Moparts

Bolt on Fiberglass trunk lids?

Posted By: mshred

Bolt on Fiberglass trunk lids? - 11/12/14 01:48 AM

Anybody ever use a fibreglass trunk lid before but left it as a bolt on? Was it worth the change, or is a lot of the weight savings in the hinges?

Unlimited sells a fiberglass trunk lid for my car that should be about 25-30lbs lighter, but not sure if it is worth it if the hinges are where a lot of the weight is, as well as how strong/flimsy it might be with the opening and closing of the trunk a street car sees...I would imagine its no different then a glass hood, but then I could be wrong
Posted By: chryco

Re: Bolt on Fiberglass trunk lids? - 11/12/14 05:08 AM

Glass is the only way to go. Don`t look back just do it. MUCH LIGHTER .This one`s an Unlimited one.
Much easier to access everything .
chryco

Re: Bolt on Fiberglass trunk lids? - 11/12/14 05:48 AM

Quote:

Glass is the only way to go. Don`t look back just do it. MUCH LIGHTER .This one`s an Unlimited one.
Much easier to access everything .
chryco

Im looking for a bolt on, as in bolts to the stock trunk hinges, not a pin on where the entire trunk lid is removed...Just not practical for a street car like I have in my opinion, especially on a windy day with no where to put it lol
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Bolt on Fiberglass trunk lids? - 11/12/14 05:53 AM

Does stinger/AAR make one?
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Bolt on Fiberglass trunk lids? - 11/12/14 05:57 AM

Not worth it IMO, if you have a Abody. Its good High weight ballast.

My Abodys like 2950, Not going to do the trunk lid, myself.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Bolt on Fiberglass trunk lids? - 11/12/14 05:58 AM

Not worth the trouble for the maybe one thousandth of a second difference it would make..... Especially on a street car.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Bolt on Fiberglass trunk lids? - 11/12/14 06:05 AM

Quote:

Not worth it IMO, if you have a Abody. Its good High weight ballast.

My Abodys like 2950, Not going to do the trunk lid, myself.

I agree, a glass trunk lid would be the last place to LOSE weight on a strip car.
Posted By: mikeysmopars

Re: Bolt on Fiberglass trunk lids? - 11/12/14 06:22 AM

I put a glass one on mine and made it fit the stock hinges and added the stock latch assy Takes an extra 30 pounds out & still looks right.

Attached picture 8328715-IMG_1276.JPG

Re: Bolt on Fiberglass trunk lids? - 11/12/14 10:53 PM

Quote:

I put a glass one on mine and made it fit the stock hinges and added the stock latch assy Takes an extra 30 pounds out & still looks right.

So it was 30lbs weight savings even using stock hinges and latch? That is HUGE

For those saying not to take weight out from there...I run a nitrous bottle, which adds 25lbs, so this can make up for that. My car is a FAT PIG at close to 3500lbs with me in it, so to be honest, I am not too concerned about removing 30lbs off the rear end.

For me what will make it worth it or not is how much weight it will save...everything adds up, and hopefully this with my glass bumpers front and back and possibly light weight brakes this winter will shed a decent amount of weight of the car...if not for increased e/t's, then for less stress on the drivetrain parts. I look at lost weight as a win/win

Re: Bolt on Fiberglass trunk lids? - 11/12/14 10:54 PM

Quote:

Does stinger/AAR make one?

Not sure if they do, I was looking on the Unlimited website for a new hood since I sold my AAR cowl the other day and noticed the rear glass decklids that are bolt on.
Posted By: Airwoofer

Re: Bolt on Fiberglass trunk lids? - 11/12/14 11:15 PM

I have a glass lid on my Demon and want to replace it with a stock metal one. Just doesn't look that good to me.

Re: Bolt on Fiberglass trunk lids? - 11/12/14 11:18 PM

Quote:

I have a glass lid on my Demon and want to replace it with a stock metal one. Just doesn't look that good to me.

What about it looks bad???
Posted By: bdaz smblk

Re: Bolt on Fiberglass trunk lids? - 11/12/14 11:40 PM

aar makes a glass bolt on trunk lid.I don't know how much of a savings it is but I have one and it is very nice
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Bolt on Fiberglass trunk lids? - 11/12/14 11:55 PM

If you can't find a bolt on for your car, you can do what I did and fab up the parts on a pin on type hood to bolt to the factory hinges, and make a latch assembly out of aluminum plate, a return spring and a wood block glued to the lid. Mine saved 35 lbs. I needed to get weight off the back of the car. After the glass trunk lid, I moved the battery to in front of the radiator, and went with lexan in the rear glass. How much weight you need back there is very car specific. I needed a LOT less to make the car work.

Attached picture 8329283-Dartpics+others034-1.jpg
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Bolt on Fiberglass trunk lids? - 11/13/14 12:01 AM

latch

Attached picture 8329285-Dartpics+others037-1.jpg
Posted By: Airwoofer

Re: Bolt on Fiberglass trunk lids? - 11/13/14 12:24 AM

Quote:

Quote:

What about it looks bad???

Mostly the paint is faded and cracking. Plus the thing is a little thicker than steel. It is for a 72 Demon / Duster and has the Go wing holes. When I get the steel one painted and installed this will be for sale. It bolts on like a normal trunk lid and uses the stock latch.
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Bolt on Fiberglass trunk lids? - 11/13/14 12:38 AM

I have an AAR bolt on trunk lid on my Dart, its a very nice piece. I even have the trunk lock in it. You can`t even tell its fiberglass unless you look real close.
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: Bolt on Fiberglass trunk lids? - 11/13/14 04:27 AM

Quote:

I have an AAR bolt on trunk lid on my Dart, its a very nice piece. I even have the trunk lock in it. You can`t even tell its fiberglass unless you look real close.

me to!

Re: Bolt on Fiberglass trunk lids? - 11/13/14 04:30 AM

Quote:

If you can't find a bolt on for your car, you can do what I did and fab up the parts on a pin on type hood to bolt to the factory hinges, and make a latch assembly out of aluminum plate, a return spring and a wood block glued to the lid. Mine saved 35 lbs. I needed to get weight off the back of the car. After the glass trunk lid, I moved the battery to in front of the radiator, and went with lexan in the rear glass. How much weight you need back there is very car specific. I needed a LOT less to make the car work.

Thats pretty neat! Luckily though they made bolt on lids for my car, and they weigh exactly the same as the pin on, just cost a bit more lol
Posted By: hustlin hoosier

Re: Bolt on Fiberglass trunk lids? - 11/13/14 04:56 AM

AAR makes one , we just installed one in our new 68 barracuda .. It uses factory latches and hinges. The fit was excellent.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Bolt on Fiberglass trunk lids? - 11/13/14 05:45 AM

What kinda weight difference are people seeing with the bolt on one?
Posted By: cudasteve68

Re: Bolt on Fiberglass trunk lids? - 11/13/14 06:24 PM

Quote:

aar makes a glass bolt on trunk lid.I don't know how much of a savings it is but I have one and it is very nice

I have an AAR as well. Can hardly tell the difference from steel.
Only issue was the lock did not fit. I had to grind the lock wider for the clip to slide in keep it in place. (fiberglass was thicker than steel) I removed the springs to keep from cracking it. I am not sure of the what I saved in weight, but I saved a ton in money, plus my steel trunk lid does not weight 30lbs. (I am guessing)

Re: Bolt on Fiberglass trunk lids? - 11/14/14 02:04 AM

Quote:

What kinda weight difference are people seeing with the bolt on one?

A stock 70 dart trunk lid is supposed to weigh 45lbs, and the glass one I am looking at from Unlimited is 15lbs, so a solid 30lbs if those numbers don't include hinges. I think thats pretty good
© 2024 Moparts Forums