Moparts

Joss Engines 468ci. SB All Aluminum Ritter XR Engine

Posted By: StrokerAspen

Joss Engines 468ci. SB All Aluminum Ritter XR Engine - 12/19/14 06:37 AM

Hey everyone, as I stated a little while back in another thread, I would do a build thread on this engine when we were seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. There were many challenges in making this thing come together to what you see now. Many are wondering what issues we ran into using the Ritter Racing XR Aluminum block. I think I might do a seperate thread for that. I would first like to talk with Kent about this block. IT IS THE PROTOTYPE ALUMINUM BLOCK.

1050 dominator
Indy rect. Port intake.
Indy 360-1 245cc CNC heads
Ritter Racing Aluminum XR 48 degree block.
12.2:1 compression
4.185" bore Ross custom forged piston. -16cc inverted dome
GRP 6.300" Rod
BPE 4.250" stroke crank
Comp solid roller
277/284 @ .050"
.724"/.693" lift.
110LSA
1-7/8" primaries 3-1/2" collector

This info is subject to change as I am at home sitting on my couch and this is off the top of my head.

Video of the engine warming up.

Joss Engines Aluminum Small block Mopar: http://youtu.be/0rzf3r21Q4g

-Kenny
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Joss Engines 468ci. SB All Aluminum Ritter XR Engine - 12/19/14 01:59 PM

Looks good, what did it make on the dyno. Must be a torque monster with all those cubes.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Joss Engines 468ci. SB All Aluminum Ritter XR Engine - 12/19/14 02:17 PM

Looks good Kenny. Have you thought about a larger tube header, maybe 2" primary with a 4" collector?

Re: Joss Engines 468ci. SB All Aluminum Ritter XR Engine - 12/19/14 06:13 PM

Quote:

Looks good, what did it make on the dyno. Must be a torque monster with all those cubes.

We haven't done a whole lot of pulling on it yet. It will be being disassembled to address the one last problem we are having with this block. The oil drain back is not enough. The holes provided aren't enough, and the small amount of crank case pressure is keeping the oil from draining back well.

We have made a pull to 6500, and we were seeing 100 points (This works out to 650hp) We are of course expecting much more than that out of this thing, as it is very similar to the engine in my car.

Quote:

Looks good Kenny. Have you thought about a larger tube header, maybe 2" primary with a 4" collector?

These headers are our dyno headers and not the headers which will be in the car. I could see benefit from a 2" primary, how much, I am not sure. Maybe the best bet on this would be a step because of the port size. 4" exhaust for sure wouldn't hurt. My car at the same cubes is huffing through 3" street exhaust still and the fastest it has run is with the pipes on.

-Kenny
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Joss Engines 468ci. SB All Aluminum Ritter XR Engine - 12/19/14 07:35 PM

I would sure like to hear some good results from these blocks in the near future. I would LOVE to have one sitting on my engine stand.

Re: Joss Engines 468ci. SB All Aluminum Ritter XR Engine - 12/19/14 08:02 PM

Quote:

I would sure like to hear some good results from these blocks in the near future. I would LOVE to have one sitting on my engine stand.

I agree John. I want to see these things succeed. With the shortage/discontinued R3, we have no other options as small block guys at the moment, and I want to see these Ritter blocks become not just the only option, but a GOOD option. The potential is there.

I made a deal on a 6.4L hemi that was a take out of one of the new 2014 2500 Ram's at our dealership, and I will be digging more into these things as higher HP options to pursue.

-Kenny
Posted By: MattW

Re: Joss Engines 468ci. SB All Aluminum Ritter XR Engine - 12/19/14 08:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I agree John. I want to see these things succeed. With the shortage/discontinued R3, we have no other options as small block guys at the moment, and I want to see these Ritter blocks become not just the only option, but a GOOD option. The potential is there.

I made a deal on a 6.4L hemi that was a take out of one of the new 2014 2500 Ram's at our dealership, and I will be digging more into these things as higher HP options to pursue.

-Kenny

Can I ask why they pulled the engine?
Matt

Re: Joss Engines 468ci. SB All Aluminum Ritter XR Engine - 12/19/14 08:21 PM

Yeah Matt, the engine took in water, hydraulic'd and busted one rod and bent another. Ill be checking the block out before going ahead with it.

-Kenny
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: Joss Engines 468ci. SB All Aluminum Ritter XR Engine - 12/20/14 01:12 AM

Looks good, sounds cool too. Can't wait to see how it runs.... and how things go with the block

Re: Joss Engines 468ci. SB All Aluminum Ritter XR Engine - 12/20/14 02:27 AM

Quote:

Yeah Matt, the engine took in water, hydraulic'd and busted one rod and bent another. Ill be checking the block out before going ahead with it.

-Kenny

Man I hope it was because the driver when through a lake or something.
Not a design flaw.
Thanks for the info looking forward your XR results

Re: Joss Engines 468ci. SB All Aluminum Ritter XR Engine - 12/20/14 06:54 PM

Not a design flaw.

Yeah, I believe someone sunk their work truck.

I phoned Kent yesterday, he was a bit busy and so I briefly chatted with him a bit, and let him know the engine was now running. He wants to chat more on Monday about the engine, so we will see how things go.

-Kenny

Re: Joss Engines 468ci. SB All Aluminum Ritter XR Engine - 12/20/14 07:25 PM

Quote:

Not a design flaw.

Yeah, I believe someone sunk their work truck.

I phoned Kent yesterday, he was a bit busy and so I briefly chatted with him a bit, and let him know the engine was now running. He wants to chat more on Monday about the engine, so we will see how things go.

-Kenny

I've dealt with Ken in the past. Have no trouble buying stuff from him.
Hope you and him can iron out the problems.
There is nowhere else to go with the La small block.
Btw is your ali block sleeved, or sprayed with the hardening stuff.
Can't think of the name. Lol
Posted By: onig

Re: Joss Engines 468ci. SB All Aluminum Ritter XR Engine - 12/20/14 08:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Btw is your ali block sleeved, or sprayed with the hardening stuff.
Can't think of the name. Lol

Nickelsil, I believe.
Posted By: thedriver

Re: Joss Engines 468ci. SB All Aluminum Ritter XR Engine - 12/21/14 08:18 AM

Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Joss Engines 468ci. SB All Aluminum Ritter XR Engine - 05/31/15 05:51 PM

Any news on this deal???
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: Joss Engines 468ci. SB All Aluminum Ritter XR Engine - 05/31/15 06:33 PM

I asked you a long time ago what head gasket you were running. there was no gasket on the planet that would seal up my block Kent is an idiot P7 water jacket is different than a LA Block I spent a ton of cash having gaskets made I have a part number you probably need sorry you munched your motor
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: Joss Engines 468ci. SB All Aluminum Ritter XR Engine - 06/06/15 01:59 AM

Originally Posted By J_BODY
Any news on this deal???
nope I guess no news is still bad news
Posted By: LA360

Re: Joss Engines 468ci. SB All Aluminum Ritter XR Engine - 06/06/15 03:57 AM

These block castings were really designed with the P7 in mind, the wedge stuff seems to be an after thought.

Re: Joss Engines 468ci. SB All Aluminum Ritter XR Engine - 08/06/15 12:38 AM

Originally Posted By WHITEDART
I asked you a long time ago what head gasket you were running. there was no gasket on the planet that would seal up my block Kent is an idiot P7 water jacket is different than a LA Block I spent a ton of cash having gaskets made I have a part number you probably need sorry you munched your motor

Hey WHITEDART, we are using a Cometic gasket. It wasn't one of the issues for us on this block.

As stated in another thread today, I have been away from moparts for quite a while, starting my own business. I will have more info on this deal shortly! Thanks.

-Kenny
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Joss Engines 468ci. SB All Aluminum Ritter XR Engine - 08/06/15 05:35 AM

Still watching...... not expecting much, but watching.

Re: Joss Engines 468ci. SB All Aluminum Ritter XR Engine - 10/02/15 07:27 PM

I should probably post an update. We have addressed all issues we had with the Ritter block, and it is ready to be picked up. I am looking forward to seeing it in the car and making passes down the track!

-Kenny
© 2024 Moparts Forums