Moparts

HP Hemi block??

Posted By: John Burdine

HP Hemi block?? - 11/30/14 11:07 PM

http://www.hpperformancellc.com/store/blocks

has anyone used on of these HP blocks yet? pros/cons.
are they good quality castings?
Posted By: unknown

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/01/14 12:57 AM

Quote:

http://www.hpperformancellc.com/store/blocks

has anyone used on of these HP blocks yet? pros/cons.
are they good quality castings?

Was wondering the same thing
Posted By: astjp2

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/01/14 01:13 AM

I wonder who's stuff they are selling?
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/01/14 01:34 AM

Believe they had a block on display at MaTS... pretty sure Al had a brochure from them.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/01/14 01:41 AM

Quote:

It's their own stuff
Posted By: SCATPACK 1

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/01/14 03:51 AM

Quote:

They make their own products, blocks, heads, intakes, rocker arm set up, also offers a cast aluminum oil pan and air cleaner.
Blocks have some really nice features about them. They are 100% made in USA, Blocks are poured in CA.
Good part for the money. Cylinders are dry and block is diamond honed before the sleeves are installed for a perfect fit on every cylinder.

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/01/14 04:26 AM

That is good to know, so why did it take Ma Mopar 2 decades to start casting new blocks if small to medium companies are able to get them out there....I may have to look at building another Hemi if Blocks are available..Tim
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/01/14 06:29 AM

I was told FHO is doing some R&D on the blocks for HP. I am patiently waiting for one.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/01/14 07:38 AM

I have one of those motors, I would say run as fast as you can from them.
Posted By: Cuda367

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/01/14 08:34 AM

71Bird please explain?????
Posted By: LAD 524

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/01/14 11:09 AM

Quote:

71Bird please explain?????

Yeah do tell ?
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/01/14 05:29 PM

Quote:

I have one of those motors, I would say run as fast as you can from them.

Yes please , whenever this block is talked about you always give a word of caution and nothing else ....

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/02/14 12:07 AM

Well, for one thing, it took two years to get the engine, after the order was made. I asked twice for some paper work, as to what was what with the motor, like all of the parts installed, cam specks, torque specks, cause it's all aluminum ect. It was advertised as a 530 inch, then as a 528, so I don't know what it is. I had to install offset dowels for the bell housing, and almost ruined the block when I had to drill them out. I suspect they were Ford dowels. The hole for the oil pressure sending unit is to big, and I had to install a bushing. There is a lot more. but I don't feel like typing it all out. Now, the block its self is made of good stuff, and COULD be a real winner if it was done right. Any question just contact me, and I can go over it on the phone.
Posted By: gsmopar

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/02/14 05:22 PM

Quote:

Well, for one thing, it took two years to get the engine, after the order was made. I asked twice for some paper work, as to what was what with the motor, like all of the parts installed, cam specks, torque specks, cause it's all aluminum ect. It was advertised as a 530 inch, then as a 528, so I don't know what it is. I had to install offset dowels for the bell housing, and almost ruined the block when I had to drill them out. I suspect they were Ford dowels. The hole for the oil pressure sending unit is to big, and I had to install a bushing. There is a lot more. but I don't feel like typing it all out. Now, the block its self is made of good stuff, and COULD be a real winner if it was done right. Any question just contact me, and I can go over it on the phone.

I guess I got lucky. I called them for a quote and after the initial contact, they wouldn't return my calls. I've decided to build one myself and will likely go with Muscle Motors for a bottom end.

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/02/14 06:51 PM

There was a few good reasons, and lot of not so good reasons for the two year delay, but……
Posted By: Twostick

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/02/14 07:18 PM

Quote:

There was a few good reasons, and lot of not so good reasons for the two year delay, but……

So just to be clear, is it FHO you have the issue with or HP?

When I spoke to the HP guys at Carlisle they told me they had inventory for immediate shipment.

Kevin

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/02/14 07:29 PM

HP is the issue. I have dealt with FHO, and he is very nice, and does what he say. The whole idea of the HP block is a good one, it's the other stuff that's not good.
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/02/14 08:08 PM

Quote:

HP is the issue. I have dealt with FHO, and he is very nice, and does what he say. The whole idea of the HP block is a good one, it's the other stuff that's not good.

I know Al bought one of their blocks, but don't know if he has picked it up yet. Has anyone else had any experience with them? I'm curious as I may be buying a hemi block in the near future.

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/02/14 09:14 PM

I thought DEFbob has a block , or 2 , of HP ?

71bird , I see now that the issue is with HP building your engine and not the block itself ?

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/03/14 02:12 AM

It's kind of one in the same. If one thing is not right, then the rest of the engine is not right.

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/03/14 03:01 AM

Quote:

It's kind of one in the same. If one thing is not right, then the rest of the engine is not right.

This statement is confusing, do you mean that there was problems with the block that affected your build or not? I am looking at their stuff myself and would like to know if it is going to be like my world block to build myself...Tim

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/03/14 03:10 AM

Well, like I said, to get the dowel pins out, I almost ruined the block. And other things, as well. I said if anybody wants to know more, send me a pm, and we can talk on the phone.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/03/14 03:51 AM

I would post some or all the issues with ur block. It's no bashing, just let the buyer beware. I posted the problems I had with the Ritter block I got rid of. If there are major issues, they should be taken care of. If feelings are hurt, man up & make the proper corrections so ur parts are perfect.

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/03/14 04:00 AM

Quote:

I don't see it as being the same , it sounds like you made a poor choice of an engine builder.

I did the same thing, bought an MP crate Hemi , it was a total disaster , the parts themselves were good , the assembly and machining by Cummins was absolutely atrocious. but I knew going in that it was going to be gone thru , I just didn't realize how low bidder quality it really was.

I don't think HP ever claimed the block was an EXACT copy ?? I saw the blocks in the flesh at PRI a couple years ago , they looked like a good product , They also talked about the issues they had with one of the people involved in the project screwing things up big time and that probably had much to do with your 2 year wait , sucks but you could have asked for a refund and went elsewhere ???
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/03/14 04:43 AM

Tim Banning told me that he is doing R&D on the blocks for HP and at the time I was talking to him ( two weeks ago ) he said that he was waiting for some more blocks from HP and that if all went well that there would be blocks available within a couple 2-3 months. Tim also stated that despite HP's web site stating they have hemi blocks available this not the case.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/03/14 05:12 AM

If you had block issues, post them up. Don't see what the big secret is. All I see so far is that the oil pressure port was not stock size, you didn't like that and somebody apparently put the wrong dowels in it. Personally I fail to see where these are block quality issues.

Monte
Posted By: fastmark

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/03/14 05:34 AM

Tim Banning told me that he likes the block and has had to do some machining changes for the blocks he gets from them. He is the man to get a block from. He knows is stuff.

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/03/14 06:01 AM

John, THEY WERE the builder. Why is it on here if someone tells of a problem, they are branded an a**hole. I told of some of the problems, and said I would be glad to discuss it on the phone. He took my money, and promised an engine, I saw first hand the teething problems, and it is more than just the oil hole. The push rods are to short, it has the wrong fuel pump push rod, it drinks a qt of oil in a 150 miles, or less, the engine developer said that this block should never have left the shop. I asked for one brand of heads, and carbs, and got something completely different They cost me a $1000 extra on the K frame, which is another story. I am now in the process of pulling the motor to fix the oil problem. And it only has around 2000 miles on it. Go somewhere else everybody says. When you're invested in something like this, you just can't start all over. I say, that everybody that thinks I'm a whiner, should go ahead, and buy two blocks.

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/03/14 07:18 AM

All people are asking you to do is say what was wrong with the BLOCK, not the motor. You are running down the block, but as of yet have posted no reason as to why. Why so evasive to such a simple question? And then you say call.........really? There may be several people here interested in buying one of these blocks and would like to know if there may be some issues. So you want all those people to call you, instead of just typing out a simple reply.......okie dokie then

Monte

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/03/14 04:49 PM

Quote:

All people are asking you to do is say what was wrong with the BLOCK, not the motor. You are running down the block, but as of yet have posted no reason as to why. Why so evasive to such a simple question? And then you say call.........really? There may be several people here interested in buying one of these blocks and would like to know if there may be some issues. So you want all those people to call you, instead of just typing out a simple reply.......okie dokie then

Monte

While he has you on the phone he wants to pitch you an MLM Amway opportunity...

Kevin

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/03/14 04:53 PM

Evidently some of you all need to take an Evelin Woodhead sped redin course, so your compression will be improved. I SAID that I didn't want to write out a great big long drawn out on thing here, so I said call me. I'll tell all, and some of the tech terms, I wouldn't be able to make understandable in print. It's just to much to write down. If that's not good enough , then I don't care.
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/03/14 05:42 PM

So the only thing you are willing to discuss publicly that actually pertains to the quality of the block is the size of the oil pressure port? I would have been embarrassed to even mention such a trivial issue. In fact I might actually prefer it to be larger than stock.

If you really feel the block is junk then at least give us the short version of the block issues not builder issues. Sounds like if anyone is interested in buying one of these blocks they need to talk to Banning first. Maybe he will explain what if any issues the block has and when they will be available.

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/03/14 06:07 PM

Quote:

Evidently some of you all need to take an Evelin Woodhead sped redin course, so your compression will be improved. I SAID that I didn't want to write out a great big long drawn out on thing here, so I said call me. I'll tell all, and some of the tech terms, I wouldn't be able to make understandable in print. It's just to much to write down. If that's not good enough , then I don't care.

My comprehension is just fine, is yours? The OP asked for any concerns about the BLOCK. You jump in and say "run" and then when questioned as to why, you evade the question and say nothing except call me and it is too much trouble to type out, yet you keep typing out posts with NO information. Last I checked this was a TECH forum where people shared information. So if you were not going to ANSWER the question, why say anything

Monte

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/03/14 06:07 PM

Your pretty dense. The builder is the same guy that did the redesign and cnc programing. If he can't get something as silly as the oil port right, then what else can't he get right. He is a Ford man. And when the owner of these blocks tells me that I don't need a windage tray because of the superior ring packs that they use, then THEY JUST DON"T GET IT. If Banning can straighten things out, and guarantee the results, then that is a good thing.
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/03/14 06:25 PM

All that is being asked is for you to type what problems you did run into with these blocks. Even Chrysler screwed up the first Hemi blocks and had to do an emergency R&R on them before the 1964 Daytona. In 1964 Chrysler did two more recasts on the Hemi Heads alone in less than 4 months. If you consider there is a major problem or even minor problems with these blocks please tell use the problems you have had. No one wants to lay down their money for junk and then have to rework tons of stuff. I put out some feelers on the block and hopefully with get some input back to post on this thread. Might take a drive down and see Banning this week if he is around.

At times it has been next to impossible to obtain a new Hemi block so a lot of people are very interested in your opinion and experience with these blocks.

So maybe the members should rate the hemi blocks over the years that have been available and there uses and their materials they are made from. A kind of tech thread on Hemi Blocks that can be added to when new products hit the market.

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/03/14 06:29 PM

Quote:

Your pretty dense. The builder is the same guy that did the redesign and cnc programing. If he can't get something as silly as the oil port right, then what else can't he get right. He is a Ford man. And when the owner of these blocks tells me that I don't need a windage tray because of the superior ring packs that they use, then THEY JUST DON"T GET IT. If Banning can straighten things out, and guarantee the results, then that is a good thing.

......LOL, man, you are tore up about an oil port......LOL.....News flash, Indy and most other aftermarket blocks do NOT have an 1/8th pipe oil port, it's BIGGER. You better not buy one of those blocks either

Monte

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/03/14 06:40 PM

Quote:

Your pretty dense. The builder is the same guy that did the redesign and cnc programing. If he can't get something as silly as the oil port right

I bet if you ask him he has a good reason to make the port larger. Just like the other aftermarket blocks. This is not a stock replacement block. Not even close.

Quote:

then what else can't he get right.

So you are saying that because the oil pressure port is not stock size that there must be a whole bunch of things wrong that render the block unusable? You seem to be obsessed with the fact that you had to go to the nearest auto parts store and buy a fitting. Is Autozone 200 miles away? Did they charge you $500 for the thing?

Quote:

He is a Ford man. And when the owner of these blocks tells me that I don't need a windage tray because of the superior ring packs that they use, then THEY JUST DON"T GET IT.

Then how come the aluminum pans that he sells come with a built in tray?

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/03/14 07:04 PM

Quote:

Dan Costello was a proponent of not running a windage tray either on a street engine , especially a stock Mopar windage tray because it SLOWS the return of oil to the pan by it's pisspoor design.

The only issues I see with the BLOCK, other than a an oil port that was not the same size as the factory on the side for you idiot light/gauge adapter , is there use of possibly the wrong dowels pins ? If you don't have a dowel pin puller the dowels don't just fall out .

It appears that your major gripe is with the BUILDER and his knowledge , or lack of , around a Chrysler enngine . Just because he is a FORD guy , as you say , it doesn't mean he doesn't know how to build an engine ....

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/03/14 07:18 PM

Quote:

The only issues I see with the BLOCK, other than a an oil port that was not the same size as the factory on the side for you idiot light/gauge adapter , is there use of possibly the wrong dowels pins ? If you don't have a dowel pin puller the dowels don't just fall out .

John, I think he put the wrong dowels in, not the builder and certainly no fault of the block.
Quote:

I had to install offset dowels for the bell housing, and almost ruined the block when I had to drill them out. I suspect they were Ford dowels.

Posted By: B G Racing

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/03/14 07:44 PM

Lets back up and take a breather for a moment.
We were trying to work with Dave Everhart,HP Performance and early on there was some design issues and they made some changes to improve and strengthen the block.There are a couple of versions one suited for street and stip and another version for all out race engines.The Race block was to be of raised cam design and have 1/2" head bolts and 1/2" cross main bolts as well a 9/16" main cap bolts.
Due to casting availability at the foundary both blocks were held back from production.Some of the casting recieved and sent for machining were dilivered to HP with machining errors which caused another setback.Finally after much time,effort and aggravation HP got a number of blocks that were sale ready.The waiting list exceeded the finished blocks produced and the first batches were of the street/strip varity.We haven't talked to Dave recently to find if finished blocks are available,but from our conversations and what we seen at the diffrent shows they certainly seem to be a quality product.Like any new products we are certain there maybe a few issues that need attention but that's why we take the products to machinist and engine builders if we can't correct them ourselves.We don't care who product it is it must be checked and if need be corrected.If everything was perfect and we lived in a perfect world the engine would assemble it's self.A lot of issue we here about are so minor and easily corrected it ain't worth gripping about.We understand also that if there are major issues like some had incountered with the small block, blocks we would hope that they would be detailed and shared with others before a lot of time and money was wasted.

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/03/14 07:48 PM

Sounds as though this guy was expecting a STOCK replacement block and it wasn't. And guess what, it wasn't supposed to be. An aftermarket aluminum block, should be BETTER than a stock block by a bunch, or what is the point in having it. If I want stock, I will buy stock, but if I am buying an alum aftermarket block, I want the improvements that we all know they need.

Now while I have not actually assembled one of the HP HEMI blocks, I have looked at them very closely and to me they look like a really nice piece and I would not hesitate to buy one

Monte

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/03/14 11:19 PM

Quote:

Sounds as though this guy was expecting a STOCK replacement block and it wasn't. And guess what, it wasn't supposed to be. An aftermarket aluminum block, should be BETTER than a stock block by a bunch, or what is the point in having it. If I want stock, I will buy stock, but if I am buying an alum aftermarket block, I want the improvements that we all know they need.

Now while I have not actually assembled one of the HP HEMI blocks, I have looked at them very closely and to me they look like a really nice piece and I would not hesitate to buy one

Monte

Monte HP makes both Iron and Alum. blocks .

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/03/14 11:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

John, I think he put the wrong dowels in, not the builder and certainly no fault of the block.
Quote:

I had to install offset dowels for the bell housing, and almost ruined the block when I had to drill them out. I suspect they were Ford dowels.

I wasn't sure if it was the builder or him , but anyone that has ever tried to use the typical lakewood offset dowel learns ppretty quickly that they are FORD dowels considering they are LABELED as FORD/Mopar dowels , you can't turn them once they are in the block.

For the record Mopar Dowels are .496 , Ford .500 ... just an FYI , the 1/2 steel dowel stock at Home Depot is about .496 , if you need offset dowels the RobbMc adjuastable dowel is the only way to fly .

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/04/14 02:39 AM

ASSuming the dowels were in the correct position, would it not be more expedient to just open up the bellhousing hole .004?

Me? I would be more concerned about whether the cam tunnel, main bores, cylinder bores and decks were where they were supposed to be in relation to each other. Oil pressure ports and dowels really aren't that high on the priority list as long as they are where they are supposed to be.

Kevin

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/04/14 02:57 AM

I didn't put the dowels in they did, I had to pull them out to install the adjustable dowels. I'm not all torqued up about no sticking oil hole either. Well, yes I am. I am getting tired of everybody asking the same questions over, and over, and over, when all they had to do is read my responses, and be able to understand english.
I went back and reread what I said, I said the block could be a good thing if it was done right. The hole for the dist bushing was all machined wrong, and to the point that they had to make a spacer to put in the hole, and when I removed the dist the spacer popped back in the valley. I didn't know that that spacer was in there. And this stuff just keeps going on, and on. What I am harping on is that there is more to this than I can put here. If all of the short comings have been addressed, AND there are 50 blocks sitting on a shelf ready to go, then it might be all right. Answer that question.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/04/14 04:40 AM

There's an e in money Robert.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: HP Hemi block?? - 12/04/14 01:44 PM

Quote:

There's an e in money Robert.

Fixed it
© 2024 Moparts Forums