Moparts

Dodge R5 to Reid bells

Posted By: Leon441

Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 10/24/14 04:12 AM

Been working on this for a while. Had hoped Reid would do them. I altered a sb Reid bell. Way to much work and they are bulky and heavy. Worked great for a pattern and way to show off the idea. In a few short weeks a bellhousing will be available to bolt R5 NASCAR blocks to Reid superglide and T400 cases. So a SFI certified transmission is now available for both drag racers and circle track guys.

Also flexplates with 130 tooth Mopar starter gear and stock starters work. Doing both 6&8 bolt 1 price seal cranks.

Once these are going changes to the flange will be available custom to bolt to many other transmissions like ATI. And availability to fit via pump bolts to torqueflites and many others by cutting the stock bell and using these SFI blowproof bells.
Posted By: duster400

Re: dodge R5 to Reid bells - 10/24/14 05:20 AM

Cool, Hope things are going good.

Anthony

Re: dodge R5 to Reid bells - 10/28/14 01:47 AM

Racing the 440 EEI block R5. Loving it. Just not sure about the steel rods with a big shot outta the gate.

But, like it enough to have bells made for it.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: dodge R5 to Reid bells - 10/28/14 02:29 AM

Great job Leon
It's really cool what your doing.
Posted By: DemonDust

Re: dodge R5 to Reid bells - 10/28/14 03:18 AM

How long do you think it would be for a 904?

I like the idea of having a SFI bell on my Mopar trans.

Re: dodge R5 to Reid bells - 10/28/14 11:53 PM

904 is just a possibility along with many other trans.

To answer your question. When I believe I have a few R5-904's sold.

I am doing the R5-Reid because I have a need for one and I have enough spoken for to do them.

With a 904 you still have to run a shield. With this bell and Reid case everything is sfi 30.1.

Re: dodge R5 to Reid bells - 10/29/14 12:33 AM

Yeah, right now I'm running my midplate with a shield.

I hope it works out for you and you can expand to 727 and 904 in the future. I'd buy a 904 bell.

Re: dodge R5 to Reid bells - 10/30/14 08:48 PM

Just one?

That would stick me with 5-15 depending on what you are willing to pay for one.

Re: dodge R5 to Reid bells - 10/31/14 07:57 AM

Quote:

Just one?

How many Bellhousings does one guy need?

If you could get them in the $300-400 like the jw Bellhousing I think you'd do well. And keep it simple, like being able to use off the shelf parts. Like late 90's dodge truck mini starters.

Re: dodge R5 to Reid bells - 10/31/14 05:23 PM

My bells take "off the shelf" starters.

JW bells are thick cumbersome and heavy. These bells are safer, presision, neat, and lighter.

If I bought a hundred at the time they would still be more than $300 my cost. JW bells are just not at this level. I know been running JW bells for over 10 years. This bell offers much more clearance sense it is 3/16" thick.

Re: dodge R5 to Reid bells - 10/31/14 05:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Just one?

If you could get them in the $300-400 like the jw Bellhousing I think you'd do well. And keep it simple, like being able to use off the shelf parts. Like late 90's dodge truck mini starters.

If you sold your adapters for $150 a peice I would have only had one of these bells made for myself. Lol
Posted By: hudsonhornet7x

Re: dodge R5 to Reid bells - 10/31/14 05:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just one?

If you sold your adapters for $150 a peice I would have only had one of these bells made for myself. Lol

NICE!

Re: dodge R5 to Reid bells - 10/31/14 08:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just one?

I wish I could make them cheaper. Since I only make 20 at a time, the adapter plate alone costs more than $150 to make, due to the tolerances I want held.

So what kind of price are we looking at here? I'll pay for quality and it sounds like Reid is a much better product than JW.

Re: dodge R5 to Reid bells - 11/02/14 02:41 AM

This is not a Reid bell.

This bell fits in place of Reid bells to Reid half cases. They will be made by QuickTime. They are 3/16" steel. Tolerances are .001".

I considered doing my modified Bobsprofab adapter. Had a commercial lazer shop price the material and work. Had the sheet mapped out for maximum peices. The price was incredibly cheap to do like this. It produced an odd number. The crank adapters were more time consuming and were more expensive than expected. I respect Bob enough to not copy his work to sell.

Re: dodge R5 to Reid bells - 11/02/14 07:06 AM

I didn't copy Bobs product. I bought one from someone that was less than stellar. I couldn't even get some bolts into the counter sunk holes they were so far off. When I tried to get in touch with the fabricator my calls and emails went unanswered. So I took a block and bell to buddies shop and indicated each hole and designed the plate and all the crank adapters myself. I seen a market for these and someone making a horse sh!t product that couldn't even send all the hardware. So I designed something that people could use easily and not screw them over, I've sold 47 to date worldwide and not one customer has called me complaining. I've had several customers call me complaining about a POS adapter they bought years ago (from the same place I got mine) and wanted to buy mine so they could finish their project.

I copied no one, and my kit supplies everything you need to mate the trans with engine. And the crank to the flex plate.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: dodge R5 to Reid bells - 11/02/14 09:22 AM

nice work guys, I would like to see some pics of these?

Re: dodge R5 to Reid bells - 11/02/14 06:26 PM

I did not empli you copied anyone.

I agree some adapters are junk.

Re: dodge R5 to Reid bells - 11/02/14 11:02 PM

Sorry, my bad I took that the wrong way.

Re: dodge R5 to Reid bells - 11/10/14 11:15 PM

Prototypes should be up and going this week. Maybe Mopartony would like to share what his custom Browell bell cost him.

Hopefully have one in hand to get picks out.

Re: dodge R5 to Reid bells - 11/11/14 11:08 AM

Quote:

Prototypes should be up and going this week. Maybe Mopartony would like to share what his custom Browell bell cost him.

Hopefully have one in hand to get picks out.

His Browell bell is a RB block bell pattern.

Re: dodge R5 to Reid bells - 11/12/14 01:41 AM

I'm aware of that. He also runs an adapter. I forget why they did it that way. Something to do with the starter ring he is using not fitting in the confines of the R5 pattern.

Re: dodge R5 to Reid bells - 11/18/14 01:58 AM

All the business and drawings are checked and rechecked. The Bells and flex plates will start productions November 18, 2014. Tomorrow!!!!!!

I have had some set backs which are to be expected. A guy who sells these engines who at first wanted five bells to start backed out. That loaded a lot more financial risk on me. So instead of 15, 20, or even 30 kits we are doing a run of FIVE.

Quick Time and myself plan to have a bell and flexplate with Mopar starter bolted to a NASCAR Dodge R5 block maybe a complete R5P7 engine on display, if all goes well. Reid is a proven transmission case solution for Powerglide and T400 transmissions. This bell is lighter and cleaner than the cast bells offered for other engines to bolt to these cases. Come take a look.

Tom, if everything works out I hope to have a need to order advertising on your site. I appreciate your patience and leeway.

Leon

Re: dodge R5 to Reid bells - 12/09/14 03:58 AM

We are down to the wire on getting this done in time. Someone from Corporate had to verify my shipping address matched my credit card address. Three days after the order was made. Really put everyone involved in a tight spot.

Folks can see this bell in Race Parts Liquidators booth. He is being grateful enough to bring an R5 engine to display the bell.

I am anxious to say the least. Just hope nothing falls through the wide cracks in this planning for PRI and being ready.

Leon
Posted By: TrWaters

Re: dodge R5 to Reid bells - 12/10/14 01:28 AM

Since Quick Time already has an R5 to Muncie bellhousing, 3/4 of the r&d must have been already done.

Re: dodge R5 to Reid bells - 12/10/14 02:45 AM

I wish, but no.

They had the bolt pattern of the R5 block on file. But the starter and flywheel is different.

This bell uses the standard size 130 tooth flex plate. The starter position is in the exact place they are on a 340. Just something to not have to buy when making the. Change to R5. The depth of the bell is also important. No starter spacing or flywheel spacing issues. Bolt it to a Reid ultimate case with a standard powerglide converter, use your existing mopar starter and everything fits the first time.

This was important to be this way. I have raced mopars for well over 20 years. Every time I buy something there is a surprise. You have to alter something or buy other parts to make it work. I am doing everything imaginable to make sure this does not happen. And later want to come up with plates for use with the NASCAR motor plate. A single stage off the shelf kit to convert to wet sump oiling if some one desires. Some day headers.

Re: dodge R5 to Reid bells - 12/10/14 02:53 AM

OK here's the bad news.

Called Ross McCombs at QuickTime this evening to see how everything progressed. We were on a tight schedule.

Well they just can't make the deadline. He will be at the Accell booth if anyone wants to ask about this. I will also be out there floating around.

I'm the middle aged grey headed guy with the gut that just will not go away. Lol

Sorry if anyone is disappointed. I know I am. Maybe do something at Josh's show in the winter. I will post pics as soon as I get the bell. Should be finished next week.

Leon Hudson
Hudson Restoration
Posted By: B1KILLER

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 12/12/14 07:27 AM

Interesting, I'm going with a Proflight, on my r5 p7. Maybe, if this new set don't work.

Attached picture 8359355-IMG_20140609_190526.jpg

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 12/13/14 06:20 AM

BTE also has a two peice case. The flange is the same as Reid. My bells will also fit the BTE two peice case as well as Reid.

Just food for thought.
Posted By: SCDaytona

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 12/15/14 03:42 AM

Quote:

Interesting, I'm going with a Proflight, on my r5 p7. Maybe, if this new set don't work.

And you will be faster with the ProFlite!
Posted By: blue64plymouth

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 12/29/14 12:00 AM

Leon, did you get everything finished. I'm putting another car together with an r5 and may go your route if I could get a price and depending on how quick I could get it, thanks

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 12/29/14 03:25 AM

I do not have them in hand yet. I assume the holidays are holding things up. Last I was told was materials were being cut in laser shop. And once that process was finished the rest would go quick.

I will post as soon as they are here. I promise you that.
Posted By: prochargedhemi

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 12/30/14 03:47 AM

Leon, Glad to see someone else stepped up. Ive been working on an adapter too, i think 975.00 is crazy. i also plan on doing my own 1 piece flex plate. cheers bud

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 12/30/14 04:10 PM

Quote:

Leon, Glad to see someone else stepped up. Ive been working on an adapter too, i think 975.00 is crazy. i also plan on doing my own 1 piece flex plate. cheers bud

You guys are too funny. $975 is a buy it now price on eBay for a 8 bolt style crank, 6 bolt is cheaper. In the ad it says please contact before purchasing. If you would have contacted me you would have found out that price is inflated over $100 for eBay and PayPal fees. And also keep in mind, this is a kit not just a plate. It comes with all the hardware and SFI flex plate for 6 or 8 bolt. The only thing you have to supply to make it work is a torque convertor, whatever length studs you want to attach the trans, and a dodge mini starter.

EBay is pretty much for advertising only. It costs me like $12 a year for advertising worldwide. To date I've sold 56 adapters world wide. Not one complaint.
Posted By: prochargedhemi

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 12/30/14 08:35 PM

Hey man, its nothing personal. Everyones doing something different for the same reason you did (you didn't like what was out there).

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 12/31/14 01:31 AM

Just want to clear something up.

I am not doing an adapter. It is a complete SFI bellhousing that uses a sfi approved transmission case.

This accomplishes two things. One eliminates adapters. Two provides use of transmission cases from a manufacturer that are vertually bullit proof and use internals that are available in one day.

I love torqueflites, but hate running something in a race car that requires parts from sources that are hard to reach. Face it powerglides and turbo 400 parts can be purchased any hour of the day 24/7.

I welcome people who choose 904's. They work well with 358 R5P7. My personal situation is a 904 is too long. A glide with adapter is also too long. If this was not an issue for 8.50 and faster cars they would not make short tailshats for turbo 400 and even proflites.

This bell and flywheel covers 25.1- 25.5 cars requiring the pita forward bar when set back behind transmission. If building car again it would be below firewall with a totally different A Pilar and dash bar setup.

Leon

P.S. thread hyjackers start your own thread. You are cluttering up an informative thread for a specific bellhousing. Not adapter plates.

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 12/31/14 02:13 AM

I'm a 904 guy. I'm patiently waiting for the 904 version of your setup Leon
Posted By: blue64plymouth

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 01/09/15 03:31 AM

Any word yet Leon, I'm ready to start this project any day, just trying to figure out which direction to go, thanks

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 01/11/15 04:08 AM

I planned to check with them last week. Will try and check Monday.
Posted By: Georg

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 01/12/15 08:36 AM

Great news Leon. I used Race-Mart SFI bellhousing and 130 teeth ring gear to use 904 behind my R5 engine. It worked fine.
Actually I was totally surprised as this 904 hold up so well. I used OEM drums inside, only had manual valvebody with trans brake and TCI racing overhaul kit inside.
Our car was N/A and went all day long very low 9 second passes with bad grip because of slippery race track. It also cost us the car in finals where I totally lost control of a car just after half a track ( terrible tire shake and sliding ) and I made very bad crash...I was lucky to be Ok but the car is wrecked. Engine, tranny and rear end seems to be fine but we need to build new car. Here is a clip of that crash:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIcvbSy_5kg
And one video few passes before this crash:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vf3VpwBxPI

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 01/13/15 05:30 PM

Talked with Race mart. They did not make your bell. They had a custom flexplate/crank adapter made by JW for you. I don't have the precise details. They are going to get back with me. But, I am told it was a one off JW flywheel and bell.

Interesting. But, costly. To be truly SFI you have to certify every run of bells made. So much as relocating or drilling a hole voids the cert. This is what the manufacturers are telling me. I personally would not have an issue with redrilling a bell to fit as long as it used All of the available bell housing bolts.

George do you have pics of your transmission and bell? I'm sure there is interest in doing this. R5P7duster is one.
Posted By: Georg

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 01/14/15 07:47 AM

Hi

Right now I only have one facebook link where you see the pic of tranny : https://www.facebook.com/premiumparts/ph...e=3&theater
I may take more pics later today.
Yes the brand was JW and here is part codes if you are interested. Those are the parts for TH350 tranny what we used later.
1. JWP-92455-A J W Performance 92455-A "Ultra-Bell" TH400/350 to SB Chrysler
2. JWP-93005-130 J W Performance 93005-130 Chevrolet - 327-427 Internal Balance 130 Tooth MOPAR Ring Gear

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 01/15/15 07:46 PM

George, that bell bolts to a LA block. Not a R5. It has enough material to be drilled to fit but still attaches via the pump bolts. It also fits gm trans.

Do you have picture of the R5 JW to 904 bell you had made? By looking at your picks one would assume you are using an adapter plate.

Realizing we have a slight language barrier. I have to ask. Do you understand the topic?

My bells will attach R5 to Reid case flange. No adapters or spacers.

Leon

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 02/06/15 06:15 PM

Here is the new QuickTime R5 to Reid bell

Attached picture 8420953-ullSizeRender.jpg

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 02/18/15 11:58 PM

Finished parts will be here Friday February 20th. More pics to come.

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 02/21/15 01:55 AM

Mocking up and trial fitting bell and block plate. Camshaft cover bolts hit block plate.... Corrected

Attached picture 8435906-_20150220_211821.JPG
Posted By: OUTLAW565

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 02/21/15 01:47 PM

Leon im interested in a kit. Bell and flex plate. How much for both? And availability?

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 02/21/15 11:52 PM

Had some concerns yesterday with flexplate spacing and starter. I left QuickTime a message and was ready to bite ears off. Well, Ross is very sharp, called me this AM. He listed off part numbers and a quick solution. Parts are on the way.

Attached picture 8436722-IMG_20150221_165443.jpg

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 02/24/15 07:18 PM

Price $1,000 for kit to attach Dodge R5 to Reid and BTE two price cases.

QuickTime bells go for $750 for shelf stock cases. This is custom no extra charge from me.

Flexplates for gm conversions sell for $350 and up.

Do the math whole kit $1,000. Loosing my rear but, keeping my word affordable.

Attached picture 8439517-_20150224_121622.JPG
Posted By: R5P7 Bantam

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 02/25/15 03:38 AM

Leon,

I congratulate you on sticking it out through thick and thin. Your net result is something to truly be proud of. Nice job.

How much does the bell weigh?

Regards,
Mike

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 02/25/15 04:00 AM

Have not weighed yet. Box says QuickTime lightweight bell housing. LOL. It is 3/16" steel with a block plate like typical clutch cans. 360° protection. It's lighter than my adapter and JW bell by a long shot.

I will weigh and let you guys know. Thanks for asking and complimenting my work, Mike.

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 02/25/15 05:12 AM

Leon is there a hole in the block plate to access the convertor bolts? Also is there any reason the block plate has to be there? Other than to meet sfi cert. My car wont need sfi cert so could i do away with the block plate all together?

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 02/25/15 11:42 AM

Yes, there are two holes for converter bolt access. One just above oil pan rail near starter pocket. Then another at 6 O'clock position where you can tighten up while accessing the but through access/inspection slot in bell.

The block plate is there to protect block and locate starter. You could do away with it and have to alter your starter and converter spacing. The block plate also has a hole off each side for mounting bracket to your frame rails. This is used in place of a midplate.

Once I have everything in my car you guys can see everything has a purpose. OEM uses a converter sheild to keep dirt out. This does that and allows protection from converter explosions. Never had this happen personally. All of the converter/transmission professionals I have spoke with are in favor of the plate. I too had thought of doing away with it until they encouraged me not too.

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 02/25/15 12:14 PM

Hmm thats what i though, about locating the starter. My car doesn't have a mid plate. Keep me up to date about when you get it all soughted mate. Im keen for a kit.

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 02/25/15 01:29 PM

Glad to see it coming together, sad you're not doing a 904 version.

Keep up the good work

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 02/28/15 04:24 PM

1.705" (GM) torque converter pilot made to flexplate.

Attached picture 8443650-_20150228_092550.JPG

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 03/03/15 12:56 AM

Quote:

Leon,

I congratulate you on sticking it out through thick and thin. Your net result is something to truly be proud of. Nice job.

How much does the bell weigh?

Regards
Mike

Quick time bell weighs 20lbs.

The aluminum sbm Reid weight 15 lbs

5 lbs heavier due to steel construction 360 protection and block plate. The cost of extra safety is 5 lbs.

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 03/07/15 02:10 PM

At Indy show. Center aisle two rows up from Indy cyl heads booth. Come by check it out in person

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 03/12/15 03:53 AM

Should go in car this weekend. Waiting on transmission shop. Trying the shops work for those who may want a complete package.

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 03/22/15 09:20 PM

OK everything is in car. Road tested with no issues at all.

Previously with adapter plate, JW bell, stock case, and safety sheild there were always issues. Like put car on lift work under it and get all the styling gel you need, simple comb and your ready to go out to the cruise-ins. The smell of hot transmission fluid after a run or when at stop lights.

Mindful that I just went up the road a couple miles acting like a complete nutt. Ran car on lift for over an hour. Transbraked for a good bit at full throttle. The transmission was good and warm. I have done everything but make a full boogy pass at the drag strip. Can't wait, to make a bottle hit.

Everything has worked great.

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 03/23/15 03:55 AM

Not sure what was wrong with your previous setup, but my trans didn't leak at all.

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 03/23/15 04:13 AM

You were running a 904 in the winter on ice. It never got hot enough to leak lol.

The pump seal alone on your 904 is much smaller and less likely to leak.

Stock glide cases are known for leaking. Bolting bells via pump bolts can make leak problems easier. Adapter plates allow for two distinct possibilities for missaligment. One being surface inperfections and two the dowels themselves. Either can cause leaks.

I ran a solid rear mount and switched to rubber to cut down on the transmission being used for chassis. I read a tech article on the bullit about seeing black on aluminum midplates showing the chassis is flexing causing a solid mounted transmission to bind. This has nothing to do with new bellhousings but, someone else may find this valuable to them.

Attached picture 8468375-IMG_20150322_152638928.jpg

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 03/23/15 07:52 AM

I seen 268° making rounds, I think that's plenty hot lol.

I'm a Mopar guy to the bone so I didn't realize the issues with the glide. Good to know though, thanks for the tech info

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 03/23/15 01:34 PM

When you have been thoroughly burned down and you can smell the paint as it burns off the torque converter at 1000 ft the pressed in fittings in your cooler blow out and the car goes into a big smokey blaze then you've seen heat.

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 03/26/15 03:09 AM

Made a change. Instead of a wedding band welded to the flexplate to pilot the torque converter, I chose to make a crank adapter. The adapter centers on the crank register. It resembles the JW adapters just smaller/lighter. Centers the flexplate and the converter.

Main thing it eliminates the overpriced starter spacer and washers/spacer for converter bolts. Completely cleans it up. This was the original idea. Just couldn't do it in time for Indy and testing in my car.

It's done now.

Attached picture 8471229-IMG_20150325_165032852.jpg

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 04/08/15 12:02 AM

Tested at Rockingham Mopar event. Bellhousing and tranny worked great.

Re: Dodge R5 to Reid bells - 04/30/15 09:35 AM

Still trying to make this bell and flexplate fail. I mean test it lol.

Plenty of motor passes in the index classes. A few nitrous hits with a new four link setup. Hard tire shake and no issues with bellhousing or flexplate. Could not be happier.

On a side note was running a valve spring with a 2.100 installed height. Good for .900" lift. Installed at 2.050" on intake per PAC's recommendation. Left the exhaust at 2.100". Three years and around 2000 miles on the street and they quit liking anything over 8000 rpm. The exhaust had gotten weak. Installed the shorter springs. Should be even better.
© 2024 Moparts Forums