Moparts

Who else runs sliks with no tubes

Posted By: rickb67

Who else runs sliks with no tubes - 10/03/14 06:17 AM

Just wondering who else runs slicks with no tubes.I run Mickey Thompson 10.5 stiff sidewalls.

Attached picture 8289181-IMG_4725.JPG
Posted By: 383man

Re: Who else runs sliks with no tubes - 10/03/14 06:50 AM

I run Hoosier 30 x 9 radial slicks with no tubes and even drive on the street with them. I have been using then for about 4 years and they dont loose any air. Ron

Posted By: MoParFish

Re: Who else runs sliks with no tubes - 10/03/14 07:12 AM

No tubes here. Hoosier 29/10.5-15W
W = Stiff Sidewall

https://www.hoosiertire.com/Drtire.htm

Attached picture 8289221-v10.jpg
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Who else runs sliks with no tubes - 10/03/14 01:03 PM

I have never run tubes, currently have 14.5x32's.
Posted By: slammedR/T

Re: Who else runs sliks with no tubes - 10/03/14 01:10 PM

14x32 hoosiers here, no tubes
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Who else runs sliks with no tubes - 10/03/14 03:23 PM

15x15x33 Goodyears, no tubes.
Posted By: 340B5

Re: Who else runs sliks with no tubes - 10/03/14 03:26 PM

31.5 12.5W Hoosiers, no tubes.

Nice Barracuda
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: Who else runs sliks with no tubes - 10/03/14 03:47 PM

14 X 31 Good Year no tubes.
Nice Barracuda
Mark

Attached picture 8289388-!cid_65F46D8284B34004A9531349C9FC558E@JimHP-Copy.png
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Who else runs sliks with no tubes - 10/03/14 04:02 PM

I`m using the M/T 29x10.5 S stiff sidewally and they leaked like mad till I used fix a flat and now hold air and will be track testing soon..........
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Who else runs sliks with no tubes - 10/03/14 04:47 PM

I never understand why this debate gets so heated for some. There is really no reason NOT to run tubes. It does two things........One, it stiffens the sidewall of the tire which is generally a benefit on ANY car, but especially a heavy one.........Two, air leak issues.......GONE. I see NO downside other then the cost of the tubes

Monte
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Who else runs sliks with no tubes - 10/03/14 05:32 PM

Quote:

I never understand why this debate gets so heated for some. There is really no reason NOT to run tubes. It does two things........One, it stiffens the sidewall of the tire which is generally a benefit on ANY car, but especially a heavy one.........Two, air leak issues.......GONE. I see NO downside other then the cost of the tubes

Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Who else runs sliks with no tubes - 10/03/14 06:06 PM

14x32 M/T stiff walls on 15 inch rims,2750 lb car, no tubes I had the Goodyear warehouse wholesale outlet in Las Vegas mount them at the MATS race this year, I ask for tubes and they told me that Goodyear hadn't made tubes or inner liners in over five years I do have to add air to them and one of them now has a hole in it from racing last weekend I hope it is repairable The 16x33x15 Goodyears that where on the car where ran tubeless also
Posted By: slammedR/T

Re: Who else runs sliks with no tubes - 10/03/14 06:22 PM

I actually ripped a tube on the street once back when I still street raced, haven't ran them since.

Re: Who else runs sliks with no tubes - 10/03/14 06:33 PM

Quote:

Monte

I dont see where it is a debate ? He just asked who dont run tubes and its definetly not heated. Ron
Posted By: JD Dart

Re: Who else runs sliks with no tubes - 10/03/14 07:02 PM

I only run tubes if the brand of tire makes me such as M/T they can go loose 2-3 pounds over night, Goodyear loose 2-3 pounds in 1-3 days Hooziers 2-180 months

Re: Who else runs sliks with no tubes - 10/03/14 07:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

I dont see where it is a debate ? He just asked who dont run tubes and its definetly not heated. Ron

Maybe not in THIS thread Ron, but we have both seen it get that way. Some on this board are..........shall we say VERY passionate about their opinion and seem to get disturbed if you don't see it their way......LOL!!!

Monte
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Who else runs sliks with no tubes - 10/03/14 07:09 PM

Quote:

Some on this board are..........shall we say VERY passionate about their opinion and seem to get disturbed if you don't see it their way......LOL!!!

Monte

I disagree
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Who else runs sliks with no tubes - 10/03/14 07:27 PM

Maybe not in THIS thread Ron, but we have both seen it get that way. Some on this board are..........shall we say VERY passionate about their opinion and seem to get disturbed if you don't see it their way......LOL!!!

Monte

I'm constanly amazed on how many self proclaimed racing experts, who may or may not have any seat time, reside and comment on this board
I learned a long time ago that if you don't listen and are not willing to test, experiemnt and learn your never going to go any faster Most of the my way is the only way crowd do not learn or change
Posted By: WadeMetzinger

Re: Who else runs sliks with no tubes - 10/03/14 07:45 PM

I've never ran tubes and don't think I know anyone that does. I agree with Monte's points about making slicks stiffer, which is good for heavy cars, and they don't leak air.

It seems to me like the slicks now days don't really leak like they used to and the manufactures seem to be making more slicks with stiff sidewalls (which are heavier and probably almost equal the weight of the slick with tubes..lol)

The main negative with running tubes for me and racing an facilities that don't have paved pits is that if you run over something you can plug your slick and keep racing (won't even miss the next round and can run them the rest of the year). If you have tubes and you run over something your done.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Who else runs sliks with no tubes - 10/03/14 09:59 PM

I presently run my 29" Hoosiers tubeless ( usually 11 -11.5 lbs air. I mark them to monitor the slippage - and I do get some. I rotate the tires side to side after about 10 - 15 runs. Tires are glued to the rims. That helps.
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Who else runs sliks with no tubes - 10/03/14 10:16 PM

i've run with and without tubes both have pros and cons. for the most part i don't use them and it's not about cost.

if you have problems with severe air leakage wipe a couple coats of dish detergent on the inside before mounting.

Re: Who else runs sliks with no tubes - 10/04/14 05:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Monte

Thats true as we have seen some heated debates on here but so far this one is not. Myself I dont care who does or does not run tubes as thats up to what that person likes. I just found the Hoosiers I use hold air all winter with no problem and being a street car I also like the fact if I get a flat I can plug it and drive on. But I am not an every weekend racer just a few times a year racer at most. Wish I could go more. Ron
Posted By: rickb67

Re: Who else runs sliks with no tubes - 10/04/14 06:19 AM

Thanks guys. Now do you still screw them or do you rotate them every so often.

Attached picture 8290315-IMG_4724(1).JPG
Posted By: 67dodge67

Re: Who else runs sliks with no tubes - 10/04/14 06:32 AM

Quote:

I actually ripped a tube on the street once back when I still street raced, haven't ran them since.

Exactly what I was told... did not buy/use tubes with my M/T slicks. 11.5x28x15's. However, one tire retains air pressure while the other does lose pressure. I guess one out of two aint all that bad... hahaaaa Eh, after a week of just sitting, I'm not complaining.
Posted By: Dads426

Re: Who else runs sliks with no tubes - 10/04/14 07:07 AM

Hoosier told us not to run tubes, and when we switched to M/T stiff sidewalls (29x10.5) we left them out. The Hoosiers held air between races, the M/T seem to loose a little.

Re: Who else runs sliks with no tubes - 10/04/14 07:47 AM

If you run tubes, you MUST screw the tires to the wheels or use beadlocks. Doing neither of these is asking for a ripped out valve stem. Of course in my opinion screws are a MUST with slicks period, but plenty will be along shortly to tell me I am wrong.........LOL!!!

Monte
Posted By: Tig

Re: Who else runs sliks with no tubes - 10/04/14 02:25 PM

We run tubes, seems to help on the normal slicks we've run now and in the past. We've also tried slicks with stiff sidewalls and tubes, the notes we made says we went slower in the 60ft.
Oh and we run rim screws 16 a side (32 per wheel)because I just cant afford beadlock rims
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: Who else runs sliks with no tubes - 10/04/14 04:29 PM

Quote:

Monte

MY car with 29.5 10.5 micky non stiff is a couple hun faster with tubes
© 2024 Moparts Forums