Moparts

A piece of drag racing history @ BGR

Posted By: Uncle Barry

A piece of drag racing history @ BGR - 09/21/14 06:39 PM

I stopped at Bob's and this was getting the finishing touches put on it.

Attached picture 8276511-vette3.jpg

Re: A piece of drag racing history @ BGR - 09/21/14 06:43 PM

Attached picture 8276517-vette2.jpg

Re: A piece of drag racing history @ BGR - 09/21/14 06:45 PM

Attached picture 8276520-vette.jpg
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: A piece of drag racing history @ BGR - 09/21/14 06:47 PM

Very nice. Those wires hurt my eyes ! Bob, maybe ask him to get some retro-orange race wires on it. Looks like a killer piece.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: A piece of drag racing history @ BGR - 09/21/14 08:20 PM

The "Wife Trouble"Corvette belong to Bill Brookman from Washington Pa.It's history is a big part of Western Pa racing history.Bill started his career in the early 60s, running E Sports/Production,Modifed/Prod,C/Gas and C/Altered with the 62 Corvette.It was retired to street duty in the early 80s.Bill past away in a tragic accident a few years ago.His son Rodney Brookman now owns the car.Being a long time friend of the Brookman family Rodney ask me to restore it to it's legendary race heritage.Anyone familiar with dragracing in the tri-state area will recall Bill and the "Wife Trouble" Corvette and their wining reputation.I raced against Bill with many of my cars and found him not only a tough racer but one of the nicest people you would ever meet.
It is with great honor for us at BGR to be able to honor Bill's menory by doing this project.We thank Rodney Brookman for the oppertunity to share in the respect for Bill.
Posted By: Eric

Re: A piece of drag racing history @ BGR - 09/21/14 08:21 PM

That car is a work of art. Bob should be very proud of the job he did bringing it back to strip form
Posted By: oddjob

Re: A piece of drag racing history @ BGR - 09/21/14 08:30 PM

I saw this car when Bob began working on it, and I saw it completed. All I can saw is WOW!!! Fantastic job!!!

Re: A piece of drag racing history @ BGR - 09/21/14 08:41 PM

Quote:

That car is a work of art. Bob should be very proud of the job he did bringing it back to strip form

Eric,yes proud,but humbled buy the entire experience.
A unique story unfolded as we began this project.The thought of finding a canted stacked injection unit was going to be nearly imposible.Hilborn made less than 200 units like this between 1970 and 1973.We found an ad on ebay for an early injection manifold that the saler said he would convert to EFI.I called and told him I wanted it and to set it up for mechanical as it originally was.After some discussion with Mike at Alkydiggers and Hilborn on the restoration it was discovered that a name was stamped into the manifold body.To add a erie feeling to an already emotional project the name stamped was Brookman Auto.It is the original injection manifold that Bill had run and after carefull reconditioning it resides back in it's former glory in the Vette.It has been a great year long adventure finding all the correct wheels and parts and remanufacturing componants with the help of many of Bill's fanily and friends.Again we are honored and humbled but also extremely grateful to have the oppertunity to be part of this project.
Posted By: 6PAK70CUDA

Re: A piece of drag racing history @ BGR - 09/21/14 09:07 PM

What a story!
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: A piece of drag racing history @ BGR - 09/21/14 09:21 PM

Great restoration and really cool story on the injection. Car is awesome in person. When is the first exhibition run planned? And can you give us some info on the setup?
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: A piece of drag racing history @ BGR - 09/21/14 09:28 PM

Beautiful Car and Incredible Story / History

Rickster

Re: A piece of drag racing history @ BGR - 09/22/14 12:14 AM

We are waiting on some hard to get parts and need to finish some wiring and brake work.I asked "Sparkey" about a set of Firecore wires at MM.After we finish the remaining work,it's fluids and fire-up We hope to display it next weekend at the PID/NSS race at PRP, and if we get every thing completed maybe a few hits.There are quite a few interesting stories about Bill and the "Wife Trouble" Corvette that we may share later.He also campained a 67 Camero call "More Wife Trouble" for a short time.He raced the Vette his entire career.
Posted By: therocks

Re: A piece of drag racing history @ BGR - 09/22/14 12:52 AM

Nice looking car.Keep up the great work.Rocky
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: A piece of drag racing history @ BGR - 09/22/14 01:01 AM

one for the books. Wow.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: A piece of drag racing history @ BGR - 09/22/14 01:14 AM

Great work as usual Bob Does that car use a Doug Nash box or a modified HEMI box like some of the early M/P cars ran?
It would be nice to have a screaming small block and a face-plate Doug Nash behind it
Gus

Attached picture 8276861-5434258-READY2.JPG
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: A piece of drag racing history @ BGR - 09/22/14 02:05 AM

Quote:

Beautiful Car and Incredible Story / History

Rickster

Way Cool!!!
Posted By: 11secaarcuda

Re: A piece of drag racing history @ BGR - 09/22/14 04:57 AM

Quote:

The "Wife Trouble"Corvette belong to Bill Brookman from Washington Pa.It's history is a big part of Western Pa racing history.Bill started his career in the early 60s, running E Sports/Production,Modifed/Prod,C/Gas and C/Altered with the 62 Corvette.It was retired to street duty in the early 80s.Bill past away in a tragic accident a few years ago.His son Rodney Brookman now owns the car.Being a long time friend of the Brookman family Rodney ask me to restore it to it's legendary race heritage.Anyone familiar with dragracing in the tri-state area will recall Bill and the "Wife Trouble" Corvette and their wining reputation.I raced against Bill with many of my cars and found him not only a tough racer but one of the nicest people you would ever meet.
It is with great honor for us at BGR to be able to honor Bill's menory by doing this project.We thank Rodney Brookman for the oppertunity to share in the respect for Bill.

That is awesome to see that it has been returned to "as raced" condition. I can't wait to see that car this weekend.
By the way, do you remember the Golden Goddess Corvette? Joann still has that car.

Re: A piece of drag racing history @ BGR - 09/22/14 01:09 PM

]

That is awesome to see that it has been returned to "as raced" condition. I can't wait to see that car this weekend.
By the way, do you remember the Golden Goddess Corvette? Joann still has that car.

Mike.Yes I remember the Golden Goddess and Joan as well as many other well known racers from the era.The Tri-state area was and still is known for many notable name racers.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: A piece of drag racing history @ BGR - 09/22/14 05:05 PM

Posted By: JohnRR

Re: A piece of drag racing history @ BGR - 09/22/14 07:34 PM

Do you have a BEFORE picture Bob ?
Posted By: VPofGreen

Re: A piece of drag racing history @ BGR - 09/22/14 10:07 PM

Seems like only last week that thing rolled in there. You da man BG!

Re: A piece of drag racing history @ BGR - 09/24/14 02:28 AM

We would like to thank Jerry Wagner of Wagner Auto Body for the excellent paint work.Many may remember Curt's Hemi Challenger,it was also done by Jerry as was our Hemi Dart Clone.Thank to Jerry and his Crew.
Posted By: sleepyhead416

Re: A piece of drag racing history @ BGR - 10/07/14 02:30 PM

That car bring's a tear to my eye's. Very Nice Job.
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: A piece of drag racing history @ BGR - 10/07/14 04:23 PM

OUTSTANDING

great job Bob....
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: A piece of drag racing history @ BGR - 10/07/14 11:46 PM

All I can add is wow! Great story, and a great job in restoring it!
Posted By: ChuckT

Re: A piece of drag racing history @ BGR - 10/14/14 09:56 PM

Quote:

Do you have a BEFORE picture Bob ?

When it was raced at PID:

Re: A piece of drag racing history @ BGR - 10/15/14 12:05 AM

Yes we have documented the entire process for the owner.Jim Sinkiwitz and his crew as well as Bill Truby have pictures also.There was pictures taken at PRP when we presented the car to Bill's son.I would ask the owners permission before posting any from the build.As mentioned this has been a respectful and emotional undertaking on behalf of Rodney Brookman,Bill's son and myself and a tight family like relationship.We thank all at BGR and Wagner Auto Body for their efforts.
© 2024 Moparts Forums