Moparts

Trans blanket ?

Posted By: gch

Trans blanket ? - 01/07/09 02:53 AM

In light of Chip's tranny massacre I have been thinking about my own feet.What is the best protection for an auto to limit the potential damage from such an explosion?
The TCI streetfighter trans has been a trooper but it does have some miles and I am collecting parts for another build that should be in the 600+ hp range.
What are you guys using on a street car??
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: Trans blanket ? - 01/07/09 02:59 AM

Just from my experience,I would get a CSR sheild.They suck to install in a stock bodied car,but the few I have run blankets on retained too much heat.
Just my
Posted By: Duner

Re: Trans blanket ? - 01/07/09 03:10 AM

Does the CSR shield allow the trans to cool that much better?

I'm running an RCI blanket on mine - on the street, and I am certainly making some heat with the 4,000 stall convertor and 4,000+ lbs.
Posted By: Kevins493

Re: Trans blanket ? - 01/07/09 03:18 AM

I don't know that it does unless it conducts the heat better. I can take pics of mine (CSR) if you like, the trans is out of the car right now (I pulled it with the motor).

Re: Trans blanket ? - 01/07/09 03:25 AM

That would be great if I could just see a couple of pics of it. I'm not sure they make one for my trans. I don't know enough about the different cases to know if a 727 shield would fit my 46RE trans.
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: Trans blanket ? - 01/07/09 03:25 AM

I have 2 bracket cars.On one ,I installed a blanket as soon as it was fast enough to need one,and the temps went way up.And this thing gets cooled between rounds.The second one got the CSR sheild once it was fast enough,without a noticable increase in temps.Both of them have front mounted coolers,and I have had the same convertor in both cars at one time or another.

So really the only difference I can see is the blanket for retaining heat,I can only imagine what it would do on the street.

Re: Trans blanket ? - 01/07/09 03:34 AM

It was real hard to get a decent pic givin the tranny's location (and its a little chilly in the garage. ) but here's some really bad pics of it.

Attached picture 4928951-Picture001.jpg

Re: Trans blanket ? - 01/07/09 03:35 AM

Attached picture 4928953-Picture003.jpg

Re: Trans blanket ? - 01/07/09 03:36 AM

Attached picture 4928962-Picture005.jpg
Posted By: Adobedude

Re: Trans blanket ? - 01/07/09 03:54 AM

I have a CSR shield on my CRT 727...But I've since seen pictures of a CSR shield looking like burnt pop corn too.

Re: Trans blanket ? - 01/07/09 04:09 AM

So is a blanket the only option for a stock bodied street car?Car in question is a 70 Dodge Polara.

Re: Trans blanket ? - 01/07/09 04:11 AM

Thank you.

That gives me a much better look at that shield.
I'll have to call their tech like to see if one of those would fit on my trans.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Trans blanket ? - 01/07/09 01:53 PM

Been running Lofgren designed trans blanket for years. They fit GREAT and cover the critical area of the torqueflight.

Attached picture 4929534-blanket.jpg
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Trans blanket ? - 01/07/09 01:55 PM

Chuck Lofgrens web site and info:

http://www.lofgrenautospecialties.com/view/transmissions_2.aspx

Re: Trans blanket ? - 01/08/09 02:24 PM

Thanks J_BODY
Posted By: Von

Re: Trans blanket ? - 01/08/09 04:50 PM

Quote:

Been running Lofgren designed trans blanket for years. They fit GREAT and cover the critical area of the torqueflight.

Ive got one of the Lofgren blankets. They fit very well!!
Posted By: MrMoparRacing

Re: Trans blanket ? - 01/08/09 04:54 PM

If you need a Trans blanket I have an RCI that I only used a couple of times. It has a few small grease stains but that is it. For $50 it's yours!
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: Trans blanket ? - 01/08/09 05:15 PM

fwiw, i have an rci on mine- fits fine. no overheating issues either. i think that's not even an issue as my heap is a street/strip 10 second monster that gets driven an hour to the track in 100+ degree heat, hot lapped, driven home, and my trans fluid temp has never gone over 200. ever. even when it was 114 last summer. i almost died on the way home. really. what matters is my car was fine. that's all that matters.
Posted By: G-Money1320

Re: Trans blanket ? - 01/08/09 05:18 PM

I also use a Lofgren on my 69 Dart street/strip car. It only goes mid 12's but I like the additional safety factor. For what its worth I bought a brand new RCI and I couldnt get it to fit worth a crap so I sold it and got the Lofgren,its a little tight getting it in while the trans is in the car but definately less hassle than the RCI.
Posted By: Voluster

Re: Trans blanket ? - 01/09/09 01:54 AM

I use a RCI blanket on mine also and never had any heat issues.
I drive it on the street and race it never really gets over 180ish I still use the stock radiator and a 2nd cooler with a 8 inch j converter

Phil
Posted By: Otherlane

Re: Trans blanket ? - 01/06/10 02:02 PM

I've been looking into getting a blanket.Are these hard to install while the trans is in the car?
Posted By: savoyracer

Re: Trans blanket ? - 01/06/10 02:25 PM

Judging from some of the pics I have seen on here, and witnessing a tranny explosion in person, the conclusion I came to is this; If you want to add to the shrapnel, get a shield. If you want to contain the explosion, get a blanket. Was not a difficult decision for me.

Re: Trans blanket ? - 01/06/10 02:53 PM

I have all the good parts in my trans and like to keep them there so I will be ordering a blanket today $170 is not bad insurance
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Trans blanket ? - 01/06/10 04:15 PM

I have a blanket and heard horror stories of heat in street cars but my temp has never gone above 160 degs. in summer high desert driving for as long as an hour at a time. As far as retaining the carnage......., I hope I never have to find out.
Posted By: cgall

Re: Trans blanket ? - 01/06/10 04:27 PM

Another exploding torqueflite post.

Why not plate your floor and tunnel with 9 ga. steel?
Posted By: flathood

Re: Trans blanket ? - 01/06/10 09:51 PM

I also run the blanket with no excessive heat issues.

Re: Trans blanket ? - 01/07/10 11:45 AM

I think this post is about a year old.i goggle trans blanket for 727 and I found this site.9 gauge steel? would a trans fit after doing that?im sitting trying to picture that.oh my new blanket is on the way
Posted By: mrplymouth

Re: Trans blanket ? - 01/07/10 06:09 PM

Quote:

Chuck Lofgrens web site and info:

http://www.lofgrenautospecialties.com/view/transmissions_2.aspx

This link does'nt work, site not available, please help, I want one of there blankets too !!!
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Trans blanket ? - 01/07/10 07:03 PM

When I was looking to get a lofgrens blanket I got the impression they didn't make them anymore
Posted By: 360904

Re: Trans blanket ? - 01/07/10 07:07 PM

I just called and talked to chuck, thay have them

Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Trans blanket ? - 01/07/10 07:12 PM

Posted By: rbstroker

Re: Trans blanket ? - 01/09/10 05:27 PM

Does the 904 have the same grenading issues as the 727?
Posted By: Mroctober

Re: Trans blanket ? - 01/09/10 07:28 PM

Quote:

I never see a 904 blow up!!! Case crack
Posted By: Phil Saran

Re: Trans blanket ? - 01/09/10 11:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I never see a 904 blow up!!! Case crack

Yes a 904 or a 727 can blow up, my buddies
stock eliminator cuda had one come appart on
him back in the 80's, came through the floor
and up through the dash, missed his foot.
Posted By: topside

Re: Trans blanket ? - 01/10/10 12:40 AM

Been running a CSI blanket on my drag car forever; no heat issues, but it's a tough installation and it blocks the band adjustments & pan, and is close to the headers. The Lofgren blanket looks easier to deal with, though apparently with no containment on the bottom (pan area).
Either way, it's a requirement for my car, and now that NHRA is treating them like harnesses, I'll look into the Lofgren piece. I've never seen a TF explode downtrack, so perhaps shrapnel & fluid getting to the rear tires at speed isn't an issue. Keeping shrapnel out of my feet & legs, though, is.
Posted By: blownzoom440

Re: Trans blanket ? - 01/10/10 12:52 AM

Quote:

Been running a CSI blanket on my drag car forever; no heat issues, but it's a tough installation and it blocks the band adjustments & pan, and is close to the headers. The Lofgren blanket looks easier to deal with, though apparently with no containment on the bottom (pan area).
Either way, it's a requirement for my car, and now that NHRA is treating them like harnesses, I'll look into the Lofgren piece. I've never seen a TF explode downtrack, so perhaps shrapnel & fluid getting to the rear tires at speed isn't an issue. Keeping shrapnel out of my feet & legs, though, is.

checkout DJ's trans blanket as an option also.it has a hole for the shifter.covers the pan and the buckles are under the pan.what i look for in a blanket.
Posted By: Mroctober

Re: Trans blanket ? - 01/10/10 01:36 AM

Your friend must had 727

Re: Trans blanket ? - 01/10/10 02:49 PM

A&A has a blanket also but I never thought about this until I looked on his site. are you guys run the trans blanket are you using a stock or a deep pan? he has one for each.
© 2024 Moparts Forums