Moparts

roller cam distributor gear selection

Posted By: 929lamasters

roller cam distributor gear selection - 11/21/14 07:43 AM

I have a comp cams hydraulic roller retrofit cam I was wondering if anyone has use the crane still distributor gear they claim can be used on a billet steel cam instead of a bronze gear that comp recommends my car is a street/strip car thank you for your help
Posted By: smos001

Re: roller cam distributor gear selection - 11/27/14 10:06 PM

I have a custom ground steel billet hyd roller cam from Comp Cams. it is a serial # with a -9 on it; Steel Billet core.
I use the bronze dizzy. My engine builder says there is plenty of oil running in that area that the bronze gear will be fine. He expects that it will last a long time before I have to change it. I will check it though often. He also believes with a stock mechanical pump I do not need the bronze tip fuel pump pushrod. I am going electric anyway. Just to avoid the whole issue.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: roller cam distributor gear selection - 11/27/14 11:03 PM

Check with Comp first. The last SB I built used a Comp hyd roller cam and it worked just fine with a Mopar distributor drive. Some of the cams are billet but some of them are not.
Posted By: Teamx

Re: roller cam distributor gear selection - 12/03/14 10:51 AM

You need to specify if its a SB or BB, all Comp roller BB cams are steel cores. I have run the Crane "treated" gear on a BB roller with no issues or sign of wear after 2000 miles. The original bronze gear lasted around 1500. This is with a std volume oil pump.
© 2024 Moparts Forums