Moparts

Grinding for stroke clearance with 4.5" crank

Posted By: turbobitt

Grinding for stroke clearance with 4.5" crank - 01/04/09 06:20 PM

How much grinding is to be expected for a chevy journal 4.5" stroke crank in a world products block ? Just wondering how much I will need to take off the bottom of the cylinders.
Thanks.
Posted By: 602heavy

Re: Grinding for stroke clearance with 4.5" crank - 01/04/09 08:24 PM

If it helps any i had to clearance around .080 thou for a 4.625 crank on a megablock with chevy journals , was left with around .050 rod bolt to cylinder clearance (K1 rods)
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Grinding for stroke clearance with 4.5" crank - 01/04/09 08:28 PM

I did not have to do any grinding for stroke clearance on my World block with a 4.5" stroke Bryant crank. I had to do very minor grinding to the bottom of the bores to clearance for the aluminum rods however.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Grinding for stroke clearance with 4.5" crank - 01/04/09 11:21 PM

Quote:

How much grinding is to be expected for a chevy journal 4.5" stroke crank in a world products block ? Just wondering how much I will need to take off the bottom of the cylinders.
Thanks.

Before grinding on your block mock it up one set of rods and pistons at a time, grind as needed What type of rods, steel or aluminum? Steel rods can live with .030 or larger, aluminum needs more. Follow the rod makers recommendations on how much clearances on the rods and the piston to head clearances A race motor is way better off having a little more clearances than needed on any parts the move than having not quite enough
Posted By: turbobitt

Re: Grinding for stroke clearance with 4.5" crank - 01/05/09 02:07 AM

Rods and crank are K1 steel. Just looking for a rough estimate on what to expect.
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Grinding for stroke clearance with 4.5" crank - 01/05/09 03:48 AM

Im getting ready to find out my self..FYI the Indy Maxx block required ZERO clearances for a 4.5 stroke crank, 2.2 steel rods...Even though a well know shop wanted to charge me several hundred dollars for this work
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Grinding for stroke clearance with 4.5" crank - 01/05/09 07:07 AM

You should be fine and not require any clearancing at all. But with all things mock it up first.
Posted By: 68CudaB1

Re: Grinding for stroke clearance with 4.5" crank - 01/05/09 02:29 PM

Our World Alum block w/ 4.625 stroke and Oliver steel rods was fine as far as block clearance.
© 2024 Moparts Forums