Moparts

C.L.E.A.N. Engine Bay (hidden wires & components)

Posted By: WyleECoyote

C.L.E.A.N. Engine Bay (hidden wires & components) - 09/30/14 04:56 AM

I have a one-piece tilt front end on my Road Runner so the only thing out there (past the firewall) is frame rails and engine. Once I tilt that front end up, I want a CLEAN look.

I know I'm not the first to want and build a CLEAN engine bay look with the "none-to-minimal life support" appearance, so I appreciate any Photos, Tips, Advice, Suggestions, I can get from everyone here!

All that will be out there (without inner fenders) will be engine and radiator. No PS, No PB, No trans lines, etc.

Oddly enough, 10-point cage and all, I kept the heater core so I can drive it in the winter - and keep a little warm and keep the windows clear, so I'll need the heater hoses to stay.

I plan on the following components on the engine:
-- Mopar electronic ignition
-- MSD coil (and tach wire)
-- Denso 1-wire alternator
-- Water temp

So I need to "hide" - or cleanly mount/route the following:
-- Electronic ignition box
-- Windshield washer reservoir (need ideas for container)
-- Heater hoses
-- Water temp sensor line

My objective here is to eliminate (as in magic) the appearance of any life support to the engine. Thanks to all for any advice or suggestions you can throw my way!

Lastly - excuse the beat up Direct Connection valve covers in the second picture below; they are temp covers for engine break-in while I modify my Mopar Performance ones!

(Hensley Performance built engine; http://www.hensleyperformance.com )

Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: C.L.E.A.N. Engine Bay (hidden wires & components) - 09/30/14 01:24 PM

Quote:

Oddly enough, 10-point cage and all, I kept the heater core so I can drive it in the winter - and keep a little warm and keep the windows clear, so I'll need the heater hoses to stay.

I was racing until almost midnight on Saturday when it got cold and slightly foggy...and was very thankful to have the heater/defrost in my car, so I don't blame you for this one bit.

Can't help you much, but we have mounted the ignition box inside the car to hide it and keep it away from moisture/engine heat.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: C.L.E.A.N. Engine Bay (hidden wires & components) - 09/30/14 01:44 PM

Well being your a BB that helps with the wires in
front... you can run your heater hoses down off the
housing then jump to the frame to the fire wall... you
can also run a smaller heater hose with the electrical
wires in it and have it end right near the others on
the engine then run to the coil(mounted low) and to
the alt.. have the reg mounted on the rad yoke down
low... keep all 3 hoses together to look clean
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: C.L.E.A.N. Engine Bay (hidden wires & components) - 09/30/14 03:50 PM

Quote:

-- Heater hoses

I have always toyed with the idea of using an old speaker-mount rear window defroster for the windshield...but that is neither here nor there.

I would mount the ign under the dash. I ran all my wires for ignition/alternator down the passenger side frame rail, then have the harness coming across at the alternator. But I have a bit more room down there without the mech fuel pump. I would fab the heater lines out of SS tubing and also route them along the frame rail.

You could fab a small reservoir for the washer fluid, but I am not sure there is a clever way to hide the plumbing up to the cowl.

The problem with hiding everything, is it makes it a nightmare to work on. I would almost be tempted to mount/route everything out of the way, then make a cover, paint it, and no one will no the difference.

I don't mind seeing the inner workings, but this is cleaned up a bit compared to stock.

and I'd totally keep the DC valve covers!

Attached picture 8285836-IMG_1101_JPG.jpg
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: C.L.E.A.N. Engine Bay (hidden wires & components) - 09/30/14 04:33 PM

I mounted the ign. box inside, coil is inside the pass. side motor mount. wiring on the engine side of the frame rail. We put a plug in disconnect for the dog house wiring to make that easily removable. A low mounted alt. would help hide things even better.
This is the only pic. I have on this computer.

Mark

Attached picture 8285879-IMAG0207-Copy.jpg
Posted By: Kevins493

Re: C.L.E.A.N. Engine Bay (hidden wires & components) - 09/30/14 06:02 PM

Did that car come out of Maryland? If so I know the guy that built it.
Posted By: Oyvind Mopar

Re: C.L.E.A.N. Engine Bay (hidden wires & components) - 09/30/14 07:13 PM

You can route the wires and waterhoses under the intake. You can use the rear valley pan bolts for holding relays and ignition box etc., if you bolt them on a flat plate; there should be some room behind the intake. My
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: C.L.E.A.N. Engine Bay (hidden wires & components) - 09/30/14 08:49 PM

I would lose the notion of running an MP ignition box and go with a ready to run distributor that has the electronics inside it, or use an MSD box and mount it under the dash.

as someone else said you can run the engine wires along the engine and you can run your headlight wiring along the framerail and up to the pivot point of the nose.
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: C.L.E.A.N. Engine Bay (hidden wires & components) - 09/30/14 11:45 PM

Another pic,
You can see where the harness goes to the inside of the frame. The coil and ignition are Crane items.

Mark

Attached picture 8286362-!cid_00c501cd235f$07ed4d30$6FB1F383@MobileUnit1.jpg
Posted By: dvw

Re: C.L.E.A.N. Engine Bay (hidden wires & components) - 10/01/14 12:42 AM

I ran my wiring through the right frame rail right behind the motor plate mount. The starter wiring has a bulkhead that bolts through the firewall.
Doug

Attached picture 8286420-53.JPG
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: C.L.E.A.N. Engine Bay (hidden wires & components) - 10/01/14 01:07 AM

Mine still in progress....

Attached picture 8286451-IMAG0049_zps6fb5abda.jpg

Re: C.L.E.A.N. Engine Bay (hidden wires & components) - 10/01/14 01:10 AM

With motor installed.

Attached picture 8286456-E33.jpg
Posted By: G_bob

Re: C.L.E.A.N. Engine Bay (hidden wires & components) - 10/01/14 03:55 AM

MSD box is mounted inside with access to the rev limiter and two-step through the glove box door. Wires are tucked up under the pinch weld on the firewall and then under the passenger side down bar to the distributor, alternator, ect. Fuel line feeding the regulator and the return line are plumb through the wheelwell.

Re: C.L.E.A.N. Engine Bay (hidden wires & components) - 10/01/14 10:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

-- Heater hoses

I would mount the ign under the dash. I ran all my wires for ignition/alternator down the passenger side frame rail, then have the harness coming across at the alternator. But I have a bit more room down there without the mech fuel pump. I would fab the heater lines out of SS tubing and also route them along the frame rail.

I would almost be tempted to mount/route everything out of the way, then make a cover, paint it, and no one will no the difference.

I don't mind seeing the inner workings, but this is cleaned up a bit compared to stock.

and I'd totally keep the DC valve covers!

I love the way you did your heater hoses! Thanks for all these ideas, I'll keep them in mind as I fab!

Re: C.L.E.A.N. Engine Bay (hidden wires & components) - 10/01/14 10:56 PM

Quote:

I mounted the ign. box inside, coil is inside the pass. side motor mount. wiring on the engine side of the frame rail. We put a plug in disconnect for the dog house wiring to make that easily removable. A low mounted alt. would help hide things even better.
This is the only pic. I have on this computer.

Mark

Nice and clean! Thanks - I like the coil mounted down there.

Re: C.L.E.A.N. Engine Bay (hidden wires & components) - 10/01/14 10:59 PM

Quote:

I ran my wiring through the right frame rail right behind the motor plate mount. The starter wiring has a bulkhead that bolts through the firewall.
Doug

AWESOME idea with the bulkhead for the starter!
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: C.L.E.A.N. Engine Bay (hidden wires & components) - 10/01/14 11:02 PM

Thanks, in hindsight it would have been better to mount them out of the way...Let's just say the are hot when you reach under the hood

Re: C.L.E.A.N. Engine Bay (hidden wires & components) - 10/02/14 01:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Doug

AWESOME idea with the bulkhead for the starter!

They're less than $10 from Speedway Automotive. I used a 2nd one inside as well.
Doug

Attached picture 8287759-E17.JPG
Posted By: Dragula

Re: C.L.E.A.N. Engine Bay (hidden wires & components) - 10/02/14 03:07 AM

This work for you?

Re: C.L.E.A.N. Engine Bay (hidden wires & components) - 10/02/14 01:37 PM

Quote:

This work for you?

YES. Nice!!
Posted By: Stanton

Re: C.L.E.A.N. Engine Bay (hidden wires & components) - 10/02/14 02:05 PM

Shoulda filled all those holes !!!
Posted By: cogen80

Re: C.L.E.A.N. Engine Bay (hidden wires & components) - 10/02/14 02:14 PM

lack of wires look great.... BUT... IMHO all the holes that were not filled take away from the look big time. the top of the shocks being painted looks bad, same with the upper control arm cam bolts and master cyl mounting plate being painted green. they all take away from what could be a really good looking engine compartment.

Posted By: BJS racing

Re: C.L.E.A.N. Engine Bay (hidden wires & components) - 10/02/14 05:29 PM

I don't have any pics of it but I did a mustang a while back and I took all of the wiring to the engine and put adel clamps on the oil pan bolts and ran all of the wiring to the front of the engine along the pan and then up the front of the engine. Was really clean and you could still get to it if you had to check something. Head light wiring I would run through the frame rails to the front.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: C.L.E.A.N. Engine Bay (hidden wires & components) - 10/02/14 08:59 PM

I like a clean looking engine compartment but I don't like to hide so much stuff that it starts to look boring in there. I hid everything on one of my cars in the past and it made everything hard to work on as someone already mentioned. I'm not completely done with my Duster but it will be nice and neat, black convolute keeps things tidy. And I put all new bolts and washers in as I didn't like the painted green ones. 750 carb is temporary til I get the 950 done, just need to find a couple metering blocks for it.

Attached picture 8288554-20140923_183023.jpg

Re: C.L.E.A.N. Engine Bay (hidden wires & components) - 10/02/14 11:22 PM

Quote:

lack of wires look great.... BUT... IMHO all the holes that were not filled take away from the look big time. the top of the shocks being painted looks bad, same with the upper control arm cam bolts and master cyl mounting plate being painted green. they all take away from what could be a really good looking engine compartment.

They are coil overs not shocks...And as an original 440+6 shaker hood 4 speed car with only 13k miles on it, I left the holes figuring whomever was well off enough to afford to buy it some day will most likely switch it back to stock. Not to mention at the time I painted it, I did not have a mig welder to do that. Maybe I should leave the under coating on next time too.

If I were to do it my way. it wouldn't even have inner fenders or a stock firewall. This seemed to be the best compromise between what I wanted and keeping some value to it. Besides, nobody notices the engine bay with that thing in there....If I repaint it this winter when I pull the engine, who knows...
Posted By: Duner

Re: C.L.E.A.N. Engine Bay (hidden wires & components) - 10/03/14 01:06 AM

All of these pics all you guys have posted look great and make me feel bad for not trying to clean mine up. It's a mess. But I can't help but comment that I'm developing a serious case of HEMI ENVY after looking at those pics!

Re: C.L.E.A.N. Engine Bay (hidden wires & components) - 10/03/14 02:09 AM

Quote:

This work for you?

Very nice. People are complaining but overall very well done. Nice detail on the engine itself, way better than most. Paint on the bolts is a quick cheap fix compared to the quality of the rest.
Doug
Posted By: BloFish

Re: C.L.E.A.N. Engine Bay (hidden wires & components) - 10/04/14 04:40 AM

This is as clean as I could get it

Attached picture 8290265-image.jpg

Re: C.L.E.A.N. Engine Bay (hidden wires & components) - 10/04/14 05:35 AM

My other build I sold last year.....Less polish, easy to just drive...

Posted By: mopar dave

Re: C.L.E.A.N. Engine Bay (hidden wires & components) - 10/04/14 06:02 AM

nice clean rides guys. mines not quite as nice but here it is anyway.

Attached picture 8290309-IMG_0180.JPG
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: C.L.E.A.N. Engine Bay (hidden wires & components) - 10/04/14 06:03 AM

here's another.

Attached picture 8290310-IMG_0196.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums