Moparts

BB Cam bearings, Sealed Power vs Clevite

Posted By: Nitrofish

BB Cam bearings, Sealed Power vs Clevite - 05/28/14 04:28 PM

Clevite cam bearings are listed as aluminum while Sealer Power is babbit.

Is one better then the other?
Does one or the other serve a different purpose?
Posted By: RAMM

Re: BB Cam bearings, Sealed Power vs Clevite - 05/28/14 05:57 PM

I think you have that backwards. What is the application? J.Rob

Re: BB Cam bearings, Sealed Power vs Clevite - 05/28/14 06:00 PM

BB Chrysler 440. Hydraulic flat tappet. 540 lift. dur@ .050 is 250 int and 263 Exh.
Posted By: hemiiroc

Re: BB Cam bearings, Sealed Power vs Clevite - 05/28/14 07:37 PM

Go with Durabond
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: BB Cam bearings, Sealed Power vs Clevite - 05/28/14 09:03 PM

Quote:

Go with Durabond

Re: BB Cam bearings, Sealed Power vs Clevite - 05/28/14 09:09 PM

Why Dura-Bond?

Why not Sealed Power or Clevite?
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: BB Cam bearings, Sealed Power vs Clevite - 05/28/14 09:34 PM

I'd like to know why too.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: BB Cam bearings, Sealed Power vs Clevite - 05/28/14 11:09 PM

Durabond PDP-17 is the best thing going
The std PD-17 is way better than Clevites and others but the PDP-17 is what most builders use--way less trouble than other brands on fitting--they look like they were made by someone that cares --hold up good to rollers etc the ONLY kind I use--have cut down on time wasting tight cams
Posted By: MoParFish

Re: BB Cam bearings, Sealed Power vs Clevite - 05/29/14 01:46 AM

Quote:

The std PD-17 is way better than Clevites and others but the PDP-17 is what most builders use--way less trouble than other brands on fitting--they look like they were made by someone that cares --hold up good to rollers etc the ONLY kind I use--have cut down on time wasting tight cams

I had trouble with SP bearings on last build, cam too tight. Tried scraping/shaving and got better but still didn't feel right. Someone recommended Durabond bearings so I removed the other ones and installed Durabond PDP-17s using same tool/method and problem solved with NO scraping whatsoever. Comp solid roller fit perfect.
Posted By: Sport440

Re: BB Cam bearings, Sealed Power vs Clevite - 05/29/14 03:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I had trouble with SP bearings on last build, cam too tight. Tried scraping/shaving and got better but still didn't feel right. Someone recommended Durabond bearings so I removed the other ones and installed Durabond PDP-17s using same tool/method and problem solved with NO scraping whatsoever. Comp solid roller fit perfect.

Nice to know Fitting my last cam bearings took some time.
Posted By: mosweethemi

Re: BB Cam bearings, Sealed Power vs Clevite - 05/29/14 06:21 AM

HELLO I PUT DURABOND IN ALL OF MY ENGINE,S BESTED CAM BEARING OUT THERE FOR BIG BLOCK AN SMALL BLOCK MOPAR !! (A REAL MOPAR MAN )
Posted By: rebel

Re: BB Cam bearings, Sealed Power vs Clevite - 05/29/14 07:18 AM

i've just installed Clevites into my BB & altho it was a bit tricky as i've not installed cam bearings before, they did fit. no scraping required but it did need lube on the cam journals for the final seated fit. once in place the cam spins perfect, no tight spots. the bearings looked well made when i pulled them from the box, much better than the rubbish someone else fitted last year before i bought this engine.
Posted By: cl440

Re: BB Cam bearings, Sealed Power vs Clevite - 05/29/14 03:30 PM

Quote:

Go with Durabond

Posted By: 135sohc

Re: BB Cam bearings, Sealed Power vs Clevite - 05/29/14 06:36 PM

Durabond's are made from round stock, not flat material formed into a circle (seamless construction, they tend to hold accuracy better)
Posted By: mike s

Re: BB Cam bearings, Sealed Power vs Clevite - 05/29/14 07:49 PM

In reality,believe it or not the split bearings conform better to the block.That does not mean they are any better as far as fittment.In fact that is likely why people have more problems w/them.The factory always used the split bearing.Of course if you are machining them in the block it doesn't matter.All the bearings will work fine most problems have more to do with installation.Bottom line is some will need extra work to fit correctly.
© 2024 Moparts Forums