Moparts

Comp Cams pushrods bent out of the box???

Posted By: domingo

Comp Cams pushrods bent out of the box??? - 01/29/15 06:37 PM

Hi!

I just bought a set of these pushrods:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-7442-16

And seems they were bent before they came out of the box.

I was setting lash on my engine and when it was all done and i was spinning em by hand I can see them wobble some....so they are a bit bent. Or maybe the cups installed a bit crooked? Anyway they DO NOT spin on center, they wobble while spinning....

Is this wrong or is it normal to see a very slight wobble even on brand new pushrods???

Id say they are defective???
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Comp Cams pushrods bent out of the box??? - 01/29/15 06:42 PM

Anything is possible. Double-check by rolling them on a piece of glsss or something similar, with the cup hanging off the edge.

I got a Mopar Performance piston once that the wrist pin hole was machined about 20* off!

Re: Comp Cams pushrods bent out of the box??? - 01/29/15 07:04 PM

I did the glass test and if that was the only test I would base my opinion on....Id say the pushrods are good.

However, when I install em in my engine with last set...and I spin em with my fingers when the lifter is riding on the cam's base circle I can DEFINTELY see em wobble some when ....

So?

Has my OCD probably taken over???
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Comp Cams pushrods bent out of the box??? - 01/29/15 09:02 PM

Sorry but I kinda chuckled when I read the title of your post. In the late 70's my Friends and I flew down to Daytona Beach for a little vacation. My one Friend was reading a National Dragster magazine and said hey Crane Cams is nearby so he called and arranged to take a tour. We really enjoyed the tour and towards the end of it sat a little old lady hand spinning pushrods in a jig with a dial indicator and smacking them with a hammer to straighten them out. LOL at quality control at its finest.

Re: Comp Cams pushrods bent out of the box??? - 01/29/15 09:24 PM

Quote:

Sorry but I kinda chuckled when I read the title of your post. In the late 70's my Friends and I flew down to Daytona Beach for a little vacation. My one Friend was reading a National Dragster magazine and said hey Crane Cams is nearby so he called and arranged to take a tour. We really enjoyed the tour and towards the end of it sat a little old lady hand spinning pushrods in a jig with a dial indicator and smacking them with a hammer to straighten them out. LOL at quality control at its finest.

Posted By: dogdays

Re: Comp Cams pushrods bent out of the box??? - 01/29/15 09:26 PM

From a loading point of view, I believe it is more important that the body of the pushrod be straight.

R.
Posted By: mopowers

Re: Comp Cams pushrods bent out of the box??? - 01/29/15 09:48 PM

I found some "new" bent head bolts a while back by chucking them carefully in a drill press.
Posted By: B3RE

Re: Comp Cams pushrods bent out of the box??? - 01/29/15 10:06 PM

Quote:

Sorry but I kinda chuckled when I read the title of your post. In the late 70's my Friends and I flew down to Daytona Beach for a little vacation. My one Friend was reading a National Dragster magazine and said hey Crane Cams is nearby so he called and arranged to take a tour. We really enjoyed the tour and towards the end of it sat a little old lady hand spinning pushrods in a jig with a dial indicator and smacking them with a hammer to straighten them out. LOL at quality control at its finest. [/quote
That sounds wacky, but it's not unusual. The rods may have been straight, but the heat treating process warps them. The fix is to bend them back to straight again. I would say in the OP's case, the cups are not perpendicular to the rods. Could be sloppy machining.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Comp Cams pushrods bent out of the box??? - 01/29/15 10:42 PM

Quote:

I did the glass test and if that was the only test I would base my opinion on....Id say the pushrods are good.

However, when I install em in my engine with last set...and I spin em with my fingers when the lifter is riding on the cam's base circle I can DEFINTELY see em wobble some when ....

So?

Has my OCD probably taken over???

Do they feel like they are binding as you rotate them , does the rocker move up and down while rotating ?

Re: Comp Cams pushrods bent out of the box??? - 01/29/15 11:51 PM

NO they dont feel like they are binding....

but if I take the lash off by slightly preloading the rocker arm against the pushrod and rotate it using my fingers i can see a bit of wobble as it rotates with my naked eye but that closing one eye and looking real close....some are worse, some are better. I found 6 to be "acceptable" and 10 to be "too wobbly".

but then again when i roll those 10 bad ones on a piece of glass they look ok...i can see no visible wobble with my naked eye....
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Comp Cams pushrods bent out of the box??? - 01/30/15 12:24 AM

must be the ones sent back last month

Re: Comp Cams pushrods bent out of the box??? - 01/30/15 12:52 AM

I guess Im gonna call summit and tell em these are no good....

but if I get another set like it I fear they might be just as bad???

Who makes GOOD pushrods?
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Comp Cams pushrods bent out of the box??? - 01/30/15 01:05 AM

Smith Brothers

Re: Comp Cams pushrods bent out of the box??? - 01/30/15 01:11 AM

what about TREND and MANTON?
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Comp Cams pushrods bent out of the box??? - 01/30/15 01:31 AM

How about chucking them up in a drill and watching it from the side and from the end. Compare the results to something alse about the same length.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Comp Cams pushrods bent out of the box??? - 01/30/15 01:35 AM

Quote:

what about TREND and MANTON?

Trend makes good PRs also... I have never used Manton
so I dont know... I have used Smith Brothers and they
are good but pricey

Re: Comp Cams pushrods bent out of the box??? - 01/30/15 01:37 AM

I have used trend before and was satisfied with their product....I think I will use em again.

Known good is better than unkown perfect I guess....lol
Posted By: sublimehemi

Re: Comp Cams pushrods bent out of the box??? - 01/30/15 01:44 AM

guys i heard trend now makes them for comp and smith and manton are their own
Posted By: DAYTONA540

Re: Comp Cams pushrods bent out of the box??? - 01/30/15 02:08 AM

One thing to check is the pushrod tip the right size for the lifter cup? some have 5/16 cup some 3/8 and the same with pushrods most get the cup on top of the pushrod right and miss the lifter cup.
Something you might want to look at.
Posted By: 408Dust

Re: Comp Cams pushrods bent out of the box??? - 01/30/15 06:35 AM

http://stewardperformance.com/contact.html

Call Denny 386-957-3879.great service and product.
Posted By: Porter67

Re: Comp Cams pushrods bent out of the box??? - 01/30/15 12:23 PM

No I would not say your out of your mind, I use comp products as I like to use matched parts as I always know what im getting.

With that said about 2 years ago I had a build that didnt need a $200 set of pushrods or a $700 set of lifters.

I buy straight from comp and on the 3rd set of there better pushrods they got it right. Issues from length to straightness.

At that time I also bought there not so lightweight non pushrod oiling edm mopar/amc lifters only to find one in the box that the hole looked like it was there but when I took them all apart to clean/inspect it was a no go.

So just like anything else, as soon as the parts are in hand inspect them, even if your 6 months out.

No company is perfect and I still use comp cams because they seem easy to work with if you spec what you want.

I look at it this way, the few companies that specialize in pushrods do have a good product and if thats all you do is make pushrods the QC has to be there vs a company like comp that makes so much off the shelf for so many things.

Its semi funny as now all the comp parts I get say double check items before shipment on the invoice and ive had no issues since.

But they were very good at correcting the flawed parts, not just singular pushrods, but full sets and sent replacements with a call tag for the bad.

It seems in reality, if you dont spend the money for a good set of pushrods many have made self adjustments

Id make sure what was posted above about the 5/15 3/8 was not an issue and if they are not correct send them back for a new set, or shop elsewhere.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Comp Cams pushrods bent out of the box??? - 01/30/15 09:50 PM

Quote:

but if I take the lash off by slightly preloading the rocker arm against the pushrod and rotate it using my fingers i can see a bit of wobble as it rotates with my naked eye but that closing one eye and looking real close....some are worse, some are better. I found 6 to be "acceptable" and 10 to be "too wobbly".

but then again when i roll those 10 bad ones on a piece of glass they look ok...i can see no visible wobble with my naked eye....

Where do you see the wobbling , somewhere on the rod or the top of the cup ?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Comp Cams pushrods bent out of the box??? - 01/30/15 10:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Where do you see the wobbling , somewhere on the rod or the top of the cup ?

John.. he said they rolled straight on glass with
the cup hanging off.. I believe the cup was inserted
at a angle... by the way Comp doesnt build their
PRs... a company right by me makes them(OE Push Rods)
and I have bought a few sets from them... when I stop
to pick up mine I walk through the shop and see tons
of PRs with Comp Cams stenciled on them with the length
© 2024 Moparts Forums