Moparts

Shay Nichols and Walt Maynard Questions

Posted By: mgpanos

Shay Nichols and Walt Maynard Questions - 01/04/09 05:39 AM

Wondering if anyone has info on Shay Nichols Dart Sport PS car? Who built it? Did she have more than one?

Also, there was a fellow in Ohio by the name of Walt Maynard who raced an A-body PS car, and also a Hemi Colt? Anyone have any photos of the Colt or info on it?

Thanks,

Mark
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: Shay Nichols and Walt Maynard Questions - 01/04/09 04:47 PM

heres a pic of the car..

http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2000150080082607023fSBkpd
Posted By: RaceCarRegistry

Re: Shay Nichols and Walt Maynard Questions - 01/04/09 06:05 PM

Here's Phil's answer:

"Reed,
This is the Joe Smith car that Shay wrecked at Amarillo.The wrecked
pieces were sold to Larry Hill in San Angelo and he recycled them into a
1974 Duster that he ran locally and in Texas Pro Stock meets. Larry was
my crew chief for 5 years. The last time I saw the car was at Nashville,
Tn. running with a wedge bigblock in e.t. racing.
Phil "

They had (3) A-bodies - Shay wrecked/destroyed two of them - the third one was later reskinned and is MIA. Phil is a friend of mine and we accounted for most of their cars.
Trivia for the day,
Reed in Neb.
Posted By: 9SecRoadRunner

Re: Shay Nichols and Walt Maynard Questions - 01/05/09 01:30 AM

Walt Maynards shop was about 7 miles from my house, it was in the village of Anna Ohio, about 2 yrs ago the village foreclosed on the property as Walt has been living in Florida for years, some friends of Walts went thru and gathered up alot of stuff to save for him before the demo'd the building, rumor was several sets of hemi heads and a few blocks went to the local scrap yard, not sure though, an old funny car body was saved as was Walts PS Aspen/Volare' and were hauled to Florida to him, A friend went thru the building and told me there was 20-30 cranks, 10+ sets of heads and 20 or so blocks laying around..I do remember walking into his shop when I was about 16 and looking at his 68 hemi dart
Posted By: ww63

Re: Shay Nichols and Walt Maynard Questions - 01/05/09 02:13 AM

one of the Shay Nichols cars is still being raced in Illinois, car has had hundreds maybe thousands of passes and still winning races. A testament to Joe Smiths abilities
Posted By: wertrew1

Re: Shay Nichols and Walt Maynard Questions - 03/09/11 12:39 AM

when i was a kid in houston ,i worked on a neighborhood car ,sammy robertsons chargin charger,purchased from shay nichols,,,we had the driveshaft out one day ,and on it was the message ,,,phil ,dont touch my drive shaft,,,,always wondered about thaT ,,,ANYBODY,,stinsonwarren@gmail.com
Posted By: ram87

Re: Shay Nichols and Walt Maynard Questions - 03/09/11 02:59 PM

Just saw Phil opening up his office (shop). I am on the fifth floor of the building across the street and usually get to work a little earlier than Phil. I will ask him if he has any more info. on Shay's cars - and about the note on the driveshaft.
Posted By: ram87

Re: Shay Nichols and Walt Maynard Questions - 03/09/11 08:45 PM

Phil said the note on the driveshaft was in reference to a '55 Chevy that he raced and had trouble keeping driveshafts in. He said he would get on this site and look around. May be able to answer some questions. Phil and Shay both ran stockers, super stockers and Pro Stock. One of the first cars I remember Phil having was a '54 Plymouth Savoy. Neat old car. He just told me it was his third car.

Attached picture 6520588-orange27.jpg
Posted By: 9SecRoadRunner

Re: Shay Nichols and Walt Maynard Questions - 03/10/11 01:15 AM

Walts car at the old Pences / Shelby Dragway in Sidney,Ohio

Attached picture 6521093-waltmaynardduster_ter_584.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums