Moparts

Taking on another project. Engine break-in stand

Posted By: pittsburghracer

Taking on another project. Engine break-in stand - 12/28/14 03:33 AM

Been wanting an engine break-in stand for years so I started looking around. I found one on Amazon for less than 275 dollars but reading the feedback MOST of the guys reworked it. I found a set of plans on ebay for 8.50 and the plans are emailed to you for a fold up stand. The plans look GREAT and I should be attacking this project soon as Matt and I have 5 engines to build. We started removing inner springs on our cam break ins so this should help. I will let you know how it goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUtmE0MYhlQ&feature=youtu.be

Re: Taking on another project. Engine break-in stand - 12/28/14 11:33 PM

Well I ordered all the metal needed to build a fold-able, well built engine break-in stand from onlinemetals. They cut anything you order to size at no added cost. The metal needed and delivery came to almost 500 dollars but this thing should last several lifetimes. LOL. The one I looked at on Amazon was cheaply build and most of the guys beefed theirs up before using it. Can't wait to get started. Here is a link to the one i could have bought for 280 dollars

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007NXVB0/ref=...amp;dra_ohs=0-0
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Taking on another project. Engine break-in stand - 12/28/14 11:49 PM

why do you need one

Re: Taking on another project. Engine break-in stand - 12/28/14 11:56 PM

Kinda just an itch I had but it will help with cam break-ins and spring changes. Lots of guys buying engines now like to hear them run and when selling them I would rather break the cams in. LOTS of guys have issues on initial fire-ups.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Taking on another project. Engine break-in stand - 12/29/14 12:18 AM

i didn't know you sold motors
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Taking on another project. Engine break-in stand - 12/29/14 12:24 AM

Quote:

Kinda just an itch I had but it will help with cam break-ins and spring changes. Lots of guys buying engines now like to hear them run and when selling them I would rather break the cams in. LOTS of guys have issues on initial fire-ups.

I would like to see some pics as you go along if you don't mind.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Taking on another project. Engine break-in stand - 12/29/14 12:46 AM

I made 8 of them at work... they were a break in cart
or a dyno cart... made out of 2" X 3" steel with adjustable
mounts... the front panel could be taken off if it was
going on the dyno... had casters on it.. the tank and
battery hung on the front lower cross bar... I wish
I would have kept a pic of them(but wasnt allowed to
being its a company job)

Re: Taking on another project. Engine break-in stand - 12/29/14 01:59 AM

Quote:

i didn't know you sold motors

Gotta make a buck went you get a chance when your on a fixed retirement.

Re: Taking on another project. Engine break-in stand - 12/29/14 02:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I would like to see some pics as you go along if you don't mind.

Will do. The plans look real nice and he also sent pictures of other guys builds.
Posted By: roadrunninMark

Re: Taking on another project. Engine break-in stand - 12/29/14 02:07 AM

That plastic gas can right by the engine and battery would cause me some concern.
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: Taking on another project. Engine break-in stand - 12/29/14 02:24 AM

Quote:

That plastic gas can right by the engine and battery would cause me some concern.

I have seen some very well respected engine shops that have their plastic fuel cell in their dyno cell next to the engine
I mounted mine outside the cell with shut offs inside and out.
Better safe then sorry
Keith

Re: Taking on another project. Engine break-in stand - 12/29/14 02:49 AM

I have to come up with something for fuel storage. 2-4 gallon would be more than enough so I may practice my tig (lack of) skills. Lots of Holley blue pumps laying around so I have that covered. Also have an unused aluminum rad here so that will be put in service.
Posted By: Cudajon

Re: Taking on another project. Engine break-in stand - 12/29/14 03:08 AM

Before you get too deep go the a vo-tech that teaches auto maint or a high school. When I taught we had several well built that went through numerous engine changes and rough handling and still worked like a charm. Had a radiator so you could get plenty of break-in time. Students needed that because I would break the engine and they have to fix it. The radiator was very small.
Posted By: 85_Ram_4speed

Re: Taking on another project. Engine break-in stand - 12/29/14 03:13 AM

I built this one a couple years ago--after determining that most prebuilt ones were cheap and good ones were out of my price range and either way none had some features I wanted. I have about $400 into it. The 8" casters were expensive, I tried pneumatic 8" tires before, that was a no go. To much weight for them and by the time you got enough pressure in them, they were ready to pop off the rims--plus it rocked--a lot, when you revved the engine.

It is still a work in progress, I modify it as I go along. It is currently set up to run big and small block Mopars, and big and small Chebby's. Also have a bellhousing for a slant six too if it ever arises.

I have been using a Chrysler electronic ignition to fire all the engines run so far--I made an adapter to hook it to MSD distributors. I don't bother with the mechanical fan anymore, I also have a blue pump and regulator to run engines set up for electric pumps. Mechanical pump engines I run through that pump to verify all is operational. I run a volt gauge, oil gauge and temp gauge. My timing light has a tach function on it.

A 1.5-2 gallon fuel supply has been more than adequate for engine break in so far, I have just recently got a dedicated gas tank that I need to mount up somewhere. As far as where to mount the batter, wherever you can find room to do so. I still have to make a bracket/box, but want it not permanetly mounted to the stand.

The exhaust is a couple of 2.5" swapmeet "turbo" mufflers. I have about two feet of straight pipe after them. I use various adapters I made for manifolds that go to 2.5" or just use 2.5" collectors on headers, and I have two 4 foot sections of flex pipe to connect to the mufflers. I just set the mufflers on jack stands.

I also made it high enough to be A)comfortable to work on, and B) if you ever had to drop the pan, you could while it was still on the stand. I also made it so the bellhousing support unbolts and you lay it down and rebolt it on so it is flush on the frame and the radiator yoke also unbolts.

This is by far one of the best investments I have made and has saved my bacon twice before engines got put into cars. One leaked water from a side head freeze plug, the other had a oil leak that was hard to spot from a valve cover in the rear.

Posted By: littlejohn44

Re: Taking on another project. Engine break-in stand - 12/29/14 06:58 AM

sweet stand , i am think of building one as well , would seem to make adjusting and changing parts and seeing how they work so much easier in winter months. Do you have any more pics like of the back and of the front. looking for ideas.

Re: Taking on another project. Engine break-in stand - 12/29/14 01:35 PM

I will post a couple more later for you.

Re: Taking on another project. Engine break-in stand - 12/29/14 01:55 PM

Quote:

sweet stand , i am think of building one as well , would seem to make adjusting and changing parts and seeing how they work so much easier in winter months. Do you have any more pics like of the back and of the front. looking for ideas.

Don't be afraid to buy these plans as they are laid out pretty nice. For $8.50 I think they are well worth it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331051831960
Posted By: Vert

Re: Taking on another project. Engine break-in stand - 12/29/14 07:20 PM

That looks pretty good. I still want one of these. Starts as a run stand, but front section with controls, radiator, fuel comes off easily. Set up so it can be used for loaded k-frame under the car installs also.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/06/aaro...ches-of-awesome Speedhunters...
Posted By: 451Cuda

Re: Taking on another project. Engine break-in stand - 12/29/14 08:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Don't be afraid to buy these plans as they are laid out pretty nice. For $8.50 I think they are well worth it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331051831960

Just ordered a set, looks like a great design.

Re: Taking on another project. Engine break-in stand - 12/29/14 09:11 PM

Well worth the price
Posted By: Tech Instructor

Re: Taking on another project. Engine break-in stand - 12/30/14 04:14 AM

That,s the same stand I built very good design.

Attached picture 8377755-IMAGE008.jpg

Re: Taking on another project. Engine break-in stand - 12/30/14 04:37 AM

I ordered the metal on line Sunday and its cut and on its way today. With the holiday UPS says I should have it on Friday.

Re: Taking on another project. Engine break-in stand - 12/30/14 04:41 AM

Quote:

That,s the same stand I built very good design.

That looks very nice.
Posted By: mrrandyj

Re: Taking on another project. Engine break-in stand - 12/30/14 05:31 AM

I went a little different route with mine. Space is a premium over here, and I didn't want to have something else to store that would take up a lot of room. I made up some brackets that sit on the legs of a cherry picker. They take up almost no room and are very easy to set up on the hoist. Here are a couple pictures:

Posted By: 68cuda440

Re: Taking on another project. Engine break-in stand - 12/30/14 05:58 AM

Quote:

I made up some brackets that sit on the legs of a cherry picker. They take up almost no room and are very easy to set up on the hoist.

That my friend, is a thing of beauty. Pure utility and engine-uity.

-Michael
Posted By: markz528

Re: Taking on another project. Engine break-in stand - 12/30/14 03:47 PM

Quote:

I went a little different route with mine. Space is a premium over here, and I didn't want to have something else to store that would take up a lot of room. I made up some brackets that sit on the legs of a cherry picker. They take up almost no room and are very easy to set up on the hoist. Here are a couple pictures:

I love it but how do you get the motor on and off?
Posted By: mrrandyj

Re: Taking on another project. Engine break-in stand - 12/31/14 02:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I love it but how do you get the motor on and off?

I use the hoist to put the motor on and off of itself. In the pictures above the boom is extended out, but when I am putting the engine on it I have the boom slid all the way in. I use a long 3-4 foot chain so there is enough slack to allow the engine to spin 180 degrees from coming off a engine stand.

Re: Taking on another project. Engine break-in stand - 12/31/14 03:19 AM

As promised, a few more pics. Some of these were when I was building it still. The 383 was the first engine I built the stand for and ran.

As you can see, the front legs just float on the bottom of the stand and are adjustable, I have 3 different sets of mounts so far, they just slide in the top and I run a bolt through to set the required height.

This shows the rear. The rear plate is drilled for various bellhousings. I actually use the front of a automatic trans case that was cut off being for the BBM and SBM as Chrysler bellhousings are a small fortune. I scored a harder to find big flywheel Chebby bellhousing for a song at a swap meet, they are normally a hundred dollars too. Goal here is to keep the parts as cheap as possible unless your going to run 5 engines a week on the thing.

With a BB Chebby on it, but you can see the blue pump mounted on the side. Also seen is the exhaust I use.

Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: Taking on another project. Engine break-in stand - 12/31/14 06:41 PM

When you used the 727 AT bellhousing, what do you use for a ring gear? A standard flywheel maybe?

Brian
Posted By: DAYTONA540

Re: Taking on another project. Engine break-in stand - 12/31/14 07:04 PM

On the fly wheel, you can use a stock flywheel or a jw flexplate for a powerglide there's always some for sale pretty cheap after the cert has expired on here and R/J.

Re: Taking on another project. Engine break-in stand - 12/31/14 07:43 PM

Quote:

On the fly wheel, you can use a stock flywheel or a jw flexplate for a powerglide there's always some for sale pretty cheap after the cert has expired on here and R/J.

That's the route I will be going as a already have some.
Posted By: cgall

Re: Taking on another project. Engine break-in stand - 12/31/14 09:16 PM

Wow, that engine stand set attached to the legs of the hoist looks like a marketable idea! Anyone have a SBC block I can borrow before the people at Harbor Freight see this?

Re: Taking on another project. Engine break-in stand - 01/01/15 01:55 AM

Quote:

When you used the 727 AT bellhousing, what do you use for a ring gear? A standard flywheel maybe?

Brian

I actually used old torque converters and sliced the front off just past the ring gear. I have three of them, 727 big and small pattern, and a 904. Just bolt them up to whatever flexplate the engine is using---you did remember to have the flexplate balanced with the rotating assembly, right?

If you know the right people that hang on to junk, you can usually get it for free. The only thing on the bells/converters I paid for was for the BB bell ($75 shipped---still cheaper than an actual clutch bellhousing). I basically paid someone their time to cut it off where I requested and ship it to me. All the rest of the bells and converter stuff was donated to me.

The Chebby stuff is easy, the flexplates have a ring gear on them, and I have a small stack of them I somehow accumulated without knowing.
Posted By: Jwilli500

Re: Taking on another project. Engine break-in stand - 01/23/15 08:55 PM

Something I noticed after receiving a set of those plans from Ebay was that it's designed for motor mounts straight across from each other. I believe our Mopars have one a little farther ahead than the other. It's still doable, it's just something you'll have to address. In the links to videos that he sends there is one big block Mopar running on one of his stands. I has an adaptor to mount the starter and torque convertor with no bell housing. That looked a little scary to me.
© 2024 Moparts Forums