Moparts

Water pump no pumpy.. ;(

Posted By: Eric

Water pump no pumpy.. ;( - 08/28/14 04:21 AM

Can't seem to get the water to circulate in the motor since I put it back in. It now has a hardblock fill to the bottom of the water pump holes. I tried jacking the front end up and pulling the last header bolt on the passenger side that goes to water and nothing. Anyone have any other tricks? I remember when had the 440 with a tall fill in it I had similar issues.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Water pump no pumpy.. ;( - 08/28/14 04:36 AM

Quote:

Can't seem to get the water to circulate in the motor since I put it back in. It now has a hardblock fill to the bottom of the water pump holes. I tried jacking the front end up and pulling the last header bolt on the passenger side that goes to water and nothing. Anyone have any other tricks? I remember when had the 440 with a tall fill in it I had similar issues.

Start warming up the engine.. I have the same issue
with SBs... cycle the pump on and off.. it should
start pumping when it gets warm... also squeeze the
lower hose a few times
Posted By: SB412DUSTER

Re: Water pump no pumpy.. ;( - 08/28/14 07:26 AM

I changed my radiator one time and could not get it to prime for the longest time, I tried everything I could think of. My wife walked out and said try jacking the rear of the car up a little,

Knowing it would not help I stuck the jack under it and jacked it up and then turned the pump on and it picked up prime. I was almost mad
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Water pump no pumpy.. ;( - 08/28/14 11:49 AM

I started using this tool years ago and no more priming or air pocket problems......

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002SRH5G?pc_redir=1409138192&robot_redir=1
Posted By: cudadon

Re: Water pump no pumpy.. ;( - 08/29/14 03:51 PM

Eric I just did my trick yesterday.

Put your hand over the opening on the radiator, put your compressed air blower under your hand and put a little pressure with pump on.

If your rad. has an overflow tube in the neck, cover opening with hand and blow in the overflow tube.

Works every time!
Don

Attached picture 8254845-race4-27-14.jpg
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Water pump no pumpy.. ;( - 08/29/14 04:05 PM

Eric what block do you have ?
Posted By: TheOtherDodge

Re: Water pump no pumpy.. ;( - 08/29/14 04:22 PM

Quote:

Eric I just did my trick yesterday.

Put your hand over the opening on the radiator, put your compressed air blower under your hand and put a little pressure with pump on.

If your rad. has an overflow tube in the neck, cover opening with hand and blow in the overflow tube.

Works every time!
Don

Or, use a water hose... I did that to prime the Air to Water Intercooler I just installed on the 2000 Dak!
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Water pump no pumpy.. ;( - 08/29/14 05:33 PM

You should have paid attention to what I told you."The Shadows Knows"

Re: Water pump no pumpy.. ;( - 08/29/14 10:09 PM

Quote:

You should have paid attention to what I told you."The Shadows Knows"

..... While most of you know BGR is my usual go to guy. He had his race and many other things on his plate when the block sprung a leak. So drove it up to my old engine guy up in NY. Well he is more of a Chevy guy so he sleeved the block and unfortunately put a tall fill in it. Thus the water circulation issue. Motor is out and he is getting a different block for me which he will machine and assemble the motor with. Just to let you guys know my only cost will be the block....all machine work and assembly he said he will take care of. This also came with an apology for me missing the 10k's at Norwalk. I feel especially bad since he did the work for me so quickly in the first place. Needless to say feel confident in the fact that I have two stand up engine builders to work with...
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Water pump no pumpy.. ;( - 08/29/14 10:33 PM

Eric...Low deck or R/B? Changing anything else?

Re: Water pump no pumpy.. ;( - 08/29/14 10:46 PM

Lowdeck...and nothing else till I go aluminum block and get some weight off this porker..
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Water pump no pumpy.. ;( - 08/29/14 10:48 PM

I tried to tell you guys that concrete is for swimming pools.

Re: Water pump no pumpy.. ;( - 08/29/14 10:58 PM

Porker??? My junk is 3600# plus with the driver!! What does the arrow weigh?

Re: Water pump no pumpy.. ;( - 08/29/14 10:59 PM

2100#...

Re: Water pump no pumpy.. ;( - 08/29/14 11:03 PM

2100#???? Damn!! My modor would put that thing into the high 7.xx range!
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Water pump no pumpy.. ;( - 08/31/14 06:19 PM

you need to be careful doing a tall fill, it can block off flow at the head bolt bosses
© 2024 Moparts Forums