump w/ the single inlet on the front. I use a stock cover on it b/c I got tired of my old remote filter mount. I'm just running a single line w/ a static pickup in a fabbed aluminum pan from 440 source...only cost about $180 if I recall correctly. Much better ground clearance than the Milodon pans for the single external line.
Here's the pump I use...
http://www.manciniracing.com/brbhemwedalp.html
This setup has worked flawlessly since 2006. Bearings look great.

On my Indy headed 440 I use a Melling HV pump w/ a Milodon cover and a single external line.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: big block dual line oil systems? - 02/04/15 04:47 PM

The newer Milodon 21215 or 21205 covers are a little expensive, but have a couple nice features.
- One piece construction eliminates potential gasket failure
- Hard anodized surface resists wear from the rotor much better than the non-anodized covers.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Milodon/697/21215/10002/-1?parentProductId=1548358
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: big block dual line oil systems? - 02/04/15 07:18 PM

The B1 is and has been for a few years a single -16 line with a Wescott oil pump and a Williams pan and swinging pickup using Brad Penn 10w30. Never have had any issues with it whatsoever shifting it at 8500 when we run it out. In fact the motor is getting freshened up now and oil pump simply got cleaned and back in service. I also run a CV remote filter adapter and the large Wix filter.
Posted By: John Burdine

Re: big block dual line oil systems? - 02/04/15 08:17 PM

Quote:

The B1 is and has been for a few years a single -16 line with a Wescott oil pump and a Williams pan and swinging pickup using Brad Penn 10w30. Never have had any issues with it whatsoever shifting it at 8500 when we run it out. In fact the motor is getting freshened up now and oil pump simply got cleaned and back in service. I also run a CV remote filter adapter and the large Wix filter.

does Wescott make the pickup you used?
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: big block dual line oil systems? - 02/04/15 09:03 PM

No it is a modified Milodon piece.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: big block dual line oil systems? - 02/05/15 12:37 AM

The one piece CNC cover is less expensive than the Milodon unit over at 440Source and it includes a pump !! Looks like a decent piece.
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: big block dual line oil systems? - 02/05/15 03:47 AM

Titan pump, dual line pick-up built into the pan. Titan pump has externally adjustable pressure settings and has a small reservoir for an oil charge to prime the pump. I had a Milodon dual line set up on my old motor, it lost it's prime too many times. New motor got the the best wet sump pump made.
Posted By: dvw

Re: big block dual line oil systems? - 02/05/15 04:15 AM

Mines a single line Indy. Swinging pick-up, Charlies pan. Never an issue even when only running 4 qts in the pan. Never lost prime or pressure. Bearings always look good with 5w/30 Royal Purple. Rpm peak 7200, 4.5" stroke.
Doug
Posted By: Tig

Re: big block dual line oil systems? - 02/07/15 03:29 PM

Milodon dual line, Modified Milodon Super Stock pan,remote filter, Accusump, Milodon Billet pump.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: big block dual line oil systems? - 02/07/15 08:21 PM

My current bracket motor has the non billet Milidon pump with the front inlet cast into it with one of thier remote filter pump covers for the dual lines, no problems now with loosing the prime with that pump I'm building a motor for a customer that will have the same pump and one of the two piece pump covers with the oil inlet in the rear for the second inlet line and the other part for the stock oil filter mounting, I'm having the oil filter mount O ringed now to eliminate the gasket
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: big block dual line oil systems? - 02/08/15 07:33 AM

Right out of the Direct Connection bible.

Attached picture 8422542-3.21.12(57).JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums