Moparts

Dyno vs. Dragstrip Tuning

Posted By: chryco

Dyno vs. Dragstrip Tuning - 12/15/14 02:04 AM

Hi! Hypothetically speaking , If you receive an engine from the builder and have all the numbers after the dyno testing and tuning. All set up for max torque and HP. At aprox. the same altitude and weather conditions. What further tuning would be needed as far as timing , jetting , etc. would be needed at the track? I`d appreciate your input.
Thanks !
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Dyno vs. Dragstrip Tuning - 12/15/14 02:10 AM

When I did dyno my stuff it was just to check for leaks, get a base tune then tweek it so I can put it in the car then hit the track which is where the REAL tuning starts.
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: Dyno vs. Dragstrip Tuning - 12/15/14 02:22 AM

Depending on who and where it is dyno tuned by it can be spot on or way off.
Some shops have dyno setups that don't have an adjustable acceleration rate and that doesn't help as much. I adjust the acceleration rate on mine to match the expectations of the car it is going in
My customers are normally as good on the tune up as they can get. Typically they find 0 gains by changing things
Keith

Re: Dyno vs. Dragstrip Tuning - 12/15/14 02:26 AM

Sounds interesting.............
Posted By: Brian Hafliger

Re: Dyno vs. Dragstrip Tuning - 12/15/14 02:48 AM

Quote:

Some shops have dyno setups that don't have an adjustable acceleration rate and that doesn't help as much. I adjust the acceleration rate on mine to match the expectations of the car it is going in
My customers are normally as good on the tune up as they can get. Typically they find 0 gains by changing things
Keith

I have found the same thing.
Posted By: quickd100

Re: Dyno vs. Dragstrip Tuning - 12/15/14 03:26 AM

X2

Re: Dyno vs. Dragstrip Tuning - 12/15/14 03:28 AM

Some dynos on the market let the engine accelerate at whatever speed it wants to and the computer converts the information into an estimated value of what the engine should put out at a certain acceleration rate.
Those aren't very accurate and from the couple of engine builds I helped guys tune at the track that came from them, they liked a couple of degrees more timing and a couple of jet sizes more fun we like at the track.
Keith

Re: Dyno vs. Dragstrip Tuning - 12/15/14 04:22 AM

Quote:

Some dynos on the market let the engine accelerate at whatever speed it wants to and the computer converts the information into an estimated value of what the engine should put out at a certain acceleration rate.
Those aren't very accurate and from the couple of engine builds I helped guys tune at the track that came from them, they liked a couple of degrees more timing and a couple of jet sizes more fun we like at the track.
Keith

That`s what I`ve seen............
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Dyno vs. Dragstrip Tuning - 12/15/14 05:21 AM

Make sure the tune up is safe and then take it to the track, look at the time slips and spark plugs and go from there Some of the dyno I have used have big pusher and puller fans feeding them(the dyno room) fresh air. If your dyno had postitve pressure in the dyno room during the testing your motor had some artificial boost Been there, done that I ended up opening the dyno room doors, turned off the pusher fans and left the exhaut fans on and redid the pulls to see how much differences I found. Test, test and test some more Another thing to keep in mind is not only the weather on the day of the dyno tuning but the altitude as well as the density altitude at the dyno and race tracks Sometimes more power spins the tires worst also
Posted By: sr4440

Re: Dyno vs. Dragstrip Tuning - 12/15/14 05:55 AM

Quote:

Keith

X2

I also like them to bring their own ignition box with them, especially if it's a 7al3

Joe
Posted By: racerx

Re: Dyno vs. Dragstrip Tuning - 12/15/14 05:44 PM

I ended up opening the dyno room doors, turned off the pusher fans and left the exhaut fans on and redid the pulls to see how much differences I found.

So Cab.......did you see any difference in HP #s?
Posted By: moper

Re: Dyno vs. Dragstrip Tuning - 12/15/14 08:15 PM

It all depends on the dyno, the operator, the environment, and ultimately the differences between those and the real-world environment of the chassis it's going in. Most street cars generally display a drop of some sort when comparing mph numbers vs a dyno slip. I've always attributed these to shops that use the tricks noted already, test at 160° water temp, run sprint car type dyno headers, no parasitic losses, etc. While a purpose built race car might not show much of a change the tune should not be identical when you go from the bell and airflow meter to an under-hood drop base aircleaner, and from large tube, equal length sprint chassis headers to a set set of smaller tube, unequal length, small collector chassis headers with a full exhaust.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Dyno vs. Dragstrip Tuning - 12/15/14 08:38 PM

Quote:

I ended up opening the dyno room doors, turned off the pusher fans and left the exhaut fans on and redid the pulls to see how much differences I found.

So Cab.......did you see any difference in HP #s?

To be real truthful I don't remember exactly how much less it made, that was one of the first pump gas engines I built and dyno tested a long time ago(1991-93 or so). It was a pump gas 426 C.I. M.W. with stock cross ram and carbs. with a true 9.46 to 1 compression ratio. I got a best of 499.6 HP at 5600 RPM and a little more torque than HP IHTHs

Re: Dyno vs. Dragstrip Tuning - 12/15/14 08:58 PM

That's why I try to run the same components as used in the car. I keep several sets of headers around and none are dyno or spent car type. The airflow meter on top of the carburetor gets used for some measurements as nd figures but it actually costs a few horsepower
Keith

Attached picture 8363161-NCM_0647.JPG
Posted By: sr4440

Re: Dyno vs. Dragstrip Tuning - 12/15/14 09:04 PM

Quote:

Make sure the tune up is safe and then take it to the track, look at the time slips and spark plugs and go from there Some of the dyno I have used have big pusher and puller fans feeding them(the dyno room) fresh air. If your dyno had postitve pressure in the dyno room during the testing your motor had some artificial boost Been there, done that I ended up opening the dyno room doors, turned off the pusher fans and left the exhaut fans on and redid the pulls to see how much differences I found. Test, test and test some more Another thing to keep in mind is not only the weather on the day of the dyno tuning but the altitude as well as the density altitude at the dyno and race tracks Sometimes more power spins the tires worst also

Newer dynos log the weather conditions during the run. I typically see .3 of a degree temperature rise during a pull. Also I run my fan with a .01 hg negative pressure in the test cell. The dyno will change the correction factor in response to changing conditions during the pull.

Joe

Re: Dyno vs. Dragstrip Tuning - 12/15/14 09:07 PM

When I dynoed my 470 w/906`s and a solid Isky cam, we used my headers and even mounted the alt. but it wasn`t charging.......... It made 614.9 hp and 580+ tq...........
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Dyno vs. Dragstrip Tuning - 12/15/14 09:43 PM

Sonny Leonard to me to jet richer two sizes from the dyno to the strip.
Posted By: Duner

Re: Dyno vs. Dragstrip Tuning - 12/15/14 10:18 PM

All good info.

I realize the OP is talking about an engine dyno....
But after tuning mine on a chassis dyno - I found I needed a bunch more fuel at the track due to additional load of moving actual weight, barn-door aerodynamics/wind and the turbo liking that load.

Re: Dyno vs. Dragstrip Tuning - 12/16/14 12:23 AM

I always try and use the headers that are going in the chassis and weld in the EGT bungs and O2 bung. After tuning for best timing, A/F ratio, spacers and whatnot I'll put the airflow meter on to see what the engine is actually using. Also try the aircleaner assembly they want to use, fan and alt. I've opened a few eyes by showing how bad or good some of their stuff is.
My 605 LOST 117hp bolting up my 3-1/2" dual exhaust with X-pipe and 3-1/2 Ultra-Flows over open headers and collectors. A friends resto 440 mag lost 22hp using a factory dual snorkel aircleaner assembly over an open style element.Dave
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Dyno vs. Dragstrip Tuning - 12/16/14 12:34 AM

Quote:

I always try and use the headers that are going in the chassis and weld in the EGT bungs and O2 bung. After tuning for best timing, A/F ratio, spacers and whatnot I'll put the airflow meter on to see what the engine is actually using. Also try the aircleaner assembly they want to use, fan and alt. I've opened a few eyes by showing how bad or good some of their stuff is.
My 605 LOST 117hp bolting up my 3-1/2" dual exhaust with X-pipe and 3-1/2 Ultra-Flows over open headers and collectors. A friends resto 440 mag lost 22hp using a factory dual snorkel aircleaner assembly over an open style element.Dave

There is nothing out there for exhaust on a engine
of that size unless you start looking at diesel exhaust
(a pair of them).. even with dyno testing I have
always had to tweak it in on the track for each day
if the weather is way different... the dyno tweaks
it in for that day
Posted By: dvw

Re: Dyno vs. Dragstrip Tuning - 12/16/14 12:40 AM

Put it in the car and then get out my stick, stone, an ax. Then I go at it.
Doug

Re: Dyno vs. Dragstrip Tuning - 12/16/14 01:15 AM

Here`s the youtube video of my engine being tested

http://youtu.be/9rG0doYzstE

changes at least to the timing were made for optimum power etc ........................
Same carb, ignition ,Headers were smaller (mine are 2 1/4 x 4" Hookers.

Re: Dyno vs. Dragstrip Tuning - 12/16/14 01:30 AM

Here`s the sheet with all the numbers including the temp/hum

Posted By: Adobedude

Re: Dyno vs. Dragstrip Tuning - 12/16/14 02:22 AM

I've had my Dakota on a chassis Dyno 4 times just to make sure the tune was safe and that my AF gauge was in the ball park and it wasn't going to puke oil and/or parts all over the track.

Last time I got to "drive" it on the Dyno....Who cares what the results were, that's worth the price of admission right there.

Re: Dyno vs. Dragstrip Tuning - 12/16/14 04:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

There is nothing out there for exhaust on a engine
of that size unless you start looking at diesel exhaust
(a pair of them).. even with dyno testing I have
always had to tweak it in on the track for each day
if the weather is way different... the dyno tweaks
it in for that day

Fair enough Mike, my dyno does have a weather station that corrects the numbers to the standard, that's about all a person can do. What most people fail to recognize is it's a tuning tool. For instance, first pull makes 400hp, after tweaking the timing, carb, intake, fuel, whatever... you might finish at 450-500hp. Doing the same testing at the strip might take a whole season or a full day or two of private testing. I made 18 dyno pulls just dialing in the thermoquads on my tunnelram. Most people can't do it but in my case I made the sacrifices and spent the money so I could.Dave
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Dyno vs. Dragstrip Tuning - 12/16/14 05:52 PM

A dyno if set up right will get you close enough to where you only have to make minor adjustments at the track and get the tune perfect.Also after your engines comes off the Dyno you have enough information to send with your Torque Converter to get it set up right the 1st time.Some people say dynoing an engine is $$$ wasted,but not if you use all the information you get from it setting up your car.

PS after you dyno your engine it should only take one T&T to get everything right.Most times you can get it right doing your time trial runs and be ready to race.

Re: Dyno vs. Dragstrip Tuning - 12/17/14 12:55 AM

What I wanted to hear !
Thx All !
Oh Yeah AND Merry Christmas !
© 2024 Moparts Forums