Moparts

b1 t&d question

Posted By: psycomopar

b1 t&d question - 08/30/14 03:22 AM

I broke a rocker on my b1 heads they were t&d rockers. I just got a used set since it would be 4 weeks minimum to get new ones. I received the rockers and they had been clearanced. Was wondering if anyone has had luck using them like this. Here is a pic of the ones I got and the one I broke. What are opinions? If these are going to possibly break I would rather call it a season and order new ones. I broke a lifter when that rocker broke. Don't want that to happen again

And pic of what one that hasn't been clearanced looks like. There isn't much metal there
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: b1 t&d question - 08/30/14 03:36 AM

The small short shaft TD set up is much stronger
over the single shaft

Re: b1 t&d question - 08/30/14 03:39 AM

If I end up not using these and ordering new that's what I am going to get.
Posted By: moparx

Re: b1 t&d question - 08/30/14 01:47 PM

when something like that is clearanced, i don't like the multiple stepps left, nor the very sharp radius left on the bottom of the step. these imperfections if you will, cause stress rizers, and will ultimately lead to results you will not be happy with. i would much rather see a ballnose endmill used and the retainer side of the clearance gently smoothed outward. the problem is finding a ballnose endmill of the right size. or a standard endmill with a custom [generous] radius grind. just my opinion.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: b1 t&d question - 08/30/14 01:55 PM

Quote:

when something like that is clearanced, i don't like the multiple stepps left, nor the very sharp radius left on the bottom of the step. these imperfections if you will, cause stress rizers, and will ultimately lead to results you will not be happy with. i would much rather see a ballnose endmill used and the retainer side of the clearance gently smoothed outward. the problem is finding a ballnose endmill of the right size. or a standard endmill with a custom [generous] radius grind. just my opinion.

When I was clearing that area I had to get a mill
bit made up.. mine is 1.57 dia with a radius on the
bottom... its not a cheap tool bit
Posted By: moparx

Re: b1 t&d question - 08/30/14 02:06 PM

"not cheep" is right mr.p... but a hard running engine ain't either ! just call it "cheep" insurance.........
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: b1 t&d question - 08/30/14 03:24 PM

Quote:

If I end up not using these and ordering new that's what I am going to get.

I ran those rockers on my B1 and they were clearanced just like our are. They worked fine and I never broke one. That said, I would not run a spring with more pressure than 800 open pressure, and if you don't have a cam that operates in the 8000 rpm zone, you shouldn't need anymore spring than that. I would look at Manley's part number 221425. JMO

Re: b1 t&d question - 09/01/14 03:52 AM

I'm pretty sure I have some where around #800. Can is a touch over 800 lift 330ish duration. But it is 605 so it's made most hp at 6600. So dosent rev real high.
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: b1 t&d question - 09/01/14 04:11 AM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure I have some where around #800. Can is a touch over 800 lift 330ish duration. But it is 605 so it's made most hp at 6600. So dosent rev real high.

If it peaks HP at 6600, I wouldn't turn it over 7200. I would run those rockers if that's what I had, and did.
Posted By: poppaj

Re: b1 t&d question - 09/01/14 06:35 AM

330 duration??

Re: b1 t&d question - 09/01/14 03:18 PM

Couldn't remember the exact numbers. Looked at my card it's 281/296 at.050
© 2024 Moparts Forums