Moparts

Big Tire Cars

Posted By: 1320Dart

Big Tire Cars - 10/16/14 03:48 PM

I've been having an argument with a guy I work with. So please chime in.....

Is there such a thing as "Too much tire"?
If there is, what are the key things to look for?

Thanks for playing
Posted By: OUTLAWSSAA

Re: Big Tire Cars - 10/16/14 04:35 PM

Ya,if its a 10 or 11 sec car,there's no need to run a 14 X 32 tire. In reality its probably slowing the car down.
Posted By: 496 A-body

Re: Big Tire Cars - 10/16/14 04:45 PM

Quote:

Ya,if its a 10 or 11 sec car,there's no need to run a 14 X 32 tire. In reality its probably slowing the car down.

Definitely, I know this SS/KA car shaved off considerable ET by simply going from a 14x32 radial slick to a 10.5x30 radial slick

Re: Big Tire Cars - 10/16/14 05:09 PM

How did you know it wanted a smaller tire?
Posted By: Eric

Re: Big Tire Cars - 10/16/14 05:17 PM

Depends on what you are trying to do. I know some very successful bracket racers who run huge tires on realitively slow cars just for consistancy.

Re: Big Tire Cars - 10/16/14 05:59 PM

Quote:

How did you know it wanted a smaller tire?

I'm guessing because the car is not mine but belongs to the father of a friend, but I'd say it seemed logical, a car that runs 10.40s combined with the minimal torque output of the 283 a 14x32 seems like overkill, his son also runs a 283 powered car in Super Stock and runs a 9x30 radial slick despite having a back halved car and class rules allowing a much bigger tire to be used. Leaves the line at 7k and still prefers the small tire.
Posted By: Dodgeguy101

Re: Big Tire Cars - 10/16/14 06:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Definitely, I know this SS/KA car shaved off considerable ET by simply going from a 14x32 radial slick to a 10.5x30 radial slick

This could be because he went to a smaller diameter tire. But, I would agree if the tire is lighter it will help.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Big Tire Cars - 10/16/14 06:27 PM

Very much agreed that it depends on the application. If it is a bracket car I would say NO. If it is in the case of looking for every last little .01 then yes you can easily have WAY more tire than needed. But I don't think you are building a heads up car so IMO use what works best most consistently.

Re: Big Tire Cars - 10/16/14 06:29 PM

This could be because he went to a smaller diameter tire. But, I would agree if the tire is lighter it will help.

Good point about the diameter! Shortly after making the change in tire size he went from a dana 60 to a 12 bolt, not sure but he may have changed gear ratio to keep his RPMs where he wanted them.

Re: Big Tire Cars - 10/16/14 07:15 PM

Quote:

Very much agreed that it depends on the application. If it is a bracket car I would say NO. If it is in the case of looking for every last little .01 then yes you can easily have WAY more tire than needed. But I don't think you are building a heads up car so IMO use what works best most consistently.

I guess I was wrong then.
I was arguing that there is such a thing as "too much tire" for a car.
Posted By: 80fbody

Re: Big Tire Cars - 10/16/14 08:07 PM

larger tires simply weigh more and have more friction. Same basic reason to have skinny tires up front to reduce rotational mass and friction at the top end. My 2 cents on the subject.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Big Tire Cars - 10/16/14 08:48 PM

You only need enough contact patch to stick the supplied torque on a consistent basis. Anything beyond that is dead weight to pull. WAY too many guys put more tire on their cars than they need as a crutch for a poor working chassis.

Lots of bracket guys are among the "stick and go" persuasion......meaning put a big enough tire on there that you pretty much dead hook it, regardless of track conditions and never have to worry about wheel spin. That's fine if that is the route you want to go, but even at that, if a 14x32 will get the job done, a bigger tire won't help it hook any better and will only slow the car

Now where some of this goes completely out the window, is cars with a LOT of power. Many of these cars will NOT work with the tire dead hooked. They want to shake. In those instances there is definitely a such thing as too much tire

Monte

Re: Big Tire Cars - 10/16/14 09:06 PM

Hi Monte-
This is what I was trying to argue.
Was what you said here:
"They want to shake. In those instances there is definitely a such thing as too much tire."
But I thought that blanket rule for all cars. So that's where I went wrong on my argument
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Big Tire Cars - 10/16/14 10:17 PM

Quote:

Hi Monte-
This is what I was trying to argue.
Was what you said here:
"They want to shake. In those instances there is definitely a such thing as too much tire."
But I thought that blanket rule for all cars. So that's where I went wrong on my argument

Nine times out of ten, if you are "shaking" the tire......you are underpowering the tire

Monte
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Big Tire Cars - 10/16/14 11:49 PM

Yup...I have big tires....And I am slow....Oooh, and I won the Modified Gasser championship last year.

So if your a bracket racer, it may slow you down if they are bigger than you need, but the track is not always perfect either.

What I don't have to do is adjust the suspension for evey little track imperfection or changing conditions...I do make changes to it, but generally once its set-up, it hooks.

I drove a 600hp small tire car a couple years ago....Doing a Ssss down the track is not my idea of racing. Nor did I feel very safe staying in the throttle....
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Big Tire Cars - 10/16/14 11:52 PM

Quote:

Depends on what you are trying to do. I know some very successful bracket racers who run huge tires on relatively slow cars just for consistency.

the answer
Posted By: dakotawilly

Re: Big Tire Cars - 10/17/14 12:17 AM

easy formula,divide the tire width by your i.q. if the answer is less than 2 you should be racing the"short bus"and licking the windows as you pass the 60 ft mark......
Posted By: dvw

Re: Big Tire Cars - 10/17/14 04:19 AM

I bracket race my 9.20 foot brake car in pro and N/SS on a 10.5x29.5. It was in the winners circle 3 times this year, 2 semi-finals in 12 outings. Spin is not a problem.
Doug
Posted By: moparmanjames

Re: Big Tire Cars - 10/17/14 05:11 AM

Quote:

easy formula,divide the tire width by your i.q. if the answer is less than 2 you should be racing the"short bus"and licking the windows as you pass the 60 ft mark......

well everybody will be on the short bus with that formula unless we use millimeters for width.
Posted By: radar

Re: Big Tire Cars - 10/17/14 05:24 AM

Quote:

That doesn't make sense. Baseline: Average IQ is 100. Untubbed duster fits a 275 tire. So that gets you a 2.75- safely above window licker status. A super genius should be able to make a skinny tire hook by controlling the power delivery and instant center but his 150 IQ gets him a 1.83 score- his favorite color is 'clear'= window licker.
Posted By: cgall

Re: Big Tire Cars - 10/17/14 06:57 PM

Maybe the Chevy II picked up some ET by going with a shorter tire.
© 2024 Moparts Forums