Moparts

Ever consider a crossbreed?

Posted By: Hot 340

Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/17/15 05:37 PM

You know, putting your mopar stuff into a different make? If so, what and why? Ive been kicking it around.
Posted By: MattW

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/17/15 05:43 PM

Quote:

You know, putting your mopar stuff into a different make? If so, what and why? Ive been kicking it around.

Yup 5.0 mustang coupe. Tons of then dirt cheap and tons of aftermarket parts
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/17/15 05:47 PM

A buddy of mine just picked up an Isuzu pickup with a dual quad 440. Looks like it belongs in a 1993 issue of car craft.
Posted By: 451Cuda

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/17/15 05:51 PM

Quote:

440 in a '69 Camaro...because it would piss them off.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/17/15 06:20 PM

Down at The Chicago Connection Bill has a picture on the wall of a '69 Chevelle with a 426 Hemi in it.
Posted By: Cogito

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/17/15 06:35 PM

I've considered putting an LS engine in my Plymouth countless times...
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/17/15 06:39 PM

Looks like a good idea, but...

Why do you think the hot ones are stroked 302 engines and not 351 engines?

No room under the hood.
302 deck height: 8.206"
351W deck height: 9.500"
LA deck height: 9.600"
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/17/15 06:41 PM

I have a 94 z28 I picked up for a parts car. Plan is tub/4-link and build a cheap turbo'd 400 engine for it.
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/17/15 06:45 PM

Quote:

I've considered putting an LS engine in my Plymouth countless times...

the number 1 mustang swap anymore.
Posted By: taxidermy man

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/17/15 07:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

A guy near me did just that,takes it to all mopar shows...They always want to turn him away at the gate until he tells them what's under the hood.
Posted By: gtsdude

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/17/15 07:32 PM

Quote:

A guy near me did just that,takes it to all mopar shows...They always want to turn him away at the gate until he tells them what's under the hood.

Is it green by chance? I have seen that car before.
Posted By: topbrent

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/17/15 08:16 PM

Crossbreed? Heck yes!

The fantastic Chevy LS3 engine on the stand in my garage is going to make a very fun enhancement to my 66 Coronet.

I'm looking forward to it very much!

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/17/15 08:31 PM

Quote:

Crossbreed? Heck yes!

The fantastic Chevy LS3 engine on the stand in my garage is going to make a very fun enhancement to my 66 Coronet.

Everybody's read those theads about ls motors in mopars. Its beat to death. But lets make this into ANOTHER one. Come on, seriously.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/17/15 08:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Crossbreed? Heck yes!

Everybody's read those theads about ls motors in mopars. Its beat to death. But lets make this into ANOTHER one. Come on, seriously.

Speaking of crossbreeds, look at our country now Sometimes it is better to not experiment and mess with success, you think Why would we want to help our opponents get better parts and make there lifes better
Posted By: Duner

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/17/15 08:40 PM

I thought about going with a big block chevy for awhile, but just couldn't make myself pull the trigger. Turbo'd SBM is gonna stay... until I finally get around to putting a late model Hemi in it. Now that my ride is running a standalone already - the powerplant swap is easy.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/17/15 09:34 PM

If I hear the word "LS" again I'm going to puke. I mean it must be the "only" engine in the entire world. Why would you go though all the hassle? accessory drive, mounts, headers, oil pan, trans cross member, drive shaft, electronics. Non is cheap or fits. To what end? Hell, they don't even go in a Chevy with out a boat load of stuff.
Doug
Posted By: GoDartGo

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/17/15 09:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hood scoop and rear wheel wells to match a '68 hemi Dart. Rump stripe and body color engine bay to top it all off.
Posted By: topbrent

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/17/15 09:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Crossbreed? Heck yes!

Speaking of crossbreeds, look at our country now Sometimes it is better to not experiment and mess with success, you think Why would we want to help our opponents get better parts and make there lifes better

Crossbreeding a powerplant is hotrodding fair game and a standard practice in my book. Same logic applies to transmissions, axles, radiators, shifters, suspension, ect.

Aside from your hurt feelings (most certainly not mine), and the generally crappy attitude of most Mopar Luddites towards and regarding innovation, what's not to like about the LS engine swap. Seriously. If you don't understand the appeal and advantages of the LS platform then that is your problem. Seriously.

I didn't post about my LS3 swap to troll for a fight any more than the OP created this post to lure affirmations and create a "rip on brand X" extravaganza. There is a lot of interest in the swap, though most just keep it quiet to avoid the loudmouth haters.

Even though it's the middle of winter and everyone is cranky, lets be play nice and be civil.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/17/15 09:41 PM

Quote:

No room under the hood.

Really............how many pics of them do you want with BBC in them with just a small cowl hood. They fit just fine.

As to everyone being sick of the LS deal.........well it is what it is. Excellent motor and dirt cheap to buy

Monte
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/17/15 09:52 PM

I'd never consider it

Attached picture 8399388-e-mailsizedpics009.jpg
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/17/15 10:01 PM

For whatever reason a bbc in a fox is easier to service than a 351w, I have worked on both Ina fox chassis and the bbc was easier.

I am a mopar guy through and through but if I somehow lost all my stuff and had to start over.....fox body with a gen III or ls engine.

You can't argue with the ls engine. It's a a tough platform. There is lots and lots of guys running in the 9s with very very stock salvage engines with turbos.

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/17/15 10:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

No room under the hood.

Really............how many pics of them do you want with BBC in them with just a small cowl hood. They fit just fine.

As to everyone being sick of the LS deal.........well it is what it is. Excellent motor and dirt cheap to buy

Monte

No, no, no., Im not sick of ls motors as YOU suppose. Its the bickering in the threads about them. Nor am I afraid of innovation as the other poster SUPPOSES. Can you guys read my original post? Is that what this thread is about? I want to hear from guys using mopar setups in other cars. It doesnt make me an ls motor hater. I happen to like them. Its just some of you guys cant read yet.
Posted By: racerx

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/17/15 10:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yup 5.0 mustang coupe. Tons of then dirt cheap and tons of aftermarket parts

^^^This^^^
I thought bout this just a few months ago I have a pump gas BB sitting in the garage now with the prices of Mopar candidates through the roof why not a foxbody.

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/17/15 10:23 PM

Quote:

I'd never consider it

Too cool. How's it work?
Posted By: RT540

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/17/15 10:23 PM

Guilty, Pontiac firebird-95 with B1 motor.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/17/15 10:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Crossbreed? Heck yes!

Crossbreeding a powerplant is hotrodding fair game and a standard practice in my book. Same logic applies to transmissions, axles, radiators, shifters, suspension, ect.

Aside from your hurt feelings (most certainly not mine), and the generally crappy attitude of most Mopar Luddites towards and regarding innovation, what's not to like about the LS engine swap. Seriously. If you don't understand the appeal and advantages of the LS platform then that is your problem. Seriously.

I didn't post about my LS3 swap to troll for a fight any more than the OP created this post to lure affirmations and create a "rip on brand X" extravaganza. There is a lot of interest in the swap, though most just keep it quiet to avoid the loudmouth haters.

Even though it's the middle of winter and everyone is cranky, lets be play nice and be civil.

I've asked the same question to those who install them in a GM body. I will agree the basic engine is strong, cheap, and makes decent power. The cheap part only pertains to the engine itself. The rest of the install has way more issues that I stated. The same deal with putting a late Hemi in. Way more than just getting the motor. Not that it's impossible by any means. It's just not the 15 minute, $500, 500HP bolt in that Car Craft makes it out to be. I have to believe a LA bolted into a Mopar would be cheaper, easier and capable of the same basic HP. Now if we're talking 1000+HP racecar stuff with aftermarket parts that's a whole different ballgame. I also agree Hot Rodding is about doing stuff yourself and pushing the envelope. If it's what you like, go for it.Just my 2 cents
Doug
Posted By: wyldebill

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/17/15 11:01 PM

i thought about either a g-body or a fox, before i bought my valiant. i could find a lot nicer rollers for the same money. i figured that all i was doing was mounting a set of motor plates. after i was done it could still be sold as whatever the platform happened to be.
Posted By: Tig

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/17/15 11:01 PM

I think it's a big no-no over here. You would think it would occur more often given the lack of material compared to you guys. Happens with hot rods a lot, but not muscle cars that I can think of. I only know of two mopar A bodies with Chevy powerplants that race over here and I haven't seen one of them for a long while. IIRC they came that way from the USA.
Posted By: gregsrt

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/17/15 11:11 PM

Sure would, I'd stuff my big block into the right body style F100. Mid to late 60's, nice looking truck.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/17/15 11:14 PM

According to a few on this site, I should have changed to a Turbo 400 and LS power years ago, but I am still running a slow Hemi and a 727....ooh and I should be running a 275 drag radial, yet the car counts here don't come from any "pro" drag radial class I have seen, so I will just keep mine the way it is....
Posted By: 440W8 Duster

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/17/15 11:15 PM

I put a 440 W8 motor in a 88 Mustang about 3 years ago.

Attached picture 8399478-0824001430.jpg

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/17/15 11:16 PM

motor picture.

Attached picture 8399480-106-0654_IMG(2).JPG

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 12:05 AM

Quote:

motor picture.

Were you able to hook everything into the stock wiring for lights, ect? Did doing away with fuel injection make anything in the rest of the wiring go funky? Streetable?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 12:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

motor picture.

Were you able to hook everything into the stock wiring for lights, ect? Did doing away with fuel injection make anything in the rest of the wiring go funky? Streetable?

Keep all the stock wiring for the lights. turn and
brakes... then the engine harness is basicaly separate ..
I've put chevy engines in lots of different cars/trucks
for customers.. this is just your basic hot rodding
Posted By: mafo

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 12:20 AM

I always thought a split window corvette with a six pack 340 and 4 speed would be awesome ,
imagine when you open the hood at the corvette meet
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 12:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No room under the hood.

Monte

No, no, no., Im not sick of ls motors as YOU suppose. Its the bickering in the threads about them. Nor am I afraid of innovation as the other poster SUPPOSES. Can you guys read my original post? Is that what this thread is about? I want to hear from guys using mopar setups in other cars. It doesnt make me an ls motor hater. I happen to like them. Its just some of you guys cant read yet.

How did you gather I was referring to YOU......because I wasn't......so I don't suppose YOU are anything, other than apparently sensitive........LOL!!!

Probably coolest "swap" I have done was on a 40s Studebaker pickup. Bought a wrecked 73 Satellite 360 "donor" car. Put motor, trans, rear, rad, etc in Studebaker. Built a linkage for stock column shifter to work trans. Used mopar brake assy on firewall, throttle pedal and cable.........everything we could from Satellite. It was pretty cool. Truck looked totally restored until you opened the hood

Monte
Posted By: Ari440

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 12:28 AM

I put a dodge 440 in my Plymouth , me bad
Posted By: 496 A-body

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 12:41 AM

Quote:

Years ago a guy around here had a 72 GTO bracket car that had a big block Mopar
Posted By: volaredon

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 12:41 AM

Quote:

If I hear the word "LS" again I'm going to puke. I mean it must be the "only" engine in the entire world.
Doug

my thoughts exactly

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 12:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

motor picture.

But electronic fuel injection goes into the wiring harness tho. Does leaving the connections to the injectors open cause problems?

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 12:56 AM

Quote:

How did you gather I was referring to YOU......because I wasn't......so I don't suppose YOU are anything, other than apparently sensitive........LOL!!!

Probably coolest "swap" I have done was on a 40s Studebaker pickup. Bought a wrecked 73 Satellite 360 "donor" car. Put motor, trans, rear, rad, etc in Studebaker. Built a linkage for stock column shifter to work trans. Used mopar brake assy on firewall, throttle pedal and cable.........everything we could from Satellite. It was pretty cool. Truck looked totally restored until you opened the hood

Not sensitive. Just replying to a comment that looked like was aimed at what I said.

Posted By: justinp61

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 12:57 AM

I've always said if I had a lot of money I'd build a really nice 69 Camaro with a Hemi, 727 and a Dana just to cruise in.
Posted By: taxidermy man

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 01:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Is it green by chance? I have seen that car before.

Yes, don't know him real well, lives in Owatona.

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 01:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

motor picture.

But electronic fuel injection goes into the wiring harness tho. Does leaving the connections to the injectors open cause problems?

Other than the fault code staying lit on the dash
it wasnt a problem... I was told the guy/customer
finally painted the light black
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 01:56 AM

Since there were not a lot of High Performance options in the original engines for my car (flat head 4 or 6 cylinder)crossbreeding was a necessity!
This car has had a blown Olds, Hydro a SBC 4 peed,a BBC Power glide, and the current Hemi /727/ Dana combo.
I am pretty happy with the way it is now.I cannot think of anything I would rather have under the hood.

Mark

Attached picture 8399651-!cid_005001cd1b46$38ac5090$93DD44F9@MobileUnit1.jpg
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 02:08 AM

I put a BBC engine in my Mopar dragster!

PS if anyone wants to put a Mopar engine in a Chevy dragster,PM me I have a front motor plate just for that!
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 02:14 AM

I get closer and closer everyday to putting a purpose built race engine in my Stratus. Honestly if I thought I could get good money for my Predator I would have already done it
Posted By: charger410

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 02:39 AM

Quote:

I get closer and closer everyday to putting a purpose built race engine in my Stratus. Honestly if I thought I could get good money for my Predator I would have already done it

At your level it's inevitable. But it does some how fell like your cheating on your other half and you convince your self that we'll she just wasn't putting out.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 03:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

At your level it's inevitable. But it does some how fell like your cheating on your other half and you convince your self that we'll she just wasn't putting out.

Oh see outs out, did the first time on the dyno. She is now back apart hoping she will put out some more But I am not sure she was worth the time effort and money to get her to this point. But if someone were looking for a BBM that makes some steam and was willing to pay a fair price for our R&D time I'm listening

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 04:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

motor picture.

I eliminated the factory harness and used the Painless 8 rockers switch but no turn signals but every thing else worked.
Posted By: racerx

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 05:00 AM

Quote:

I remember this build how did it turn out?
Those fox body's have good chassis on them.

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 06:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I remember this build how did it turn out?
Those fox body's have good chassis on them.

It turn out good. The car was very deadly.
Posted By: savoy64

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 06:29 AM

one of the guys out here has an original 1970 hemi cuda----when he goes to shows he has his wife park their 69 firebird conv next to it----opens the hoods and listens and laughs at all the crying and groaning from the gm guys---the firebird sports a 440 6 pack motor-----oh i love to hear the moaning too......
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 06:44 AM

As hard as it is to admit... I had a 56 Chevy 210 post sitting in my backyard for two years awaiting a 440/727 swap, but eventually a Chevy guy wanted it more than I did.

My youngest brother has a passion for AMCs and owns a 70 AMX, and 76 Gremlin, both with BB Mopar/ glide combos.

Attached picture 8399937-Hot-Rod-Drag-Week-Tech-inspection-Tulsa-Raceway-2014-Cars-046.jpg
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 09:27 AM

Three of my early cars where mixed breeds, 1952 Ford two door sedan with a 1949 Ols with the original single range hydromatic, #2 was a 1949 Pontiac two door cuope with a 1952 Olds 304 C.I. four barrel motor and Cad Lasalle three speed stick in it, the last mixed was a 1933 Ford chopped and channeled pickup with a 1955 Chrysler New Yorker 331 250 HP Hemi with the OEM Ford type drivtrain in it, 4.89 gears to I ended up having a bunch of early and late hemi motors and cars as well as M.W. cars, 440 E bodys and bunch of others I won't go into. I've been very blessed in my hot rodding and racing carreer, TTG
Posted By: SB449VALIANT

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 11:45 AM

Lol..

Attached picture 8400028-image.jpg
Posted By: Uberpube

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 03:29 PM

I've been playing with the idea of putting a GenIII hemi in one of my Rx-7's. I can buy a 6.4 crate motor now for cheaper than what it costs just for parts to rebuild a 3 rotor.

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 03:38 PM

Quote:

I've been playing with the idea of putting a GenIII hemi in one of my Rx-7's. I can buy a 6.4 crate motor now for cheaper than what it costs just for parts to rebuild a 3 rotor.

Exactly the car I was thinking about.. Hows the rear suspension on those?

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 04:19 PM

Quote:

I've been playing with the idea of putting a GenIII hemi in one of my Rx-7's. I can buy a 6.4 crate motor now for cheaper than what it costs just for parts to rebuild a 3 rotor. [/quote

Did this for a guy that wanted a powerful mazda...

Attached picture 8400125-e-mailsizedpics019.jpg
Posted By: mshred

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 04:35 PM

If I had to do it all over again it would be LS, with a turbo and a power glide in a fox chassis ford...probably not a mustang since they are done to death, but a fairmont or thunderbird (they look cooler anyways).

I have also toyed with the idea of doing a sbm or gen 3 hemi into an old RX7 or 240SX. A guy local here has on old RX7 with a mild LS and T56, runs 10.40s wheels up every pass.
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 05:30 PM

Quote:

I was where you are at now Al about 2 years ago.And I got an offer I could not refuse,but it was the hardest thing I have ever done it my life but now after 2 years I know it was the smartest thing I have ever done.
Like me I know you know a few people who would like to have your Mopar engines,bite the bullet and take a small loss now and you will be much better off with your racing program this time next year.
Posted By: MoParFish

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 05:31 PM

Our buddy's Studebaker pickup getting a 440/727/8-3/4 treatment. Gonna be a very cool ride. https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0#Post8392883

Attached picture 8400181-stud440.jpg

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 05:36 PM

Quote:

Our buddy's Studebaker pickup getting a 440/727/8-3/4 treatment. Gonna be a very cool ride. https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0#Post8392883

I see your using the F & M body transverse front end..
they work great for hot rodding... a all in one package

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 05:45 PM

We were over there last night havin' some beers and talkin' smack around the fire barrel and snapped a pic with the front end sitting on it and a wheel leaned up against it. Just a lil' mock up

Attached picture 8400187-20150117_184323.jpg
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 06:21 PM

with just a small cowl hood

If someone did it, it must be a good idea...?
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 06:52 PM

If I could fabricate worth a crap I'd like to do a T56/gen 3 hemi in a gasser style tri 5 Chevy. Also don't mind LS swaps in Mustangs or lots of the BOP stuff.
Posted By: bobby66

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 07:08 PM

I love the 55-57 Chevy styling. Add 440, Hemi 4-speed and a 4.10 Dana and I'd be set. Either that or a nice '62 Fury.
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 07:54 PM

Have thought a few times about a 351 cleveland swap into my duster
yes im serious. now let the yes i know

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 08:41 PM

Quote:

I love the 55-57 Chevy styling. Add 440, Hemi 4-speed and a 4.10 Dana and I'd be set. Either that or a nice '62 Fury.

Steve Parrish races a 55 Chevy with BB Mopar power. Nice guy, has beat me a couple of times. I should have just not even lined with him and saved the fuel He's good. I asked him one time why that combo. As I recall, Steve said back in late 60s??? he had the wagon with no motor and a fury with a good 383 and the rest was history http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCPhoto.asp?ID=240163

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 11:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Exactly the car I was thinking about.. Hows the rear suspension on those?

Pretty tunable, lots of parts to make it a drag racer or a road racer. The diff is fairly tough, I did blow one up with a dog box and sticky tires.

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 11:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

. [/quote

Did this for a guy that wanted a powerful mazda...

Thats a fairly common swap, and also a fairly common point of failure. The Last long high speed corner of our road racing track has claimed a lot of LS motor main and rod bearings, hence why I would want to try a Hemi. The rotary makes a ton of power, and has a much more reliable oiling system, its just the availability and cost of parts that is the downer, especially for the 3 rotors.

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 11:38 PM

He tried the three rotor before this. Hated the pre boost tq. This car has an independent 8.8 with much heftier halfshafts, and a more "engine correct" gear ratio. This is the aluminum block ls.
Posted By: cudaboy

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 11:47 PM

Local guy has a B1 headed RB in a fox body. Looked good and ran ok, but haven't seen it at the track in a few years.

Dennis

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/18/15 11:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'd never consider it

Too cool. How's it work?

bad video here... www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR2DrlHDjeY
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/19/15 12:29 AM

Hemi in a '55 Chevy. Why? 'Cause the bodies were plentiful and cheap in the sixties and lots of available fiberglass.

Attached picture 8400665-Hemi55Chev.JPG

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/19/15 12:49 AM

My stuff is odd ball enough... I dont even have to
look at other companies to find odd ball
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/19/15 12:54 AM

Quote:

Hemi in a '55 Chevy. Why? 'Cause the bodies were plentiful and cheap in the sixties and lots of available fiberglass.

Awesome! I love the overflow can.

Mike Finnegan from Hot Rod built one over the last year or so too.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/07/road...wer-tour-video/
Posted By: knyech1

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/19/15 01:49 AM

I am planning on putting a Nascar engine in my 6cyl Duster
And that engine will have a Ford 302 journal crank, with Honda rods, and a Chevy flange. Quite a crossbreed
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/19/15 02:01 AM

I think I am being stupid, but haven't totally made up my mind this is the last text he sent.

Attached picture 8400804-image.jpg
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/19/15 02:02 AM

This is the car.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/19/15 02:03 AM

Quote:

I guess that is a MO-TANG
Posted By: coletrickle

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/19/15 02:08 AM

Come to australia the stuffyou see here will blow you away,pre ebay anyway.
My only cross breed was my one and only serious street racer,a General Motors Holden LC Torana 2door,265 hemi 6,15inch engine set back(drive shaft was shorter rhan the valve cover!4inch bore stroked out to 286inch(orignal eng 186 in)3x45mm webbers 904,holden oil and breather caps welded into the hemi valve cover painted holden rocket red.Car was pald blue toyota crown hub caps stained glass religous stickers on the windows rosary beads on the rear vision mirror.Totally illegal engine conversion but you would be surprised how many people didn't see the swap,or want to race it cause 186 torrana ain't fast!Only ran 13.00@110 in 1990 full street trim but on the street it was pretty much untouchable by any asperated big or small block any make.A mate had a LH L34 HO TORRANA that car woud top 250kph/120 in 1st gear we did a rolling start from 60kmh saw 9000rpm in top befor he went past me he said he saw 225 kmh as he went by.Just typing this brings back real good memories.If i can get anothder little torrie i'll do another and being i'm not as dumb as i was at 19 it's a 10 sec combo with whats avaliable now.When out street racing the cops would just roll on by and bust everyone else,the only problem was the bleeding from the ears it was loud with 1/2 the engine inside the cabin.There is also a 69 z28 with a 426 crossram hemi owned by peter gratz(old doorslammer racer rhats been on the street here for quite a while.Cross breed cars are like cross breed dogs none of the genitic faults that that the pure breeds have.
Posted By: j.mcconnell

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/19/15 07:19 AM

No one is going to polish up a 40yr old mopar and go as fast as you can with a street-able late model for the same cash. For the money I spent on just paint and body work on my Duster, I could be deep in the 10s in just about any late model chassis with a turbo LS including the car/truck.

Cheap, Fast, Mopar. Pick two.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/19/15 07:36 AM

Nope!
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/19/15 08:58 AM

Many years ago, we had a local guy with a Hemi in 55 Chevy panel called Rat Patrol. Loved that car!

I think early in the Rettig Brothers career, they had Don Wann piloting a 57 Chevy with a (supposedly) 383 wedge.

Myself, I think a hot small block mopar in a 62-64 Nova post would be cool.

The other combo that I'd like see is a small black mopar in a Datsun 240z, or 510 coupe. Or even a 510 wagon!
Posted By: Oyvind Mopar

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/19/15 11:06 AM

A friend of mine has a Dart with a built bored and stroked Caddilac 547 engine, he says it fits the car quite well. Street and strip, lots of torque.... It is the "Dartilac"
Posted By: STEFF

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/19/15 01:16 PM

Two thirds of the the drivetrain in my Road Runner is cross bred......Turbo 400 Trans & Ford 9". Do what you want & be happy.
Posted By: d7cook

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/19/15 05:43 PM

I have a Mopar powered 68 Buick.

I also have a 1972 Buick GS I'm hoping a Hemi fits into.
Posted By: NTOLERANCE

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/21/15 01:55 PM

Not mine I think its traded hands a few times.

https://madison.craigslist.org/cto/4839645421.html
Posted By: hustlin hoosier

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/21/15 10:01 PM

If you go to, Hustling Hoosier Facebook, there is a video with our new NMCA NA 10.50 car, a 1988 hatchback. It has a 632 wedge in it and runs 5.0's which converted to 1/4 times is very near the nmca record. Factory rear end, and factory rear sus. 28 x 10.50 tires no bars. We are at 1 min 52 seconds in. The car is now disassembled to be beautified. Will be at Bradenton in March to start the 2015 NMCA season. "GO MOPAR"!
Posted By: BBR

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/21/15 10:48 PM

Quote:

No room under the hood.

Ha. BBF 10.300" deck height.

As far as cross breeds go, I am dying to do a turbo GenIII swap in this car. It's just not in the cards quite yet....

Attached picture 8403798-motor.jpg

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/21/15 10:58 PM

Under the stock 83 hood. I have also considered an RB swap in the car.

Attached picture 8403818-03-31-12_1936.jpg
Posted By: mshred

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/22/15 12:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

No room under the hood.

Ha. BBF 10.300" deck height.

As far as cross breeds go, I am dying to do a turbo GenIII swap in this car. It's just not in the cards quite yet....

Keep the BBF in there!!!

I am no Ford guy, but would LOVE to build a big inch Ford motor and stick it in a fox chassis car! They can make MEGA power, and if your gonna go through the hassle of building a small block for a street car, a huge inch pump gas motor just makes more sense imo

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/22/15 12:57 AM

It's staying a BBF for a while. It is currently out of the car getting getting a few more cubes (545 to a 552), some cylinder head upgrades and maybe a 150 shot of N2O even though it is limited to 9.99.

It's a fun car, runs on 91, drive to the track, race it, drive it home, forget about it until next time, repeat.
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/22/15 05:38 AM

I recall to of my favs from back in the day. My brother's buddy had a Hemi in a 55 Panel wagon: Rat Patrol.

I seem to recall Retting Bros having a blue 57 Chevy with a Mopar wedge in it around the same time.

I would LOVE to do a SBM in a 62-64 Nova(post)sedan.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/22/15 03:26 PM

I'd like to do a GenII trans-am w/ a BB mopar and 4 speed.
Posted By: dbran451

Re: Ever consider a crossbreed? - 01/22/15 03:56 PM

I don't beleave in cross breading if its born mopar leave it the way it was born I did that on my latest project

Attached picture 8404498-WP_20150117_0021.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums