Moparts

If you were to build a Big Block Wedge......

Posted By: 1320Dart

If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 05:09 PM

If you were to build a Big Block Wedge to go drag racing, What would you build, and how? You also don't have unlimited funds.

Attached picture 8194895-IMG_0670.JPG
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 05:25 PM

What parts do you have now ?
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 05:51 PM

Well I do not have unlimited funds for sure. But question number one had better be what is my budget? Next what is my goal? I have had plenty of engines over the years and those are the two most important questions you must answer before you start.

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 06:09 PM

Quote:

I mainly wanted to hear the general consensus of what the guru's on here would build and use.(I know there are quite a few guru's on here)

Parts I have;
Heads, Block on order, Rods, Crank(but wanted to use a different one if budget allowed), Pistons and cam are on hold. Waiting on other info and the block before ordering those. I have many other parts to get it finished up.

I could be going the wrong way with my attempt. So I started this post to be a fly on the wall and learn a thing or two
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 06:15 PM

You still need to be a little more specific. Many people build stock block big blocks that make 600hp, others making 900+. Any of these could be considered drag racing engines, but are drastically different.

Goals and budget... 8's, 9's, 10's?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 06:18 PM

Buiild the biggest C.I. motor you can and buy the best heads availble to achieve high HP and torque output Al and I both know that you can achieve over 1000 HP from a 500 + C.I. Mopar based motor with one carb. on race gas
Posted By: 451Cuda

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 06:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I mainly wanted to hear the general consensus of what the guru's on here would build and use.(I know there are quite a few guru's on here)

Parts I have;
Heads, Block on order, Rods, Crank(but wanted to use a different one if budget allowed), Pistons and cam are on hold. Waiting on other info and the block before ordering those. I have many other parts to get it finished up.

I could be going the wrong way with my attempt. So I started this post to be a fly on the wall and learn a thing or two

Be more specific...which heads, any porting done? Which block/crank/rods? Intended purpose? Vehicle it will go into? Weight? Trans? Chassis? Is E85 available in your area?
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 06:24 PM

I guess it would depend on what it is going in and what your goals are.

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 06:25 PM

Quote:

Well I do not have unlimited funds for sure. But question number one had better be what is my budget? Next what is my goal? I have had plenty of engines over the years and those are the two most important questions you must answer before you start.

Well my engine in my car was not what it was supposed to be. I pretty much have to start over. I've sold the motor already. I'm in pretty deep and cant back out now. I'd love like hell to be 8.0's. But like I've said before, I don't want to be inside this thing all the time. I know it can be done.

I wanted to mainly hear what you and the other Mopar guru's would build and how and what you'd use etc....

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 06:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Parts I have;

Be more specific...which heads, any porting done? Which block/crank/rods? Intended purpose? Vehicle it will go into? Weight? Trans? Chassis? Is E85 available in your area?

Original B1 heads. I dont have flow numbers yet, but they should be around 420's. I have had a KB block with a 4.500 bore on order since Jan.
Aluminum rods. I want get a Crower crank. I will be running carburated alcohol. I've got a 68 Dart. It weighed 2836 with me and the Mega block that was in it. It has a glide and is a big tire car. It is Fully caged.

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 06:58 PM

Quote:

You still need to be a little more specific. Many people build stock block big blocks that make 600hp, others making 900+. Any of these could be considered drag racing engines, but are drastically different.

Goals and budget... 8's, 9's, 10's?

8's

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 06:59 PM

Quote:

I guess it would depend on what it is going in and what your goals are.

Attached picture 8195006-IMG_0668.JPG

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 07:10 PM

Quote:

Buiild the biggest C.I. motor you can and buy the best heads availble to achieve high HP and torque output Al and I both know that you can achieve over 1000 HP from a 500 + C.I. Mopar based motor with one carb. on race gas

572 on alcohol and Carb. Original B1 heads that flow around 420. But that's where i'm second guessing myself. My heads may not support the C.I.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 07:13 PM

That's a loaded question We see many racers that build beyond their budget and abilities because they are never satisfied once they attain a certain level of performance.They never consider the cost of maintaince and repair at higher performance levels nor do they consider all the other related cost associated with the faster classes.The cost of maintaining and operating a 10 second car and a 8 second car are miles apart.As mentioned earlier get a solid plan of what you want to accomplish,plot the venture step by step as far as cost verses your budget.Remember to include any and all other factors besides the engine.Usually engine upgrade means chassis and driveline upgrades.The cost can sprial out of control.
Most importantly know your skill and ability to be able to handle a faster car.Many get in over their heads find that they get a lesson they didn't intend on learning.
What ever you do think it through before starting the project and good luck.
Posted By: Airwoofer

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 07:17 PM

I am kinda in the same boat as you so here is what thoughts I can offer...

What do you want to be doing? Track only, then what class, index are you gonna run or is it a bracket race or just a TnT toy? If you also want to drive on the street then things like cooling, fuel type and capacity matter.

What gas are you planning to run? Big difference cost wise between 93 pump swill and C-16. I would suggest building for the cheapest fuel that will accomplish your goals. C-16 in a street driven car isn't very practical, especially if the tank is small like a race car.

So with a goal in mind, with the weight and build os the car/chassis you can estimate how much and what kind of power you will need.

Figure those things out then you can ask what you should build, IMO.

Edit: I typed that in before I read the above few posts which said basically the same thing.

If your heads do flow 420 then they should support plenty of 572" power. My guess is 900+, or somewhere around that.

The maintenance thing is huge. You wanna be thrashing on the motor between runs or relaxing and enjoying the race?

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 07:28 PM

Well still kinda open ended. I went 9.04 at 150 in a 3470lb 67 Valiant with a set of originals that flowed 415-420cfm with a stock block, Ohio crank, GRP rods, Indy oil pump and Bullet roller with 286/290 on a 113lsa with life at @800", unported single 4 intake and a out of the box Holley Dominator. Was a fairly budget minded build and in a 2800lb ish car would certainly run 8's with no issues. It was a father son project when my kid was still playing HS baseball so racing time was limited. We built the engine to get an idea on what would work well with plans to upgrade some components later to better pieces and more power. Made some cam and carb changes along the way and had a good handle on where to go with it. Ended up deciding to go super class racing instead after baseball and eventually sold the car. BTW if anyone in the Lincoln, NE area knows the car I would like try and get it back.

My point being some sort of budget it required to make some decisions on what direction lead. My advice is buy the best components you can afford. Running 8's at 2800lbbs is not rocket science. 900 hp will get you in the 8's easily. Your heads can support 950 relatively easy but if you want more you will either need to spin it harder or look for better heads. 950 in a great working car at sea level will net you sub 8.50 times. In Boise maybe 8.60's. FWIW my Barracuda at 2975 went 155 in Boise at the S/ST index of 11.15

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 07:39 PM

Let me ad one other tidbit. The Valiant motor was built on a budget, maybe had $16K in the entire deal. Meanwhile the engine in the Barracuda was closer to $35K. There was maybe 125-150hp difference in them. But those HP come at a price for sure. I am currently working on a new bullet that will be 150ish HP better than the last one and it will eclipse $40K. If I had a brain I would have bought a used 5.0 bore space deal and freshened it up. I would be dollars ahead and have more power than this Mopar will make. Call me stupid for keeping it all Mopar..Just saying it can get expensive very quickly.
Posted By: 72chrgrally

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 07:48 PM

Quote:

If you were to build a Big Block Wedge to go drag racing, What would you build, and how?

Low deck alloy block, B1 originals, with a gear driven procharger. Cubic inch would depend on pound per cube weight penalty when I win the lottery.

Steve
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 07:54 PM

4.500 Bore x 4.250 stroke, 540 CID, B1 org, 2800 lbs, single four-barrel (a tunnel ram 2x4 would be nice), and 7500 rpm should run 8.5 or even better if the car works well. What is the chassis best 60ft and ET/mph?

An Enderle alcohol injection would be nice, I like my Ron's Flying Toilet injection too, but an alcohol carb will get the job done.

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 07:54 PM

Quote:

Well still kinda open ended. I went 9.04 at 150 in a 3470lb 67 Valiant with a set of originals that flowed 415-420cfm with a stock block, Ohio crank, GRP rods, Indy oil pump and Bullet roller with 286/290 on a 113lsa with life at @800", unported single 4 intake and a out of the box Holley Dominator. Was a fairly budget minded build and in a 2800lb ish car would certainly run 8's with no issues. It was a father son project when my kid was still playing HS baseball so racing time was limited. We built the engine to get an idea on what would work well with plans to upgrade some components later to better pieces and more power. Made some cam and carb changes along the way and had a good handle on where to go with it. Ended up deciding to go super class racing instead after baseball and eventually sold the car. BTW if anyone in the Lincoln, NE area knows the car I would like try and get it back.

My point being some sort of budget it required to make some decisions on what direction lead. My advice is buy the best components you can afford. Running 8's at 2800lbbs is not rocket science. 900 hp will get you in the 8's easily. Your heads can support 950 relatively easy but if you want more you will either need to spin it harder or look for better heads. 950 in a great working car at sea level will net you sub 8.50 times. In Boise maybe 8.60's. FWIW my Barracuda at 2975 went 155 in Boise at the S/ST index of 11.15

Hi Al!
I know that your not a big fan of C.I.
So knowing what you know and knowing the parts I have (mostly), what direction or build would you do? BTW I will be using carbureted alcohol FWIW.

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 08:01 PM

Quote:

4.500 Bore x 4.250 stroke, 540 CID, B1 org, 2800 lbs, single four-barrel (a tunnel ram 2x4 would be nice), and 7500 rpm should run 8.5 or even better if the car works well. What is the chassis best 60ft and ET/mph?

An Enderle alcohol injection would be nice, I like my Ron's Flying Toilet injection too, but an alcohol carb will get the job done.

With 4.5 x 4.375 Mega Block (wore out)
9.27 @ 143.35 and a 1.31 60'

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 08:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If you were to build a Big Block Wedge to go drag racing, What would you build, and how?

Low deck alloy block, B1 originals, with a gear driven procharger. Cubic inch would depend on pound per cube weight penalty when I win the lottery.

Steve

I've got an F1R ProCharger. Its not enough for a 572.
I've only had it for mocking up on a small block. I'll be getting rid of it and the small block cog kit.

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 08:15 PM

Quote:

That's a loaded question We see many racers that build beyond their budget and abilities because they are never satisfied once they attain a certain level of performance.They never consider the cost of maintaince and repair at higher performance levels nor do they consider all the other related cost associated with the faster classes.The cost of maintaining and operating a 10 second car and a 8 second car are miles apart.As mentioned earlier get a solid plan of what you want to accomplish,plot the venture step by step as far as cost verses your budget.Remember to include any and all other factors besides the engine.Usually engine upgrade means chassis and driveline upgrades.The cost can sprial out of control.
Most importantly know your skill and ability to be able to handle a faster car.Many get in over their heads find that they get a lesson they didn't intend on learning.

I dont mind building something to grow into or being able to mod up and go faster. I just hate buying things twice. Trying to plan ahead like that. I've been in 9 second cars for a while now. Never been into the 8's
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 08:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Steve

I've only had it for mocking up on a small block. I'll be getting rid of it and the small block cog kit.

I know your waiting on your KB block but what is it
bored to.. a bit smaller cubes and the F1 might meet
your needs.. or sell off the F1 and pick up a F2...
shoot me a price for the F1 and is it with mounting
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 08:23 PM

It sounds like you are getting the right parts gathered together. My 572 ran some 8.40's@159mph with 440-1 heads, almost pump gas compression, and a cam ground for my B1 heads. My Daytona was around 2350 pounds. Hopefully running some 7.90's-8'0 when its out with my B1 heads, more compression, and probably alcohol.

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 08:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I dont mind building something to grow into or being able to mod up and go faster. I just hate buying things twice. Trying to plan ahead like that. I've been in 9 second cars for a while now. Never been into the 8's

Another thing to consider is will you want to spray the motor eventually. A little spray can do wonders I am told. More can do, well... more. My car is supposed to go from 6.30 to 5 teen with a single stage. I haven't even tried the juice yet. I wish I had built the 540 so it could be sprayed.

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 08:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Steve

I know your waiting on your KB block but what is it
bored to.. a bit smaller cubes and the F1 might meet
your needs.. or sell off the F1 and pick up a F2...
shoot me a price for the F1 and is it with mounting

The KB will be 4.500 bore.

The F1R has the cog belt kit for a small block. Has the Extreme velocity hat, extra bottom pulleys and I think an extra top pulley too. I black hard anodized all the cog bracketing/housing.

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 08:46 PM

It is not that I am not a fan of cubic inches. It is that with Mopar bore spacing you are kinda limited in what we can do. We don't have parts nor are we going to get them to build a GOOD big cube motor. If we could get a good 4.600 bore block it would help some. Bore makes HP not stroke, think we have been here before.

I am building my first, and likely last big stroke Mopar. We will see if it is worth the effort, I am hoping I am pleasantly surprised with it. I will let everyone know how it turns out, both on the dyno and track. Happy to share any of my experiences for sure..

In your case with the heads you have I would stick to 4.25" stroke or less. Less meaning spin it harder. If you buy quality parts and put things together correctly there is no reason you cannot make close to 1000hp and do so reliably. I would go with a GOOD 4.25 crank, Callies at the least, aluminum rods, jesel belt and distributor, good oiling system, Manton pushrods, Isky EZ roll lifters, etc etc...

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 08:47 PM

Quote:

It sounds like you are getting the right parts gathered together. My 572 ran some 8.40's@159mph with 440-1 heads, almost pump gas compression, and a cam ground for my B1 heads. My Daytona was around 2350 pounds. Hopefully running some 7.90's-8'0 when its out with my B1 heads, more compression, and probably alcohol.

Wow that sounds really good!
But with my weight, and a tenth per 100lbs. That would put me at the 8.30 to 8.70 mark. That's counting on the same altitude too of corse.
I wouldn't be too upset at that though.

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 08:47 PM

Send me that F1R would be cool on my old D100

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 08:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Another thing to consider is will you want to spray the motor eventually. A little spray can do wonders I am told. More can do, well... more. My car is supposed to go from 6.30 to 5 teen with a single stage. I haven't even tried the juice yet. I wish I had built the 540 so it could be sprayed.

I'm not much of a fan of spray. I'd put some boost to it first. Which is not out of the question either.
My bucket list is 7.00 @ 200mph.
That will probably be the only way i'll get there.
Posted By: 440lebaron

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 08:57 PM

540 MEGA block 4.5 bore 4.25 stroke, 1050 dominator stage 6 heads .663 roller m1 intake
8.87 155 mph

1992 LEBARON 2500 lbs.

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 09:08 PM

I like seeing all the 4.500 x 4.250 540 engines here. That is how I did mine. I ought to dyno the thing before I put it in the Demon. Hopefully it will be reliable and low maintenance.

I have been told my 499 made 850 HP on the motor but it sure didn't feel like it to me on the track. Maybe my butt needs calibrating. It was a pretty serious build. Over 900 lift at the valves and it would rev up to 9000+, shift at 8600. Not low maintenance.

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 09:23 PM

Quote:

540 MEGA block 4.5 bore 4.25 stroke, 1050 dominator stage 6 heads .663 roller m1 intake
8.87 155 mph

What is the 540 in?

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 09:24 PM

Quote:

Send me that F1R would be cool on my old D100

That would be cool!

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 09:29 PM

Quote:

It is not that I am not a fan of cubic inches. It is that with Mopar bore spacing you are kinda limited in what we can do. We don't have parts nor are we going to get them to build a GOOD big cube motor. If we could get a good 4.600 bore block it would help some. Bore makes HP not stroke, think we have been here before.

I am building my first, and likely last big stroke Mopar. We will see if it is worth the effort, I am hoping I am pleasantly surprised with it. I will let everyone know how it turns out, both on the dyno and track. Happy to share any of my experiences for sure..

In your case with the heads you have I would stick to 4.25" stroke or less. Less meaning spin it harder. If you buy quality parts and put things together correctly there is no reason you cannot make close to 1000hp and do so reliably. I would go with a GOOD 4.25 crank, Callies at the least, aluminum rods, jesel belt and distributor, good oiling system, Manton pushrods, Isky EZ roll lifters, etc etc...

I'm really curious about the build that you and your Kid did.

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 09:48 PM

Quote:

I like seeing all the 4.500 x 4.250 540 engines here. That is how I did mine. I ought to dyno the thing before I put it in the Demon. Hopefully it will be reliable and low maintenance.

I have been told my 499 made 850 HP on the motor but it sure didn't feel like it to me on the track. Maybe my butt needs calibrating. It was a pretty serious build. Over 900 lift at the valves and it would rev up to 9000+, shift at 8600. Not low maintenance.

Oh wow, I don't want to be there.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 10:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Oh wow, I don't want to be there.

Me either. I baby my stuff so I can race weekly.

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 11:00 PM

That's why I pulled the 499 and am putting in the 540 that only has 700 valve lift. I street drive a bit also and the radiator for the 540 will be bigger than the little one the 499 uses. Next up after I see how the 540 runs with the Indy R2 cam and 13.9 (C-16 still) it will get lower compression and a milder cam so I can run it on pump swill. Will freshen up the 499 so I can trust it (came with the KOS car, but is supposed to be fresh) and get the header dents fixed. That motor on spray sent the 3150# car down the track in low to flat 8s and 175 MPH - back in the day.

So back to the OP, you have to decide what it is you want to do. The parts will follow that decision and the compromises you make. To me, fuel is a key thing to consider but if only for the track C-16 isn't that big a hassle, just $13.50 per gallon.

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 11:15 PM

Well we race mine plenty. Between brackets, S/ST S/C and the occasion Q16 and had no issues. If you do it right it will live. Mine saw 8300 plenty and we had basically zero maintenance other than oil changes. It currently is creeping up on 400 passes and still working fine with nothing more than oil changes and one valve spring change from guilt last year. I have checked the valves a few times but cannot tell you the last time I had adjust them.

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/02/14 11:45 PM

Quote:

That's why I pulled the 499 and am putting in the 540 that only has 700 valve lift. I street drive a bit also and the radiator for the 540 will be bigger than the little one the 499 uses. Next up after I see how the 540 runs with the Indy R2 cam and 13.9 (C-16 still) it will get lower compression and a milder cam so I can run it on pump swill. Will freshen up the 499 so I can trust it (came with the KOS car, but is supposed to be fresh) and get the header dents fixed. That motor on spray sent the 3150# car down the track in low to flat 8s and 175 MPH - back in the day.

So back to the OP, you have to decide what it is you want to do. The parts will follow that decision and the compromises you make. To me, fuel is a key thing to consider but if only for the track C-16 isn't that big a hassle, just $13.50 per gallon.

My last motor ran C-16.
Here in Idaho I was paying over $17 a gallon. So my next motor will be given alcohol. Even at twice the amount used, it's still cheaper than C-16
Posted By: 72chrgrally

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/03/14 03:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Steve

That F1R would probably be real happy on my 432, and it's a legal blower for the class........
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/03/14 04:38 AM

I didn't give this thread much of a chance when it started, but this has been a pretty good discussion. When I started playing this game 30 years ago, without the internet, and mopar specific magazines. I went to the track, and talked to the Mopar guys who were running twelves, and the ones running elevens, and rare few in the tens, and the rare few who's street cars would run 13's and then go high elevens with this crazy stuff called nitrous. I didn't just talk to the successful ones, I talked to the guys who broke often as well... some of those conversations were the most enlightening!

All these years later, it's the same. I've learned far more from watching guys on this board over a long period of time, than I have from just asking a specific question. Al is gold mine of info because he's not afraid to repurpose a given combo and really push the parameters of the design beyond the little box that common mopar knowledge is willing to accept.

As was stated earlier, 8's are fairly easy to attain with the common Mopar combo's if you're under 3k in weight. I've been there with an Edelbrock RPM, flat tappet, 440...and more nitrous than was likely prudent. I currently have an Indy Maxx low deck at 512 inches with Indy -1s, and I've pretty much decided that's it for me. I see many guys get over their heads chasing 7's with mopar stuff, and while it's attainable, I'm not willing to pay that price...The initial investment, or the time and money in upkeep.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/03/14 07:11 AM

For a budget build, I would try B1 heads, 512 lowdeck, 650 Comp flat tappet cam. If the newer Beehive springs will allow decent revs , it out to make some good power reasonably priced, and low maintenance to boot.
If I had a KB block to work with, same heads and cam, but 572 cubes to keep the revs down with the flat tappet cam.
Either engine combo could be upgraded to roller stuff down the road, as budget allows.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/03/14 01:39 PM

If 8's are your goal I'd look at boost. In the long run it will be cheaper and you'll have something you can putt around town in. Like cab said earlier, do the biggest CID you can, top it off w/ the best heads you can afford, then add about 14-16lbs of boost. If you are good at fabbing exhaust go turbo, if not look into a centrif blower unit.

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/03/14 01:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Steve

That F1R would probably be real happy on my 432, and it's a legal blower for the class........

I've got it up for sale

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/03/14 01:49 PM

Quote:

If 8's are your goal I'd look at boost. In the long run it will be cheaper and you'll have something you can putt around town in. Like cab said earlier, do the biggest CID you can, top it off w/ the best heads you can afford, then add about 14-16lbs of boost. If you are good at fabbing exhaust go turbo, if not look into a centrif blower unit.

I've got an F1R ProCharger. But its too small for a 572 or 556.

I had bought my B1's with the hope of super charging them at some point. I love blower cars. I just don't like the parts they seem to eat.

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/03/14 02:37 PM

Quote:

Would you mind sharing, or PM me, some build secrets of the motor you and your kid ran in your 67 Valiant?

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/08/14 03:33 PM

UPDATE-
I bought a set R&R Pro billet aluminum rods. Now I wonder how much clearance ill have between the 54mm cam and rod. R&R says that rod absolutely cannot be modified in any way. With out the block I can't even mock it up to check the clearance. So I still don't know if I'm putting a 556ci together or a 572.
Posted By: kens avenger

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/08/14 03:54 PM

I see not much has changed around here....
you might look into going with 2.350 intake valves in the B1 Org's.

PM me if you want to find out some more on B1's.last time i said some stuff on here all the no it alls gave me crap..LOL..
and i see it in this thread (no change) don't get me wrong there is some good here.. but most of the good has left ..

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/09/14 01:42 PM

Could you be more specific on your goals? There is a world of difference between 8.00s at 3,000 lbs or 8.90s at 2500 lbs. Like from 700 hp to over 1,000 hp. what do you think the car will weigh? Are you looking to run high 8s or 8.0s?
Since you are committed to the KB and the rods, it kinda boils down to how much you want to spend on the rest, and what you consider a good interval between stuff like spring changes, tear down, etc. A mild rate of lift roller cam and very good valve springs that is easy on parts ought to put you into the mid 8s with out a problem at 2500 lbs, for example, and not need much attention.

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/09/14 01:54 PM

Quote:

Could you be more specific on your goals? There is a world of difference between 8.00s at 3,000 lbs or 8.90s at 2500 lbs. Like from 700 hp to over 1,000 hp. what do you think the car will weigh? Are you looking to run high 8s or 8.0s?

my Problem Child (my Dart) with me and a Mega-Block, it weighs 2836.
I have a KB on order. So it will weigh different. BTW I will be switching over from C-16 to carbureted alcohol as well.

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/09/14 02:13 PM

It should weigh about 2700 then. 850s to 8.60s is vey reachable, only needing about 850 hp. I have run 8.70s with much poorer heads and 528 cubes at 3040 lbs, alcohol injected single throttle body. Figure at that performance level, it takes about 35 hp per tenth of ET reduction. Will you be satisfied with 8.50s? That could be done with a very low maintenance motor.

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/09/14 02:36 PM

Quote:

It should weigh about 2700 then. 850s to 8.60s is vey reachable, only needing about 850 hp. I have run 8.70s with much poorer heads and 528 cubes at 3040 lbs, alcohol injected single throttle body. Figure at that performance level, it takes about 35 hp per tenth of ET reduction. Will you be satisfied with 8.50s? That could be done with a very low maintenance motor.

Honestly I was shooting for 8.10 to 8.20 for all out. But back it off to bracket race and be consistent. But yes, and as maintenance free as possible.
Our track is at 2690 to 2720 above sea level. If that helps.

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/09/14 03:35 PM

My weather station calculator says it would take about 1040 dyno hp to run in that range at a DA of roughly 3,000 ft. That makes it a pretty serious motor build. Al Alguire is who I would go to for a decent recipe, he has done it.

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/09/14 03:47 PM

Quote:

My weather station calculator says it would take about 1040 dyno hp to run in that range at a DA of roughly 3,000 ft. That makes it a pretty serious motor build. Al Alguire is who I would go to for a decent recipe, he has done it.

Thank you for all the advice!
Yeah I've actually seen his car out at our track. Seems to run really darn strong!
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/09/14 03:48 PM

Quote:

I have a KB on order.

Has KB shipped your block yet? When I talked to them on July 1, it sounded like they would be finished machining your block that week. I plan to check back on Friday (7/11) for the status on mine.

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/09/14 04:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have a KB on order.

Has KB shipped your block yet? When I talked to them on July 1, it sounded like they would be finished machining your block that week. I plan to check back on Friday (7/11) for the status on mine.

Check the latest post on-
"Keith Black Aluminum block ordering experience" Ken replied on there

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/09/14 05:48 PM

Looks like you are getting close on the block for sure. You will definitely loose quite a bit of weight on the nose for sure. All the megablocks I have weighed were 305-317lbs. My KB low deck was 127, so you will see a solid 175lb loss I would imagine. That is a TON of weight off the nose for sure.

My log book shows Firebirds elevation at 2695, a few hundred more than here in Vegas. Everytime I have run there the DA was 3200-4800' and that was at the division race which is one of your first races of the year. So you would still need a fair amount of steam to run 8.0's up there even at 2600lb. One thing some of the Midwest and East coast guys don't get is we have no barometer at these tracks. While Boise is a tad better than most as we go up in altitude the TRUE barometer is very low. This will kill power in a hurry. Boise was pretty good when I was there with the true barometer being in the low 27's. As we say here in Vegas if we see a 28.00 on the barometer it is a banner day and you will be fast, well for here anyway.

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/09/14 06:13 PM

Quote:

Looks like you are getting close on the block for sure. You will definitely loose quite a bit of weight on the nose for sure. All the megablocks I have weighed were 305-317lbs. My KB low deck was 127, so you will see a solid 175lb loss I would imagine. That is a TON of weight off the nose for sure.

My log book shows Firebirds elevation at 2695, a few hundred more than here in Vegas. Everytime I have run there the DA was 3200-4800' and that was at the division race which is one of your first races of the year. So you would still need a fair amount of steam to run 8.0's up there even at 2600lb. One thing some of the Midwest and East coast guys don't get is we have no barometer at these tracks. While Boise is a tad better than most as we go up in altitude the TRUE barometer is very low. This will kill power in a hurry. Boise was pretty good when I was there with the true barometer being in the low 27's. As we say here in Vegas if we see a 28.00 on the barometer it is a banner day and you will be fast, well for here anyway.

Wow I figured I'd loose 100 to 125lbs at the most!
Last weekend here at our Mopar race, it was so damn hot. I was checking the local barometer(about 5 miles away). It was in the low 29's around mid to late morning.

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/09/14 06:24 PM

I assume that Barometer you were looking at was corrected. A baro of 29 at 2700' would be a record I imagine. The actual is much lower. Just like watching TV and seeing the weather. They always list the corrected barometer not the actual reading. To standardize the number and as to not confuse people. I am not a weather man by any means but running .90 stuff you learn a lot about it for sure. Pilots can probably explain it better.

Here is the abridged version

Most of the barometric pressure values that are listed on weather web sites are corrected to sea-level. This is done to standardize the values so that the altitude where the measurement was made does not significantly affect the result.
Barometric pressure that is not corrected to sea-level is usually referred to as absolute barometric pressure (the "absolute" term is what differentiates between the two) or absolute atmospheric pressure. The absolute atmospheric pressure is the actual pressure at the location where the measurement is taken from. All barometers, whether they are mercury-filled, aneroid or other designs, are affected by altitude because atmospheric pressure reduces with vertical distance from the Earth. If a barometer is moved upwards from nominal sea level its readings should reduce roughly by 1 hPa (1 mbar) for every 10 metres increase in altitude but note that the rate-of-change of pressure with altitude itself reduces significantly and non-linearly with altitude

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/09/14 06:35 PM

Quote:

I assume that Barometer you were looking at was corrected. A baro of 29 at 2700' would be a record I imagine. The actual is much lower. Just like watching TV and seeing the weather. They always list the corrected barometer not the actual reading. To standardize the number and as to not confuse people. I am not a weather man by any means but running .90 stuff you learn a lot about it for sure. Pilots can probably explain it better.

Here is the abridged version

Most of the barometric pressure values that are listed on weather web sites are corrected to sea-level. This is done to standardize the values so that the altitude where the measurement was made does not significantly affect the result.
Barometric pressure that is not corrected to sea-level is usually referred to as absolute barometric pressure (the "absolute" term is what differentiates between the two) or absolute atmospheric pressure. The absolute atmospheric pressure is the actual pressure at the location where the measurement is taken from. All barometers, whether they are mercury-filled, aneroid or other designs, are affected by altitude because atmospheric pressure reduces with vertical distance from the Earth. If a barometer is moved upwards from nominal sea level its readings should reduce roughly by 1 hPa (1 mbar) for every 10 metres increase in altitude but note that the rate-of-change of pressure with altitude itself reduces significantly and non-linearly with altitude

Yeah I've heard stuff about this before. Is it hard to find absolute barometric pressure instruments?

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/09/14 06:40 PM

Most good weather stations are uncorrected. Most home units are corrected. Keeps those east coast guys from thinking a hurricane is coming

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/09/14 06:46 PM

I'll go grab my log book in a little. I have the weather information from the Halloween classic last year. That's about the best the air will ever be at that track.

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/09/14 06:59 PM

Quote:

Most good weather stations are uncorrected. Most home units are corrected. Keeps those east coast guys from thinking a hurricane is coming

Now thats funny s##t!

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/09/14 07:03 PM

Quote:

I'll go grab my log book in a little. I have the weather information from the Halloween classic last year. That's about the best the air will ever be at that track.

You were at the Halloween classic last year? I raced my Dart at that race too.

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/09/14 09:56 PM

ok Al Alguire, you've been nominated to whip up one of your recipes

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/10/14 12:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I won Pro bracket in the main event.

Barometer was 27.00-27.24 over the course of the weekend. Density Altitude swung from 2800-4500' during the same period.

Attached picture 8203366-HCPROwin2013-1.jpg

Re: If you were to build a Big Block Wedge...... - 07/10/14 12:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I won Pro bracket in the main event.

Great job!
I was in Super Pro. I don't run a box. Made it to the final 8 but then my trans break gave out.
I wanted to enter the Top Gun class this time around. But that's not going to happen for this year.
© 2024 Moparts Forums