Moparts

MSD...Crank Trigger.. Part Number.?? 8636..????

Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

MSD...Crank Trigger.. Part Number.?? 8636..???? - 09/02/14 09:27 AM

Switching to Crank Trigger and not sure what I should use.. Big Block--B1

I have a Fisher Balancer, but it has a Chevy bolt pattern..

Also use the DMI bracket from Doty.. Same as BigCubes..

I have the pick up, but it's a Crane.. Don't know if it will work with MSD..

Does the DMI bracket replace the MSD bracket..

Chris..

Attached picture 8258620-Acccusump.jpg
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: MSD...Crank Trigger.. Part Number.?? 8636..???? - 09/02/14 12:01 PM

Yes, the DMI bracket will replace the MSD one. There are 2 pick-ups available though MSD, one is 3/4" and the other is 3/8". The smaller one will fit better is you run an alternator. They are different size brackets obviously. You will need a kit for a big block chevy to match your balancer bolt pattern.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: MSD...Crank Trigger.. Part Number.?? 8636..???? - 09/02/14 05:10 PM

You can use the BBC crank trigger and save some $$$..Oh yeah I know where one is collecting dust. Send me a text
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: MSD...Crank Trigger.. Part Number.?? 8636..???? - 09/02/14 07:33 PM

If you already have a bracket and a balancer with a Chevy front.........you don't need a "kit". Chevy pattern wheels should be a dime a dozen and just order a sensor. Also the Crane sensor you have MAY work. Just depends on whether that sensor is magnetic or is for a "flying magnet" wheel. Some older crank triggers had alum wheels, with steel pickups and the sensor itself was magnetic. They were much more troublesome and the reason everyone has gone to flying magnet now.

Monte

Re: MSD...Crank Trigger.. Part Number.?? 8636..???? - 09/03/14 07:53 AM

Thanks guys...

I've got it figured out with some help..

Al to the rescue..

Chris..

Re: MSD...Crank Trigger.. Part Number.?? 8636..???? - 09/03/14 11:59 PM

Monte..

The Crane pickup uses the flying magnet style per Crane tech.

Now.. Do I just use the same distributor, but no internals except cap and rotor..??

Chris..
Posted By: Mopar-Al

Re: MSD...Crank Trigger.. Part Number.?? 8636..???? - 09/04/14 12:16 AM

Quote:

Monte..

Now.. Do I just use the same distributor, but no internals except cap and rotor..??

Chris..

yup

Re: MSD...Crank Trigger.. Part Number.?? 8636..???? - 09/04/14 12:19 AM

I phase the distributor rotor ,for zero of course, then set the magnet on mine around 36 to start.; Yourt distributor is locked, right Chris?
Posted By: jamesc

Re: MSD...Crank Trigger.. Part Number.?? 8636..???? - 09/04/14 12:45 AM

Quote:

Monte..

Chris..

i always leave the distributor trigger intact and use matching connectors on the crank trigger pickup and the distributor pickup. that way if the CT sensor should fail (if it does it will be at the worst time) you can just swap from the CT to the distributor in seconds.

Re: MSD...Crank Trigger.. Part Number.?? 8636..???? - 09/04/14 09:37 AM

Quote:

I phase the distributor rotor ,for zero of course, then set the magnet on mine around 36 to start.; Your distributor is locked, right Chris?

Yes, locked out..

And I still adjust timing through the distributor movement.??

Chris..

Re: MSD...Crank Trigger.. Part Number.?? 8636..???? - 09/04/14 09:41 AM

Quote:

i always leave the distributor trigger intact and use matching connectors on the crank trigger pickup and the distributor pickup. that way if the CT sensor should fail (if it does it will be at the worst time) you can just swap from the CT to the distributor in seconds.

Okay, now I'm really confused..

How would you time the motor through two different pick up points.??

Chris..
Posted By: tubtar

Re: MSD...Crank Trigger.. Part Number.?? 8636..???? - 09/04/14 11:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I phase the distributor rotor ,for zero of course, then set the magnet on mine around 36 to start.; Your distributor is locked, right Chris?

Yes, locked out..

And I still adjust timing through the distributor movement.??

Chris..

A lesson I learned last week.
Timing can only be changed by where the signal is picked up.....you have to move the magnetic pick up around the crank trigger wheel.
The distributor is only , no pun intended , distributing the spark.
But the signal , as far as when to fire , happens at the crank trigger.
If you kept the guts in the distributor as a back up , after you switched away from the crank trigger , then timing would be set in the " normal " way.

Re: MSD...Crank Trigger.. Part Number.?? 8636..???? - 09/04/14 04:03 PM

Chris..........since you run your car N/A and I am assuming the timing somewhere around 32 degrees, to phase the rotor simply roll the motor by hand until the timing pointer is resting at 32 degrees. Now pop the cap off the dist, turn the body until the rotor tip is pointing at number 1 terminal. That's it, lock it down. Rotor phased and ready to go. All timing adjustments will be made on the crank and you won't have to move the dist again.

Monte
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: MSD...Crank Trigger.. Part Number.?? 8636..???? - 09/04/14 04:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Okay, now I'm really confused..

How would you time the motor through two different pick up points.??

Chris..

Chris.. what he is saying is the CT and the dist
plug is the same type of hook up.. if you run the
CT you would have the wires hooked up to the CT..
BUT if the CT sensor failed you could just unplug
the CT sensor wires and plug them onto the dist and
be back up and running... if you are using the CT
there isnt anything plugged into the dist except the
plug wires and the coil wire

Re: MSD...Crank Trigger.. Part Number.?? 8636..???? - 09/04/14 10:19 PM

Quote:

Chris..........since you run your car N/A and I am assuming the timing somewhere around 32 degrees, to phase the rotor simply roll the motor by hand until the timing pointer is resting at 32 degrees. Now pop the cap off the dist, turn the body until the rotor tip is pointing at number 1 terminal. That's it, lock it down. Rotor phased and ready to go. All timing adjustments will be made on the crank and you won't have to move the dist again.

Monte

That is how I do it also....doing it now on my 572 B1

Re: MSD...Crank Trigger.. Part Number.?? 8636..???? - 09/05/14 09:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Well, since I have a Crane DEC9500 engine controller, can I set the timing @ 38* and then retard it to what I need through the controller..

Chris..

Attached picture 8261700-IMG_3824(Large).jpg
Posted By: tubtar

Re: MSD...Crank Trigger.. Part Number.?? 8636..???? - 09/05/14 12:06 PM

That's how I did it with the MSD 6 AL programmable.
Pull out 23 degrees to start and even threw a curve at it so it is all in by 2200.
I set the crank to 34 degrees before , checked it and only missed by two degrees.
Not bad for a guy who tunes with a stone hammer.

Re: MSD...Crank Trigger.. Part Number.?? 8636..???? - 09/06/14 03:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Well, since I have a Crane DEC9500 engine controller, can I set the timing @ 38* and then retard it to what I need through the controller..

Chris..

No idea............not familiar with any Crane ignition products or what they can do

Monte
© 2024 Moparts Forums