Moparts

Head port molding. Try it, you may like it.

Posted By: pittsburghracer

Head port molding. Try it, you may like it. - 01/20/15 07:41 PM

Working on a set of B1 heads for this years build and trying to get 10-15 more CFM out of them so I poured a port mold so I could see a nice 3D mold of where I was at this point. I rarely pour anymore but being this is for a heads-up build if its there I gotta grab it. Very easy to do at home for the home head porters and I think this would help some if you never tried it. Here is a link of the place I deal with. If you order some talk to a tech and DON"T forget to order a spray can of "mold release"

Re: Head port molding. Try it, you may like it. - 01/20/15 07:44 PM

http://www.uscomposites.com/
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Head port molding. Try it, you may like it. - 01/20/15 07:46 PM

WAY cool and even better than a probe camera.
Posted By: CTD5.9

Re: Head port molding. Try it, you may like it. - 01/20/15 07:46 PM

how much shrink does the product have after it is removed from the mold?

Could you use it to make a mold out of something else easier to shape and less expensive then a head for test porting?
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Head port molding. Try it, you may like it. - 01/20/15 07:48 PM

Cool how much does it take per intake port?

Re: Head port molding. Try it, you may like it. - 01/20/15 08:01 PM

Quote:

how much shrink does the product have after it is removed from the mold?

Could you use it to make a mold out of something else easier to shape and less expensive then a head for test porting?

Zero shrinkage so you can easily take port measurements at any given point. Not sure about making a mold of something. To remove it from the port you have to slice it behind the valve guide with a razor making a nice clean cut and then PULL it out the manifold face.

Re: Head port molding. Try it, you may like it. - 01/20/15 08:07 PM

Quote:

Cool how much does it take per intake port?

What I did was took the approximate runner cc and then I googled a chart to change it over to ounces. I then used one of my cheap pre-marked plastic paint mixing containers. I mixed about 4 oz of each but every head would be different. I kinda messed up when I placed an order about 5 years ago and over-ordered. It took awhile but mine was going bad and I really had to work getting it out of the bottles. Next time I will order way less.
Posted By: Street Monkies

Re: Head port molding. Try it, you may like it. - 01/20/15 08:10 PM

Definitely cool. A lot can be figured out doing this. Thanks for the share.

Re: Head port molding. Try it, you may like it. - 01/20/15 08:13 PM

Quote:

Definitely cool. A lot can be figured out doing this. Thanks for the share.

Thanks. Its really nice to be able to take your work into the house and study it, flipping it in every possible position. Heck I've gotten out of bed at times to check something out.
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: Head port molding. Try it, you may like it. - 01/21/15 02:15 AM

the hole in the end looks interesting
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Head port molding. Try it, you may like it. - 01/21/15 02:27 AM

Quote:

the hole in the end looks interesting

PERV.................
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Head port molding. Try it, you may like it. - 01/21/15 03:23 AM

Quote:

Working on a set of B1 heads for this years build and trying to get 10-15 more CFM out of them so I poured a port mold so I could see a nice 3D mold of where I was at this point. I rarely pour anymore but being this is for a heads-up build if its there I gotta grab it. Very easy to do at home for the home head porters and I think this would help some if you never tried it. Here is a link of the place I deal with. If you order some talk to a tech and DON"T forget to order a spray can of "mold release"

by sectioning every 1/4" or so, you can easily plot the port area at 1/4" stations and pinpoint the pinch point.
Posted By: sixpacstac

Re: Head port molding. Try it, you may like it. - 01/21/15 11:30 AM

Quote:

Zero shrinkage so you can easily take port measurements at any given point. Not sure about making a mold of something. To remove it from the port you have to slice it behind the valve guide with a razor making a nice clean cut and then PULL it out the manifold face.

What razor do you use to reach down into the port for the slice? I started experimenting with this a couple of years ago. Have a port I poured that I had trouble removing the mold and I set it aside until I had more time for it. The razor may solve my issue.

I hope my leftover mold mix is still usable after sitting so long.

Re: Head port molding. Try it, you may like it. - 01/21/15 04:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What razor do you use to reach down into the port for the slice? I started experimenting with this a couple of years ago. Have a port I poured that I had trouble removing the mold and I set it aside until I had more time for it. The razor may solve my issue.

I hope my leftover mold mix is still usable after sitting so long.

I have a long handle craft type razor blade that I usually use but I couldn't find it yesterday so I grabbed a regular new scraper razor blade and held it in my hand. It worked GREAT on this head but might have been tricky on a smaller bowl. Just try to make one clean cut so if you want or need to super glue it together you can. I also take a small screwdriver and work it between the head and mold all the way around the port. Did you spray it with mold release compound?
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: Head port molding. Try it, you may like it. - 01/21/15 04:22 PM

Why the big bow in the wall of the port? Is it to give it swirl as it enters the bowl and to help bias it away from the cylinder wall as it enters the bore?
Posted By: sixpacstac

Re: Head port molding. Try it, you may like it. - 01/21/15 09:17 PM

Quote:

I have a long handle craft type razor blade that I usually use but I couldn't find it yesterday so I grabbed a regular new scraper razor blade and held it in my hand. It worked GREAT on this head but might have been tricky on a smaller bowl. Just try to make one clean cut so if you want or need to super glue it together you can. I also take a small screwdriver and work it between the head and mold all the way around the port. Did you spray it with mold release compound?

I screwed up on that one intake port and did forget the mold release which is obviously making it more difficult. I used a flat, dull butter knife and tried to work it around between the mold and the port to help release it. I also sprayed mold release a few times after the fact. I'm hoping that slicing it at the valve guide like you've mentioned will give the mold some more flexibility in order to come out. Thanks for your post.

Re: Head port molding. Try it, you may like it. - 01/21/15 09:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I screwed up on that one intake port and did forget the mold release which is obviously making it more difficult. I used a flat, dull butter knife and tried to work it around between the mold and the port to help release it. I also sprayed mold release a few times after the fact. I'm hoping that slicing it at the valve guide like you've mentioned will give the mold some more flexibility in order to come out. Thanks for your post.

I hope it helps.
Posted By: BradH

Re: Head port molding. Try it, you may like it. - 01/21/15 11:52 PM

I'll have to give that a try to get a different perspective on my own efforts.

Re: Head port molding. Try it, you may like it. - 01/22/15 12:51 AM

Quote:

I'll have to give that a try to get a different perspective on my own efforts.

It really does Brad. Sure beats flipping a head over 15 times looking at the short-side from different angles. I did a set of cast iron Dart Platinum's for a Friend and I skipped going to the gym that week.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Head port molding. Try it, you may like it. - 01/22/15 02:43 AM

We did that stuff all the time at work.. ports were
just one of the things... yeah you gotta spray mold
release agent.. its cool once you get it out... had
plenty of them laying around
© 2024 Moparts Forums