Moparts

Dominator 1050 Holley, to rich at idle......

Posted By: 70Challengerse

Dominator 1050 Holley, to rich at idle...... - 09/03/14 04:52 AM

360 stroked 408 runs high 9's low 10's, I know I am asking alot but slowing it down alittle for street , wanna drive it... but its rich as hell on idle .. eye watering rich...I want to lean it out,just on idle if poss. eng is set to run, timing is at 32 full adv. 13.5 compression , full roller set up..w-5 heads... been playing with the idle bleeds, no luck , any suggestions.....
sorry for the double post, should of put it here first....
Posted By: RBSat66

Re: Dominator 1050 Holley, to rich at idle...... - 09/03/14 04:57 AM

I had the same problem with my 440, and drilled 1/8 inch holes in the throttle plates and it cleaned up the idle nicely. If you don't want to drill you plates, you came buy plates predrilled. just be careful you don't drill to big a hole. start small and adjust from there.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Dominator 1050 Holley, to rich at idle...... - 09/03/14 05:13 AM

Can you turn the mixture screws in and get the engine
to stall(one at a time)
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Dominator 1050 Holley, to rich at idle...... - 09/03/14 05:46 AM

You will probally need to reduce the idle and part throttle fuel feed passages What list number is it ,if it is a stock type Holley 1050 Dominator carb? I've had to learn how to do that on my old pump gas street Duster with many different list # dominators on it, them rascals be race carbs, not street carbs I ended up buying #6 brass set screws and then drilling and tapping those passages in the main carb. body and then reducing the I.D. on those pasages by around 50% by drillng the set screws. Take your time and make sure what each passage is Good luck, that motor with race gas may be a little harder to get right on the first try, don't give up
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Dominator 1050 Holley, to rich at idle...... - 09/03/14 09:10 AM

you running a power valve in the primary side? if so then what size is it and what is your vacuume hot idleing in gear. those dommys can be tricky but with a little work you can get it to idle clean all day long.

Re: Dominator 1050 Holley, to rich at idle...... - 09/03/14 02:41 PM

P-body -yes they stall the engine one at a time
Dartman- no power valve
idle bleed is aprox .047
Cab ..pm me your # again (the amish love their pulley set up)lol.

Re: Dominator 1050 Holley, to rich at idle...... - 09/03/14 02:44 PM

another note... I,m only a basic guy when it comes to carbs, so you have to talk down to me...lol

Re: Dominator 1050 Holley, to rich at idle...... - 09/03/14 02:54 PM

Quote:

Dartman- no power valve
idle bleed is aprox .047

The reason I asked that question was to see if your
even on the idle circuit.. how far out are the mixture
screws.. I usually can set them at 1/8 to a 1/4 turn
out from the point where they start to stall the
engine(the RPM drop point)

Re: Dominator 1050 Holley, to rich at idle...... - 09/03/14 03:50 PM

I did try putting a larger idle bleed in.. made it worse..even after adjusting it.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Dominator 1050 Holley, to rich at idle...... - 09/03/14 05:19 PM

Quote:

I did try putting a larger idle bleed in.. made it worse..even after adjusting it.

Lean can burn your eyes as well................I ASSume you don`t have a wideband but how do the plugs look?

Re: Dominator 1050 Holley, to rich at idle...... - 09/03/14 05:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Lean can burn your eyes as well................I ASSume you don`t have a wideband but how do the plugs look?

one way to tell is with your idle air screws, if you need to turn them out to gain a better idle then the bleed is too large making it lean and by screwing the idle air screws out will richen the circut, just the opposite if they are too small.

Re: Dominator 1050 Holley, to rich at idle...... - 09/03/14 05:56 PM

No wide band, actually is puffing smoke...bluish in color, not oil ....rich fuel plugs are slighty coated black..
Posted By: TheOtherDodge

Re: Dominator 1050 Holley, to rich at idle...... - 09/03/14 06:22 PM

Years ago, when I ran a carb on my 1050, I had the same experience. To solve it, I had to drill and fit the idle feeds to restrict them.

Re: Dominator 1050 Holley, to rich at idle...... - 09/03/14 06:40 PM

what is the largest bleed you have gone to, mine has #55 bleeds in the idle circuit, mine idles clean and the idle screws are out a little over 1.5 turns,, next question is.. does it take forever to warm up? when mine was origionally put on it seemed like hours to get to 170* which meant it was pig rich at idle.

Re: Dominator 1050 Holley, to rich at idle...... - 09/03/14 06:52 PM

Went as far as .065 still rich, warms right up. Warmer the engine richer the engine, 1.5 turns out.. run like a raped ape just rich idle, what does the intermediate bleed do.

Re: Dominator 1050 Holley, to rich at idle...... - 09/03/14 07:05 PM

Quote:

Went as far as .065 still rich, warms right up. Warmer the engine richer the engine, 1.5 turns out.. run like a raped ape just rich idle, what does the intermediate bleed do.

I run a 8082 2 circuit so I cannot tell you what effect those will have, you may have to do like theotherdodge said and restrict the ifr's, you may try and get ahold of AJ Casini here on the board as he did my dommy, I have also done some reading on the Horsepower Innovations web site, they seem to explain it pretty well,,just google it or google E-85 carb tuning.

Re: Dominator 1050 Holley, to rich at idle...... - 09/03/14 07:37 PM

Quote:

No wide band, actually is puffing smoke...bluish in color, not oil ....rich fuel plugs are slighty coated black..

Blue is generally oil not fuel and it`s possible you compromised ring seal by running a 3-circut w/out a p/v..............
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Dominator 1050 Holley, to rich at idle...... - 09/03/14 07:44 PM

If you're going to street drive it then you should put a power valve in it and reduce the jet size. That will help clean things up a bit.

I don't understand the idle issue though. If you can stall the engine by screwing the idle mixture jets in then you have enough adjustability.

Where is the throttle blade set in relationship to the transfer slot? There should only be a small portion of the transfer slot showing under the throttle blade. Start with that and go from there.

You should not need to change the air bleeds at all.

Re: Dominator 1050 Holley, to rich at idle...... - 09/03/14 07:49 PM

Quote:

Dartman- no power valve
idle bleed is aprox .047

Three things; convert to a two circuit, install a primary p/v and get a wideband.............

Re: Dominator 1050 Holley, to rich at idle...... - 09/03/14 08:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Blue is generally oil not fuel..............

I know this, but it is fuel not oil, I don' understand it either.

Re: Dominator 1050 Holley, to rich at idle...... - 09/03/14 08:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Blue is generally oil not fuel..............

I know this, but it is fuel not oil, I don' understand it either.

Blue is NOT fuel period..............

Re: Dominator 1050 Holley, to rich at idle...... - 09/03/14 08:26 PM

There is another thing to check... since your not
running a PV make SURE the gaskets on the plugs are
seated right on the plates.. with a small drip on
either can drive it fat(rich) and it might still be
able to have enough control on the mixture screws...
also a high float level will cause a rich setting

Re: Dominator 1050 Holley, to rich at idle...... - 09/03/14 09:14 PM

Here`s a simple idle test; start the car cold and either have someone inside bring it up to about 2000 rpm`s or do it yourself and put one finger over an idle bleed and it should slightly rise or stay the same. If it falls or wants to die it`s rich if it raises it`s lean.
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Dominator 1050 Holley, to rich at idle...... - 09/03/14 09:34 PM

Try a 2-circuit carb. An 8896 is more suited to help get the engine up on the converter. They weren't intended for a low throttle angle. On my drag car, an 8082 solved all my 8896 problems.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Dominator 1050 Holley, to rich at idle...... - 09/03/14 09:40 PM

A 3 circuit will idle just fine as long as the throttle blades aren't open too far.

Off idle is the big problem area for 3 circuit carbs. I usually have to lean them out by 50% on the intermediate circuit.

A wide band is highly recommended when trying to dial in a 3 circuit Dominator on a street car. I wouldn't even try to do it anyother way these days. You'll spend more money on plugs and gas than what a wide band would cost. I've seen a few engines ruined by carbs that are too rich and that is a big time expense.

Re: Dominator 1050 Holley, to rich at idle...... - 09/03/14 09:58 PM

Quote:

A 3 circuit will idle just fine as long as the throttle blades aren't open too far.

Off idle is the big problem area for 3 circuit carbs. I usually have to lean them out by 50% on the intermediate circuit.

A wide band is highly recommended when trying to dial in a 3 circuit Dominator on a street car. I wouldn't even try to do it anyother way these days. You'll spend more money on plugs and gas than what a wide band would cost. I've seen a few engines ruined by carbs that are too rich and that is a big time expense.

Yes the 3 circuit carb(as in the 8896) is harder to
tune but with a wide band O2 it is very doable..
you have to have the O2 to get the cruise right..
I found the same as Andy the the mid is SUPER rich
and the mid bleeds help big time... one thing you
have to remember is that each circuit adds on to the
total... as in.. the idle adds to the mid, mid adds
to the wot... no circuit turns off to start another
© 2024 Moparts Forums