Moparts

Poor Turnout for Jegs Big Buck Race

Posted By: cgall

Poor Turnout for Jegs Big Buck Race - 06/20/14 04:15 PM

Saw where only 58 cars made it to Indy for the Jegs US Open. Thursday was a $10K to win race for $200 entry, the next 3 days are $25K for $300. This surprises me, as this race has had good car counts in the past. There were some thunderstorms during the day. Or maybe only the elite can afford to race at this level now.
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: Poor Turnout for Jegs Big Buck Race - 06/20/14 04:22 PM

Let's see....gas is $4 a gallon, $200 entry...only one car is going to win. Not real good odds, and there is a limited number of guys who will play those odds anymore.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Poor Turnout for Jegs Big Buck Race - 06/20/14 04:44 PM

Quote:

Let's see....gas is $4 a gallon, $200 entry...only one car is going to win. Not real good odds, and there is a limited number of guys who will play those odds anymore.

I sure dont think its the entree fees and with that
car count thats pretty good odds... sure beats the
weekend bracket racing odds
Posted By: Frito

Re: Poor Turnout for Jegs Big Buck Race - 06/20/14 04:46 PM

The $50,000, quick 64 race at Clay City, Kentucky had a full field a couple of weeks ago.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Poor Turnout for Jegs Big Buck Race - 06/20/14 05:20 PM

I can say myself, I certainly do not go to races where the entry is over $100 due to the price of diesel and fuel and food & such....and I can tell you for sure, that we no longer do hotels, period. We are done with the price gouging crappy rooms and horrible experiences from hotels owned by people from 3rd world country's.

I am just a bracket racer, so the budget is what counts to make it a full season. I can go to four races for the cost of that one $200 race....Its just not worth it for us weekend warriors....If your a sponsored driver with a product & sponser to promote, or run the full travel circuit, I can see making a race like that...Me and my competitors, not so much. I wish we had more money and time, but it doesn't look like the price of fuel or anything for that matter is remotely getting better.
Posted By: Whompin_Wedge

Re: Poor Turnout for Jegs Big Buck Race - 06/20/14 05:40 PM

I bet the No Box race at Norwalk this weekend will be a full field...

Casey
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Poor Turnout for Jegs Big Buck Race - 06/20/14 06:05 PM

Quote:

I can say myself, I certainly do not go to races where the entry is over $100 due to the price of diesel and fuel and food & such....and I can tell you for sure, that we no longer do hotels, period. We are done with the price gouging crappy rooms and horrible experiences from hotels owned by people from 3rd world country's.

I am just a bracket racer, so the budget is what counts to make it a full season. I can go to four races for the cost of that one $200 race....Its just not worth it for us weekend warriors....If your a sponsored driver with a product & sponser to promote, or run the full travel circuit, I can see making a race like that...Me and my competitors, not so much. I wish we had more money and time, but it doesn't look like the price of fuel or anything for that matter is remotely getting better.

Amen to that, I quit giving them money in 2002 when I got my toterhome. I could tell you nasty story's about hotel/motels all day. Screw them!

Re: Poor Turnout for Jegs Big Buck Race - 06/20/14 06:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Amen to that, I quit giving them money in 2002 when I got my toterhome. I could tell you nasty story's about hotel/motels all day. Screw them!

Even with my old trailer(before building my LQ trailer)
I use to sleep in the trailer on a cot.. never could
get into paying big bucks to just sleep in a room..
that was part of the reason I quit going to the NATS
because you couldnt start at the track
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Poor Turnout for Jegs Big Buck Race - 06/20/14 06:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

3 times after guaranteeing the rooms with credit cards the rooms weren't there when we got to the hotel late. We always worked at the track until late and I told the hotels/ motels what we were doing(racing) and we wouldn't be there until late like 9-10 PM They rented our rooms anyway. I always paid for 2 rooms for my guys. They even re rented our room the second day right out from under us because we wouldn't leave anything in the room when we left in the morning to go to the track. Then we started leaving stuff in the room to let them know we were coming back for the second or third night. Even then one time they re rented our rooms right from under us!

Then twice in Indy, they rented our room to a second person and they entered our rooms while we were sleeping. That's kind of scary.

Then we found puke, poop and used condoms many times in our supposed cleaned rooms. This all happened after the Indian people bought the motels and in many different city's.
Posted By: Eric

Re: Poor Turnout for Jegs Big Buck Race - 06/20/14 07:08 PM

I've raced Mike Fuqua's races at National Trails before and always had a blast. He really knows how to run a race. I am assuming this was one of his deals. It's ashame the turnout was low and I hope it doesnt discurouge him from doing more. I wish he would pick an IHRA track to run one...I think the attendance would increase
Posted By: coronetville

Re: Poor Turnout for Jegs Big Buck Race - 06/21/14 12:54 AM

Its hard for a someone to compete with the "money guys"
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Poor Turnout for Jegs Big Buck Race - 06/21/14 02:12 AM

Quote:

Its hard for a someone to compete with the "money guys"

why is that?
Posted By: Cheatham

Re: Poor Turnout for Jegs Big Buck Race - 06/21/14 04:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

3 times after guaranteeing the rooms with credit cards the rooms weren't there when we got to the hotel late. We always worked at the track until late and I told the hotels/ motels what we were doing(racing) and we wouldn't be there until late like 9-10 PM They rented our rooms anyway. I always paid for 2 rooms for my guys. They even re rented our room the second day right out from under us because we wouldn't leave anything in the room when we left in the morning to go to the track. Then we started leaving stuff in the room to let them know we were coming back for the second or third night. Even then one time they re rented our rooms right from under us!

Then twice in Indy, they rented our room to a second person and they entered our rooms while we were sleeping. That's kind of scary.

Then we found puke, poop and used condoms many times in our supposed cleaned rooms. This all happened after the Indian people bought the motels and in many different city's. [/quote yep same here in south texas, i dont understand how they get the income to even purchase a hotel
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Poor Turnout for Jegs Big Buck Race - 06/21/14 08:11 AM

Our track owner is spoiled

We will have 200-250 tech cards this weekend easy

And , we race for peanuts
Posted By: Hemi Joe

Re: Poor Turnout for Jegs Big Buck Race - 06/22/14 01:35 AM

This is what I'am trying to get across to JIM BELINDA from the Mopar Nationals, with his no over-night staying at the track. As an example by having to travel to our Red Roof Motel in Grove City, Ohio, we will use an extra$80.00 in fuel going back and forth to the track. I'am retired and on a fixed income the $80.00 and having to buy all of our meals, plus motel costs, sure adds to the expense, Mr. Belinda.
I realize that you will once again say, it is to protect your vendors, well how about worring about your race customers, but I remember you saying that the racers were a big pain in your azz, always bitcxxxx about something and if it were up to you, you would only have a car show and a swapmeet!!! I remember perfectly well you telling the deseased gentleman from Evansville, Ind. who owned the car dealership their, I remember it like it was yesterday!!! That is why as I understand his son no longer runs the Mopar Nats he has a beautiful motor home which of course he is not allowed to use.
I'am retired after 45 years of sales and have worked hundreds upon hundreds of tade shows, and believe me, if you want the show to be secure after hours, it can happen, I know this as a fact!!! Do you really think that nothing will happen if we the racers or show car people are not their! Believe me, if a thief wants something including one of our cars, it can happen, with or without us. HEMI JOE
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Poor Turnout for Jegs Big Buck Race - 06/22/14 02:37 AM

Quote:

This is what I'am trying to get across to JIM BELINDA from the Mopar Nationals, with his no over-night staying at the track. As an example by having to travel to our Red Roof Motel in Grove City, Ohio, we will use an extra$80.00 in fuel going back and forth to the track. I'am retired and on a fixed income the $80.00 and having to buy all of our meals, plus motel costs, sure adds to the expense, Mr. Belinda.
I realize that you will once again say, it is to protect your vendors, well how about worring about your race customers, but I remember you saying that the racers were a big pain in your azz, always bitcxxxx about something and if it were up to you, you would only have a car show and a swapmeet!!! I remember perfectly well you telling the deseased gentleman from Evansville, Ind. who owned the car dealership their, I remember it like it was yesterday!!! That is why as I understand his son no longer runs the Mopar Nats he has a beautiful motor home which of course he is not allowed to use.
I'am retired after 45 years of sales and have worked hundreds upon hundreds of tade shows, and believe me, if you want the show to be secure after hours, it can happen, I know this as a fact!!! Do you really think that nothing will happen if we the racers or show car people are not their! Believe me, if a thief wants something including one of our cars, it can happen, with or without us. HEMI JOE

I wouldn't even think about racing at a track you couldn't stay if you wanted to.

Re: Poor Turnout for Jegs Big Buck Race - 06/22/14 02:48 AM

I wouldn't even think about racing at a track you couldn't stay if you wanted to.

Thats pretty much why I quit going to the NATS.. the
last time I was there was for the CRT Wheel Standers
that I ended up taking second place
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Poor Turnout for Jegs Big Buck Race - 06/22/14 04:48 AM

of all the events that I attend and have attended, the Nats is the only one that does not allow us to stay at the track over the weekend, this decision was not made by the operators of National Trail raceway but by Mr Belinda, and that decision has made attending a pain in the azz when you have several thousand people trying to get in the gate when they open in the morning and those same people trying to get out by a certain hour at the end of the day,,gridlock is an understatement,,,will I attend and race there again? yeah probably, maybe next year.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Poor Turnout for Jegs Big Buck Race - 06/22/14 05:29 AM

Please get involved with the thread in the general section on the judging letter sent out by Mr. Bielenda. He really need to start thinking about the people who have come to his show for decades and understand why some people quit going years ago. He replied to the thread, so I am sure he is till checking it out.
Posted By: voigtspeed

Re: Poor Turnout for Jegs Big Buck Race - 06/22/14 07:04 AM

Sad to say it seems the greedy are pricing us out of our hobby. Fuel prices a big factor that has driven the cost of everything up then ad in all the insurance costs and safety expenses and soon the fun factor is gone.
The normal guy wanting to build anything has been priced right out. Many cars up for sale now for pennies on the dollar because people cant afford to use them.

Even a street strip car looses its appeal when a small cruise can cost a hundred or more in fuel.

How can you get young people into the sport at the cost. We are quickly seeing it all fade away.

Young people now can not even afford gas to cruise around like I did when I was young how do they gain interest in something so out of reach the sport once was for dreamers and innovators now only for the privileged sad there is not enough of them to keep it going.

Time to stop playing democrats and republicans and find some ways to preserve what we once all had.......................
Posted By: Hemi Joe

Re: Poor Turnout for Jegs Big Buck Race - 06/22/14 03:18 PM

This is exactly what I'am trying to tell Mr. Jim Belinda/ of the Mopar Nats. By being permitted to stay at the track,it will save me around six hundred dollars. Motels, usually at inflated prices, remember the State Fair is usually going on at the same time as the Nats, meals, fuel, the cluster of getting in line every morning and somewhat as you are leaving.
The fact that you must hook and unhook your trucks/motor homes to your race trailers. He just does not care about his race car customers, plain and simple. I would say if other events did not allow it, their must be a good reason, however, every other event allows us to stay, what does that tell you, you can only blame one person.
For the ist time since this event came back from Indy, I did not attend this race last year, I'am thinking this could happen again. Like I have said, over the years, I have called him and talked to him about this subject and even offered him $ to stay, but he just does not care. HEMI JOE--- So I would say, why should we care about his event!!

Re: Poor Turnout for Jegs Big Buck Race - 06/22/14 03:40 PM

Quote:

This is exactly what I'am trying to tell Mr. Jim Belinda/ of the Mopar Nats. By being permitted to stay at the track,it will save me around six hundred dollars. Motels, usually at inflated prices, remember the State Fair is usually going on at the same time as the Nats, meals, fuel, the cluster of getting in line every morning and somewhat as you are leaving.
The fact that you must hook and unhook your trucks/motor homes to your race trailers. He just does not care about his race car customers, plain and simple. I would say if other events did not allow it, their must be a good reason, however, every other event allows us to stay, what does that tell you, you can only blame one person.
For the ist time since this event came back from Indy, I did not attend this race last year, I'am thinking this could happen again. Like I have said, over the years, I have called him and talked to him about this subject and even offered him $ to stay, but he just does not care. HEMI JOE--- So I would say, why should we care about his event!!

Basically he puts on a car show with a swap meet that
he allows some racing at with cheap pay outs... the
no over night issue is basically why I quit going..
and yes you are correct.. you can stay at THAT track
on any other occasion.... just not his event... doesnt
bother me any more.. I dont go
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Poor Turnout for Jegs Big Buck Race - 06/22/14 04:56 PM

Basically he puts on a car show with a swap meet that
he allows some racing at with cheap pay outs... the
no over night issue is basically why I quit going..
and yes you are correct.. you can stay at THAT track
on any other occasion.... just not his event... doesnt
bother me any more.. I dont go

Ditto....

It was the hotels and fuel prices for us that ruined it....Mainly the hotels. We had some really aweful experiences with them, and just gave up. Some of the hotels should have been closed for what they were doing...

For us to go, its $1500 to $1800 not buying anything but what we ate or filled the car and tow vehicle with...Over $400 OF IT WAS THE CRAPPY HOTEL...And a little over $300 in fuel for the tow vehicle and the at least $40/day in the hot rod back and forth. Plus the cost of tickets for the three of us, and food...

I figure we would save an easy $500 by camping...
Posted By: 68roadrunner

Re: Poor Turnout for Jegs Big Buck Race - 06/22/14 06:27 PM

between the addition of buy backs no matter how many cars, higher entry fees, and the strict tech of nhra has seem to hurt this race the last two years
Posted By: kissmyaspen

Re: Poor Turnout for Jegs Big Buck Race - 06/23/14 03:28 AM

Quote:

between the addition of buy backs no matter how many cars, higher entry fees, and the strict tech of nhra has seem to hurt this race the last two years

Strict tech?
Posted By: 68roadrunner

Re: Poor Turnout for Jegs Big Buck Race - 06/23/14 05:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Strict tech?

maybe not strict, but enforced by nhra. so all your t's crossed and i's dotted
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: Poor Turnout for Jegs Big Buck Race - 06/23/14 05:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Strict tech?

As it should be if you are racing

Russ

Re: Poor Turnout for Jegs Big Buck Race - 06/23/14 05:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Strict tech?

Yeah National Trails NHRA Police hit everything..
they are doing their job but damn they go over board
Posted By: RonTheAnnouncer

Re: Poor Turnout for Jegs Big Buck Race - 06/24/14 03:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Strict tech?

You'll have that at any NHRA owned track.

Re: Poor Turnout for Jegs Big Buck Race - 06/24/14 03:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Strict tech?

You'll have that at any NHRA owned track.

I race at many different NHRA tracks and National
Trails gets a bit over the top.. the top end police
got on me about pulling my neck collar off JUST prior
to me turning onto the turn off.. I was less than
20 mph and was less than 20mph for some time
© 2024 Moparts Forums