Moparts

aluminum drum in 727

Posted By: littlejohn44

aluminum drum in 727 - 01/07/15 03:07 AM

I have my 727 getting a overhaul new valve body, new kit .bolt in sprag, and aluminum drum. The kit has the band for the cast drum. Where do yall get the red lined band for the aluminum drum? Is there any brand recommended?
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: aluminum drum in 727 - 01/07/15 03:17 AM

smooth band for alloy drum

https://www.coperacingtrans.com/product_...5d860a21a6d320f

Re: aluminum drum in 727 - 01/07/15 03:56 AM

wow 100 bucks and 25$ core! Is that a going rate?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: aluminum drum in 727 - 01/07/15 04:16 AM

Those drums are cool but they will wear out faster than a Walmart Tire---Coan and some others are doing Hybrid drums with steel sheel over aluminum for Powerglides--not sure about Mopars but--if you use one for bracket racing you are tossing cash in the trash--Class cars it is a must have to get that fraction of a second but otherwise...
Posted By: DragtimeDodge

Re: aluminum drum in 727 - 01/07/15 04:24 AM

I used billet steel drums in my 727s. Strong as hell and they last much longer than aluminum. It's a bracket car so I don't care if it slows me down a bit.
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: aluminum drum in 727 - 01/07/15 04:45 AM

Quote:

I used billet steel drums in my 727s. Strong as hell and they last much longer than aluminum. It's a bracket car so I don't care if it slows me down a bit.

Same here. I wouldn't bother with an aluminum drum for a bracket car. Just not worth the hassle and extra cost.
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: aluminum drum in 727 - 01/07/15 04:51 AM

http://www.tcsproducts.com/products/product/369/
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: aluminum drum in 727 - 01/07/15 04:52 AM

Quote:

wow 100 bucks and 25$ core! Is that a going rate?

you bought an aluminum drum and your quibbling over a $100 band?
Posted By: wyoming

Re: aluminum drum in 727 - 01/07/15 05:09 AM

They can last a long time, heck mine is at least 15 years old, I haven't raced a whole lot last 3 years, but made average 100 passes a year for at least 10 years. You do have to keep the filter and fluid changed often, that use to be cheap, but tranny fluid has gotten pretty high. Right after I bought mine I started seeing some steels for sale, they haven't been around as long as the aluminum, if I was buying today Id go with steel probably, but the aluminum drum doesn't wear that fast.
Posted By: dvw

Re: aluminum drum in 727 - 01/07/15 05:33 AM

Quote:

Those drums are cool but they will wear out faster than a Walmart Tire---Coan and some others are doing Hybrid drums with steel sheel over aluminum for Powerglides--not sure about Mopars but--if you use one for bracket racing you are tossing cash in the trash--Class cars it is a must have to get that fraction of a second but otherwise...

I've found very little wear on mine so far 100 passes. It picked my car up .10 @ 1.5 mph in the 1/8. No 1/4 mile mph improvement but it carried .13-.14 through to the end. I should mention that I had many passes with the A&A steel drum and the A&A aluminum drum. These results were averages of well over 100 passes.
Doug

Re: aluminum drum in 727 - 01/07/15 03:25 PM

i didnt buy it so much for the improved time as for the safety. When i started this project a couple years ago, i got a good deal it. Seeing pics of a tranny explode got me wanting to be as safe as i could be on the trans build.
Posted By: cl440

Re: aluminum drum in 727 - 01/07/15 04:04 PM

We switched from Aluminum to Billet Steel a while back. Car didn't slow at all. Only thing that changed was my fluid and filter would last the entire season rather than 25 passes like with the Aluminum drum.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: aluminum drum in 727 - 01/07/15 04:13 PM

Mine showed no wear after five+ years racing. I got trans used. Would change fluid twice a year. Rick Allision had it apart last summer said it looked great and no dirt was getting in it.
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: aluminum drum in 727 - 01/08/15 03:53 AM

Had an a&a aluminum drum in mine, no significant wear after five years of street/ race use. Rick at A&A said he had seen some wear in the sealing ring area of some of the trans' he had apart. He seemed to think it was a fluid related problem, because it was random. some had it, some didn't I always used redline synthetic trans fluid.
I also used this drum as a safety feature more so than for quick spin-up.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: aluminum drum in 727 - 01/08/15 05:11 PM

Quote:

I have my 727 getting a overhaul new valve body, new kit .bolt in sprag, and aluminum drum. The kit has the band for the cast drum. Where do yall get the red lined band for the aluminum drum? Is there any brand recommended?

Bolt in sprag ? which one ? I'm going to ASSuME that since you were shocked at the price of the red lined band that you are going for the basic replacment ? If so and the outer race is not loose in the case or damaged it's a COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY. If you are putting in a super or ulitamte sprag with more rollers then continue on ...

Street car or race ? Alum drum I don't think is street friendly ...
© 2024 Moparts Forums