Moparts

Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block?

Posted By: Dragula

Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/15/14 07:05 PM

How do you like it, and I am assuming your running a girdle as well. I have a 512 currently, and it is been awesome. I intend to build a spare short block this winter, and I was thinking of the 543 option this go around....Heck is 6.14's in the 1/8th are awesome on pump gas...I am sure a 543 will even be better...
Posted By: Eric

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/15/14 09:07 PM

Watched you go down the track yesterday....I was up with Wafflebatter (Doug with the roadster)

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/15/14 10:25 PM

Quote:

Watched you go down the track yesterday....I was up with Wafflebatter (Doug with the roadster)

Attendance was very low yestarday....Sorry I didn't see you their. Stop over next time...I was kinda still hurting from surgey earlier in the week, and was just off a little....Cut a .500 light in first time trial though, followed by a couple of .470's.

Only to break out in first round with a 6.15...on a 6.16 dial when it rain a pair of 6.17's in time trials. I would have hit the brakes, but I got stuck in the left and it has the big bump at the end. I have to clear that before hitting the brakes hard. Oh well... Nothing broke, so it was a good day.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/16/14 03:22 AM

Built mine in 2010
Was dialed 6.00 Friday night in soup air. 85% humidity
Would have gone a 5.96 or so if I didn't peddle for a round win.
Posted By: mshred

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/16/14 03:32 AM

Would this be in an RB or B block??

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/16/14 03:41 AM

Mine is an RB block. 1977 casting
It has a little more in it but I don't run the car on the ragged edge. I'd rather keep a little off the edge for reliability. It Is a stock block lol my roller is under .700
I also have a tall fill in it and its a 541 since I'm .055 over.
No girdle, stock caps with ARP studs.
It's 440 source crank and pistons, I went with aluminum rods. And had it balanced locally.
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/16/14 04:16 AM

What do you keep your rpm,s limited and whats the comp? Nice numbers,

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/16/14 05:06 AM

Quote:

What do you keep your rpm,s limited and whats the comp? Nice numbers,

Launch at 2100 and shift at 6400...This would be an RB block and it would have a girdle....Current engine on pump gas is putting out right around 730...with the small carburator, and OOTB heads.
Posted By: jyrki

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/16/14 08:07 AM

I built one 4.5" sroke 440 a few years back for a egular street car. t had homeportd RPM heads, team G intake and a Scotto Brown specced mech roller cam. Worked great and made hue torque, the stock suspension 3600+ lbs car with 3.23 gears, powerglide and 275 M/T ET radial streets run 10.4 in the 1/4. For making power at highter rpm levels bigger port heads are a must!
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/16/14 09:08 AM

If your talking about using a 4.500 stroke crank in a stock 440 block and race it when do you expect that grenade to explode? I wouldn't put that large of a load on the 440 main webs, even with a "girdle" and block filler Remember the designed strength of the B and RB type blocks is in the oil pan rail supports and block skirt, the main webs are not intended or designed to hold much above 700 HP. Sticking a set of main studs and using the oil pan bolts to hold a girdle on the bottom is not my idea of a good design, more like a poor bandiad
Save your money and buy a good block to start with
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/16/14 12:48 PM

Quote:

If your talking about using a 4.500 stroke crank in a stock 440 block and race it when do you expect that grenade to explode? I wouldn't put that large of a load on the 440 main webs, even with a "girdle" and block filler Remember the designed strength of the B and RB type blocks is in the oil pan rail supports and block skirt, the main webs are not intended or designed to hold much above 700 HP. Sticking a set of main studs and using the oil pan bolts to hold a girdle on the bottom is not my idea of a good design, more like a poor bandiad
Save your money and buy a good block to start with

Well , i do not run that stroker but I know of 2 that run very well deep into 9,30 with
410 geared cars , 3000# with pro comp full port max wedge heads,,
have been together for several years with just normal issues in refreshing after 2 years of campaining
How ever,,
I have seen those same cars run 9.40 with 500 stroked motors and stock out of
the box RPM heads

Finding the right combo , right mix of parts
Being able to tune a combo, tires gear converter
Is an age ole racers search as much as the fountain of
youth
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/16/14 03:24 PM

I wouldn't plan a 4.5 stroke in a 440 block for anything beyond about 600 hp, and then only if I had a very light rotating assembly and / or a center weighted crank to help relieve stress on the bottom end combined with small port heads. I ran a 4.5 x 4.350 bore combo for a while, shifting at 5700 till I ran over the crank. It was cracked and only went about 300 passes. The block showed cap walk though.
Posted By: DusterDave

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/16/14 06:43 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't plan a 4.5 stroke in a 440 block for anything beyond about 600 hp, and then only if I had a very light rotating assembly and / or a center weighted crank to help relieve stress on the bottom end combined with small port heads....

At that point, why bother with the long stroke if you're not going after a big HP number? Get a Megablock or other aftermarket block, let it eat, and sleep soundly.

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/16/14 07:27 PM

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/17/14 11:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I wouldn't plan a 4.5 stroke in a 440 block for anything beyond about 600 hp, and then only if I had a very light rotating assembly and / or a center weighted crank to help relieve stress on the bottom end combined with small port heads....

At that point, why bother with the long stroke if you're not going after a big HP number? Get a Megablock or other aftermarket block, let it eat, and sleep soundly.

The reasons are budget, what's on hand and the torque range desired.

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/17/14 11:38 AM

Some interesting replies....So nobody over +700hp stroker in a stock block? According to some on here, ours should have blown up 3 seasons ago...I have no doubt it will eventually let go, but I have a stock block sitting here, so I would like to build a spare.

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/17/14 12:55 PM

If you are over 700 hp now, then you won't build any less on the next one, right? I would sell the stock block and go with a better one. I know that is not cheap, but when you figure the cost of a broken engine, and most likely a lost weekend and down time, and it gets a lot cheaper! On top of that, you would have options of a bigger bore. That almost always helps hp. Also You could buy the after market block, have everything but the bore and hone done to leave options open, and it wouldn't take long to put another together.
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/17/14 02:40 PM

Stock blocks are cheap easy to come by
If a motor blows it doesnt matter if it is a 200$ block or a
5000$ block
If your paying attention to your motors pulling maintains and certain refresh methods
you can get alot of years of trouble free use out of stock block
As i stated before the 540 we have in our stable none have blown up
And been together for number of years now
You have to know the number of how long do you dare run any rod combo under
any race prepped motor
Engine builder and balancer is key as well as tune and damage done by inenvertant
Operator errors
Stock blocks do work will work is there a cap as to how much how far
Sure but that goes for any block any combo out there
I have seen so many high end blocks hurt beyond repair i just stay with
my stock blocks thank you
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/17/14 05:05 PM

The thing about a high HP stock block motor, is that you NEVER KNOW. You are using a 30-40 year old block that may be good or not, but was never intended to make more than about 600HP in any configuration. Its a crap shoot at best.

Just because so and so has a motor that has lasted fine is totally irrelevant. That's not your motor. Now, could you break a GOOD block........sure you could but the percentages go WAY down.

A high HP stock block may last 1000 runs, 100 runs or 10 runs........you just don't know. I have in the past had stock block motors that made over 1000hp on nitrous. Would I build that now??...............hell no, because I know it is a bomb waiting to go off and will most likely ruin everything when it does. I understand a budget, but what is cheaper, a block...........or a block, crank, rods, pistons, cam and potentially heads.

A girdle or any of that other crap you bolt on the bottom of one is NOT a fix, it is simply a weak bandaid for thinly cast main webs. It might help, but most likely not. So and so having a motor with a girdle that has lasted is not a sound argument, because you don't KNOW if it would be broken without it. I never ran one. I chose to run alum rods and alum caps to absorb some shock( which is what breaks blocks).

Bottom line...........stock block is a crap shoot. Proceed at your own risk

Monte
Posted By: Charger453

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/17/14 06:20 PM

I just cracked my block above the #2 main. My motor had been a mid-11 second combo in a 3900# Charger for a few years, then became a mid-10 second car and I recently ran 6.27 @ 113+ in the same car. I wanted to do a gen 3 hemi but the cost for a complete swap is nuts.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/17/14 06:21 PM

From what I've observed over the years everyone needs to learn this lesson the hard way. A lot of people on here have switched over to aftermarket blocks but usually only after they've blown up a stock block.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/17/14 06:27 PM

Dragula, I had, sold it, a 526 CI motor(4380borex4.375 stroke) in a stock 440 block with ductile iron main caps make over 845 HP on race gas. It was dyno tuned and I ended up melting three pistons on the dyno due to a loose power valve block off plug in the rear carb., I kept leaning all eight barrels down and the motor kept gaining power until it melted those pistonsI didn't pay enough attention to the 8 EGT and AFR from one side of the motor to the other The new owner has not raced that motor yet, he is building a new car, it isn't done yet, he went through a divorce and so on
My message is the larger motor will make more power and strain on the main webbing, buy a good block or keep the power down below 700 HP and shift it before 7500 RPM I've seen several stock blocks, 426 M.W. and 440, break the main webs at or close to 650 HP As Monte said some get away with stock blocks and others have wreck and injured themselves do to block failures while racing, don't take a chance
Posted By: sc4400

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/17/14 07:11 PM

FWIW... We ran a stock block 540 with Program caps, good balancer(ATI) on alcohol. Shift at 7000. Had to be 750+hp as it went 7.90 in a dragster. While freshening, it was discovered that #4 main web was cracked. Got a free pass on that one. Aftermarket blocks aren't cheap. But at least we aren't replacing CNC -1 heads!! or the crank...or the rods...or the pistons...or the pan..you get the idea.

RIP
Posted By: Eric

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/17/14 08:42 PM

My next purchase will be an aluminum block.
Posted By: Charger453

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/17/14 09:52 PM

Perhaps they need to become affordable before the LS swap craze makes it into Mopars. But let's be honest, how else can you build a "reliable" 800-1000+ HP for that $?

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/18/14 12:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, of course, Greg. But, having a limited budget doesn't trump common sense, and most of all, safety. Like Monte said, you'll never know when the bomb will go off, and if it lets go at the top end, the resulting damage will be a lot more than what an aftermarket block costs.
Posted By: XXHEMI

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/18/14 12:51 AM

When ever I read these threads I get a sinking felling in my belly. I have been running a 541 in my F.A.S.T car for the past 6 years. I have been using a stock block not because of my budget but because of the rules of the class. Which since have changed. I don't believe many of the faster cars where following the rules to begin with but I was dumb enough too???

It has all very good light weight parts in it and has at least 400 passes on it with no issues. It does come apart after every 50-70 passes and always looks good with the exception of the stock cast iron 286 heads. Every season the heads are out for repair or replacement.

Stock block, factory max wedge heads and intake as well as exhaust manifolds. I shift it at 7,000 and it goes thru the traps at 7,500.

So far so good!

Thanks HP Mike
Posted By: GY3

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/18/14 01:39 AM

Quote:

When ever I read these threads I get a sinking felling in my belly. I have been running a 541 in my F.A.S.T car for the past 6 years. I have been using a stock block not because of my budget but because of the rules of the class. Which since have changed. I don't believe many of the faster cars where following the rules to begin with but I was dumb enough too???

It has all very good light weight parts in it and has at least 400 passes on it with no issues. It does come apart after every 50-70 passes and always looks good with the exception of the stock cast iron 286 heads. Every season the heads are out for repair or replacement.

Stock block, factory max wedge heads and intake as well as exhaust manifolds. I shift it at 7,000 and it goes thru the traps at 7,500.

So far so good!

Thanks HP Mike

Are you using the stock oil pan pickup?

Crossram intake mods?
Posted By: moparmanjames

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/18/14 02:34 AM

Quote:

Some interesting replies....So nobody over +700hp stroker in a stock block? According to some on here, ours should have blown up 3 seasons ago...I have no doubt it will eventually let go, but I have a stock block sitting here, so I would like to build a spare.

I'm only running a 4.375 stroker in an RB block but It made 750hp at 6200 on the dyno at 34 degrees total.
I backed the timing down to 30 total since my friends son wanted to drive it and it ran
10.26 @131mph in a 3200# Duster at Vegas. I'm worried about it letting go so I'm looking for a nice aftermarket block as well.
Posted By: MoParFish

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/18/14 07:18 AM

Here's my buddys "aftermarket" ford block. Kinda made him

Attached picture 8273654-block2.jpg
Posted By: MoParFish

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/18/14 07:22 AM

Took the rotating assembly out and poor thing just fell apart. Got two nice 4 cylinder wine racks now...

Attached picture 8273655-block1.jpg

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/18/14 12:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, of course, Greg. But, having a limited budget doesn't trump common sense, and most of all, safety. Like Monte said, you'll never know when the bomb will go off, and if it lets go at the top end, the resulting damage will be a lot more than what an aftermarket block costs.

Dave, I don't understand the "common sense" comment? I believe we are on the same page. That is, a stock block has its limits. You can only push it so far, then you risk breaking it, and the risk goes up with the stress you put on it like anything else. If a guys budget doesn't have the funds for an aftermarket block, then the build better take the risks into consideration, or the builder better understand the risks.
Increasing the stroke from 3.75 to 4.5 raises the stress on the parts by 44.5 percent. Raising the rpm from 5500 to 6000 multiplies that 44.5 percent by another 20 percent, for a total of 170 percent of the original stress of the 3.75 stroke. If your parts are 40 percent lighter, the whole deal falls back to a two percent increase in stress when you compare a stock weight 3.75 stroke motor to a 4.5 stroke light weight assembly with the rpm limits I talked about. So I see it as apples to apples due to reduced rpm and light parts IF you run it in the right rpm range, and aren't hurting it with a bad tune or nitrous. Most motors can be pushed about 50 percent higher than they were originally designed for. On an old 440 block I wouldn't go that high.

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/18/14 01:02 PM

So far so good!

Thanks HP Mike

Are you using the stock oil pan pickup?

Crossram intake mods?

Yes we do have to run stock oil pan and it still has a stock pickup in it. Mike used chevy rods ends so clearance was a lot less of an issue.

Jon Kasse Racing worked on the intake manifold (Picked up 82 HP).

Pretty much nothing went untouched.

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/18/14 04:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dave, I don't understand the "common sense" comment? I believe we are on the same page. That is, a stock block has its limits. You can only push it so far, then you risk breaking it, and the risk goes up with the stress you put on it like anything else. If a guys budget doesn't have the funds for an aftermarket block, then the build better take the risks into consideration, or the builder better understand the risks.
Increasing the stroke from 3.75 to 4.5 raises the stress on the parts by 44.5 percent. Raising the rpm from 5500 to 6000 multiplies that 44.5 percent by another 20 percent, for a total of 170 percent of the original stress of the 3.75 stroke. If your parts are 40 percent lighter, the whole deal falls back to a two percent increase in stress when you compare a stock weight 3.75 stroke motor to a 4.5 stroke light weight assembly with the rpm limits I talked about. So I see it as apples to apples due to reduced rpm and light parts IF you run it in the right rpm range, and aren't hurting it with a bad tune or nitrous. Most motors can be pushed about 50 percent higher than they were originally designed for. On an old 440 block I wouldn't go that high.

You're right, we are on the same page. Your comment in bold dovetails with my "common sense" phrase, we just word it differently.
Posted By: cudatom

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/18/14 11:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

DusterDave this was the same think I kept coming back to. I had stupid money in a 400 block. $1500-1800 more would have got me an aluminum block. Had it in the Cuda ready to fire up and I kept coming back to the same conclusion. This thing is not going to last and I could loose all the money I had in the block or worst my Cuda.
So I pulled the engine. I'll swap out the roller for a solid tappet, put on Eddy heads and shift it at 5800-6000 and race sportsman class. The engine will go in my 67 Belvedere wagon. Now to start saving for a better block to put in the Cuda. Some times we are all just knuckle heads. Lol

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/19/14 03:31 AM

So would you guys be able to recommend a block that would hold up but looks some what stock? Stock mounts? Must be iron. Or maybe not if it looks stock enough?

Thanks Ed
Posted By: cudatom

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/19/14 04:42 AM

One of my friends is running a mega block. He has had this for yrs. I'd say at least 8. The second I believe is running a world block but not sure. Both are mid 9's and the cars weigh around 3500. Neither has had any block related issues.

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/19/14 03:33 PM

I apoligize for affending so many people by asking who races a stroker RB in a stock block.....I had no idea so many people would get so upset about racing a stroker motor with a stock block....I was just looking for relavent info on anybody who had run one and who's kit they used and what issues they encountered. I will probably still go my way if money allows. From our end we see no issue with it as it is only 1/8th more stroke in either direction than we run now.

And I will mention this about after market blocks that many on here say are the best thing since sliced bread....There are all kinds of issues with those as well. At least with a factory block, I know it will assemble well if all the parts I purchased are good. Aftermarket block not so much, and then you have to start those uncomfortable discussions with them so you can get it fixed....Like who pays for it, who fixes it, who pays for shipping etc...

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/19/14 04:28 PM

Quote:

I apoligize for affending so many people by asking who races a stroker RB in a stock block.....I had no idea so many people would get so upset about racing a stroker motor with a stock block....I was just looking for relavent info on anybody who had run one and who's kit they used and what issues they encountered. I will probably still go my way if money allows. From our end we see no issue with it as it is only 1/8th more stroke in either direction than we run now.

And I will mention this about after market blocks that many on here say are the best thing since sliced bread....There are all kinds of issues with those as well. At least with a factory block, I know it will assemble well if all the parts I purchased are good. Aftermarket block not so much, and then you have to start those uncomfortable discussions with them so you can get it fixed....Like who pays for it, who fixes it, who pays for shipping etc...

Randy, I wasn't offended. I was just offering my opinion, FWIW.

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/19/14 04:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Same here. Information is all I care about,,,,,,, I think
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/19/14 06:13 PM

Quote:

Although I`m only at 470 cubes, I spin the snot out of my 400 low deck and have been for 13+ years and at my last and 3rd freshen up, Jason Pettis commented on how little cap walk I had even compared to some "better" blocks............I was shocked and I know cap walk is only one concern but it was refreshing to say the least.

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/19/14 06:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Actually I wasn't refering to your post, but there were two other threads started and they weren't real pretty. I run two cars and the race car gets theleft over per say...My street car has a brand new block in it, and I will tell you I was not real happy with the mfgr's response when we had a problem with it, so we fixed it oursevles.

Either way, we have a race program and other than a cam failure and some rockers arms, we have had some very good seasons with our 512.....I figured for a spare, we would build it the same, and go for the bigger one....Seems to work.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Who's running a 543 Wedge in a Stock Block? - 09/19/14 08:19 PM

I wouldn't say you offended anybody. Just several think big HP in a stock block is a bad idea, or a hope and pray situation at best (me included) and were offering up those opinions. Others look at these threads for guidance as well, so the information would also be for people other than you. Like has already been said, if YOU are comfortable with what you are doing and willing to take the risks, that's fine. It's your money, your time, your car. Others were only offering opinions based on their own experiences. I know myself, I have seen cracked main webs in numerous stock RB and B blocks. Some with LOTS of cap chatter marks, and some with none, so don't limit your inspection to cap mating surfaces only

Monte
© 2024 Moparts Forums