Moparts

Scat or Eagle for I beam rods

Posted By: 85_Ram_4speed

Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/06/14 01:30 AM

I generally like the Scat rods over the Eagles for engines I build, generally due to the better tolerances. But this one is a basic 340 rebuild, nothing fancy and will never be raced. Have the eagles improved at all in thier tolerances? They are about $70 less than the Scats and I am sure this gentleman would appreciate that.

Reasons for not wanting to use the stockers are bolts are $70 and to have the rods redone is $200. At $270, I can get the Eagles for the owner, and just be done---plus I really like using Cap bolt style rods.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/06/14 01:33 AM

The scat is made out of better material...

scat 4340

eagle 5140

but for a stock rebuild ...either one would probably do.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/06/14 01:41 AM

Neither, for a few bucks more get an H beam
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/06/14 01:43 AM

Quote:

Thats my opinion also

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/06/14 01:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Thats my opinion also

Really, for essentially a stock rebuild? Seems like alot of overkill, But I'll take it into account.

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/06/14 01:55 AM

I wouldn't use them in a stock build. They suck
Posted By: d-150

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/06/14 01:56 AM

from this forum scat over eagle,already mentioned better material

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/06/14 02:10 AM

Quote:

Care to elaborate?

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/06/14 02:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Care to elaborate?

I've seen many rip in half... but you can do what you
want

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/06/14 02:17 AM

you have seen scat 4340 I beam rods rip in half?
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/06/14 02:24 AM

My ...

My first experience with SCAT I Beams: 250 +/- runs in a 12:1 416, low 10's @ 3100#...6800-7000 at the stripe every run. We lost a couple of rod bearings due to oil detonation, and those rods were "blued" from the heat and out of spec obviously. But the other 6 were within spec that a resize would have made them reusable.

I have heard of many failures with Eagle I beams, though never ran them myself.

Your dead on about the cost or remanning a set of 40 year old OE rods vs, the SCATs. Better material, cap screws and much lighter than the OE rods.

SCAT's are going in a warmed up 340 I'm doing for a guy right now and will be in my street/strip small block for sure.
Posted By: v8punch

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/06/14 02:34 AM

I saw a scat rod I like a tie and not broke .... If I can choose, scat.

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/06/14 02:37 AM

Quote:

you have seen scat 4340 I beam rods rip in half?

They were Scat I beams... thats all I know but they
were in 2 halves.. I know nothing else about what
rpm or anything

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/06/14 02:45 AM

Got two sets in use, and will use them again..

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/06/14 03:31 AM

All I use are H-beams.. I bought a few sets of Eagles
years ago and thats what are in all my engines.. but
I have heard the quality went down a couple years back
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/06/14 05:10 AM

Quote:

Not a problem using scat I beams here. Especially in a stock rebuild situation. H beams are a wasteful overkill deal.

Eagle SIR's had lots of problems in the past.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/06/14 05:19 AM

The little enginemaster's 318 I am fixing to put in my Duster has Scat I beam 6.20 Chevy rods in it. I will find out here soon if those rods are pretzel's or not.
They are part of a real light spinning Assy. So I hope they are fine.
Can't imagine a little 318 hurting them..
Posted By: radar

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/06/14 05:23 AM

I have a set of SIR rods that you can have for shipping haha after breaking the Eagle cast crank I'm done with their budget items. I'm planning to hang them up as garage art.. You just have to trade me some good mopar garage art to hang up

The held up to around 400hp 400tq for a bunch of years- strong enough to break my crank! No spun bearings...

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/06/14 12:33 PM

Quote:

keep using them and good luck, it's about cost and quality for the extra few bucks to go H beam it's a no brainier. How many sets have we seen on here turn out bad? You can see the poor quality by looking at them.

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/06/14 12:34 PM

Quote:

The little enginemaster's 318 I am fixing to put in my Duster has Scat I beam 6.20 Chevy rods in it. I will find out here soon if those rods are pretzel's or not.
They are part of a real light spinning Assy. So I hope they are fine.
Can't imagine a little 318 hurting them..

you are a brave man

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/06/14 01:48 PM

Thanks, I will stick with the Scats then, as I have done in the past and will continue to do.

I do think some of you missed the part that where I said it will be essentially a stock rebuild and not raced. This application wont be raced not even a little bit, and should never see over 5000 RPM ---- just my opinion anyhow.

I love how Quicktree never answered my question to his "they suck" statement, LOL.

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/06/14 04:31 PM

You must have missed where I said how many we have seen on here fail? Dan RIP performance only has showed several failed rods on basic stock builds. You can see and feel the poor quality. Just by looking at them I wouldn't use them. I have seen and touched them and they suck IMO so take that for whatever it's worth don't come Back whining if when they do.

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/06/14 05:08 PM

I wouldn't run the Eagle SIR rods but the Scats are 4340 material.

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/06/14 05:09 PM

No problem here Quick, sorry if I kinda called you out singlely, but if you go back and read your specific posts, you were pretty vauge on the whole thing---which was why I wanted to know your reasoning. The post right above this actually has more info than your other ones. That's all and it is all good here.

Thanks all for the replies, I will use the Scats as I wanted too in the first place. I was just thinking of the guys wallet a little, but I didn't want to sacrifice quality if I could help it.
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/06/14 05:48 PM

Scat Cast 4" and I-Beams in the 408 I had built and sold.....The guy that bought it beats on it constantly....street / strip and it's still running strong.

Not a fan of over-spending when not needed

A lot of people cringed when we went with Compstar Components in the 565 as well, but it's still making laps and winning races and spent 2-years in Top Sportsman running 4.70's with a bunch of spray....now it's back in a local index car

Rickster
Posted By: Porter67

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/06/14 05:52 PM

I was just thinking of the guys wallet a little.

Actually you should be thinking of your wallet as well as your clients, as a rod failure in a modest build should not happen and you would be in the ringer if an sir rod failed.

Good info here from real world use. That is why I joined this site.

Some eagle parts are simply proven to be junk, sir rods and there cast crank are in that area.

The one shortcoming of the eagle H beam is if you like to road race, have a stick car or such where the motor sees on off, low/high/low rpm the small end bushing can wear quickly but when its time to replace the bushing itself you can use a better quality one.
Posted By: mshred

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/07/14 04:25 AM

I have never heard anything bad about the Scat I beams, a good rod...the Eagles on the other hand, I have heard of more then enough that you couldn't pay me to run them.

Ran a set of Scat I beam rods for an entire season- about 70-80 passes and even more street beatings. When I took them out they were in great shape.

I think the Scat's are the way to go in this situation, thats my
Posted By: FlyFish

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/07/14 01:20 PM

Scat I-beams in my 410 stroker, 5 years on this build, no problems, mid 10's, driven hard on a regular basis.

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/07/14 01:58 PM

I think most of you are missing the point, what is the cost of I beams? what is the cost of H beams? is it really worth it?

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/07/14 02:48 PM

Quote:

I think most of you are missing the point, what is the cost of I beams? what is the cost of H beams? is it really worth it?

Plenty of high dollar rods are I beam, such as Oliver, etc, etc.
Posted By: Porter67

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/07/14 04:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Very true but thats another level of quality/cost.

Ive not done many I beams in the last 10 years, and used olivers actually.

I dont recall the bobweight or if the crank took metal.

Do the scat assemblies get weight taken or added to the crank, most common H beam builds seem to have some taken from the crank, if the I beams called for weight added then, hmmm.

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/07/14 04:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Do the scat assemblies get weight taken or added to the crank, most common H beam builds seem to have some taken from the crank, if the I beams called for weight added then, hmmm.

My point was that Quicktree seemed to try and make the point that an I beam type rod was an inherantly bad design. That has zero truth to it

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/07/14 05:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

absolutely and at that level they are the best, but this cheap chinese junk i wouldn't put in a lawn mower. now the comp series stuff is pretty good, the H beam chinese rods are decent. the I beams are crap. the ones i have seen look like pot metal of old.

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/07/14 05:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My point was that Quicktree seemed to try and make the point that an I beam type rod was an inherantly bad design. That has zero truth to it

i never said that at all........
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/07/14 05:26 PM

Quicktree you need to get your hand on a SCAT I beam before you condemn them, if the Chinese I beams you looked at look like pot metal you have not seen the SCAT you have seen the eagle. They are waaaaaaay better than the eagle all the way around from the bolt quality the material selection the machining quality, you don't have to pay extra to get a bronze bushed small end...

A SCAT I beam is a lot lighter than an H beam and will need material removed from most cranks, more so than the H beam.

To answer the OP question, run the SCAT if you can but don't forget to add in the cost of balancing, a step that could be(but really should not if possible) skipped on a tight budget with stock rods.

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/07/14 05:34 PM

Quote:

You implied in that statement that if you can get an H beam for the price of an I beam, why wouldn't you do so.
IMO, same weight rod to same weight rod, of same material, the I beam has some strength benefits.
Btw, are you aware the Scat I beams are 4340 forgings,
The Eagle SIR rods are 5140

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/07/14 05:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You implied in that statement that if you can get an H beam for the price of an I beam, why wouldn't you do so.
IMO, same weight rod to same weight rod, of same material, the I beam has some strength benefits.

we were talking chinese crap, not oliver quality

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/07/14 05:43 PM

Quote:

Quicktree you need to get your hand on a SCAT I beam before you condemn them, if the Chinese I beams you looked at look like pot metal you have not seen the SCAT you have seen the eagle. They are waaaaaaay better than the eagle all the way around from the bolt quality the material selection the machining quality, you don't have to pay extra to get a bronze bushed small end...

A SCAT I beam is a lot lighter than an H beam and will need material removed from most cranks, more so than the H beam.

To answer the OP question, run the SCAT if you can but don't forget to add in the cost of balancing, a step that could be(but really should not if possible) skipped on a tight budget with stock rods.

run them if you like them, i have seen both and for the price difference i wouldn't use them

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/07/14 05:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Doesn't matter what price point ..... 4340 is inherantly stronger than 5140, and there is no design liability in using an I beam over an H beam.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/07/14 05:55 PM

A I beam versus a H beam rods made by the same company and with the same material for the same applictaion, the I beams are usually stronger and more expensive than the H beams A stock replacement rod is a different story than the I beams or H beams cap screw rods though

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/07/14 06:07 PM

There is one thing that some are bringing up.. the
steel its made from 4340 or 5140... none of use will
know what the material really is due to you can only
check that when the steel is being made... we do
know that Chinese steels were/are not the same as
US steel due to not being controlled as it is here..
so what are you really getting for steel... we just
have to take their word on it... everyone will run
what they want and thats fine.. go for it

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/07/14 06:34 PM

H-beams don't fail either?

The assertion that an H is a better piece from these chinese factories is great folly. Seen more failed H beam rods than Scat I beams.

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/07/14 07:02 PM

H-beams, I-beams...put them together what do you get? HI beams..........thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week.

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/07/14 07:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Doesn't matter what price point ..... 4340 is inherantly stronger than 5140, and there is no design liability in using an I beam over an H beam.

I hope it works for you
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/07/14 07:07 PM

Quote:

H-beams, I-beams...put them together what do you get? HI beams..........thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week.

Add an O at the beginning and an O at the end and you have OHIO. And that's where the Cleveland Browns come from and they ALWAYS fail.
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/07/14 07:34 PM

Quote:

There is one thing that some are bringing up.. the
steel its made from 4340 or 5140... none of use will
know what the material really is due to you can only
check that when the steel is being made... we do
know that Chinese steels were/are not the same as
US steel due to not being controlled as it is here..
so what are you really getting for steel... we just
have to take their word on it... everyone will run
what they want and thats fine.. go for it

Actualy there is measuring devices that will let you measure what a piece of steel actualy is made up of and these devices are extremely accurat bad part is the price that i doubt anyone outside of medical or weapons industry will ever be able to aford so steel can actualy be checked after manufacturing. cant remeber what these devices are named but the one i know of is known as the "cancer gun" point it at someone within close range and pull the trigger for X amount of seconds and there is guaranted cancer coming.

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/07/14 07:37 PM

Quote:

The assertion that an H is a better piece from these chinese factories is great folly. Seen more failed H beam rods than Scat I beams.

thats because the H beam is probably used about 90 to 1 vs the I beam. so you honestly think The scat I beam is a better rod than the H? and if the H is that big of a failure what do you think the I will do

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/07/14 07:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

thats because the H beam is probably used about 90 to 1 vs the I beam. so you honestly think The scat I beam is a better rod than the H? and if the H is that big of a failure what do you think the I will do

Boy.... You truly are hard headed, aren't you? And continue to miss the point.
An H beam rod of XX material has NO advantage over an I beam rod of the same XX material. It becomes the weight and quality of forging, and the material used.
This post started about the Eagle SIR rod compared to the Scat I beam
In the case of those two rods, the Scat is made out of better material.
You can get great H beam rods that will live at 2000 horsepower. You can get I beam rods that will live at 2000 horsepower also.

You seem to have this warped thought that an I beam is inherently weak, and an H beam inherently strong....... Your wrong

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/07/14 10:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

An H beam rod of XX material has NO advantage over an I beam rod of the same XX material. It becomes the weight and quality of forging, and the material used.
You can get great H beam rods that will live at 2000 horsepower. You can get I beam rods that will live at 2000 horsepower also.

You seem to have this warped thought that an I beam is inherently weak, and an H beam inherently strong....... Your wrong

about as hard headed as you let me make myself as clear as I can. AGAIN in high quality parts such as oliver etc the I beam is stronger and the preferred choice. now here we are talking cheap chinese crap like eagle scat etc, imo (this is my opinion nothing more) the H beam is a better rod. ask yourself which one is the cheapest? now why would the I beam be better? I wouldn't give you a plug nickel for a scat or eagle I beam. now you can try to convince yourself they are great rods sense you just bought one if you like I really hope it lasts you a long time and I am wrong.

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/07/14 11:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

about as hard headed as you let me make myself as clear as I can. AGAIN in high quality parts such as oliver etc the I beam is stronger and the preferred choice. now here we are talking cheap chinese crap like eagle scat etc, imo (this is my opinion nothing more) the H beam is a better rod. ask yourself which one is the cheapest? now why would the I beam be better? I wouldn't give you a plug nickel for a scat or eagle I beam. now you can try to convince yourself they are great rods sense you just bought one if you like I really hope it lasts you a long time and I am wrong.

You are wrong Tony...but it's okay, it happens sometimes

Rickster

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/07/14 11:23 PM

I wonder why 440source quit selling their I beem rods.

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/07/14 11:27 PM

Quote:

Since when does 440 Source have anything to do with Scat Products.....?????????????????????

Rickster

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/07/14 11:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You are wrong Tony...but it's okay, it happens sometimes

Rickster

sure, everyone should just save the $100 bucks and buy the cheaper I beam. no thanks I'll stick with the H beam.

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/07/14 11:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Since when does 440 Source have anything to do with Scat Products.....?????????????????????

Rickster

If you want to put these in your engine go for it.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/scat-pro-comp-i-beam-connecting-rods

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/07/14 11:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Rickster

http://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/scat-pro-comp-i-beam-connecting-rods

they love them for some reason

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/07/14 11:36 PM

These H-beam connecting rods are the strongest Scat connecting rods available. These Scat H-beam connecting rods are perfect for supercharged and nitrous applications. These rods incorporate a special doweled cap for specific cap-to-rod alignment and are profiled with extra clearance for stroker applications.

Warranty

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/07/14 11:38 PM

Quote:

These H-beam connecting rods are the strongest Scat connecting rods available. These Scat H-beam connecting rods are perfect for supercharged and nitrous applications. These rods incorporate a special doweled cap for specific cap-to-rod alignment and are profiled with extra clearance for stroker applications.

Warranty

sorry but they are wrong, moparts members know more than they do

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/07/14 11:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Rickster

they love them for some reason

CHEAP, cheap, cheap.

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/07/14 11:47 PM

I don't think anyone is saying the SCAT I beam is stronger than the SCAT H beam. What we are saying is the SCAT I beam is cheaper and better than re-doing the stock rods witch are very strong, just heavy and not as strong as the SCAT I beam. The eagle I beam is worse than a stock rod, they look like the were made by Burt Monroe in his shed out of old buick parts melted down, only he would have probably made them better than Eagle.
Posted By: mshred

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/07/14 11:50 PM

I don't think anyone in here is saying that the I beams are the end all be all rods (Scat anyways). The original thread question is whether they will suffice for a stockish rebuild, and I think that everyone can agree they will. Can they take some abuse in more then stock applications? Sure they can...Are they the strongest things out there at the entry level stuff? No, and yes the H beams (atleast offshore forgings) are probably a better bet if bigger power is in the plans.

Again, its all in the context. I wouldn't hesitate to put the Scat I beams I have kicking around in a 500hp motor. Call me brave or pro chinese or whatever, but I think they are a nice piece for what they are. That said, I opted for Scat H beams in my stroker since I was hoping for more then 500hp plus I use nitrous as well.

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/07/14 11:55 PM

Quote:

I don't think anyone is saying the SCAT I beam is stronger than the SCAT H beam. What we are saying is the SCAT I beam is cheaper and better than re-doing the stock rods witch are very strong, just heavy and not as strong as the SCAT I beam. The eagle I beam is worse than a stock rod, they look like the were made by Burt Monroe in his shed out of old buick parts melted down, only he would have probably made them better than Eagle.

bullcrap I was just told they were stronger.

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/08/14 12:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

A lot of back-stepping going on here. Where's that Ricksterhemi guy at. I wouldn't put a procomp distributor in my car let alone their rods.
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/08/14 12:36 AM

Quote:

The 440 Source I beam rods were not made by Scat.

As a general comment,I have a ton of Scat I beam rod motors out there without failure. The Pro Comp rod is a favorite amongst Chevy guys,both big block and small block. The circle track guys beat the crap out of them,way worse than most of the drag and street engines on here ever thought of. They really are a good little rod. They offer 7/16 bolt upgrade,and because of their lite weight,they take a good beating.Carry on.

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/08/14 12:56 AM

Have done a lot of Internet reading about rods today....... Conclusion: both I beam and H beam rods are run in ultra high output stuff. Different manufacturers carry one or the other or both .
Going BACK again to MY initial comment, the Scat 4340 I beam is a better rod than the 5140 Eagle SIR rod.
The Scats are in the motor I am installing and shouldn't be a factor at the power level I will make. If I thought they were I wouldn't have bought the motor.
I ran Eagle H beams( 4340) arrow billet rods, and compstars in previous engines.... All made more power.
Is a Scat I beam a trick rod.... No... But it's not because of its I beam design.
Manley's top shelf stuff is I beam
The Scat rods with an ultralight spinning assy at 6500rpm and at or under 500 horse should be fine

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/08/14 01:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

A lot of back-stepping going on here. Where's that Ricksterhemi guy at. I wouldn't put a procomp distributor in my car let alone their rods.

Ricksters right here and he never said or agreed that I-Beams are Strnoger than H-Beams so don't try and say I did.....all I said was that for my build H-Beams weren't needed and I'll stand by that....The Scat I-Beams in my build are hang'n strong as per my engine builders suggestion and if you've never heard of "Mike Thompson Racing Engines" out of Naples....just go to any track in the south and you will most likely find several at any venue

You two might want to look into reading comprehension classes

Not to mention Mike was the National Top Sportsman Champion a cple of years ago in IHRA running his N/A 605 BB Chevy

Rickster

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/08/14 01:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ricksters right here and he never said or agreed that I-Beams are Strnoger than H-Beams so don't try and say I did.....all I said was that for my build H-Beams weren't needed and I'll stand by that....The Scat I-Beams in my build are hang'n strong as per my engine builders suggestion and if you've never heard of "Mike Thompson Racing Engines" out of Naples....just go to any track in the south and you will most likely find several at any venue

Not to mention Mike was the National Top Sportsman Champion a cple of years ago in IHRA running his N/A 605 BB Chevy

Rickster

ok then please point out what part of this is wrong?

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/08/14 01:09 AM

I run Eagle H-beams in all my engines.. BUT as I said
before.. these are OLD H-beams and back when I bought
them they looked great and even measured good.. but
I believe that their quality went down hill in the past
years.. you hear of people breaking lots of Eagle stuff
now days... on my junk those old H-beams have been
to 9600 rpm.. not on a regular basis but its been
more than a few times... I dont know what I would
buy now days but it would be a H-beam.. BUT thats
just me... years ago I also broke a Manley I-beam
but I can break ANYTHING

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/08/14 01:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Rickster

ok then please point out what part of this is wrong?

Hey Einstein.... "basic 340 rebuild" Does this ring a bell

Done here....carry on

Rickster

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/08/14 01:21 AM

you still didn't point out what was wrong, you know why? it wasn't wrong. the H beam is a better rod. and for a $100 bucks one would be crazy not to upgrade.........
now in B3's case they were shooting for as much power as they could so they went with the cheaper lighter rod. I am guessing they were not worried about how long it lasted.

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/08/14 01:49 AM

Quote:

you still didn't point out what was wrong, you know why? it wasn't wrong. the H beam is a better rod. and for a $100 bucks one would be crazy not to upgrade.........
now in B3's case they were shooting for as much power as they could so they went with the cheaper lighter rod. I am guessing they were not worried about how long it lasted.

I'm kinda shocked to see some of the guys recommending a known weak link when for a few buck more you can buy a better, stronger H beam rod. But then again that's why I build my own engines and have done so for many many years. I'll do my own research thank-you and when I see failures during my weekly trips to the track that research goes a long, long way. That way I can weed out the show pieces, cruiser, and the "you should see the car I have at home guys"

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/08/14 02:29 AM

You know I got to thinking " if SCAT I beam rods break there should be some pics on google". Well after looking through 1000s of pics I can not find a broken SCAT I beam on google. Plenty of busted Eagle SIRs though

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/08/14 02:31 AM

Quote:

You know I got to thinking " if SCAT I beam rods break there should be some pics on google". Well after looking through 1000s of pics I can not find a broken SCAT I beam on google. Plenty of busted Eagle SIRs though

heck yea, a $300 bullet proof rod. I am in

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/08/14 02:55 AM

Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/08/14 08:25 AM

Quote:

Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/08/14 03:07 PM

I think after reading this, I'm gonna need some JIM BEAM....holy cow.....
Posted By: WadeMetzinger

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/08/14 03:40 PM

I'm in the process if building a 500+ HP 416 and I'm going to use one of SCAT's rotating assemblies. I ordered the forged kit and they use to come with the H beam rods but they now come with the I-beam rods, forged crank and ICON pistons. I did some research and spoke to some Mopar engine builder and they said the I-beams are good rods but over 500hp they would tend to use the H-beams so I sent the first one back and got the kit with H-beams. There wasn't much differance in the price and most of the cost was because Mallory had to be added for the H-beams.

So what I leaned from the builder I spoke to is the if your shooting to 500hp or below for racing or under 600 on the street the I-beams will work just fine. I was told the I-beams are forged and the H-beams are billet rods.

Here are some picture of both SCAT rods.

Attached picture 8201766-image.jpg

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/08/14 03:41 PM

Pic 2

Attached picture 8201769-image.jpg

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/08/14 03:42 PM

Pic 3

Attached picture 8201770-image.jpg

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/08/14 03:43 PM

Pic 4

Attached picture 8201772-image.jpg
Posted By: mr_340

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/08/14 04:29 PM

Quote:

I think Rickster is on the right track, but I think he needs to calculate the moments of inertia for Iyy in addition to Ixx that he did. I had this discussion with a friend in Tampa about which plane you think has the highest stresses/loads. If the piston is not centered on the rod, then maybe the H-beam looks more attractive? I never did the calculations for a rod, but I ran a similar analysis on a rocker arm design since I think they put the slot in the top (remnants of the Shivy ball stud arrangement) instead of more like the Chrysler forged rocker arms. The top slot did a lot better than I thought it would and actually was slightly better than the I-beam design.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/08/14 05:03 PM

Enough with the numbers, the H rod is sexier.

And my signature is in full force on this thread.

PS went back and looked at the "numbers", they state a "stiffness" result, shouldn't it be explained/discussed that both those designs have an axis that is stiffer 90 degrees opposite the other by design, and which direction that added stiffness is beneficial and desired, is what makes the choice so varied?

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/08/14 05:19 PM

Quote:

I'm in the process if building a 500+ HP 416 and I'm going to use one of SCAT's rotating assemblies. I ordered the forged kit and they use to come with the H beam rods but they now come with the I-beam rods, forged crank and ICON pistons. I did some research and spoke to some Mopar engine builder and they said the I-beams are good rods but over 500hp they would tend to use the H-beams so I sent the first one back and got the kit with H-beams. There wasn't much differance in the price and most of the cost was because Mallory had to be added for the H-beams.

So what I leaned from the builder I spoke to is the if your shooting to 500hp or below for racing or under 600 on the street the I-beams will work just fine. I was told the I-beams are forged and the H-beams are billet rods.

Here are some picture of both SCAT rods.

you are a smart man I think it's more of an RPM thing vs HP but for the price difference why would anyone want the chinese I beam? if it was huge price difference I would understand. but for a few bucks more they are

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/08/14 05:30 PM

Quote:

...............Mopar engine builder and they said the I-beams are good rods but over 500hp they would tend to use the H-beams so I sent the first one back and got the kit with H-beams. There wasn't much differance in the price and most of the cost was because Mallory had to be added for the H-beams.

This is the main reason I went with the Scat I-beams. With a light piston you probably won't need any mallory in the crank (mine didn't). If you go with the H-beams you will probably need a few slugs of mallory in the crank...my friends setup (similar to mine) with H-beams needed $300 worth of mallory to balance.

The Scat I-beams are rated to 650hp. As long as you have a light piston you should be fine well north of 500hp.
Posted By: Airwoofer

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/08/14 05:37 PM

Yeah, my 416 with Scat rotating assy needed mallory metal to balance it also. It has H beams I think. So does my 540 but it has forged Eagle stuff including H beams. I couldn't find what the 7.1 chebby rods were made of but they claim the kit is structurally good enough for 1500 HP.

At least they are steel rods so I don't have to worry as much about snaping one as I shut down cause my car doesn't have a N after the 3.

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/08/14 06:12 PM

So much stupid in this thread.

Race engines vs a stock style rebuild. Yep same parts are required!

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/08/14 06:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I think Rickster is on the right track, but I think he needs to calculate the moments of inertia for Iyy in addition to Ixx that he did. I had this discussion with a friend in Tampa about which plane you think has the highest stresses/loads. If the piston is not centered on the rod, then maybe the H-beam looks more attractive? I never did the calculations for a rod, but I ran a similar analysis on a rocker arm design since I think they put the slot in the top (remnants of the Shivy ball stud arrangement) instead of more like the Chrysler forged rocker arms. The top slot did a lot better than I thought it would and actually was slightly better than the I-beam design.

HYPOTHETICAL is the key word here.....just found it interesting.....I never stated one was better than the other....just that regarding to OP's initial post....I-beams would be fine and even $100 bucks can make or break a decision to build or not....those hundreds add up quick.

I saved a bunch listening to my builder on the 565 for the roadster...he made it affordable and it's still kicking azz today....not every situation deserves the best of the best was my point from the beginning......

Rickster
Posted By: KOS

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/09/14 06:15 AM

scat i-beams here in the wifes stang.....662rwhp with about 4yrs of abuse.just freshened the motor after hurting a few icon pistons...the rest of the motor was perfect.
Posted By: knyech1

Re: Scat or Eagle for I beam rods - 07/20/14 12:42 AM

I run consistent 11's with my Scat I-beams. I will trust them till I get into the low 10's. I have had too many people's engines fail with Eagle junk, and Eagle tell them tough s%$&, you are on your own. Will never purchase an Eagle piece, and will do whatever I can to prevent others from purchasing their junk as well.
© 2024 Moparts Forums