Moparts

Anybody running a Griffin Radiator?

Posted By: 68cuda2003

Anybody running a Griffin Radiator? - 11/07/14 06:28 AM

I got a '68 barracuda with an overheating problem. I was told Griffin Radiators was the way to go. Any input would be appreciated.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Anybody running a Griffin Radiator? - 11/07/14 03:03 PM

I have one in my cuda. Made a huge difference in how hot my car got on the street. Mine is a 3.25" core w/ 2 rows of 1.25" tubes. Biggest one I could fit w/o cutting up the core support. It is a direct bolt in too. It wasn't cheap though.
Posted By: 340B5

Re: Anybody running a Griffin Radiator? - 11/07/14 03:42 PM

Mine is a Griffin. I could have squeezed on a couple inches wider in and wish I would have. When it gets to the upper 80's and warmer, I still run hotter than I would like(not overheat) when moving up slowly in staging lanes. I've had my radiator for years and it's held up well.

A shroud and water wetter will make a difference too.
Posted By: JAKE68

Re: Anybody running a Griffin Radiator? - 11/07/14 04:34 PM

I would look into another brand. Not that griffin makes a bad radiator but if you need to do a repair in the future you cant because the cores are apoxied together and can not be welded on.
Posted By: Airwoofer

Re: Anybody running a Griffin Radiator? - 11/07/14 04:55 PM

What ahbout the 2375 Champion? I am close to needing a rad for my Demon. My biggest question is 2 or 3 row and will the blower belt clear (as well as the elec water pump)?

They are discussing this at FABO now:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=295417

Posted By: moparjoe360.4

Re: Anybody running a Griffin Radiator? - 11/07/14 05:08 PM

I put a champion 26' 3 row in my truck before this season an it made a world of difference. It was 1/2 the price of a Griffin or Wizard cooling 2 row, but they are made over seas. I'm very happy with the fit and quality thought.
Posted By: codfish

Re: Anybody running a Griffin Radiator? - 11/07/14 05:09 PM

Quote:

I would look into another brand. Not that griffin makes a bad radiator but if you need to do a repair in the future you cant because the cores are apoxied together and can not be welded on.

What he said.

I had one that started to leak where the tubes meet the tanks. The manufacturer, Griffin, basically told me that I was SOL.
I replaced it with a Northern brand which has no epoxy, and has held up fine for the past 5 years. And bigger is better.

codfish
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Anybody running a Griffin Radiator? - 11/07/14 06:02 PM

Griffin its the best and I do not mind paying a few more $$$ to have the best possible radiator in my Race-Car!
Posted By: 340B5

Re: Anybody running a Griffin Radiator? - 11/07/14 07:55 PM

If you want a Griffin, check into the universal, you just have to match the hose sizes and outlet location. Mine was around $150, but that was 20 years ago.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Anybody running a Griffin Radiator? - 11/07/14 11:49 PM

Mine started to leak. It was epoxied, junk. Don't know how they make them now? I bought a wizard exact fit rad with 4 puller fans. Temp never goes over 190. When fans kick on, temp drops to 170.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Anybody running a Griffin Radiator? - 11/07/14 11:55 PM

I use a Griffin dual 1.5" tube Nascar draft radiator. It is the first radiator that kept my BB cool in an extreme environment.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Anybody running a Griffin Radiator? - 11/07/14 11:57 PM

I have used universal from Summit, Northern, and Griffin. All are flawless without issue, over 10 years each. The Griffin was a bolt in. The others I made the mounts. On those that leaked. How were they mounted?
Doug
Posted By: JAKE68

Re: Anybody running a Griffin Radiator? - 11/08/14 01:15 AM

DVW I have one on my run stand that the lower Hose fitting is rotting so it cannot be fixed. Had a customer bring me a car we were putting new motor griffin exact fit rad and convert to power strg. (Chevy) well the lower corner of the tank needed to be notched and no good apoxy! So a new rad needed to be bought from another company. So that customer ate a 450 rad. Like I sad they work but you better hope you never need a repair in the future.
Posted By: Wv68charger

Re: Anybody running a Griffin Radiator? - 11/08/14 01:44 AM

Ron Davis has some quality stuff
Posted By: D-50

Re: Anybody running a Griffin Radiator? - 11/08/14 02:13 AM

I run a Summit brand radiator. This year in 90+ degree weather when I drove my D50 to the track, 40 miles round trip. I did not even have to turn my fan on.It got to about 185*. I was not in red light traffic. I was driving back roads running 45-55 mph.
Posted By: RMCHRGR

Re: Anybody running a Griffin Radiator? - 11/08/14 04:43 AM

I have a Griffin 'direct fit' in my Duster. It's a nice radiator, keeps my car cool and shaved a bunch of weight. However, it wasn't a direct fit. The tanks/core are fine but not the mounting parts. Not sure what specs they had but its not really close.

The way they made the brackets put it closer to to the engine than the OE 26" I replaced so I had to get the short Jag fan clutch.

Also, the way the brackets are made does not allow an OE shroud to fit without modifying it.

This also required a smaller fan blade because none of the ones I had would fit without hitting the shroud because of where it was now mounted (as opposed to the OE position). Probably operator error but while figuring all this out, I mangled the fins pretty good. No leaks as of yet though.

If I were to do it again, I probably would just get a generic rad and figure out how to make it work.
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Anybody running a Griffin Radiator? - 11/08/14 06:30 PM

Quote:

DVW I have one on my run stand that the lower Hose fitting is rotting so it cannot be fixed. Had a customer bring me a car we were putting new motor griffin exact fit rad and convert to power strg. (Chevy) well the lower corner of the tank needed to be notched and no good apoxy! So a new rad needed to be bought from another company. So that customer ate a 450 rad. Like I sad they work but you better hope you never need a repair in the future.

That's odd all of my Griffin radiators have been made out of aluminum,which is very easy to Tig Weld.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Anybody running a Griffin Radiator? - 11/08/14 11:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That's odd all of my Griffin radiators have been made out of aluminum,which is very easy to Tig Weld.

Up until you need to weld on one then it will be contaminated. The epoxy will contaminate the weld. Therefore they are not repairable
Posted By: 68cuda2003

Re: Anybody running a Griffin Radiator? - 11/09/14 06:45 AM

Thanks for the input. I currently have a Champion 4 row (they said was good to 800hp) but it just doesn't cool. I purchased the radiator, shroud and 2 electric fans as a package deal and it has never kept my car cool. In desperation, I began trying different combinations. I took the shroud off and at least now it cools while I'm motivating but at lights the temp begins to climb. I live in south Texas and need efficiency.
© 2024 Moparts Forums