Moparts

Attn Steff

Posted By: Monte_Smith

Attn Steff - 07/30/14 07:52 AM

To answer your question, since the other thread was locked.........The GTX has an appointment in the chassis shop in the next couple months to get a few things done and make a roller out of it. 98% of the chassis is finished, only lacking some finish welding and finishing the front suspension. At the time of the last chassis work, it was being done for Outlaw 10.5 and the front suspension rules were much tighter then. Since rules have changed, plus I have no desire to really "class" race, the front suspension is being changed. Still has stock rails, firewall and a-arms, but will be greatly simplified. The tin is done, but may change that to carbon. Also going to do some more cutting on the body, as the goal now is "light as possible". All the factory door jambs and roof bracing will get the axe now. It will strictly be a GTX "skin". I had made the steel front nose a one piece liftoff, but that is being shelved for a glass nose as well as glass doors.

The Mark Williams 9" setup will remain of course and the trans will be a 2-speed Turbo 400 with a 1.48 low gear. Engine?...........well............we have an idea of what we plan to put in it to start, but I ain't mentioning that here.

We do have a specific purpose for the car in mind and it needs to be light. Hope to get it under 2600 race ready with me loaded up.

Hopefully it will be making some hits in the spring.

Monte
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Attn Steff - 07/30/14 07:57 AM

Monte looking to get on the list

Seriously glad to hear you plan to get her back out there again.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Attn Steff - 07/30/14 12:53 PM

Can't wait to see it out!!
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: Attn Steff - 07/30/14 01:09 PM

I have a feeling this will be a game changer for the way people do fast mopars. Can'twait to ssee the finished product.... or even the current state
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Attn Steff - 07/30/14 01:40 PM

Good luck with the build Monte. The other thread was too far gone to clean up. Sorry. I am looking forward to your results.
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Attn Steff - 07/30/14 01:50 PM

Thanks for all the quality info you post Monte
Posted By: Big Squeeze

Re: Attn Steff - 07/30/14 02:30 PM

Quote:

Thanks for all the quality info you post Monte

X2....

What size tire are you putting on it?
Posted By: TrxR

Re: Attn Steff - 07/30/14 02:33 PM

Good luck Monte : I hope you stay with a Mopar motor but either way I know it will be a mean car.
Posted By: deaks

Re: Attn Steff - 07/30/14 03:10 PM

Out of interest Monte, could you tell us more about the 451 that was in it and do you still have it. ?
Mick
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Attn Steff - 07/30/14 03:48 PM

Quote:

Out of interest Monte, could you tell us more about the 451 that was in it and do you still have it. ?
Mick

Think he said it was a 446
Posted By: fbs63

Re: Attn Steff - 07/30/14 03:54 PM

I vote for a BAE Hemi with twin 88s
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Attn Steff - 07/30/14 03:56 PM

...still waiting for the "where is it now/barn find" photo.
Posted By: mshred

Re: Attn Steff - 07/30/14 04:22 PM

Can't wait to see the final product! I remember Monte mentioning a little while back on fastmopar.com about getting it back out

Re: Attn Steff - 07/30/14 04:29 PM

Whatever the situation calls for is what tire will be used. The chassis will hold a big tire, so I can put anything from a 29.5 on it to a 17x33.

No BAE and twins here.......just NOT a turbo guy

Monte
Posted By: Airwoofer

Re: Attn Steff - 07/30/14 04:59 PM

Where you getting the chassis worked on? I want to see what it would take to get a sway bar in mine short of carrying it to Mooresville.

Edit: That would be Mooresville, NC where Todd Bevis, who built my Demon, works. He is also having chassis seminars. The next one is Aug 8th in Philly.

http://chassisdynamics.net/?page_id=53

I want to see one of these get done here in the southeast. Anyone else interested?

Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Attn Steff - 07/30/14 05:21 PM

This is great news Monte and had that issue w/you on the cover years ago thinking DAMN that`s one bad MOPAR. Good luck............
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Attn Steff - 07/30/14 05:23 PM

Monte moving up the list = awesome
Posted By: johnnycuda

Re: Attn Steff - 07/30/14 05:51 PM

I can see it now, Monte looking up into his rearview mirror to see a certain Sonoma truck!

Re: Attn Steff - 07/30/14 06:15 PM

Quote:

I vote for a BAE Hemi with twin 88s

Lol Telling a professional nitrous tuner to put turbos on his car. Priceless!
Posted By: STEFF

Re: Attn Steff - 07/30/14 06:19 PM

Thanx Monte for the update. What ever became of the B1TS motor? Will that play any part in the new mill?

Re: Attn Steff - 07/30/14 06:25 PM

Quote:

Thanx Monte for the update. What ever became of the B1TS motor? Will that play any part in the new mill?

Last I heard Streetking had the b1ts heads on his car. But I saw that motor for sale last year.
Posted By: Whompin_Wedge

Re: Attn Steff - 07/30/14 07:26 PM

those were early PSO heads on streetkings car

Casey

Re: Attn Steff - 07/30/14 08:04 PM

Quote:

Casey

No on TS and no again on the PSO. Unfortunately the B1-TS headed motor will NOT be in the car when it first comes out. I still have those heads, they are at Buck Racing right now getting some work. The original TS short block was a small cube, very low deck deal, so lots has to be done to that block to make it useable for what I need now and will need an entire rotating assy as well. Plans STILL call for completing that motor and having it in the car, just not right now.

The heads on Street Kings motor were NOT TS or PSO heads. They are B-1 MC heads that once resided on MY 446" motor. I sold those heads to an individual to put on his motor and then Street King bought that motor. They had a LOT of work done to them and the floors were raised quite a bit, but again, they were NOT PSO castings. I looked at the motor last year with thoughts of buying it, but just couldn't pull the trigger on it at the time, so I know the heads were indeed my old heads.

We have a new 600" fuel injected motor with 4 stages of nitrous sitting in the floor and ready to go, that makes just shy of 1200hp in nitrous motor trim. So it may not be what "purists" want to see in the car.......but you use what you have and is proven to be fast.

Now before the complaining starts........anybody who knows where a 600" Mopar wedge is, that will make 1200hp in nitrous ready trim and swallow about 1000hp worth of nitrous and stay in one piece........feel free to point me in the direction of that motor and I will also supply you with my paypal for you to deposit the 40-50k it will require to obtain said "bigfoot" motor. I call that motor "bigfoot" because many claim it exists, yet nobody has seen it or seem to know where it is..........LOL!!!

Monte

Re: Attn Steff - 07/30/14 08:06 PM

Quote:

Where you getting the chassis worked on? I want to see what it would take to get a sway bar in mine short of carrying it to Mooresville.

Edit: That would be Mooresville, NC where Todd Bevis, who built my Demon, works. He is also having chassis seminars. The next one is Aug 8th in Philly.

http://chassisdynamics.net/?page_id=53

I want to see one of these get done here in the southeast. Anyone else interested?

Chris Terry will be doing the work. Same guy who built Chad's Buick...........Now I built the entire chassis in the GTX myself, when myself and a friend had a chassis shop. But I got out of the chassis business and am not set up to do that type work now, plus, I also just don't want to. Got burned out on chassis work. So will let Chris do it.

Monte
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Attn Steff - 07/30/14 08:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Casey

No on TS and no again on the PSO. Unfortunately the B1-TS headed motor will NOT be in the car when it first comes out. I still have those heads, they are at Buck Racing right now getting some work. The original TS short block was a small cube, very low deck deal, so lots has to be done to that block to make it useable for what I need now and will need an entire rotating assy as well. Plans STILL call for completing that motor and having it in the car, just not right now.

The heads on Street Kings motor were NOT TS or PSO heads. They are B-1 MC heads that once resided on MY 446" motor. I sold those heads to an individual to put on his motor and then Street King bought that motor. They had a LOT of work done to them and the floors were raised quite a bit, but again, they were NOT PSO castings. I looked at the motor last year with thoughts of buying it, but just couldn't pull the trigger on it at the time, so I know the heads were indeed my old heads.

We have a new 600" fuel injected motor with 4 stages of nitrous sitting in the floor and ready to go, that makes just shy of 1200hp in nitrous motor trim. So it may not be what "purists" want to see in the car.......but you use what you have and is proven to be fast.

Now before the complaining starts........anybody who knows where a 600" Mopar wedge is, that will make 1200hp in nitrous ready trim and swallow about 1000hp worth of nitrous and stay in one piece........feel free to point me in the direction of that motor and I will also supply you with my paypal for you to deposit the 40-50k it will require to obtain said "bigfoot" motor. I call that motor "bigfoot" because many claim it exists, yet nobody has seen it or seem to know where it is..........LOL!!!

Monte

Monte,just because in Racing you have to sometimes stray from the Mopar engine,that does not mean you are no longer a Mopar man!
Its called do what ever it takes to win,and I think everyone understands that.

PS I can't wait to see you get your car running...well to be more Honest I can't wait to see you strap on all of that Safety gear and climb in that Hot car when the Temp.is hoving around 98-100 degrees and the heat index 115+ and lets not forget about the 140+ degree track temp.. Don't ask me why,but for some reason at least down here in the South its just Hotter.You do still remember who give me a Hard time about my Safety gear don't you?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Attn Steff - 07/30/14 09:03 PM

Quote:

I have a feeling this will be a game changer for the way people do fast mopars. Can'twait to ssee the finished product.... or even the current state

Looks like your "feeling" was wrong....unfortunately
Posted By: Whompin_Wedge

Re: Attn Steff - 07/30/14 09:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Casey

Monte

Monte,just because in Racing you have to sometimes stray from the Mopar engine,that does not mean you are no longer a Mopar man!
Its called do what ever it takes to win,and I think everyone understands that.

PS I can't wait to see you get your car running...well to be more Honest I can't wait to see you strap on all of that Safety gear and climb in that Hot car when the Temp.is hoving around 98-100 degrees and the heat index 115+ and lets not forget about the 140+ degree track temp.. Don't ask me why,but for some reason at least down here in the South its just Hotter.You do still remember who give me a Hard time about my Safety gear don't you?

Well I stand corrected

Either way I cant wait until you get that thing running.

,Casey
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Attn Steff - 07/30/14 10:20 PM

I hope you can get it out this winter Monte.. curious
to what it runs.. best of luck with it
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Attn Steff - 07/30/14 10:46 PM

Monte, why does it have to a wedge?
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: Attn Steff - 07/30/14 11:32 PM

Monte.....good luck, all I can say when I read your posts on here.....you are a glutton for punishment....LMAO !

Re: Attn Steff - 07/31/14 12:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Not really. I was thinking more along the lines of chassis work. I don't care what powers it, I leave that to guys like you
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Attn Steff - 07/31/14 12:33 AM

It will be interesting to see how it works out for you. Good luck with it.
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: Attn Steff - 07/31/14 12:34 AM

Perhaps I'm wrong but, other than the 700+ CI stuff making 1200 in NOS trim, I don't think it's possible. I know lot's of people like to tout HP numbers like that, but when the rubber meets the road, it doesn't pan out with something that is able to take 500 HP of NOS, much less a 1000 HP. Good luck with your quest! These are the posts that are interesting to me.
Posted By: GY3

Re: Attn Steff - 07/31/14 12:35 AM

Cummins?
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: Attn Steff - 07/31/14 12:40 AM

Quote:

Cummins?

It might take the 1000HP NOS, but it would never make that much N/A HP or anything close.
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: Attn Steff - 07/31/14 01:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Cummins?

It might take the 1000HP NOS, but it would never make that much N/A HP or anything close.

It would never weigh 2600 lbs race ready with a Cummins

Glad to see it come out of hibernation! Good luck with it
Posted By: D-50

Re: Attn Steff - 07/31/14 01:23 AM

I will be glad to see it out again. I saw it running at Lassiter Mountain Dragway back in the mid 90's running in the heads up street car class. I think it ran some 5.60's.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Attn Steff - 07/31/14 01:27 AM

Quote:

Perhaps I'm wrong but, other than the 700+ CI stuff making 1200 in NOS trim, I don't think it's possible. I know lot's of people like to tout HP numbers like that, but when the rubber meets the road, it doesn't pan out with something that is able to take 500 HP of NOS, much less a 1000 HP. Good luck with your quest! These are the posts that are interesting to me.

While I appreciate what Monte has done and all the knowledge he shares if it all boils down to you can't do that with a Mopar there is a reason for that. It's because no one wants to put forth the effort, time or money to do it. With the plethoria of BBC and SBF stuff out there there isn't any reason for the aftermarket to support the Mopar stuff. Blame who you want but it's simple economics.

To each their own and everyone has their goals but either way if I have to have a BBC, a Turbo 400 and a 9" Ford to win races I'll find another way to do it or another field to play in because my pockets aren't that deep and I just don't care to run the same stuff everyone else has.

I'm not knocking you Monte, you have accomplished a lot, with the Mopar stuff as well and showed a lot of us just what it is capable of of. I just wish you or someone would continue to develop that. The reason "Bigfoot" doesn't exist is because once guys like you reach a certain level you see what the Chevy and Ford boys are doing and what they have to work with and you just give up. If you can't beat them, join them.

Best of luck to you, it's your life but I understand how others can get aggravated with the Chevy this, Ford that posts.

Re: Attn Steff - 07/31/14 01:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Not really. I was thinking more along the lines of chassis work. I don't care what powers it, I leave that to guys like you

You really think he is going to have some "game changing" chassis mods that will change "the way people do fast Mopars" ??

Sounds to me like he is using one of the old/spare Chevy engines from that Buick and copying that recipe.

Since he knows what that engine/EFI/Nitrous combo needs/wants/runs I guess it's the cheapest and easiest way to go real fast.

Me personally, I would be more impressed/interested if he got the old combo to run 7.70/4.80 like he thought he could.

I am sure glad that Mopar, the Ramchargers, Landy etc. didn't take the already proven/easiest/cheapest way.

Re: Attn Steff - 07/31/14 01:52 AM

There are maybe thousands if not close to it BBC NOS engines making 1200hp & using a 1,000 hp + NOS. The Pro-Mod cars and now in the Top/Sportsman & Top/Dragster class's.A small Big Chief/Big Duke head 632 cu in BBC make an easy 1200 hp & get sprayed 1,000hp of NOS regular in Grudge Race cars!

Re: Attn Steff - 07/31/14 02:02 AM

You missed it again. Stop being hung up on a Buick nobody is talking about, I am done talking to you, myself and others would like this thread to stay unlocked so please post elsewhere. You're not here to learn or ask questions just bash on what you can't do. Enjoy your vehicles and let the rest enjoy theirs.
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: Attn Steff - 07/31/14 02:03 AM

Here is a .030 over fresh KB Hemi with a Hilborn and twin turbo plenums just waiting for someone to build.

Re: Attn Steff - 07/31/14 03:59 AM

Lets not get this one locked up, please.

Re: Attn Steff - 07/31/14 05:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

While I appreciate what Monte has done and all the knowledge he shares if it all boils down to you can't do that with a Mopar there is a reason for that. It's because no one wants to put forth the effort, time or money to do it. With the plethoria of BBC and SBF stuff out there there isn't any reason for the aftermarket to support the Mopar stuff. Blame who you want but it's simple economics.

To each their own and everyone has their goals but either way if I have to have a BBC, a Turbo 400 and a 9" Ford to win races I'll find another way to do it or another field to play in because my pockets aren't that deep and I just don't care to run the same stuff everyone else has.

I'm not knocking you Monte, you have accomplished a lot, with the Mopar stuff as well and showed a lot of us just what it is capable of of. I just wish you or someone would continue to develop that. The reason "Bigfoot" doesn't exist is because once guys like you reach a certain level you see what the Chevy and Ford boys are doing and what they have to work with and you just give up. If you can't beat them, join them.

Best of luck to you, it's your life but I understand how others can get aggravated with the Chevy this, Ford that posts.

This is where you are wrong. The motor I have sitting in the floor, makes 1180 HP in nitrous trim and has had 1000hp worth of nitrous pumped through it countless times. The point was, direct me to the Mopar wedge that can produce the same numbers......it simply does NOT exist. Also it is not that there are not racers who would run such parts......it is simply that the parts don't exist to do it with. I can't buy something that isn't made. You can't give up on something that never was.

A HEMI is out of the question, because they are NOT a very nitrous friendly combo. Even the Sonny's "Chemi" is not a nitrous friendly combo. For nitrous you need a wedge type head, period, end of story. So moving back to the Mopar side of things, exactly what parts would you suggest to get the job done? The answer again is they don't exist. The BEST, I mean the absolute BEST wedge head you can get for a wedge Mopar is the TS and that is light years behind current other brand technology. Not to mention the fact that to do a TS motor RIGHT, requires a serious outlay of cash, as parts are non existent which means lots of custom stuff. Then we have the bore limits of the Mopar at 4.800 bore space. 4.560 is the MAX and leaves no room between cylinders when punched that big...........Now you CAN get the TS heads in a 4.840 bore space, that's what mine are, but then what block you going to put them on?...........My small cube TS motor I was putting together is a custom Donovan block, that was ordered with the "Wayne County" bolt pattern for the 4.840 TS heads. It was ordered with a blank lifter bore and then sent to LSM for a custom billet cam and to put the lifter bores in the block where they needed to be for proper geometry. No intake on earth for this, so we took a Big Chief Chevy, cut it in 4 pieces and "made" an intake.......So why not put this motor in the car is the obvious question some will ask. The answer is that it is TOO small. At the time I started it, super street rules were weight per cubic inch. I calculated what I thought I could make the car weigh and built the motor to fit. The motor was going to be 421 inches, so the block was custom ordered with a 9.200 deck height. You can't get stroke in that deck height, so basically that motor is useless at this point, other than a neat conversation piece. I am having some deck spacers made for it to bump it to a 10.2 deck, but as stated earlier, that will require an all new rotating assy as well as another custom, one off $1200 cam shaft and another intake..........So you can't say I am "giving up" on the Mopar, but I also ain't made of money and the Chevy is in the floor, fresh, free and ready to go. Now maybe if we make some money with the thing, I can finish the TS motor. But I KNOW at BEST, it will be over 100hp down of the Chevy, because the heads are simply NOT as good and can't be made so within the existing castings.

Somebody else mentioned duplicating the combo that WAS in the car and make it go the 5.0s and 7.80s I said I thought it would go.......Why? To what purpose? Just to say I have the fastest 446" single fogger, B-1 Mopar. Yeah, that claim and 10 cents would get me a stick of gum. For what we want to do, it needs to be FAST and 5.0s ain't fast these days.

Monte

Re: Attn Steff - 07/31/14 05:37 AM

Quote:

Monte.....good luck, all I can say when I read your posts on here.....you are a glutton for punishment....LMAO !

You should know by now........haters don't bother me man.......LOL.........they hatin on me they just giving somebody else a break. They are just faceless words typed on a screen.......don't mean nothing to me..........LOL!!!

I also don't do anything for anyone elses approval. I do things to reach MY goals and what I want to accomplish. If others don't share that view.......that's cool, doesn't bother me

Monte

Re: Attn Steff - 07/31/14 06:20 AM

Could we at least keep this a little more "on point" without all the pissing matches. Maybe just maybe if some can keep their fingers in check folks here might learn something or at least get some insight in to the state of things with concern to Mopars and making big power.

So I ask can we try and keep it civil. I know that is REALLY hard from some folks but at least give it a try for ONE thread!!

I will now get off my soap box..
Posted By: His and Her 69's

Re: Attn Steff - 07/31/14 07:06 AM

A friend had a 588 mopar based engine in NOS trim make 940 hp and it wasn't a maxed out effort. He had the B1MC heads on it and I am sure they were not maxed out either. I don't know some of the engine details but I would think over 1000 hp wouldn't be really hard to do. Nowadays there is the Predator heads and better parts out there then when he did it. He went 8.60 at 160 in a 4000 lb car and probably about 600 hp of NOS slowly brought in. He needed less weight and bigger tires to handle a bigger NOS amount to go faster but this was around 2004 when he did this.

What does Gumpy, Bigtime, or Digby make for hp?? All though bigtime isn't using NOS.
Just wondering, also Good Luck Monty on your car.
David
Posted By: cj391

Re: Attn Steff - 07/31/14 07:36 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woiRbJq-QAw

digby's motor. no sound though
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Attn Steff - 07/31/14 08:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This is where you are wrong. The motor I have sitting in the floor, makes 1180 HP in nitrous trim and has had 1000hp worth of nitrous pumped through it countless times. The point was, direct me to the Mopar wedge that can produce the same numbers......it simply does NOT exist. Also it is not that there are not racers who would run such parts......it is simply that the parts don't exist to do it with. I can't buy something that isn't made. You can't give up on something that never was.

A HEMI is out of the question, because they are NOT a very nitrous friendly combo. Even the Sonny's "Chemi" is not a nitrous friendly combo. For nitrous you need a wedge type head, period, end of story. So moving back to the Mopar side of things, exactly what parts would you suggest to get the job done? The answer again is they don't exist. The BEST, I mean the absolute BEST wedge head you can get for a wedge Mopar is the TS and that is light years behind current other brand technology. Not to mention the fact that to do a TS motor RIGHT, requires a serious outlay of cash, as parts are non existent which means lots of custom stuff. Then we have the bore limits of the Mopar at 4.800 bore space. 4.560 is the MAX and leaves no room between cylinders when punched that big...........Now you CAN get the TS heads in a 4.840 bore space, that's what mine are, but then what block you going to put them on?...........My small cube TS motor I was putting together is a custom Donovan block, that was ordered with the "Wayne County" bolt pattern for the 4.840 TS heads. It was ordered with a blank lifter bore and then sent to LSM for a custom billet cam and to put the lifter bores in the block where they needed to be for proper geometry. No intake on earth for this, so we took a Big Chief Chevy, cut it in 4 pieces and "made" an intake.......So why not put this motor in the car is the obvious question some will ask. The answer is that it is TOO small. At the time I started it, super street rules were weight per cubic inch. I calculated what I thought I could make the car weigh and built the motor to fit. The motor was going to be 421 inches, so the block was custom ordered with a 9.200 deck height. You can't get stroke in that deck height, so basically that motor is useless at this point, other than a neat conversation piece. I am having some deck spacers made for it to bump it to a 10.2 deck, but as stated earlier, that will require an all new rotating assy as well as another custom, one off $1200 cam shaft and another intake..........So you can't say I am "giving up" on the Mopar, but I also ain't made of money and the Chevy is in the floor, fresh, free and ready to go. Now maybe if we make some money with the thing, I can finish the TS motor. But I KNOW at BEST, it will be over 100hp down of the Chevy, because the heads are simply NOT as good and can't be made so within the existing castings.

Somebody else mentioned duplicating the combo that WAS in the car and make it go the 5.0s and 7.80s I said I thought it would go.......Why? To what purpose? Just to say I have the fastest 446" single fogger, B-1 Mopar. Yeah, that claim and 10 cents would get me a stick of gum. For what we want to do, it needs to be FAST and 5.0s ain't fast these days.

Monte

A Gen 3 hemi went over 200 mph

I would rather see you with mopar power.

Re: Attn Steff - 07/31/14 08:18 AM

Digby's engine is for sale.

Re: Attn Steff - 07/31/14 01:14 PM

Quote:

Digby's engine is for sale.

No he changed his mind and is racing his car again with the predator motor in it.

Re: Attn Steff - 07/31/14 01:17 PM

I am curious of Monte's opinion on the predator head also.

Re: Attn Steff - 07/31/14 02:56 PM

Antoher thing I am looking at is the fact that even though the BBC he is going to be using is a Chevy based design I seriously doubt the is a single chevy part on it or in it. How many aftermarket parts does it take before its not a chevy or mopar anymore?

Re: Attn Steff - 07/31/14 03:22 PM

Quote:

Antoher thing I am looking at is the fact that even though the BBC he is going to be using is a Chevy based design I seriously doubt the is a single chevy part on it or in it. How many aftermarket parts does it take before its not a chevy or mopar anymore?

That is just not a valid argument because unless it's a completely new design then it will always be a Chevy, Ford or Mopar engine, regardless of whether there are any factory parts on it or what name is on the valve covers.

Re: Attn Steff - 07/31/14 03:29 PM

Quote:

I will be glad to see it out again. I saw it running at Lassiter Mountain Dragway back in the mid 90's running in the heads up street car class. I think it ran some 5.60's.

They ran KOS at Lassiter back in the day? I would like to see that return to this area for sure! Think I have a ride to do it with. There are enough very fast street cars around here to make a field but they would have to keep the rules simple and inclusive. X275 IMO is way slanted to the ferd rustangs.

Where you gonna get those glass doors Monte? Do they have to be custom made since it seems nobody makes anything for our old stuff anymore. I would love to shed a bunch of useless weight on the doors on both of my Demons.

I would love to have you evaluate what you think the heads on my 499 are but I think Adger Smith knows what he did when he built them. They are going back there for fixing so maybe that will help him remember all the details. He mentioned something about Wayne County the first time I talked with him and I thought that was some location. Turns out I have some kind of goofy lifter angle also that requires the cam lobes to be cut to match. Nice to know before ordering a new cam!

Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Attn Steff - 07/31/14 03:38 PM

Glasstek, makes doors for 68-70 B bodies.
Posted By: cudadon

Re: Attn Steff - 07/31/14 04:17 PM

Monte this is really interesting. Do you have pics of the modified intake? (if you don't mind showing them)

Thanks for the insight into the exotic side of engine building.

Don

Attached picture 8225401-wheelie@Byron2012.jpg
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Attn Steff - 07/31/14 04:33 PM

Quote:

I am curious of Monte's opinion on the predator head also.

I'm curious about the Predator head also. It still doesn't solve the block deal though.

Re: Attn Steff - 07/31/14 04:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You should know by now........haters don't bother me man.......LOL.........they hatin on me they just giving somebody else a break. They are just faceless words typed on a screen.......don't mean nothing to me..........LOL!!!

I also don't do anything for anyone elses approval. I do things to reach MY goals and what I want to accomplish. If others don't share that view.......that's cool, doesn't bother me

Monte

My opinion is I think it is cool that you are keeping the GTX body stlye for a car that will be very fast if you run it in the 1/4 and will surely be giving up a lot in aero drag at the far end. Not as much in the 1/8 but at 150 MPH it is still significant. That thing is no where near "egg shaped" like the modern cars.

BTW, I am not hating cause like I said I like seeing Mopars at the track, for a change. And my Demon is certanly not aerodynamic with that recessed grill.

Re: Attn Steff - 07/31/14 06:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

My opinion is I think it is cool that you are keeping the GTX body stlye for a car that will be very fast if you run it in the 1/4 and will surely be giving up a lot in aero drag at the far end. Not as much in the 1/8 but at 150 MPH it is still significant. That thing is no where near "egg shaped" like the modern cars.

That is the puzzling part....if you are going to every extent to be as fast as possible, why use a 69 Plymouth body skin ?? And trying/expecting to make money at racing ???
Posted By: EchoSixMike

Re: Attn Steff - 07/31/14 06:29 PM

Meh, all depends on the rules. The rules are typically just made to balance things and keep butts in the stands. IOW, it's all bunk and rules lawyering. But that's the way racing is. It's all about the rules, then the engineering begins from there. I think that's weak, but I'm not sponsoring races.

For X cubic inches, a turbo hemi will win in the 1/4, period. Very slightly behind that would be a hemi with a screw; the screw will probably own in the 1/8. The other things are kept competitive by weight breaks and other handicaps; ie rules lawyering. That's just what it is, you want to race, you play by their rules.

Monte is just doing what it takes to win. More power to him. People shouldn't get butt-hurt about the racer, they should get after the rules makers. S/F.....Ken M

Re: Attn Steff - 07/31/14 08:46 PM

Quote:

Meh, all depends on the rules. The rules are typically just made to balance things and keep butts in the stands. IOW, it's all bunk and rules lawyering. But that's the way racing is. It's all about the rules, then the engineering begins from there. I think that's weak, but I'm not sponsoring races.

For X cubic inches, a turbo hemi will win in the 1/4, period. Very slightly behind that would be a hemi with a screw; the screw will probably own in the 1/8. The other things are kept competitive by weight breaks and other handicaps; ie rules lawyering. That's just what it is, you want to race, you play by their rules.

Monte is just doing what it takes to win. More power to him. People shouldn't get butt-hurt about the racer, they should get after the rules makers. S/F.....Ken M

Your talking to a person who doesnt even race let along
know anything about what the rules might say.. he just
likes to stir the pot

Re: Attn Steff - 07/31/14 11:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

That is the puzzling part....if you are going to every extent to be as fast as possible, why use a 69 Plymouth body skin ?? And trying/expecting to make money at racing ???

This is 1/8th mile, no rules racing. The aero loss in the 1/8th is a non factor. Also how light would YOU think a 69 B-body would be. My guess is not very and I will hope that most others feel the same way.......Plus, the number ONE reason I am using the GTX, is because I HAVE the car, it has a 25.2 spec moly chassis under it and is 95% complete. I have every part to make it a complete roller. I don't have a motor, but that problem is solved, so we can be up and racing in a few months, not a year or more from now. Grudge racing is hot right now, so the sooner you get in, the better chance you have.

My thoughts on a Predator motor.........If they made the head in a 4.840 or 5.0 bore space, I would own one. On a 4.800 bore space.......I will pass. The small bore that you are limited to just kills a good head. The greatest head in the world won't breathe if the hole underneath pulling on it is too small.

I can slap some Mopar stickers on the valve covers and tell everyone they are old "Eicke Pro-Stock heads"...........how does everybody feel about that..........LOL!!!

See that is the thing about SOME of the "fickle" Mopar guys. When our Pro-stockers were running the GM type Eicke head on a GM type block, they were all cool with THAT, but those same guys say a Predator is not a real Mopar head because it doesn't LOOK like a Mopar head.

And yes, the motor that will be in the car is GM based, but it does NOT have a single GM part on it. It is an all alum aftermarket race engine, that kinda sorta looks like a Chevy, although no heads even resembling that ever left a GM factory............Just like no parts remotely resembling our(Mopar) current Pro-Stock heads and blocks did either. Oh but wait........the wires go in the covers, that makes it OK..........LOL!!!

And Ray, I would also MUCH RATHER have Mopar power, just don't know where to get what I need. It's easy for these guys to tell me I need a HEMI with twins, or a HEMI with a screw, but they ain't the ones that have to pay for it. And if somebody SHOWS me a Mopar wedge, that inch for inch, will outpower this motor I have and swallow the same amount of spray and LIVE.......I will buy one. Unfortunately on that fact, I know my money is safe.

Monte

Re: Attn Steff - 07/31/14 11:27 PM

Quote:

I can slap some Mopar stickers on the valve covers and tell everyone they are old "Eicke Pro-Stock heads"...........how does everybody feel about that..........LOL!!!

That was a very dark time in the Mopar pro stock world, better it would just be forgotten. You know, let sleeping dogs lie...

Yes it was a very dark time...
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Attn Steff - 07/31/14 11:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That was a very dark time in the Mopar pro stock world, better it would just be forgotten. You know, let sleeping dogs lie...

Yes it was a very dark time...

Monte, you get a pass from me all the way man. I dont get all bent out of shape about that stuff anymore, and when a Shivvy or Dorf guy starts to rib me to hard I just tell them "hey what engine has been ruling every 1/4 mile in every corner of the globe for the last 50 years?" yep thats what I thought. They can paint it pink and write "BOSS" on it all they want, it is what it is....

Attached picture 8225961-snake24.jpg

Re: Attn Steff - 08/01/14 12:25 AM

Quote:

My thoughts on a Predator motor.........If they made the head in a 4.840 or 5.0 bore space, I would own one. On a 4.800 bore space.......I will pass.

....but those same guys say a Predator is not a real Mopar head because it doesn't LOOK like a Mopar head.

Monte

Not trying to start a war, just expressing my opinions.....

It gets beat to death how Mopar guys won't embrace new stuff, YET the same guys that rant about this will NOT even buy the current offerings.......but they still rant about others not buying them....

And in all the threads where it is repeated ad nauseam about all these Mopar guys that bash the Predator over what it LOOKS like...I have Never seen one of those guys post in these threads....yet it gets repeated over and over.....Just because One or Two guys said they didn't like what it LOOKS like a few years ago, it's taken on a life of it's own......

Then the guys who think they are above everyone one else and/or their minions....take that and run with it and start in with mocking all Mopar guys with the purple shaft cam, 906 head cracks....

And the real irony, is that the deciding factor here seems to be having the use of a FREE EFI Nitrous Engine that he has experience tuning....so anything else is out of the question anyway.......it's not as if kb made a 4.84 Block, and Indy whipped up some 4.84 Predators he would be going that route anyway, because they wouldn't be Free....

Re: Attn Steff - 08/01/14 12:48 AM

It sure would be nice to see someone make a larger bore spacing Mopar block.
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: Attn Steff - 08/01/14 12:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

My thoughts on a Predator motor.........If they made the head in a 4.840 or 5.0 bore space, I would own one. On a 4.800 bore space.......I will pass.

....but those same guys say a Predator is not a real Mopar head because it doesn't LOOK like a Mopar head.

Monte

Not trying to start a war, just expressing my opinions.....

It gets beat to death how Mopar guys won't embrace new stuff, YET the same guys that rant about this will NOT even buy the current offerings.......but they still rant about others not buying them....

And in all the threads where it is repeated ad nauseam about all these Mopar guys that bash the Predator over what it LOOKS like...I have Never seen one of those guys post in these threads....yet it gets repeated over and over.....Just because One or Two guys said they didn't like what it LOOKS like a few years ago, it's taken on a life of it's own......

Then the guys who think they are above everyone one else and/or their minions....take that and run with it and start in with mocking all Mopar guys with the purple shaft cam, 906 head cracks....

And the real irony, is that the deciding factor here seems to be having the use of a FREE EFI Nitrous Engine that he has experience tuning....so anything else is out of the question anyway.......it's not as if kb made a 4.84 Block, and Indy whipped up some 4.84 Predators he would be going that route anyway, because they wouldn't be Free....

and what exactly do YOU have to run, besides your mouth/keyboard?

Posted By: LSP

Re: Attn Steff - 08/01/14 12:52 AM

Monte, not sure if it would be good for the power adder deal, but did you ever consider the 5.0" bore space Mopar Pro Stock stuff? Probably find some old IHRA stuff on the cheap, relatively speaking of course.
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Attn Steff - 08/01/14 01:06 AM

All I have to say is: Monte I Love reading your posts and learning...Thank You...

Rickster

Re: Attn Steff - 08/01/14 01:12 AM

Monte.. I can understand what your doing... trying
to get into the game as soon as possible with the best
bang for the buck... good luck

Re: Attn Steff - 08/01/14 01:28 AM

I'm kinda curious why a hemi head doesn't cut it for nitrous motors? I'm assuming we're talking gas for fuel, not methanol/ethanol, right? S/F....Ken M
Posted By: SLOW67

Re: Attn Steff - 08/01/14 01:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You really think he is going to have some "game changing" chassis mods that will change "the way people do fast Mopars" ??

Sounds to me like he is using one of the old/spare Chevy engines from that Buick and copying that recipe.

Since he knows what that engine/EFI/Nitrous combo needs/wants/runs I guess it's the cheapest and easiest way to go real fast.

Me personally, I would be more impressed/interested if he got the old combo to run 7.70/4.80 like he thought he could.

I am sure glad that Mopar, the Ramchargers, Landy etc. didn't take the already proven/easiest/cheapest way.

If your looking to go fast and you can make 2000hp for 20k or 2000hp for 50k which one are you going to choose? At the point a Mopar engine makes that kind of power, very little if any "Mopar" parts or designs are left. Look at predator headed motors for example. My next powerplant will be an LS chevy, why? because I'm not rich and I still want the speed.

Make it FAST Monte! Can't wait to see it finished! Who gives a crap about whats under the hood
Posted By: LA360

Re: Attn Steff - 08/01/14 02:20 AM

I would imagine the chamber shape would have something to do with it
Posted By: charger410

Re: Attn Steff - 08/01/14 02:30 AM

Do Summit Racing sell them?
Posted By: GY3

Re: Attn Steff - 08/01/14 02:41 AM

Neighbor bought a 5.3 LS for $100.00 today.

We pulled it apart and it looked brand new inside.

A Chinese turbo and he should be good for 1000 HP.

My 440 is going in the classifieds...
Posted By: D-50

Re: Attn Steff - 08/01/14 02:47 AM

Quote:

Neighbor bought a 5.3 LS for $100.00 today.

We pulled it apart and it looked brand new inside.

A Chinese turbo and he should be good for 1000 HP.

Them Chevy guys on YB say they do it all the time.They put one in a fox body mustang and run low 8's high 7's with a $2000.00 race car.
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: Attn Steff - 08/01/14 03:06 AM

Quote:

This is 1/8th mile, no rules racing. The aero loss in the 1/8th is a non factor. Also how light would YOU think a 69 B-body would be. My guess is not very and I will hope that most others feel the same way.......Plus, the number ONE reason I am using the GTX, is because I HAVE the car, it has a 25.2 spec moly chassis under it and is 95% complete. I have every part to make it a complete roller. I don't have a motor, but that problem is solved, so we can be up and racing in a few months, not a year or more from now. Grudge racing is hot right now, so the sooner you get in, the better chance you have.

My thoughts on a Predator motor.........If they made the head in a 4.840 or 5.0 bore space, I would own one. On a 4.800 bore space.......I will pass. The small bore that you are limited to just kills a good head. The greatest head in the world won't breathe if the hole underneath pulling on it is too small.

See that is the thing about SOME of the "fickle" Mopar guys. When our Pro-stockers were running the GM type Eicke head on a GM type block, they were all cool with THAT, but those same guys say a Predator is not a real Mopar head because it doesn't LOOK like a Mopar head.

And yes, the motor that will be in the car is GM based, but it does NOT have a single GM part on it. It is an all alum aftermarket race engine, that kinda sorta looks like a Chevy, although no heads even resembling that ever left a GM factory............Just like no parts remotely resembling our(Mopar) current Pro-Stock heads and blocks did either. Oh but wait........the wires go in the covers, that makes it OK..........LOL!!!

And Ray, I would also MUCH RATHER have Mopar power, just don't know where to get what I need. It's easy for these guys to tell me I need a HEMI with twins, or a HEMI with a screw, but they ain't the ones that have to pay for it. And if somebody SHOWS me a Mopar wedge, that inch for inch, will outpower this motor I have and swallow the same amount of spray and LIVE.......I will buy one. Unfortunately on that fact, I know my money is safe.

Monte

Great post Monte, Really one of your best.

I'd like to think most of us have evolved in this journey through life and the sport. I'll readily admit that I was a Mopar Bible thumping, purple cam, Chrome box, super stock spring guy... "Who needs this new fangled MSD crap anyway?"

Then we learn, and adapt.

I was among those that cried fowl when the Predator first came on the scene. "E-I-I-E-E-I-I-E or it's not a real Mopar!"

Then we learn and adapt.

When the racing got so competitive that Pro Stock, Pro Mod, and NASCAR are building "Clean sheet" racing engines, I really stopped caring about who was claiming what in the engine bay. When Radford or Musi, or Harper come to town, and they are sporting 900-1000 cubic inches in a Mopar bodied race car, cool! I have no problem rooting for them.

As I stare down my 50th birthday, with a kid calling me Grandpa, what scares me is becoming that old timer that was still clinging to his flathead fords when I started out. I love BB Wedges, nitrous, and carbs... that's my comfort zone, and the desire for me to go faster than that will take me is waning pretty quickly.

I would implore Monte to get the ole GTX back out there and enjoy it in any way he see's fit. His car, his money, his dreams and desires! Keep us posted buddy, and good luck with it!

Re: Attn Steff - 08/01/14 03:12 AM

Well at least we won't have to line up at Josh's race now.....traitor !

Because I thought my used b1 originals were state of the art ! !

Lmao !
Posted By: andy3965

Re: Attn Steff - 08/05/14 05:07 AM

Don't know how much nitrous he is spraying but Jason Digby's 610ci predator headed motor made 1210hp and 913ft lbs of torque on motor.

Re: Attn Steff - 08/05/14 04:06 PM

LOL, I have 2 big blocks and the only Mopar part between them is one thermostat cover. I left that on the 540 so I could say it was a Mopar with a few parts changed.

"This is 1/8th mile, no rules racing. The aero loss in the 1/8th is a non factor. Also how light would YOU think a 69 B-body would be. My guess is not very and I will hope that most others feel the same way..."

You got that right. Most people around these parts are used to Wild Bill's (RIP) heavy sled (RR clone). You will surprise more than a few folks with that thing being 2600# with driver. BTW, the last I heard ole Kenny Ford bought Bill's car.

I'm looking forward to seeing the GTX get out. We might have to line up just to get the pic as I don't think there is one from KOS of our cars lined up together.

Re: Attn Steff - 08/05/14 04:10 PM

Congrats Monte, know you tune Monza's nos and he's number 1.

Re: Attn Steff - 08/05/14 05:22 PM

Quote:

While we are on the subject of Street Out-Laws did some of the none believers in what Monte said about his BBC see the Horse-Power FarmTrucks small BBC made?

Re: Attn Steff - 08/05/14 07:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

While we are on the subject of Street Out-Laws did some of the none believers in what Monte said about his BBC see the Horse-Power FarmTrucks small BBC made?

yep, bout 44 less hp than Digby's motor!!!
Posted By: Gary Robbins

Re: Attn Steff - 08/05/14 10:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No doubt Digby's car is bad to the bone on leaf's and with the right tuner it could be a 4.50-4.60 car with MOPAR power...I think it's at the chassis shop going on a diet and when he gets it back along with taking out the .040 jets i think he'll run right by the 4.83 he's already ran !!!

But Monte is right as it hasn't proven it will stay together on big jets yet...no doubt it makes big power and we'll just have to wait on the reliability part until he turns it up !!!

Re: Attn Steff - 08/05/14 10:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No doubt Digby's car is bad to the bone on leaf's and with the right tuner it could be a 4.50-4.60 car with MOPAR power...I think it's at the chassis shop going on a diet and when he gets it back along with taking out the .040 jets i think he'll run right by the 4.83 he's already ran !!!

But Monte is right as it hasn't proven it will stay together on big jets yet...no doubt it makes big power and we'll just have to wait on the reliability part until he turns it up !!!

with the nitrous tuning ability that Monte has this could be a very capable combo!!! and maybe something he could entertain putting in his car?

Re: Attn Steff - 08/05/14 11:20 PM

This whole thread is BS!!!! Alderman's B1 motor held together just fine on the juice and he was BAD A$$!!!!

Re: Attn Steff - 08/06/14 01:28 AM

Quote:

This whole thread is BS!!!! Alderman's B1 motor held together just fine on the juice and he was BAD A$$!!!!

taking cover now

Re: Attn Steff - 08/06/14 01:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If you notice I said a Small BBC not a Big BBC,do you think Digbys will make any where close to a Big Cu In BBC?
Posted By: ksj

Re: Attn Steff - 08/06/14 02:11 AM

Quote:

LOL.You only get a pass because of your B-Day. LOL.

Re: Attn Steff - 08/06/14 02:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

LOL.You only get a pass because of your B-Day. LOL.

I'm just glad someone thought it was funny. I was starting to worry
Posted By: ksj

Re: Attn Steff - 08/06/14 03:13 AM

We both have that warped mind in common.

Re: Attn Steff - 08/06/14 03:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

with the nitrous tuning ability that Monte has this could be a very capable combo!!! and maybe something he could entertain putting in his car?

Monte stated already he doesn't like the small bore space those motors have.

Re: Attn Steff - 08/06/14 03:57 AM

Quote:

I laughed as well!!

On a side note, I wonder if we'll ever get the true story......Somebody knows...........

Re: Attn Steff - 08/06/14 03:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If you notice I said a Small BBC not a Big BBC,do you think Digbys will make any where close to a Big Cu In BBC?

I watched the show and never heard them say how many cubic inches the all great and powerful bbc was!!!!

Monte asked to show him a 600 cubic inch wedge mopar that could make 1000hp and hold 1000 shot of nitrous. I am just saying Digby's motor is pretty close. It made 1210hp and 913tq. Not sure how much nitrous he is spraying but I believe he built it to handle a 800 shot.

Re: Attn Steff - 08/07/14 05:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I watched the show and never heard them say how many cubic inches the all great and powerful bbc was!!!!

Monte asked to show him a 600 cubic inch wedge mopar that could make 1000hp and hold 1000 shot of nitrous. I am just saying Digby's motor is pretty close. It made 1210hp and 913tq. Not sure how much nitrous he is spraying but I believe he built it to handle a 800 shot. [/quote

Wow 1210hp is awesome for those heads.The reason I am not running those heads now is none of us including some of the very best engine builders there all thought 1130-1150 hp would be tops on an all out high $$$ engine.Over the years I have spent as much if not more $$$ than anyone else on this board on Big Block Mopar engines.And when I have work done I do not look for the cheapest or care how far I have to take/send things I look for the very best only.So conqrats to you & Digby on the 1210 hp out of the Mopar engine!

But I now have a Question for both you and Monte that I'm sure a lot of others on here will be interested in as well.While both engines are close Horse-Power wise..............................................

I would like for you if you do not mind to give us a ball-park figure on the cost of the Mopar engine build,and Monte if he does not mind to give us a ball-park figure on the cost of the BBC engine build.

Re: Attn Steff - 08/07/14 05:48 PM

Digby is not the only one making 1200+ on a nitrous deal with a Predator, just saying. The costs are pretty high to get it there but they are on most engines making 1200+HP.

Re: Attn Steff - 08/07/14 06:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte asked to show him a 600 cubic inch wedge mopar that could make 1000hp and hold 1000 shot of nitrous. I am just saying Digby's motor is pretty close. It made 1210hp and 913tq. Not sure how much nitrous he is spraying but I believe he built it to handle a 800 shot. [/quote

Wow 1210hp is awesome for those heads.The reason I am not running those heads now is none of us including some of the very best engine builders there all thought 1130-1150 hp would be tops on an all out high $$$ engine.Over the years I have spent as much if not more $$$ than anyone else on this board on Big Block Mopar engines.And when I have work done I do not look for the cheapest or care how far I have to take/send things I look for the very best only.So conqrats to you & Digby on the 1210 hp out of the Mopar engine!

But I now have a Question for both you and Monte that I'm sure a lot of others on here will be interested in as well.While both engines are close Horse-Power wise..............................................

I would like for you if you do not mind to give us a ball-park figure on the cost of the Mopar engine build,and Monte if he does not mind to give us a ball-park figure on the cost of the BBC engine build.

First off I have nothing to do with Jason's engine or any of his racing operation, I have met and talked to Jason a few times at the track, we are Facebook friends, and we text each other occasionally to talk about racing and such. He is from North Mississippi and I am from South Central Mississippi.

If I remember correctly Jason told me he had about $51,000 dollars tied up in the build, but I think that includes all the electronics and fuel/fuel management system because it is EFI. Not sure how much just the engine it's self would cost.

The engine was built by Jeff Burns racing engines.

Jason is a great guy and has spent a small fortune flying the Mopar banner trying to run with the best of the best leaf spring guys in the country on a 275 drag radial. They dont have a lot of runs on this combo yet but they are slowly sneaking up on it. I commend him for his efforts.

Re: Attn Steff - 08/07/14 06:53 PM

One VERY important thing is being overlooked here.....we DON'T RACE DYNO's. That is just a number on a piece of paper, that can be obtained solely at the discretion of the guy calibrating the dyno. Ever notice how many times you tell an engine builder that you would LIKE to make so and so horsepower, that you get a dyno sheet that just squeaks in over that number, funny how that works.

Now, as far as Digby's motor, it is a fine piece and makes good power. But also as ALL Mopar motors are, it is bore limited because of the bore space. Another fact.....when the Predator head was designed, they basically took a Pro-Filer GM head and figured out how to make it fit a Mopar engine and bolt on. So for all intents and purposes, a Predator motor is a smaller bore motor, with 10 year old head technology and you would expect that to keep up inch for inch with the latest GM offerings, yet on a smaller bore...........well OK, if you say so.

I know for a fact that Digby's motor, to swallow REALLY large doses of nitrous, needs some help. It has too much compression, the wrong camshaft, the quench is too tight and the heads need some chamber and short turn work. It was built with the intention of making as much N/A power as they could and spray it a little bit. It has already proven to be VERY timing sensitive to the fairly small amount they ever hit it with. The guy that drives and tunes the car, was talking with me about it on a regular basis.

The other motor I am speaking about in this thread, if you want to go by HP numbers from various dynos, is about 30hp behind Digby's..........BUT, was built 100% to spray hard. It has low compression, a monster camshaft, loose quench, the heads done right, heavy pistons and everything else a large dose nitrous motor needs. I can run as much timing in this motor on 3 kits as they were able to get by on ONE with Jason's motor...............And the NUMBER 1 FACT, this motor has been 4.40s @ 163mph in a 2900lb car numerous times and we don't hurt it. It comes apart at 60 passes for rods and rings and other than that, is trouble free.

Monte

Re: Attn Steff - 08/07/14 07:48 PM

Quote:

One VERY important thing is being overlooked here.....we DON'T RACE DYNO's. That is just a number on a piece of paper, that can be obtained solely at the discretion of the guy calibrating the dyno. Ever notice how many times you tell an engine builder that you would LIKE to make so and so horsepower, that you get a dyno sheet that just squeaks in over that number, funny how that works.

Now, as far as Digby's motor, it is a fine piece and makes good power. But also as ALL Mopar motors are, it is bore limited because of the bore space. Another fact.....when the Predator head was designed, they basically took a Pro-Filer GM head and figured out how to make it fit a Mopar engine and bolt on. So for all intents and purposes, a Predator motor is a smaller bore motor, with 10 year old head technology and you would expect that to keep up inch for inch with the latest GM offerings, yet on a smaller bore...........well OK, if you say so.

I know for a fact that Digby's motor, to swallow REALLY large doses of nitrous, needs some help. It has too much compression, the wrong camshaft, the quench is too tight and the heads need some chamber and short turn work. It was built with the intention of making as much N/A power as they could and spray it a little bit. It has already proven to be VERY timing sensitive to the fairly small amount they ever hit it with. The guy that drives and tunes the car, was talking with me about it on a regular basis.

The other motor I am speaking about in this thread, if you want to go by HP numbers from various dynos, is about 30hp behind Digby's..........BUT, was built 100% to spray hard. It has low compression, a monster camshaft, loose quench, the heads done right, heavy pistons and everything else a large dose nitrous motor needs. I can run as much timing in this motor on 3 kits as they were able to get by on ONE with Jason's motor...............And the NUMBER 1 FACT, this motor has been 4.40s @ 163mph in a 2900lb car numerous times and we don't hurt it. It comes apart at 60 passes for rods and rings and other than that, is trouble free.

Monte

I dont know all the technical stuff that you guys know about these big builds, Im just a smallblock bracket racer.

Monte, Jason is either 3350 or 3250 lbs for the leafspring class, do you think that with the changes you mentioned and getting down in weight that this could be a viable combo? I understand its limited on bore space and probably never be good enough for what you want to do, but how good do you think it could be with the changes you mentioned? Or would the changes that you'd make reduce the HP amount so much that it would hurt the overall performance to much to make it a viable combo?

Re: Attn Steff - 08/07/14 08:54 PM

Being a Bracket Racer like you while I may not can answer your question as good as Monte,but I might can answer it better in Bracket Racing terms.
When you build a NOS engine like Monte says you use less camshaft & CR and therefore it makes less Horse-Power than an all out NA engine,but you can Safely Spray more NOS to it.Which ends up making more hp on NOS than the NA built engine will make on NOS!

PS the question of price on them two engines was an unfair question,I already knew the answer!

Re: Attn Steff - 08/07/14 09:06 PM

Quote:

Being a Bracket Racer like you while I may not can answer your question as good as Monte,but I might can answer it better in Bracket Racing terms.
When you build a NOS engine like Monte says you use less camshaft & CR and therefore it makes less Horse-Power than an all out NA engine,but you can Safely Spray more NOS to it.Which ends up making more hp on NOS than the NA built engine will make on NOS!

PS the question of price on them two engines was an unfair question,I already knew the answer!

I understand what you are saying, I'm wondering how it would do built for NOS like Monte describes

Re: Attn Steff - 08/07/14 09:16 PM

So do tell. How much Horsepower does it take to get a it two weeks ago. Predator headed TS car belonging to a friend of mine. It was built with the intention of spraying said motor with a 500 hit eventually. Just dont take that out here to get in. While I agree that is not 3 stages and 1000+ the motor seems to run fairly well for a Predator. He did hit it with a 150 shot, added the required 150lbs(2450 min) and went 6.96. He had the motor built for the larger hit in case he wanted to travel to the Midwest to race. He prefers to be at the top side of the ladder and it would likely take that much to do it.

Having said that believe me I understand the limitations. Bore is HP, period!! I am in the middle of my Predator build now and will be happy to see 1200 anything. We are already making plans to change a lot of stuff in it next time. But being anew aluminum block we just want to get some data and see how it works before we make any changes.

It is REALLY hard to quantify the small tire stuff for sure. Some folks are flat out better at getting that power down to the ground than others. Most all are killing a lot of power down low and applying it later down track. That will have an affect on ultimate ET's and speed. The sooner you pour all you have at it the quicker and faster you you will be. If you are struggling to get it downtrack makes sense to put in what you can to get it down the track. Just saying when it comes to dyno numbers on small tire cars going this fast getting it to the ground is the most important factor IMO.

Re: Attn Steff - 08/07/14 11:53 PM

Monte,
Knowing that all combos will be different...What is your preferred comp ratio and quench if you don't mind saying...Thanks Gary !
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Attn Steff - 08/08/14 02:34 AM

Doesn't Indy and KB make 4.84 blocks.??

Chris..

Re: Attn Steff - 08/08/14 03:42 AM

Quote:

So do tell. How much Horsepower does it take to get a it two weeks ago. Predator headed TS car belonging to a friend of mine. It was built with the intention of spraying said motor with a 500 hit eventually. Just dont take that out here to get in. While I agree that is not 3 stages and 1000+ the motor seems to run fairly well for a Predator. He did hit it with a 150 shot, added the required 150lbs(2450 min) and went 6.96. He had the motor built for the larger hit in case he wanted to travel to the Midwest to race. He prefers to be at the top side of the ladder and it would likely take that much to do it.

Having said that believe me I understand the limitations. Bore is HP, period!! I am in the middle of my Predator build now and will be happy to see 1200 anything. We are already making plans to change a lot of stuff in it next time. But being anew aluminum block we just want to get some data and see how it works before we make any changes.

It is REALLY hard to quantify the small tire stuff for sure. Some folks are flat out better at getting that power down to the ground than others. Most all are killing a lot of power down low and applying it later down track. That will have an affect on ultimate ET's and speed. The sooner you pour all you have at it the quicker and faster you you will be. If you are struggling to get it downtrack makes sense to put in what you can to get it down the track. Just saying when it comes to dyno numbers on small tire cars going this fast getting it to the ground is the most important factor IMO.

This is all true Al, but mph for a given car weight, does not lie as to what it takes power wise, to push a certain car to a certain speed. It mostly makes me laugh when I hear guys at the track touting all these big HP numbers their motors supposedly made on the dynos, yet guys with WAY less power are wearing them out on a regular basis. Either there are a TON of really bad tuners out there, or a TON of "happy" dynos. In my own experiences, I vote for the latter.

Digby's motor could be made lots more nitrous friendly, with some changes and he knows that..........BUT, at the end of the day, the limited bore size will NEVER let the Mopar head breathe like the GM head on a bigger bore will. It's just simple physics. You CAN'T pass more through a smaller hole. This coupled to the fact that GM head development is an ongoing thing and the Mopar stuff is dead in the water, will only make the gap bigger and bigger in the future. I feel the Predator, while a GOOD head, is likely as good right now as it can ever be given the bore limits andthere seems to be a new and better off brand head nearly every day. You can NOT fight progress with 20 year old designs

Monte

Re: Attn Steff - 08/08/14 03:52 AM

Quote:

Monte,
Knowing that all combos will be different...What is your preferred comp ratio and quench if you don't mind saying...Thanks Gary !

Many factors come into play on that Gary, but assuming we are building an "all out" nitrous motor, that will see in excess of 600hp for a small block or 800+ on a big block, I do have some numbers I shoot for. I don't like more than 13.5 or so on compression for any combo. Chad's 632 only has 12.2 and runs like a raped ape on the spray, but a little more would probably help it. The 738 is close to 14.1..............Quench is tricky, because the head comes into play, but on most small blocks I will want .080 at an absolute min, but prefer closer to .100. Most 600" or so big motors in the .100 range and our 738 has .140. More stroke, usually means you need more quench distance to make it happy. As far as camshafts go.......Billy said smaller, that is NOT the way I go. Most of the nitrous motors I do have absolute MONSTER camshafts in them. To use a lot of nitrous, you have to get it in and out of the motor, hence I do some big stuff. I have small block cams approaching an inch of lift and many BB cams over that by a good bit. LOTS of duration at .050 and wide LSA numbers. The CAMSHAFT is where 9 of 10 guys miss the setup on a nitrous motor

Monte

Re: Attn Steff - 08/08/14 04:03 AM

Quote:

Chris..

What head you gonna put on that. An INDY 600-13?...........that ain't gonna get it done. NOW if they develop a NEW Predator casting for a 4.840 bore center, we might have something going, but I doubt that is EVER going to happen. Just not enough market share to warrant the development cost

Monte
Posted By: John Burdine

Re: Attn Steff - 08/08/14 04:06 AM

what car is Digby?
Posted By: a493demon

Re: Attn Steff - 08/08/14 04:13 AM

Attached picture 8233352-10342414_739603359436745_3542715604676279865_n.jpg

Re: Attn Steff - 08/08/14 04:23 AM

Pics I took at South Georgia and Holly Springs

Attached picture 8233366-image.jpg

Re: Attn Steff - 08/08/14 04:25 AM

Jason driving the 4-wheeler

Attached picture 8233368-image.jpg

Re: Attn Steff - 08/08/14 04:26 AM

One more

Attached picture 8233372-image.jpg
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Attn Steff - 08/08/14 04:40 AM

Most likely a dumb question......
Has anyone built a 99 motor with spraying it in mind? To much rpm's needed?
Is that even a sensible platform

Re: Attn Steff - 08/08/14 04:42 AM

After reading all this......I'm getting depressed, never realized how much bb mopars suck......lmao !

Re: Attn Steff - 08/08/14 04:45 AM

Many Mopar guys want to label me a Mopar hater and that is FAR from the truth. I LOVE Mopar but am also a racer and mostly a "realist". And the simple truth remains in a realistic situation of parts, we are way behind being able to compete on an inch per inch hp basis in most situations. Now, could I build a screw blown HEMI or a twin turbo HEMI and have just as good of a chance as anyone else regardless of brand.........yes I could. But that is not what I WANT to do. If I wanted a boosted combo, I would have one. None of the OTHER brands are limited to ONE single combo that could compete, so why do I have to be. Same as if I was running an N/A class that say had a 632in limit and allowed any cylinder head. As a Mopar guy, you are out. At the absolute BEST you could be given those rules, you will be 150+ HP down to the best Chevy and Ford combos. So why in the world would I be willing to go out and beat my head against the wall, knowing I can't compete, but possibly being able to say I have the "fastest 632 N/A Mopar"..........yeah, that gains me a lot of satisfaction. I like to WIN.

I realize most of my arguments fall on deaf ears, because the percentage of Mopar guys who choose to race in a "heads-up" class is very small, so the lack of HP making parts is a moot point. It simply doesn't matter to most who are die hard brand loyal, because most are looking to go as fast as THEY can, not faster than everyone else..........So just because I choose to be a heads up racer and constantly lament the fact that I can't get the parts to compete on a heads up level makes me NO LESS of a Mopar guy than anyone else, just a different TYPE Mopar guy. While having the "fastest Mopar" so and so may appeal to some, it doesn't to me. I don't find much solice in this "moral" victory and "everybody gets a ribbon" society we live in today. I want to win in my chosen class and crush the other guy while doing it, regardless of the brand he drives. This is the reason I ran very little of the KOS stuff when it was going good. I think I was number one qualifier at every KOS race I ran by a good margin, yet was just a top half car at NMCA or HOT ROD events. I always wanted to race the best of the best, not just the best of my brand. Brian Hicks was the same way and we both felt the same way about that. He flew the Mopar colors with the Chicago "Wise Guys" and I did the best I could with the NMCA and Hot Rod crowds. We were both very proud that we had two of the fastest small tire Mopars on the planet, but both wanted more. Nothing wrong with that.

Monte
Posted By: 105630

Re: Attn Steff - 08/08/14 04:54 AM

If they are not heads up racers Monte ,they can never understand what you are saying.Good luck with the GTX ,will be nice seeing it back out.

Re: Attn Steff - 08/08/14 05:00 AM

Quote:

Many Mopar guys want to label me a Mopar hater and that is FAR from the truth. I LOVE Mopar but am also a racer and mostly a "realist". And the simple truth remains in a realistic situation of parts, we are way behind being able to compete on an inch per inch hp basis in most situations. Now, could I build a screw blown HEMI or a twin turbo HEMI and have just as good of a chance as anyone else regardless of brand.........yes I could. But that is not what I WANT to do. If I wanted a boosted combo, I would have one. None of the OTHER brands are limited to ONE single combo that could compete, so why do I have to be. Same as if I was running an N/A class that say had a 632in limit and allowed any cylinder head. As a Mopar guy, you are out. At the absolute BEST you could be given those rules, you will be 150+ HP down to the best Chevy and Ford combos. So why in the world would I be willing to go out and beat my head against the wall, knowing I can't compete, but possibly being able to say I have the "fastest 632 N/A Mopar"..........yeah, that gains me a lot of satisfaction. I like to WIN.

I realize most of my arguments fall on deaf ears, because the percentage of Mopar guys who choose to race in a "heads-up" class is very small, so the lack of HP making parts is a moot point. It simply doesn't matter to most who are die hard brand loyal, because most are looking to go as fast as THEY can, not faster than everyone else..........So just because I choose to be a heads up racer and constantly lament the fact that I can't get the parts to compete on a heads up level makes me NO LESS of a Mopar guy than anyone else, just a different TYPE Mopar guy. While having the "fastest Mopar" so and so may appeal to some, it doesn't to me. I don't find much solice in this "moral" victory and "everybody gets a ribbon" society we live in today. I want to win in my chosen class and crush the other guy while doing it, regardless of the brand he drives. This is the reason I ran very little of the KOS stuff when it was going good. I think I was number one qualifier at every KOS race I ran by a good margin, yet was just a top half car at NMCA or HOT ROD events. I always wanted to race the best of the best, not just the best of my brand. Brian Hicks was the same way and we both felt the same way about that. He flew the Mopar colors with the Chicago "Wise Guys" and I did the best I could with the NMCA and Hot Rod crowds. We were both very proud that we had two of the fastest small tire Mopars on the planet, but both wanted more. Nothing wrong with that.

Monte

No one on here cares......lol

They all still purple shafts and Dana 60.....

What about ultra street ? Think a mopar can compete? The pontiacs seem to be doing ok

Re: Attn Steff - 08/08/14 05:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

What about ultra street ? Think a mopar can compete? The pontiacs seem to be doing ok

I think so...........I mean my 446 B-1 MC combo went teens and .20s 15 years ago, with a bad engine combo and a crappy nitrous tune in a single fogger. I had really good heads, but some new PSOs on a bigger shortblock and a sharp plate tune would make a lot more power than I did then. My car did work good and was going teen 60fts. That was the only reason it was as fast as it was. My stock block 451 INDY motor went 5.30s on the fogger before that.

Monte

Re: Attn Steff - 08/08/14 05:54 AM

From my experience with a 99 I don't think you are going to see anyone spraying one successfully anytime soon. The biggest issue is the blocks. Or lack there of a decent piece readily available for any sorted of boosted deal. There is one that runs with Turbos very well. Well it is a Mirror Ford but Steve Matusek has had some success with it.

Re: Attn Steff - 08/08/14 05:57 AM

Monte I do get it with MPH. I also agree lots of happy dynos in the world. But if you are having issues applying the power to the track that the desperity will be greater in the 1/8 than the 1/4 in terms of MPH. If you cannot lay the wood to it till 330' out it will not MPH as it should or could. All I was trying to say. My old Barracuda was a good example. We sucked at the short track even MPH was slow. But stretch out the length of the track and we ran MPH with the top cars. We were very fast from 330 on but sucked in the important part of the track from 0-330'.

Re: Attn Steff - 08/08/14 06:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

And then the insults start.

The money that fast guys spend is off the spectrum for most of us.

We all want to cheer, route, nutswing or whatever you want to call it so having a brilliant guy like Monte in our court is something we wish he could go out and make the rest of us broke jokes proud for him. He just happens to make his living off nitrous, sucks for us.

Btw, i painted my cam in my gen 3 hemi purple before i slid it in
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Attn Steff - 08/08/14 07:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Chris..

What head you gonna put on that. An INDY 600-13?...........that ain't gonna get it done. NOW if they develop a NEW Predator casting for a 4.840 bore center, we might have something going, but I doubt that is EVER going to happen. Just not enough market share to warrant the development cost

Monte

Actually I was just wondering because of your TS heads. You were saying you needed a block..

I thought they made them, but was just curious because of your combo.

Don't the TS 4.84 heads flow 530-540.??

Chris..
Posted By: MattW

Re: Attn Steff - 08/08/14 12:58 PM

Many factors come into play on that Gary, but assuming we are building an "all out" nitrous motor, that will see in excess of 600hp for a small block or 800+ on a big block, I do have some numbers I shoot for. I don't like more than 13.5 or so on compression for any combo. Chad's 632 only has 12.2 and runs like a raped ape on the spray, but a little more would probably help it. The 738 is close to 14.1..............Quench is tricky, because the head comes into play, but on most small blocks I will want .080 at an absolute min, but prefer closer to .100. Most 600" or so big motors in the .100 range and our 738 has .140. More stroke, usually means you need more quench distance to make it happy. As far as camshafts go.......Billy said smaller, that is NOT the way I go. Most of the nitrous motors I do have absolute MONSTER camshafts in them. To use a lot of nitrous, you have to get it in and out of the motor, hence I do some big stuff. I have small block cams approaching an inch of lift and many BB cams over that by a good bit. LOTS of duration at .050 and wide LSA numbers. The CAMSHAFT is where 9 of 10 guys miss the setup on a nitrous motor

Monte

So want would it take with a small block? Matt

Re: Attn Steff - 08/08/14 05:23 PM

So Monte it would be possible to compete with a Turbo Hemi setup?

I totally understand what you want to do and why you are doing it and have no problems with it I'm just curious about the competitiveness of a turbo Hemi setup.

Thanks

Re: Attn Steff - 08/08/14 06:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Monte,

Monte

Thanks Monte,for the tip on the camshaft.While I am new to NOS and still trying to learn it make sense to use an even bigger camshaft.There are some people around here(Pro Mod Racers) that build
some killer NOS engines but they go smaller/milder on the camshafts.
And they will sell you a camshaft but can bet they will share only the basics must know info. with the camshafts.But I do know they are a little milder/smaller in lift & duration.

All of us Mopar Racers need to Stop being so hard headed all of the time and pay more attention to whats being said and we just might learn something not only new but helpful.

If its something somebody is quoting from a article some where I pay very little attention to it,but if its something they have done and it works on the Drag Strip believe it or not I pay attention!

PS Speaking of article/books if someone knows of a book you can buy to study/learn about Dyno's please let me know.We buy some Big High $$$ engines some times at a reasonable price and most have their own Dyno's and are willing to show you on the Dyno their engines back up their Horse-Power claims.And I would like to be able to tell if they were set up in a "Happy" dyno mode. Dyno operators are the only people I know that try to be more secretive than Grudge Racers!

Re: Attn Steff - 08/08/14 07:02 PM

Quote:

Monte

So want would it take with a small block? Matt

Camshafts are a big part of my business. I have probably had 50 ground this year alone. That said, I will be happy to GRIND you a cam, but if you want me to just spell out here that you need this, this and this, so that you can have one ground by someone else, sorry, I can't do that.

Can give you a few ideas though. Say you have a smallblock that you are basically putting a big block load of nitrous in. Same amount of nitrous, yet you have a smaller bore, a smaller port, smaller valves, smaller chamber, less swept volume, etc, etc, etc. So what parameters would you think you NEED in a cam? Basically we have to "trick" the motor into thinking it is bigger than it is. So we need BIG and LONG valve action to fill the cylinder. Also, small fast burn chambers are VERY aggressive, so to keep the motor from burning itself up with chamber heat, you have to open the exhaust valve VERY early to blow the cylinder down and get the heat out. But you can't open the intake late to do it. So that means wide LSA numbers. We might grind the intake on a 117 and the exhaust on a 122, which leaves us an LSA of 119.5. Overlap is also a concern, because too much hangs the valves open and blows the charge straight through the chamber.

The term "nitrous cam" is really a misnomer. There is no such thing, nor is there a such thing as a turbo cam, blower cam, or anything else. It is just the "proper" cam for the application and what you intend to do with it.

Monte

Re: Attn Steff - 08/08/14 07:10 PM

While its true MOPAR'S want be competitive with wedge heads in heads up outlaw racing where bore spacing,large ci along more modern heads rule the kingdom...I have no problem being competitive when you have to run conventional heads along with standard bore spacing with a BBNOS combo in our area 275 classes...At the last 2 we attended Tex275 .036 jet limit races we qualified #3 at one and we runner upped at the other...We never feel under powered with anything else out there in our class as it usually comes down to power management along with who makes the right call...Maybe one of these days at the right race along with the right track we'll put the man pills in and see if 60's/70's are possible and if I can't do it with the B1 originals I have a new set of PSO heads setting on the shelf I've been dying to get started on,but really want to max out this combo first !!

web page

Re: Attn Steff - 08/08/14 07:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte,

Monte

Thanks Monte,for the tip on the camshaft.While I am new to NOS and still trying to learn it make sense to use an even bigger camshaft.There are some people around here(Pro Mod Racers) that build
some killer NOS engines but they go smaller/milder on the camshafts.
And they will sell you a camshaft but can bet they will share only the basics must know info. with the camshafts.But I do know they are a little milder/smaller in lift & duration.

All of us Mopar Racers need to Stop being so hard headed all of the time and pay more attention to whats being said and we just might learn something not only new but helpful.

If its something somebody is quoting from a article some where I pay very little attention to it,but if its something they have done and it works on the Drag Strip believe it or not I pay attention!

PS Speaking of article/books if someone knows of a book you can buy to study/learn about Dyno's please let me know.We buy some Big High $$$ engines some times at a reasonable price and most have their own Dyno's and are willing to show you on the Dyno their engines back up their Horse-Power claims.And I would like to be able to tell if they were set up in a "Happy" dyno mode. Dyno operators are the only people I know that try to be more secretive than Grudge Racers!

Somebody who builds a quality race engine and somebody who builds a quality "nitrous" race engine can be two WAY different things. I was recently testing with some grudge guys in Montgomery. They had a new "nitrous" engine built by a well known fairly local guy, known for making really good power. Well the car ran like azz with the tune up I put in it, so I started asking questions about the build. The compression, the quench, the cam, the pumping pounds, etc. After getting the answers to my questions, it was obvious why it would not run. This "well known" builder had NO CLUE, what it took to make a motor really swallow large doses of nitrous and be good at it. This was a well built 632 conv headed Chevy, with the best parts money could buy. They were just the WRONG parts for what we needed to do. And while this guy had just dropped serious coin on a "new" motor, he is going to have to drop a lot more to "fix" it. It is on it's way to me now to make the needed changes, which will set him back about another 6k on top of his new motor. Moral of the story.......find the guy who knows what to do the FIRST time.

Re: Attn Steff - 08/08/14 07:23 PM

Quote:

While its true MOPAR'S want be competitive with wedge heads in heads up outlaw racing where bore spacing,large ci along more modern heads rule the kingdom...I have no problem being competitive when you have to run conventional heads along with standard bore spacing with a BBNOS combo in our area 275 classes...At the last 2 we attended Tex275 .036 jet limit races we qualified #3 at one and we runner upped at the other...We never feel under powered with anything else out there in our class as it usually comes down to power management along with who makes the right call...Maybe one of these days at the right race along with the right track we'll put the man pills in and see if 60's/70's are possible and if I can't do it with the B1 originals I have a new set of PSO heads setting on the shelf I've been dying to get started on,but really want to max out this combo first !!

web page

Gary I totally understand where you are coming from on the "local" level. Same around here. A local 275 race, if you have a 4.80 car, you can be a player unless a "hitter" shows up. And we know who those guys are. The ones who run 4.50s and even some .40s at the big races. I rarely say NEVER, because never is a long time.......but, while I realize that are FEW serious effort Mopar guys, to my knowledge there has not been a Mopar x275 car yet in the .70s and .40s is a LONG way from there.

That class you are running in is pretty limited to try and keep combos equal. I know one of my guys, Jim Staples runs that deal but carries a good bit of weight for his heads, which are considered really "good" conventional heads for a Chevy

And as I said earlier, some are content to be the fastest at the local track, or the fastest Mopar, or whatever, but I am just not wired that way. If I build an X275 car, I want to be able to take that car ANYWHERE and the guy in the other lane be worried about having to run me. And while chassis, power management, etc are HUGE in small tire racing, I also like to know that if both cars make a good clean hit, that I have the oats to run up front. But that's just me.

Monte

Re: Attn Steff - 08/08/14 08:03 PM

Do you think a large ci hemi turbo setup could be competitive if someone wanted to run that setup , or are we still to limited by the bore spacing?

Thanks

Re: Attn Steff - 08/08/14 08:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

web page

Gary I totally understand where you are coming from on the "local" level. Same around here. A local 275 race, if you have a 4.80 car, you can be a player unless a "hitter" shows up. And we know who those guys are. The ones who run 4.50s and even some .40s at the big races. I rarely say NEVER, because never is a long time.......but, while I realize that are FEW serious effort Mopar guys, to my knowledge there has not been a Mopar x275 car yet in the .70s and .40s is a LONG way from there.

That class you are running in is pretty limited to try and keep combos equal. I know one of my guys, Jim Staples runs that deal but carries a good bit of weight for his heads, which are considered really "good" conventional heads for a Chevy

And as I said earlier, some are content to be the fastest at the local track, or the fastest Mopar, or whatever, but I am just not wired that way. If I build an X275 car, I want to be able to take that car ANYWHERE and the guy in the other lane be worried about having to run me. And while chassis, power management, etc are HUGE in small tire racing, I also like to know that if both cars make a good clean hit, that I have the oats to run up front. But that's just me.

Monte

So what way are you "wired" ??
To have your car sit in the shop for 15 years ??
And look down on the people that are actually out there racing ??

Re: Attn Steff - 08/08/14 08:40 PM

Quote:

Quit stirring the crap Bill. Please. When was the last time you had anything at the track other than a jr.dragster? The last car I saw you have at a track was what...15 years ago? Some of us are actually trying to learn something here.

Re: Attn Steff - 08/08/14 08:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quit stirring the crap Bill. Please. When was the last time you had anything at the track other than a jr.dragster? The last car I saw you have at a track was what...15 years ago? Some of us are actually trying to learn something here.

Me Stirring....?? Ya gotta be kidding....I applaud guys like Gary Robbins....that are out there racing....I don't understand the ones that are condescendingly putting him and others down.....in a backhanded way of course....and the ones that mock the "purple shaft cam guys" and those that would even dare to run a dana....are NOT even out there racing.....Just My Opinion

and btw, I haven't seen you at a track in many many years....does that mean you haven't been ?

Re: Attn Steff - 08/08/14 08:55 PM

Bill. You know I can't drive anymore. I had a brain hemorrhage last June. If I am lucky I will be back in it in a year or three. Up till that time I was quite active. Now carry on with your regular abuse of this thread.

Re: Attn Steff - 08/08/14 09:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

web page

Monte

I do listen when people with your knowledge speak,but upper 40's and bottum 50's are not the normal in X275 anywhere that i know of...Yes it's been done,but not regularly and a 60/70 car will win his share as the guys running 50's are typically on the edge or needs the right track to put all that power down and a pretty elite small group(last Denton,Tx race won with a .59 and Tulsa with a .60)...Now I have run no where near a 60/70 anything with small pills and may never,but I feel like its possible and sure is fun being the only MOPAR at these events !!!

Staples was the #2 guy with a .061 where i was #3 with a .064 my last event with them(missed tune-up and spun 1st rnd) and hes won the last 2 races also...Nice too see another old guy getting it done !!

My combo was way off on that race also as it was our first time out with the 1.58 p/g and new PTC convertor...We left the 3.70's in the rear and new convt would only stahl 3600 & flash to 4300 along with dropping 1800 on the shift...Felt like i was dragging a boat anchor as it didn't go to high until 3.65 seconds into the run and was really shocked at the .06....have since put 3.89's in and my chance bolt together which goes 4500/5200 and only drops 800rpm at shift and just havn't had time to get it back out to see what it does !!!

Re: Attn Steff - 08/08/14 10:00 PM

Quote:

Do you think a large ci hemi turbo setup could be competitive if someone wanted to run that setup , or are we still to limited by the bore spacing?

Thanks

You don't need huge cubes with a turbo, it's all about keeping the heads on the block, lol.

IDK why people are getting excited about a certain class, defined by a ruleset to put butts in the seats, not being dominated by Mopar.

The top classes in drag racing, fuel and alky, have nothing but mopar based designs. In fact, literally nothing else has won in the fuel classes since one year in the 60's. None of the engines have much to do with anything from an OEM, just like every other "real" race class.

Still wondering why a hemi doesn't do well with a big load of nitrous? S/F.....Ken M

Re: Attn Steff - 08/08/14 10:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

web page

Monte

I usually don't feed the "troll" but what does the last time I raced my own car have to do with anything. I go to the track more in a year, than you probably have in your lifetime. And not to watch. I am working and tuning cars. And WHO am I looking down on? I wish I could have raced my car all that time, but a little thing called LIFE sometimes gets in the way.........Lets see whats happened in the last few years since I raced it. Rebuilt the car and bought exotic motor parts, for a class that was done away with before I even finished it. Had a child, got a divorce, built a new house, started my own business, had quadruple bypass heart surgery, my mom died, my dad has alzheimers and I go to the track about 25 weekends a year for my job with Holley. Sorry I haven't been able to get my car out to suit you.........Now you can resume your regularly scheduled hating.

Monte

Re: Attn Steff - 08/08/14 10:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

web page

Monte

Thats the way we Race down here in the South,we take things to new levels and we are willing to do what ever it takes to win!Come down here and do some Big $$$ Bracket Races with us and you will understand better.Come down here and do some Grudge Racing with us and you will go home Broke!
Monte is not a Bad Guy he is just from AlaBama like myself and we are all very aggressive Racers because thats what it takes to win down in Rebel Division 2 they can take the Rebel out of it and call it the SouthEast Division,but they can't take the Rebel out of us!
While we Race each other hard we will also him each other even if its the person we are up against in the next round,unless its a Grudge Race,don't ask about that you don't wanna know!
Here to all us real Racers face it we are never gonna all agree on the same thing and get alone with each other for over a few mins. at a time.

Re: Attn Steff - 08/08/14 10:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

web page

Monte

Thats the way we Race down here in the South,we take things to new levels and we are willing to do what ever it takes to win!Come down here and do some Big $$$ Bracket Races with us and you will understand better.Come down here and do some Grudge Racing with us and you will go home Broke!
Monte is not a Bad Guy he is just from AlaBama like myself and we are all very aggressive Racers because thats what it takes to win down in Rebel Division 2 they can take the Rebel out of it and call it the SouthEast Division,but they can't take the Rebel out of us!
While we Race each other hard we will also him each other even if its the person we are up against in the next round,unless its a Grudge Race,don't ask about that you don't wanna know!
Here to all us real Racers face it we are never gonna all agree on the same thing and get alone with each other for over a few mins. at a time. But that does not mean we can not learn from each other.

Re: Attn Steff - 08/09/14 03:10 AM

Purple shafts forever !

Don't like that.....lmfao ! Then I guess your on the right site.....

Do I race ? No not at all.......

Monte I told you before, you never learn....

Re: Attn Steff - 08/09/14 03:30 AM

Quote:

Purple shafts forever !

Don't like that.....lmfao ! Then I guess your on the right site.....

Do I race ? No not at all.......

Monte I told you before, you never learn....

hey, you gotta be one bad mammer camshaft to have a hit song by the Beach Boys

she's real fine..my 5-oh-9...gitty up gitty up 5-oh-9

oh snap, was 4-oh-9 or 5-oh-9.....naw... I think it was she's real fine my 5-oh-9.

Re: Attn Steff - 08/09/14 03:37 AM

The GTX had purple head lights........does that count.........I mean that's HARDCORE Mopar........lol!!!!

I guess I can also scratch "6 pak Runner" off my "wants a T shirt list".......

Monte

Attached picture 8234264-MSR26.jpg
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: Attn Steff - 08/09/14 03:39 AM

I just want to see it make a pass, I don't care what's under the hood!
Posted By: Ari440

Re: Attn Steff - 08/09/14 03:54 AM

can you tell alittle about your 446ci B1 motor

stock block ? crank rods cam comp rpm,s

Re: Attn Steff - 08/09/14 03:59 AM

Quote:

The GTX had purple head lights........does that count.........I mean that's HARDCORE Mopar........lol!!!!

I guess I can also scratch "6 pak Runner" off my "wants a T shirt list".......

Monte

hey man... I want a tee. I even have one of your foggers on my junk...and I don't have a tee...

Re: Attn Steff - 08/09/14 04:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

You don't need huge cubes with a turbo, it's all about keeping the heads on the block, lol.

IDK why people are getting excited about a certain class, defined by a ruleset to put butts in the seats, not being dominated by Mopar.

The top classes in drag racing, fuel and alky, have nothing but mopar based designs. In fact, literally nothing else has won in the fuel classes since one year in the 60's. None of the engines have much to do with anything from an OEM, just like every other "real" race class.

Still wondering why a hemi doesn't do well with a big load of nitrous? S/F.....Ken M

HEMI heads are NOT nitrous friendly, nor does that type motor have a good design for big cubes. They can flow big air, but NOT without boost to push it through there. In a big nitrous motor you need bore, not stroke. You also need as close to a flat top as you can get for a proper flame front, neither of which the HEMI has. The relatively small bore, huge knot to make compression and weight of said piston are all detriments. There is a REASON all the fastest nitrous cars on the planet run a wedge. And while the Sonny's "Chemi" rules the roost in big inch pro-stock, with it's flattened piston and chamber design, that design does NOT favor in the nitrous world........and it HAS been tried, several times.

Monte

Re: Attn Steff - 08/09/14 04:26 AM

Quote:

It was a TERRIBLE combination. At the time all you could get was a tall deck mega-block and have a big bore. Or at least that was all I could afford. So it was a 4.560 bore with a 3.40 stroke and a 7.250 rod. Figure up THAT rod ratio. It was 2.13. WAY too much dwell time at TDC for a nitrous motor and still had a heavy piston to boot. The cam was a Cammotion grind that was suppose to be the ticket, but looking back was horrible. With the short stroke and small chamber B-1MCs compression was hard to get as the valve reliefs were like craters. The heads were REALLY nice and flowed big air, but the rest of the combo was crap. It was a wonder it ran like it did. Single 4 B-1 intake and a single fogger that never had bigger than a .038 jet in it. Car was 3250 and ran 8teens.

Monte
Posted By: Ari440

Re: Attn Steff - 08/09/14 04:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

It was a TERRIBLE combination. At the time all you could get was a tall deck mega-block and have a big bore. Or at least that was all I could afford. So it was a 4.560 bore with a 3.40 stroke and a 7.250 rod. Figure up THAT rod ratio. It was 2.13. WAY too much dwell time at TDC for a nitrous motor and still had a heavy piston to boot. The cam was a Cammotion grind that was suppose to be the ticket, but looking back was horrible. With the short stroke and small chamber B-1MCs compression was hard to get as the valve reliefs were like craters. The heads were REALLY nice and flowed big air, but the rest of the combo was crap. It was a wonder it ran like it did. Single 4 B-1 intake and a single fogger that never had bigger than a .038 jet in it. Car was 3250 and ran 8teens.

Monte

how big where the flow numbers on those heads

also how big FLOW NUMBERS are the B1 origianls

I picked up a set of B1s how do you compare them to a set of 440-1s CNC 345s

Re: Attn Steff - 08/09/14 04:56 AM

Quote:

Bill. You know I can't drive anymore. I had a brain hemorrhage last June. If I am lucky I will be back in it in a year or three. Up till that time I was quite active. Now carry on with your regular abuse of this thread.

Hey Ted, I realize life gets in the way and there are much more important things than cars.

I commend you for the way your car has progressed, it has evolved constantly, and you have just kept on improving it. You just keep on keeping on no matter what life has thrown at you, and always with a great attitude.

I didn't mean to "abuse" this thread, just felt there was a lot of condescending put downs to the guys that are out there racing Mopars.

Different classes favor different cars....unless you race top fuel (which still has "rules" and limits put on)....all your doing is trying to pick the combo that is favored by the rules of the class.

Re: Attn Steff - 08/09/14 10:10 AM

Quote:

HEMI heads are NOT nitrous friendly, nor does that type motor have a good design for big cubes. They can flow big air, but NOT without boost to push it through there. In a big nitrous motor you need bore, not stroke. You also need as close to a flat top as you can get for a proper flame front, neither of which the HEMI has. The relatively small bore, huge knot to make compression and weight of said piston are all detriments. There is a REASON all the fastest nitrous cars on the planet run a wedge. And while the Sonny's "Chemi" rules the roost in big inch pro-stock, with it's flattened piston and chamber design, that design does NOT favor in the nitrous world........and it HAS been tried, several times.

Monte

Thanks for the reply.

The injected fuel guys in Top Alky seem to do OK without the boost but I get what you're saying. S/F....Ken M

Re: Attn Steff - 08/09/14 06:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Thanks for the reply.

The injected fuel guys in Top Alky seem to do OK without the boost but I get what you're saying. S/F....Ken M

They run NITRO........comparing that to alky is like comparing race fuel to water in terms of power. Those motors are VERY inefficient. Take that fuel away and they would be slugs.

Monte
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Attn Steff - 08/09/14 07:27 PM

The A/Fuel motors also seem to have a very narrow tuning window between rocket and wasted run. Hirata's test out at Joliet now and then, and rarely ever keep all 8 lit to 1/2 track.

Re: Attn Steff - 08/10/14 03:14 AM

Quote:

They run NITRO........comparing that to alky is like comparing race fuel to water in terms of power. Those motors are VERY inefficient. Take that fuel away and they would be slugs.

Monte

Sure, but the point is to get from A to B before the other guy; nothing else really matters.

A/Fuel vs blower/alky is the same old story, the rules makers trying to keep it all even and interesting to the crowds instead of just letting the tech progress and people keep up or not, with some basic safety rules. It's a business, let's not pretend any different.

All that being said, I wish you good luck. S/F....Ken M

Re: Attn Steff - 08/10/14 06:28 AM

Just for the record, the 4.900 B/S, TS head stuff isn't competitive, correct?

There's a guy local selling one of those. S/F....Ken M
© 2024 Moparts Forums