Moparts

Race Car Tow Vehicle Advice

Posted By: oldiron

Race Car Tow Vehicle Advice - 06/12/14 03:11 AM

Have an 06 Dodge 3500 4wd dually w/272000 mille on it and am thinking it may be time to replace. The things I don't like about the dually is replacing 6 tires, crappy in the snow, and real limited in the number of places I can park (airports & such). I load the truck with a camper (3800 lbs) and tow a trailer (about 7500 lbs). I was looking at 2014 ram 3500 w/single rear wheels. Going by the specs, it can handle the payload (limit about 4300 lbs), tow weight no problem.

So the question is, do I give up a lot of stability going with the SRW? (I would plan on adding airbags) but it seems like a lot of load on the tires.

Many thanks
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Race Car Tow Vehicle Advice - 06/12/14 03:28 AM

I've had both 3500 single tire rear axle and dual tire
rear axle.. I prefer the dual all day long.. as to
parking I've never had any problem parking the dually
but I MIGHT have to walk a few extra steps.. but if this
is your daily driver then the single tire works fine..
specially at that weight... but I sure think the
dually looks WAY better... I drove my dually to work
for a while and never had any problems parking
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: Race Car Tow Vehicle Advice - 06/12/14 03:38 AM

Quote:

I've had both 3500 single tire rear axle and dual tire
rear axle.. I prefer the dual all day long.. as to
parking I've never had any problem parking the dually
but I MIGHT have to walk a few extra steps.. but if this
is your daily driver then the single tire works fine..
specially at that weight... but I sure think the
dually looks WAY better... I drove my dually to work
for a while and never had any problems parking

and with the camper in the bed and pulling a trailer you will notice a lot more sway with the SRW.

Re: Race Car Tow Vehicle Advice - 06/12/14 04:08 AM

Also I will say that in the snow the dually isnt very
good.. BUT I never put snow tires on it... my last
3500 is a diesel dually 2 WD and I love it.. but its
used as a hauler only.. once in a while I drive it
without the trailer and still love the way the 2 WD
rides.. 4 WD is a different world

Re: Race Car Tow Vehicle Advice - 06/12/14 04:10 AM

Many thanks
I do like the look of the dually better. But I was figuring that for as much time as I'm in it, I can't see most of the truck
I will say the 2014 is much nicer inside than the 06.
I'm leaning dually for stability and the excess load capacity

Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Race Car Tow Vehicle Advice - 06/12/14 04:12 AM

sounds like it's old, and paid for. buy a lil s##t box car to do the airport parking etc... My 01 hardly ever leaves the yard anymore with the race trailer or boat in tow. It serves it's purpose well.... and it's paid for!

Re: Race Car Tow Vehicle Advice - 06/12/14 04:12 AM

Quote:

Many thanks
I do like the look of the dually better. But I was figuring that for as much time as I'm in it, I can't see most of the truck
I will say the 2014 is much nicer inside than the 06.
I'm leaning dually for stability and the excess load capacity

For the few bucks........ DUALLY ... all the way
Posted By: 69CHARGERMD

Re: Race Car Tow Vehicle Advice - 06/12/14 07:17 PM

I like my 2500 Cummins diesal.
No issues parking anywhere,,,and great for towing,,and great in the snow

Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Race Car Tow Vehicle Advice - 06/12/14 07:44 PM

IMO I would never go back to a single rear wheel truck. I have been driving duallies for years. On occasion parking can be a challenge but even when we lived in NorCal and took it to San Francisco I always managed to find a parking spot.
Posted By: DragDart360

Re: Race Car Tow Vehicle Advice - 06/12/14 08:19 PM

I said I'd never own a Dually but towing a 24 enclosed and hauling a camper I could not live with the sway. I have an 05 Dually now and would never go back to an SRW. The new trucks have better suspension and maybe you could live with the compromise but I think Dually would be the better choice. You get more snow than we do but I've never had a problem with my 4X4 Dually and all season tires.
Posted By: PolyDart

Re: Race Car Tow Vehicle Advice - 06/12/14 09:56 PM

I couldn't keep tires under my fully loaded SRW. They would start to crack and separate at the beads. I never let it go far enough to have a blow out.

I also carry a large Lance camper and a pull either my race car, or 5000lb 4x4 on a flatbed trailer.

Having had both, I would no longer consider an SRW for loads that are at or near the limit. It definitely does hurt when all six tires need to be replaced though.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Race Car Tow Vehicle Advice - 06/13/14 03:56 AM

I have an 04 SRW 3500 4x4 shortbox and tow a 32' LQ trailer which I have weighed with my 69 D200 truck in it at 11,700 lbs! I have towed it all over the U.S. and Canada with nary an issue. Sure it sometimes sways a bit when it is windy, but you won't have any issues. But if you need training wheels...

Attached picture 8174631-IM000308.JPG

Re: Race Car Tow Vehicle Advice - 06/13/14 05:31 AM

1 more thing to think about when towing a trailer srw and a rear tire failure not so good, with a drw no problem you keep on trucking till you can pull of the interstate.
Posted By: Dodgeguy101

Re: Race Car Tow Vehicle Advice - 06/13/14 01:01 PM

Pulling is one thing, CARRYING and PULLING is another.

Dual wheels for your application.

Re: Race Car Tow Vehicle Advice - 06/13/14 01:49 PM

Thanks All
Because of the load, DRW it is
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: Race Car Tow Vehicle Advice - 06/13/14 03:10 PM

Wise choice. With no camper I'd personally be okay with the SRW truck. But camper + enclosed car trailer, I'd definitely be buying another dually.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Race Car Tow Vehicle Advice - 06/13/14 05:40 PM

So I wonder what gives duallies the most observed improvement, 4 tire sidewalls of stiffness, stiffer springs, wider stance, and/or almost double the tire weight rating?
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Race Car Tow Vehicle Advice - 06/13/14 06:15 PM

Quote:

So I wonder what gives duallies the most observed improvement, 4 tire sidewalls of stiffness, stiffer springs, wider stance, and/or almost double the tire weight rating?

Yes

Re: Race Car Tow Vehicle Advice - 06/13/14 06:53 PM

no doubt they all add (think springs are the same), but I suspect the additional tires are the biggest benefit. Funny but all of those things are the downside to a dually. That's why I was struggling. But in the end, what I might have gotten away with is probably the wrong thing to do. I was hoping everyone would say: I've done that, SWR are great, no problem. Was hoping.............

now, manual or auto???
Posted By: Dodgeguy101

Re: Race Car Tow Vehicle Advice - 06/13/14 07:33 PM

I like a manual, but that is just me.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Race Car Tow Vehicle Advice - 06/13/14 07:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes

Well if anybody has run with only the outside set of tires on a dually, we might get some more insight. However the floater bearings may not be happy.
Posted By: Paul_Fancsali

Re: Race Car Tow Vehicle Advice - 06/13/14 09:41 PM

Having vans that have 10K GVW I have found it is the tire's or quality of the tire's Use name tires will get you a better ride and less sway. I prefer goodyears and Michilin along with several others get min of load range E or better.And get a tire that does not look like a bike tire, yes they are expensive but worth it
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Race Car Tow Vehicle Advice - 06/13/14 10:18 PM

My 06 3500 sw is a nice fast truck but my 92 2500 sw could carry more weight without squatting like an old car. My 24 ft trailer drops about 4-5 inches when hooked up, 92 about a inch.I put a 1000 pound welder in the back thought it was going to blow the tires, guess they put softer springs on the new ones. The new diesels have some serious HP though, if you're rich buy a dually.
Posted By: 68shifter

Re: Race Car Tow Vehicle Advice - 06/14/14 12:24 AM

The tough thing between the stick/auto is engine rating.

With a DRW the stick option is 660ft/lb and the Aisin auto will bump you to 850ft/lb. the newer models do not have deletes yet available and tuners are slow to the market so it's not a simple option to gain that power back.

I think stick will probably always have a bit better resale value being Ram is the only one with that option. The Aisin has been top notch but is a pricey option, around $2-2500. The 68rfe is a darn good auto as well and is the base option in most trucks.

Good luck

Cumminsforum.com has a lot of good info on the new trucks.

Re: Race Car Tow Vehicle Advice - 06/14/14 01:37 AM

Quote:

1 more thing to think about when towing a trailer srw and a rear tire failure not so good, with a drw no problem you keep on trucking till you can pull of the interstate.

Yep, when you blow a tire on a dually you buy a new bedside, DAMHIK! Especially the new dually's that have plastic bedsides. I blew a tire on my SRW towing my trailer and there were no issues at all, I was going 65 MPH and pulled over to the shoulder, no damage on my bed, changed the tire, and went on my way. I have probably towed more than anyone on this board, but you don't have to believe me.

Re: Race Car Tow Vehicle Advice - 06/14/14 02:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yep, when you blow a tire on a dually you buy a new bedside, DAMHIK! Especially the new dually's that have plastic bedsides. I blew a tire on my SRW towing my trailer and there were no issues at all, I was going 65 MPH and pulled over to the shoulder, no damage on my bed, changed the tire, and went on my way. I have probably towed more than anyone on this board, but you don't have to believe me.

yeah and you where on the shoulder with other vehicles wizzing by. I will take a DRW every day of the week when pulling.

I have pulled open trailers, enclosed race trailers and my 35' 5th wheel all over the south east and for me its a DRW all the way.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Race Car Tow Vehicle Advice - 06/14/14 02:58 AM

Our 2006 Mega Cab 2500 pulls everything we own with ease, and Is fairly easy to park

Attached picture 8175518-image.jpg

Re: Race Car Tow Vehicle Advice - 06/14/14 03:14 AM

Quote:

Our 2006 Mega Cab 2500 pulls everything we own with ease, and Is fairly easy to park

Im sure it does, but when you start pulling around a larger trailer or 5th wheel that's
10-20k the DRW is just more stable.

Re: Race Car Tow Vehicle Advice - 06/14/14 05:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

yeah and you where on the shoulder with other vehicles wizzing by. I will take a DRW every day of the week when pulling.

I have pulled open trailers, enclosed race trailers and my 35' 5th wheel all over the south east and for me its a DRW all the way.

Had a 48' fifth wheel and I did pull it with a 99, 05, and 07 dually's. Also pulled this monster for 200K miles...

Attached picture 8175678-IM000699.JPG

Re: Race Car Tow Vehicle Advice - 06/14/14 06:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Had a 48' fifth wheel and I did pull it with a 99, 05, and 07 dually's. Also pulled this monster for 200K miles...

sweet rig
© 2024 Moparts Forums