Moparts

Requesting guidance on a new build....

Posted By: 1320Dart

Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/21/14 09:49 PM

I'm starting a new build for drag racing, going bigger, and would like some insight/opinions on a combination that's been around a while. A 572. I've got an aluminum KB block on order. It should be here shortly. I have a set of original B1's with T&D rockers. They've had minor port work done. Mainly to get the same CFM out of each port. I will be running carburated alcohol. Hopefully before too long ill have the info on what the heads flow so I can get a new Bullet cam ordered. Any info or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Oops I almost forgot. It will be going in my 68 Dart(drag race only). It has an ATI powerglide and Dana 60 with Moser internals. It has 4.56's in it now but will be changed over to 4.30's.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/21/14 10:14 PM

I sounds like you are on your way to a nice 8 second combo. The B1 heads stock aren't much to talk about stock but with some gentle massaging will respond well. Now fill in some blanks for us on car weight, planned convertor, and so on.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/21/14 11:22 PM

My 68 Dart had a 556 Mega-block in it. I wish I could take credit for it but I bought it that way. It was to have only 20 passes on a fresh motor. Buyer beware! The motor was way tired and had to be gone thru. bla bla bla... Anyways the car weighs 2835 with we in it. The converter stalls out 5300ish. My Dart is a big tire car=32x14.5w, ladder bar set up. That may have to be changed to a 4-link. Its a full chassis car.

Attached picture 8151481-IMG_0670.JPG

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/22/14 11:13 AM

So any suggestions on who I should go with on the pistons, rods, and crank?
I want to keep the max RPM to around 7000 to 7100, if that helps. If there is something I should keep in mind as well, please speak your mind.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/22/14 06:15 PM

What I know about methanol is to shoot for 15.0 to 1 or slightly higher for drag racing. I have freshen a 572 race gas motor that had 15.0 to 1 with flat tops with a set of 440-1, I don't remember the CC of the heads though I like and use steel rods, that compression ratio is not hard to achieve with a big C.I. motor with flat tops with valve reliefs I had a set of B1 with big combustion chambers, around 72 CC, Koffels wanted to make them 51 or 52.0 CC , if I'm remebering correctly Check your CC first before ordering pistons

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/22/14 06:32 PM

Cab_Burge-
Yeah I've been wanting to run steel rods. What brand do you recommend? Also piston brand? I would like to get some life outta this girl too. I know it can be done. I just need to be particular on the build and parts used. The major dilemma, of course, is I don't have a bottomless wallet to fund my horrible addiction.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/22/14 08:49 PM

I used Wisco Pistons in my 572 and they were ordered with the 440-1 valve reliefs and Tom Hemphile cut them for my B1 valve reliefs so I could run either head. My Daytona ran 8.48@159mph with the Indy heads and very low compression and should be very low 8's I would think with the B1 heads when I get the car back out. I had a VERY NICE set of Crower rods but the rod bolts wouldn't clear the cam so I used a set of K1 rods with all the upgrades but I don't beat the piss out of my stuff for that last few hundredths.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/22/14 09:08 PM

pittsburghracer-
What rod journal size are you using? K1 rods look very nice. I've never held one in my hand. Just seen pics. Have you heard of Molnar rods? I've been kinda checking them out. I would LOVE a set of Corrillo's but my wallet doesn't.
I don't like beating the hell out of my stuff either. That's why I've opted to run lower RPM.
BTW... how heavy is your Daytona? etc....

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/22/14 09:41 PM

Quote:

pittsburghracer-
What rod journal size are you using? K1 rods look very nice. I've never held one in my hand. Just seen pics. Have you heard of Molnar rods? I've been kinda checking them out. I would LOVE a set of Corrillo's but my wallet doesn't.
I don't like beating the hell out of my stuff either. That's why I've opted to run lower RPM.

I bought my Calias crank from Dan at Performance Only. He tried to talk me into ordering it with the Chevy journal but I already had this set of rods and I couldn't use them anyway. STUPID mistake on my part as I should have ordered the one he suggested. My Daytona is 2350-2400 pounds, powerglide with stock 1.76 gear-set, and a 4.30 rear gear. I would suggest staying away from an I beem rod in a budget rod (go with H beem) and get the upgraded rod bolts for cheap insurance.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/22/14 09:59 PM

Your Daytona is quite a bit lighter than my Dart. My glide has a 1.76 gear set in it as well.
Have you seen any issues at all with the 572? anything to pay particular attention to? Or needs to be done differently when building one? Sorry for all the questions...

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/22/14 10:22 PM

Quote:

Your Daytona is quite a bit lighter than my Dart. My glide has a 1.76 gear set in it as well.
Have you seen any issues at all with the 572? anything to pay particular attention to? Or needs to be done differently when building one? Sorry for all the questions...

Sorry I can't give you a lot of info as I only had about 8-10 passes on it and an oil line broke and I put the car on its roof. Not bad but bad enough. Never had a chance to run it in good weather and I had a fuel pressure issue with a brand new Barry Grant 400 pump. The cam was spected out by Tom H. for my B1 heads and more compression so it was wrong for this combo but it still ran half decent.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/22/14 10:31 PM

Oh crap! that makes my sick. Sorry man....

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/22/14 10:52 PM

Quote:

Oh crap! that makes my sick. Sorry man....

Thanks. I bought my Duster 2 years before that happened and never even sat in the car as my Son (Matt) was driving it while he worked on his Duster. I wrecked in September and I let him finish the year but I told him to get busy on his car as I was bumping him out of the seat soon. I turned my Duster into and "oldman" car removing the fiberglass doors and installing stock ones with wind up windows, alternator, and a bigger fuel cell. I built a nice pump gas 408 and go out and run 10.0's in it. Fun car to race and very simple. I drive it in the enclosed trailer, climb out the window and tie it down for the ride home.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/22/14 10:57 PM

My ride now.

My Daytona the day before I wrecked it.

Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/22/14 11:11 PM

With the 572 and original B1s your gonna need to be ported
pretty decent to stay with that ci and on alky... yes
I would stay with a H-beam rod... compression wise I
would stay in the 14.5-15.0 range... a bracket car
likes the compression if you have to play the line
on the top end(compression responds quicker)... on
the cam I would wait and see what the head flow looks
like before you look at cams

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/22/14 11:26 PM

pittsburghracer-
That's way cool!!
On C-16 race fuel, my old fat girl with the 556 in it ran [Email]9.27@143.35[/Email] with a 1.31 60' [Email]DA@3622'[/Email]

Were you running a vacuum pump on yours?

Attached picture 8152671-IMG_0801.JPG

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/22/14 11:34 PM

MR_P_BODY-
Ported pretty decent, like what are we talking?

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/23/14 12:25 AM

Quote:

MR_P_BODY-

I would look at a full port job or close to it..
something like 360cfm or more... the alky takes up
volume in the port since you run 2X the amount of alky
vs gas
Posted By: Cheatham

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/23/14 12:34 AM

Quote:

I'm starting a new build for drag racing, going bigger, and would like some insight/opinions on a combination that's been around a while. A 572. I've got an aluminum KB block on order. It should be here shortly. I have a set of original B1's with T&D rockers. They've had minor port work done. Mainly to get the same CFM out of each port. I will be running carburated alcohol. Hopefully before too long ill have the info on what the heads flow so I can get a new Bullet cam ordered. Any info or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Oops I almost forgot. It will be going in my 68 Dart(drag race only). It has an ATI powerglide and Dana 60 with Moser internals. It has 4.56's in it now but will be changed over to 4.30's.

Not that i can offer any advise just that im doing a similar project as you, B1 572 on alcohal, comp. little over 15.1, 2 1/4 custom headers 4.10 dana on 14.5x32 car weighs about 2500lb

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/23/14 05:33 AM

Quote:

pittsburghracer-
That's way cool!!
On C-16 race fuel, my old fat girl with the 556 in it ran [Email]9.27@143.35[/Email] with a 1.31 60' [Email]DA@3622'[/Email]

Were you running a vacuum pump on yours?

No vacuum pump on mine. I'm a VERY budget orientated bracket racer. Taught myself at the age of 20 how to build engines and port heads after waiting 13 months for my first engine to get built. 58 now and still enjoy racing every chance I get.
Posted By: moparlulu

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/23/14 06:20 AM

Did the car come from poky?what part of Idaho you from? Valley crankshaft in garden city builds some nice mopar engines and does very nice machine work, if your on this end of the state.Mike can help you out.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/23/14 12:27 PM

Cheatham-
Could you tell me a little more about tour build? I'm all ears and a double chin!

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/23/14 12:31 PM

moparlulu-
Yes I did. I got it from Cal Percy. Boy did I get the short end of that stick. I'm in Boise

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/23/14 12:36 PM

pittsburghracer-
I really have to make each dollar count as well. A lot of people have been telling me that I HAVE to run a vacuum pump. I feel its one more thing in the way and one more thing to go wrong.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/23/14 12:46 PM

MR_P_BODY-
I hope to get some numbers fairly soon on my heads. I need them anyways to order my Bullet cam.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/24/14 12:06 AM

Quote:

Cheatham-
Could you tell me a little more about tour build? I'm all ears and a double chin!

Muscle Motors did my shortblock, flat tops .010 in the hole Ross piston cut for B1 or indy head, the rods and crank are a china brand id have to look up the name but Mike at Muscle Motors has enuff faith in them for what im doing then I have no choice but to rely on it, Heads are 57cciirc and .051 cosmetic gaskets = 15-15.5 compression Bullet solid roller custom grind 7000 rpm max, oil thru pushrods, Jesel rockers, SV1 alky carb, B1 heads I bought used from a member here and were already ported and in the 400cfm range, 727 tranny with CRT internals where needed car is a 73 dart lightened and 4.10 gear converter is a 4800 8in, foot braked, right now im working the coilover mounts and waiting for custom valved front coilovers to arrive, hopefully here soon I can get it finished up.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/24/14 12:24 AM

Damn! that sounds so close to my build. you're farther along than I am.
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/24/14 03:26 AM

didn't read everything but if the block hasn't been started i would seriously consider going raised cam with larger cam journals. i ordered mine with stock dimensions because i already had a jesel drive but in hindsight wish i had gone the raised cam/larger journal. yea it's more money but imho at this level money well spent.
Posted By: wyoming

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/24/14 03:38 AM

Sounds like it be a fast dart, when I saw that paint my first thought was Cal Percy, painted just like his cars. Cant believe old Cal would give some one the short end though, well maybe he would I guess.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/24/14 05:09 AM

Quote:

Damn! that sounds so close to my build. you're farther along than I am.

forgot to mention its a world product aluminum block.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/24/14 06:51 AM

Quote:

moparlulu-
Yes I did. I got it from Cal Percy. Boy did I get the short end of that stick. I'm in Boise

yep ,Cal is a great guy but your not the first. If you are going to have your heads done, Talk to Wes King . He'll make those heads talk to ya!

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/24/14 06:59 AM

Quote:

Sounds like it be a fast dart, when I saw that paint my first thought was Cal Percy, painted just like his cars. Cant believe old Cal would give some one the short end though, well maybe he would I guess.

Glenn, How the hell ya been? Enjoying you new area? Miss seeing your car at firebird.
Posted By: hemiiroc

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/24/14 07:20 AM

Quote:

pittsburghracer-

Molnar's are nice rods...Iv'e been using them in lots of builds lately
Posted By: LA360

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/24/14 09:37 AM

If it was my own engine I would run a 55-60mm camshaft, over the factory journals. Probably overkill at the moment, but if you step it up later you don't have pay more $$$ to have the cam tunnel machined for it.
A vacuum pump can always be added later on, I would go with atleast a 0.043" top and second ring anyway, rather than the old school 1/16" ring.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/26/14 03:09 PM

I did order it with the larger cam journals. But not the raised cam.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/26/14 03:12 PM

I didn't think Cal would do that either. Boy was I wrong.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/26/14 03:17 PM

I ordered a KB block in January. I'm still waiting.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/26/14 03:21 PM

I'm sure leaning towards them for sure.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/26/14 03:28 PM

Quote:

If it was my own engine I would run a 55-60mm camshaft, over the factory journals. Probably overkill at the moment, but if you step it up later you don't have pay more $$$ to have the cam tunnel machined for it.
A vacuum pump can always be added later on, I would go with at least a 0.043" top and second ring anyway, rather than the old school 1/16" ring.

Yep I did at least order the block with the 54mm cam journals. and I'm split on if I should go 1mm top and second ring or .043.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/26/14 07:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Cheatham-

Muscle Motors did my shortblock, flat tops .010 in the hole Ross piston cut for B1 or indy head, the rods and crank are a china brand id have to look up the name but Mike at Muscle Motors has enuff faith in them for what im doing then I have no choice but to rely on it, Heads are 57cciirc and .051 cosmetic gaskets = 15-15.5 compression Bullet solid roller custom grind 7000 rpm max, oil thru pushrods, Jesel rockers, SV1 alky carb, B1 heads I bought used from a member here and were already ported and in the 400cfm range, 727 tranny with CRT internals where needed car is a 73 dart lightened and 4.10 gear converter is a 4800 8in, foot braked, right now im working the coilover mounts and waiting for custom valved front coilovers to arrive, hopefully here soon I can get it finished up.

I'm pretty sure I will run Ross Pistons and Bullet Cam as well. Are you running the 54mm cam? I was going to be using T&D for my rockers. For the crank I've been looking at Ohio Crankshaft.
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/27/14 11:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

moparlulu-

yep ,Cal is a great guy but your not the first. If you are going to have your heads done, Talk to Wes King . He'll make those heads talk to ya!

Ummmm, no. The only thing a set of Wes King heads will say is "Gee, wish I had a Mopar guy port us. We'd be 20 CFM ahead."

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/27/14 11:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

moparlulu-

Ummmm, no. The only thing a set of Wes King heads will say is "Gee, wish I had a Mopar guy port us. We'd be 20 CFM ahead."

He's too arrogant to even talk to.
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/28/14 03:05 AM

OK, I'll pipe in once. I would send my heads to Todd at Marsh Performance as he has a great head guy. If you want to spend lots's and have the marque guy do them and squeeze out every CFM, call Tom Hemphill as I think he's done almost as many as Koffel. Fastlane Machine in Utah did a set of B1/MC'sfor me and they are very nice with respectable power in the 1050HP range but I don't really care about dyno numbers. My dragster is 1870#'s with me in the seat and I went 7.55@174 at 7000ft corrected. I would expect 7.20's or better at sea level. Fastlne does great work, and they are reasonable, but expect to wait for 6 months. I'll give you just a brief description of my 572 builds. heads in the 410-420 Int. CFM range, cam in the 840-810 and 288-298@50, 15-1 lightweight pistons, 7.100 aluminum 2.200 rods, well massaged B1 intake, 1150 CFM APD carb. There ya go. Oh...and my B1 originals that I sold Cheatham and related parts, went 8.30's at Las Vegas the year before in the same dragster. i hope this helps.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/28/14 02:12 PM

Quote:

OK, I'll pipe in once. I would send my heads to Todd at Marsh Performance as he has a great head guy. If you want to spend lots's and have the marque guy do them and squeeze out every CFM, call Tom Hemphill as I think he's done almost as many as Koffel. Fastlane Machine in Utah did a set of B1/MC'sfor me and they are very nice with respectable power in the 1050HP range but I don't really care about dyno numbers. My dragster is 1870#'s with me in the seat and I went [Email]7.55@174[/Email] at 7000ft corrected. I would expect 7.20's or better at sea level. Fastlne does great work, and they are reasonable, but expect to wait for 6 months. I'll give you just a brief description of my 572 builds. heads in the 410-420 Int. CFM range, cam in the 840-810 and [Email]288-298@50[/Email], 15-1 lightweight pistons, 7.100 aluminum 2.200 rods, well massaged B1 intake, 1150 CFM APD carb. There ya go. Oh...and my B1 originals that I sold Cheatham and related parts, went 8.30's at Las Vegas the year before in the same dragster. i hope this helps.

Yes very much! thank you.
Real quick question...What RPM range are you running?

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/28/14 02:26 PM

Shifting at 7300 and across the stripe at 7700-8000.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/28/14 02:29 PM

Should be 7.30's in Vegas

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/28/14 02:42 PM

Quote:

Shifting at 7300 and across the stripe at 7700-8000.

Wow! That's getting some!
I'm wanting to keep my RPM to 7000, 7100 at the most. And my old fat girl with me in it is 2835lbs.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/29/14 12:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Cheatham-

I'm pretty sure I will run Ross Pistons and Bullet Cam as well. Are you running the 54mm cam? I was going to be using T&D for my rockers. For the crank I've been looking at Ohio Crankshaft.

Cheatham-
When will your build be done?

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/30/14 06:04 PM

Still waiting on the block......

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 05/30/14 08:17 PM

absolutely frigging speechless!!! I just got off the phone with Ken Black not even 15 minutes ago. I put my order and money in for a new block January 20th. I was quoted 12 weeks. I haven't heard a word. So I thought I'd give him a call. He just told me that my block hasn't even left the foundry yet!!!!!!! WTF!!!
I'm so pissed off right now I don't know what to do. That just TOTALLY killed any hope of me racing this year.
Posted By: Keith Richards

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/03/14 03:31 PM

As requested, This is a Aluminum World block, 572" K1 rotating assembly with 91 octane pump gas assembly, Indy 440-1 heads hand ported by Mopar Engines West (These are the actual heads that they made the most power with 765 IIRC in the 2006 Mopar Muscle Engine Challenge), .750 ish Comp roller cam, Indy 440-2 dominator manifold, 1250 Holley carb, KB Gear drive. Car weighs 2750 # with me in it, 4.10 geared dana , 727 with all the good stuff. So far 9.20 @144 in 85* heat and a junk track. This picture clicked the 60' beam at 1.379 (usually 1.27 60') and still ran a 9.29 @ 1.41 with 15 mph headwind on a hot track at 4:30 in the afternoon. Shift at 6800rpm , motor sees no more than 7000 through the traps. Car has been 9.04 @ 148 with 501" 14.2/1 comp motor prior, that motor would probably equal this one in these weather conditions but did not have the low end torque that the 572" makes or the weight reduction that this block provides.

Attached picture 8164061-10426593_823939334284770_1329891318531776718_n.jpg

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/03/14 03:56 PM

Quote:

As requested, This is a Aluminum World block, 572" K1 rotating assembly with 91 octane pump gas assembly, Indy 440-1 heads hand ported by Mopar Engines West (These are the actual heads that they made the most power with 765 IIRC in the 2006 Mopar Muscle Engine Challenge), .750 ish Comp roller cam, Indy 440-2 dominator manifold, 1250 Holley carb, KB Gear drive. Car weighs 2750 # with me in it, 4.10 geared dana , 727 with all the good stuff. So far 9.20 @144 in 85* heat and a junk track. This picture clicked the 60' beam at 1.379 (usually 1.27 60') and still ran a 9.29 @ 1.41 with 15 mph headwind on a hot track at 4:30 in the afternoon. Shift at 6800rpm , motor sees more than 7000 through the traps. Car has been 9.04 @ 148 with 501" 14.2/1 comp motor prior, that motor would probably equal this one in these weather conditions but did not have the low end torque that the 572" makes or the weight reduction that this block provides.

Thank you! That's great info! What rocker arms are you running? Have you seen any issues so far spinning it over 7000?

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/03/14 05:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Cheatham-

Cheatham-

Hopefully this summer, coilover should be hear today then weld up the mounts and finish assembleing the front end then get the motor ready to drop in, but im sure ill have chop,cut and grind on anything that get near the car before its said and done with so who knows how much more time for that lol, maybe i shoulda just bought a chassi car already built but then what fun would that be

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/03/14 05:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Cheatham-

Cheatham-

Hopefully this summer, coilover should be hear today then weld up the mounts and finish assembleing the front end then get the motor ready to drop in, but im sure ill have chop,cut and grind on anything that get near the car before its said and done with so who knows how much more time for that lol, maybe i shoulda just bought a chassi car already built but then what fun would that be

Oh believe me it could still be a whole lot of fun!!
You could always get a mess like mine and be chasing other peoples half assing for a long time. I should have started a new ground up chassis car build. I might have been better off
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/03/14 06:54 PM

Looks like the car Marty Pearcy's kid used to drive? Love his 64 and 68, great looking cars for sure.

Anyway lots of ways to build a good running combo. My ole bucket of bolts was a 525" B1MC deal. Made 1050+hp and seemed to work well in my 2975lb pig. My junk went hundreds of laps with zero maintenance issues or failures. This is not rocket science by any means. Good components and some thought in the beginning will go a long way.

Having a plan in advance and knowing what your goals are will put you ahead in the end. Some words of advice. Plenty of block options out there. If it were me I would be buying an HP block. If you are going B1 heads, spend the money to go with the T&D paired rockers from the get go. It is a better more reliable system. Buy a good pan and pump. Get the heads to someone who knows how to make them work. GOOD cylinder head people are good cylinder head people period. Don't get hung up in the has to be a "Mopar" guy, trust me in the end you will not regret it. IMO a big cam core if you are chasing 4 digit horsepower is a must. A very good lifter, I prefer the Isky EZ roll x stuff myself. Good machine work and attention to detail during assembly are a must as well.
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/03/14 07:22 PM

Better to buy the right part once then to buy the wrong one and have to buy the right one after a failure.

The better parts are more money but you get what you pay for, PERIOD!

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/03/14 07:24 PM

Quote:

Looks like the car Marty Pearcy's kid used to drive? Love his 64 and 68, great looking cars for sure.

Anyway lots of ways to build a good running combo. My ole bucket of bolts was a 525" B1MC deal. Made 1050+hp and seemed to work well in my 2975lb pig. My junk went hundreds of laps with zero maintenance issues or failures. This is not rocket science by any means. Good components and some thought in the beginning will go a long way.

Having a plan in advance and knowing what your goals are will put you ahead in the end. Some words of advice. Plenty of block options out there. If it were me I would be buying an HP block. If you are going B1 heads, spend the money to go with the T&D paired rockers from the get go. It is a better more reliable system. Buy a good pan and pump. Get the heads to someone who knows how to make them work. GOOD cylinder head people are good cylinder head people period. Don't get hung up in the has to be a "Mopar" guy, trust me in the end you will not regret it. IMO a big cam core if you are chasing 4 digit horsepower is a must. A very good lifter, I prefer the Isky EZ roll x stuff myself. Good machine work and attention to detail during assembly are a must as well.

I've seen your Barracuda out at the track, at Firebird Raceway here in Idaho. Very nice car!
Yes I got my Dart from Cal Percy. It was suppose to only have 20 passes on a freshened motor. I put 13 passes on it.
I tore it down this last winter. It looks like it had 330 passes on it. BUYER BEWARE, right? Anyways that's why I'm doing this new build.
I have planned on T&D paired rockers already. My latest hurdle is getting the KB block that I ordered. You might have read about that already. Ha ha ha!
Posted By: Keith Richards

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/03/14 07:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

As requested, This is a Aluminum World block, 572" K1 rotating assembly with 91 octane pump gas assembly, Indy 440-1 heads hand ported by Mopar Engines West (These are the actual heads that they made the most power with 765 IIRC in the 2006 Mopar Muscle Engine Challenge), .750 ish Comp roller cam, Indy 440-2 dominator manifold, 1250 Holley carb, KB Gear drive. Car weighs 2750 # with me in it, 4.10 geared dana , 727 with all the good stuff. So far 9.20 @144 in 85* heat and a junk track. This picture clicked the 60' beam at 1.379 (usually 1.27 60') and still ran a 9.29 @ 1.41 with 15 mph headwind on a hot track at 4:30 in the afternoon. Shift at 6800rpm , motor sees more than 7000 through the traps. Car has been 9.04 @ 148 with 501" 14.2/1 comp motor prior, that motor would probably equal this one in these weather conditions but did not have the low end torque that the 572" makes or the weight reduction that this block provides.

Thank you! That's great info! What rocker arms are you running? Have you seen any issues so far spinning it over 7000?

I shift at 6800 and go through traps at 6800 so it stays below 7000 with the 4.10 gear, forgot to mention tires are 33x15x15. Rockers are Harland Sharp on all my race motors.

Keith

Attached picture 8164313-IMG_20140503_145504_083(1024x768).jpg

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/03/14 08:00 PM

Quote:

Better to buy the right part once then to buy the wrong one and have to buy the right one after a failure.

The better parts are more money but you get what you pay for, PERIOD!

I'm sure trying to get the right pieces.
I really don't want any failures.
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/03/14 08:08 PM

Good Luck!
It sounds like you're doing it right.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/03/14 09:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I shift at 6800 and go through traps at 6800 so it stays below 7000 with the 4.10 gear, forgot to mention tires are 33x15x15. Rockers are Harland Sharp on all my race motors.

Keith

With my other motor I was going thru the traps at 7050. It's a Glide and 4.56 gears and 32x14.5w slicks.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/03/14 10:00 PM

In S/ST I was between 71-7450 in the lites. When I ran my heap all out we shifted at 8300 but only had about 7700 in the lites. 4.10 gear 33x15 tire as well.

I tell ya call HP Performance. You might be surprised by what you hear......

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/03/14 10:18 PM

Quote:

In S/ST I was between 71-7450 in the lites. When I ran my heap all out we shifted at 8300 but only had about 7700 in the lites. 4.10 gear 33x15 tire as well.

I just might have to. I've heard a lot of good things about those guys.
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/03/14 10:45 PM

Quote:

If they can offer a good block, with a variety of typical options and get it to the customer in a reasonable amount of time for a fair price......that would practically be a 1st in the MOPAR block world and hopefully, people will support them.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/04/14 11:13 AM

Quote:

May I ask what all you did to get 1050hp out of your 525 B1 motor?

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/04/14 11:30 AM

If I was going to , lets say, be using a KB block in my build. Should I use a block girdle just for extra assurance?

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/04/14 11:35 AM

Quote:

If I was going to , lets say, be using a KB block in my build. Should I use a block girdle just for extra assurance?

Heck no.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/04/14 11:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Heck no.

This might be a dumb question. Could you explain why?
I like to hear peoples points of view.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/04/14 12:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Heck no.

A girdle is a band-aid to help (maybe) stock blocks last longer in the 550 HP level and higher engine builds. KB blocks are rated higher than anything most of us will ever see or own.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/04/14 12:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Heck no.

A girdle is a band-aid to help (maybe) stock blocks last longer in the 550 HP level and higher engine builds. KB blocks are rated higher than anything most of us will ever see or own.

Thank you.
This is very true. At least in my case

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/05/14 11:30 AM

Quote:

At the traps at 7450 rpm, what motor were you using when you were S/ST?

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/05/14 11:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

May I ask what all you did to get 1050hp out of your 525 B1 motor?

And the reason I asking about 525 B1 motor making 1050hp is, that was my target number for my 572.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/05/14 11:52 AM

Quote:

As requested, This is a Aluminum World block, 572" K1 rotating assembly with 91 octane pump gas assembly, Indy 440-1 heads hand ported by Mopar Engines West (These are the actual heads that they made the most power with 765 IIRC in the 2006 Mopar Muscle Engine Challenge), .750 ish Comp roller cam, Indy 440-2 dominator manifold, 1250 Holley carb, KB Gear drive. Car weighs 2750 # with me in it, 4.10 geared dana , 727 with all the good stuff. So far 9.20 @144 in 85* heat and a junk track. This picture clicked the 60' beam at 1.379 (usually 1.27 60') and still ran a 9.29 @ 1.41 with 15 mph headwind on a hot track at 4:30 in the afternoon. Shift at 6800rpm , motor sees no more than 7000 through the traps. Car has been 9.04 @ 148 with 501" 14.2/1 comp motor prior, that motor would probably equal this one in these weather conditions but did not have the low end torque that the 572" makes or the weight reduction that this block provides.

What do you think your 572 would run if you were running more compression and race fuel?

My car is 2835 lbs. I had a 556 mega block in it. My dart would run in the quarter a
9.27 @ 143 and 1.34 60'.
I'm running a glide and 4.56 rear gears. On 32 x 14.5w slicks

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/05/14 06:59 PM

The 525 is the motor in the Cuda. Ran it in S/ST S/C and Q16 occasionally. I would say the reason it made the power it did was the heads. The other option is RPM, we had very good heads and were not afraid of RPM.

I say it made 1050+ because we never dynoed it after the first build and went quicker with subsequent rebuilds and changes. We ended up adding about 6 mph over the years through changes made to the engine combo. The biggest gains were when we swapped cams, fuel and piston design slightly. We never really had the car itself set up to run all out, it was a S/ST car first and foremost. We needed more gear and a looser converter to really get everything out of it in the car. Having said that we did manage to go 170+ best off the stop at seal level.

It will be getting freshened this winter. Likely no changes will be made to the car as it lives in super class racing. Don't thin we can get anymore out of what is there in this environment.

If you want any specific lets me know I can supply what ever you want. But the heads are the key to making power.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/05/14 07:47 PM

Quote:

The 525 is the motor in the Cuda. Ran it in S/ST S/C and Q16 occasionally. I would say the reason it made the power it did was the heads. The other option is RPM, we had very good heads and were not afraid of RPM.

I say it made 1050+ because we never dynoed it after the first build and went quicker with subsequent rebuilds and changes. We ended up adding about 6 mph over the years through changes made to the engine combo. The biggest gains were when we swapped cams, fuel and piston design slightly. We never really had the car itself set up to run all out, it was a S/ST car first and foremost. We needed more gear and a looser converter to really get everything out of it in the car. Having said that we did manage to go 170+ best off the stop at seal level.

It will be getting freshened this winter. Likely no changes will be made to the car as it lives in super class racing. Don't thin we can get anymore out of what is there in this environment.

If you want any specific lets me know I can supply what ever you want. But the heads are the key to making power.

With my 572 the 1050-1100 was the target number. I should have some flow numbers on my Original B1 heads in a few days. I will be getting a set of T&D paired rockers too. I was trying to keep this build as maintenance free as possible. When I get the flow numbers I was going to call Bullet Cams and get a 54mm roller cam ground.

What transmission are you running?

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/05/14 08:18 PM

FWIW My heads went 455+ on every flow bench they were ever on. I ran a Bullet cam eventually as well. Started with LSM. My cam choices tend to have a wider LSA than most, it has always worked well for me so we keep going there.

My set up has been extremely maintenance free, just ask anyone who has seen it run. I change springs once usually between freshen ups, those occur at about 400+- runs as we use aluminum rods. I could not tell you the last time I had to adjust the valve lash. We check it occasionally but never change anything. Maintenance has basically been oil changes and filter inspections.

We ran a 1.80 straight cut glide. The motor would have been happier with three gears but once again it is a S/ST car. The KISS principle applies here. We have never geared it for all out performance and it could have used a looser converter. The best we had performance wise was a WAY loose WAY inefficient 8" that stalled 7300 and had 22% slip. I ran it and won with an ATI 8" that stalled 65-6800 depending on altitude etc.
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/05/14 08:35 PM

Quote:

And the reason I asking about 525 B1 motor making 1050hp is, that was my target number for my 572.

After just building a max effort.. 15:1 572 w/ B1 originals, my goal was 1000hp... The best we could get out of it was 960-ish hp... and thats with .900 inch lift cam and ported heads that flowed 415 cfm.. Good luck with your build..

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/05/14 08:45 PM

Quote:

FWIW My heads went 455+ on every flow bench they were ever on. I ran a Bullet cam eventually as well. Started with LSM. My cam choices tend to have a wider LSA than most, it has always worked well for me so we keep going there.

My set up has been extremely maintenance free, just ask anyone who has seen it run. I change springs once usually between freshen ups, those occur at about 400+- runs as we use aluminum rods. I could not tell you the last time I had to adjust the valve lash. We check it occasionally but never change anything. Maintenance has basically been oil changes and filter inspections.

We ran a 1.80 straight cut glide. The motor would have been happier with three gears but once again it is a S/ST car. The KISS principle applies here. We have never geared it for all out performance and it could have used a looser converter. The best we had performance wise was a WAY loose WAY inefficient 8" that stalled 7300 and had 22% slip. I ran it and won with an ATI 8" that stalled 65-6800 depending on altitude etc.

In my Dart the whole glide and conversion kit is all ATI. It has a 1.76 first gear though I think that's one of the reasons it felt lazy out of the hole. I'm different in that I will be using steel rods. Were you running a single or dual fours? What intake manifold?

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/05/14 08:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

After just building a max effort.. 15:1 572 w/ B1 originals, my goal was 1000hp... The best we could get out of it was 960-ish hp... and thats with .900 inch lift cam and ported heads that flowed 415 cfm.. Good luck with your build..

Thank you.
You're not giving me much hope on my target numbers here. Ha ha ha ha!

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/05/14 08:51 PM

Cast single 4 UNPORTED, other than changing the inlet shape to oval and matching the carb bad to the gasket. Plenum was not touched. It is a very large manifold.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/05/14 09:02 PM

Quote:

Cast single 4 UNPORTED, other than changing the inlet shape to oval and matching the carb bad to the gasket. Plenum was not touched. It is a very large manifold.

Wow that's awesome! I've never seen them oval before. You're running a low deck block?
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/05/14 09:37 PM

Quote:

I will be getting a set of T&D paired rockers too.

My KB build will be targeted at 850 hp with 540 CID, Indy 440-1 CNC345 heads, just over 13 CR, alcohol, Comp Cams roller, 279/290 at 0.050", 112 LSA, 0.750" net lift with T&D paired 1.65 rockers.
The flow numbers on these heads are not much different than my old 440-1 headed 511, slightly better above 0.650" lift. But I wanted the T&D system for reliability with the roller cam.

Good luck with your new build.

Attached picture 8166888-Indy440-1CNC345small.jpg

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/05/14 10:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I will be getting a set of T&D paired rockers too.

My KB build will be targeted at 850 hp with 540 CID, Indy 440-1 CNC345 heads, just over 13 CR, alcohol, Comp Cams roller, 279/290 at 0.050", 112 LSA, 0.750" net lift with T&D paired 1.65 rockers.
The flow numbers on these heads are not much different than my old 440-1 headed 511, slightly better above 0.650" lift. But I wanted the T&D system for reliability with the roller cam.

Good luck with your new build.

Thank you. I sure like the T&D stuff!!!

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/06/14 04:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Wow that's awesome! I've never seen them oval before. You're running a low deck block?

Also, what size headers are you running?

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/06/14 06:53 PM

Headers are 2 1/8 to 2 1/4 with a set of Dynomax collector mufflers.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/06/14 07:27 PM

Quote:

Where might one find side exit headers and that size? The ones that poke out thru the side of the fender.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/06/14 08:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Cheatham-

Are you any farther on your build? Did you have any dyno time on your motor?
Posted By: Airwoofer

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/06/14 09:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Where might one find side exit headers and that size? The ones that poke out thru the side of the fender.

http://www.bobmazzoliniracing.com/shop#!/~/product/category=4308142&id=21205906

2" to 2 1/8 step with a 3 1/2" collector. Also Hedman Hustlers. I have a new set of the Hedmans if you are interested in those. I will be using the Mazzolini/TTI pro parts headers instead.

Or you can buy the smaller flange from Indy and get a set of 2 1/4 or 2 3/8 tube headers made. I believe that is what MoparAl has in mind after he bought the flanges I had. He is also building a B1 572.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/06/14 10:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

http://www.bobmazzoliniracing.com/shop#!/~/product/category=4308142&id=21205906

2" to 2 1/8 step with a 3 1/2" collector. Also Hedman Hustlers. I have a new set of the Hedmans if you are interested in those. I will be using the Mazzolini/TTI pro parts headers instead.

Or you can buy the smaller flange from Indy and get a set of 2 1/4 or 2 3/8 tube headers made. I believe that is what MoparAl has in mind after he bought the flanges I had. He is also building a B1 572.

This is more what I am looking for....

Attached picture 8167900-Header.PNG

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/19/14 10:18 AM

Quote:

Hi Al-
In your honest opinion, should I stay with 556ci or keep moving forward on the 572? I've sold my old motor. so I'm starting fresh either way. I'm waiting on my block to get done. So I'm at that point I need to make my mind up.
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/19/14 10:53 AM

Not Al, but if you're starting from scratch, go 604" 4.750 x 4.500..

Why not, you don't want to rev it up..

Chris..

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/19/14 11:35 AM

Quote:

Chris..

Hi Chris'sBarracuda-
I ordered a KB block. I don't think it has the clearance for a 4.750 crank. Maybe a 4.625 at the most. Then it also becomes harder to find parts. I was trying to not get greedy on the size. Also keeping it some what maintenance free. As much as possible anyways.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/19/14 12:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Chris..

Hi Chris'sBarracuda-
I ordered a KB block. I don't think it has the clearance for a 4.750 crank. Maybe a 4.625 at the most. Then it also becomes harder to find parts. I was trying to not get greedy on the size. Also keeping it some what maintenance free. As much as possible anyways.

Most likely it does clear.. The cam would be the only place it would be close. Guys do it all the time with KB Blocks..
It might even be possible with aluminum rods.. Just use 2.200 rod size..

Chris..

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/19/14 12:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Chris..

Hi Chris'sBarracuda-

Most likely it does clear.. The cam would be the only place it would be close. Guys do it all the time with KB Blocks..
It might even be possible with aluminum rods.. Just use 2.200 rod size..

Chris..

I ordered it with the journals for the 54mm cam. I'll be running the 7.1 steel rods, and the rod journals will be 2.2
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/19/14 01:27 PM

All I can add is go with a very good crank! I put a Ohio forged crank in my 528 and cracked it at 100 passes. I had no signs of detonation, just 2432 bob weight, which is heavy. I went with a Crower center counter weighted crank ($2300, ouch!)and on the next tear down I could see that the cap walk in my old Mega block was gone. From that I assume that center weighted crank flexs a LOT less, and it should be the last crank I ever buy for that motor.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/19/14 02:21 PM

Quote:

All I can add is go with a very good crank! I put a Ohio forged crank in my 528 and cracked it at 100 passes. I had no signs of detonation, just 2432 bob weight, which is heavy. I went with a Crower center counter weighted crank ($2300, ouch!)and on the next tear down I could see that the cap walk in my old Mega block was gone. From that I assume that center weighted crank flexs a LOT less, and it should be the last crank I ever buy for that motor.

Oh my gosh! I was just talking to Ohio yesterday about a crank. Thank you for saying something!!! That makes me want to throw up in my mouth just thinking about it

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/19/14 02:29 PM

I believe it to be a great long term investment. Especially if piston speed and bob weight are high. I talked to Crower about offset grinding this crank at 4.15 stroke with 2.375 journals to 2.100 SBC journals, and the response was it would be fine!

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/19/14 03:04 PM

Quote:

I believe it to be a great long term investment. Especially if piston speed and bob weight are high. I talked to Crower about offset grinding this crank at 4.15 stroke with 2.375 journals to 2.100 SBC journals, and the response was it would be fine!

Mine would be a 4.5 stroke. I've had input to the fact that I should go bigger on the stroke.
7.1 steel rod with the 2.2 journal. that comes in at 823 grams. Not sure about the 4.500 pistons yet. I'm not doing those till the block is sitting in front of me.
I'm also not familiar with a center counter weight crank.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/20/14 04:50 AM

Center counter weights are just that, two more in the middle, offsetting the rod/piston balance where it needs to be, directly under the cylinders rather than the other counter weights doing the job for all. Mustang 4.6 or 5.0 motors run them, or at least some do. Look at a fueler crank, they all have them.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/20/14 10:55 AM

Quote:

Center counter weights are just that, two more in the middle, offsetting the rod/piston balance where it needs to be, directly under the cylinders rather than the other counter weights doing the job for all. Mustang 4.6 or 5.0 motors run them, or at least some do. Look at a fueler crank, they all have them.

I guess I need to pay more attention. I feel stupid, But I've actually never noticed.
I am keeping in mind what you told me about Ohio. But I am checking on one of their billet cranks. Then maybe Crower.
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/20/14 11:55 AM

Here's a pic of a center counter weight crank. This one is a Bryant billet crank.

Attached picture 8181891-CleanCrank.jpg

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/20/14 12:40 PM

Quote:

Here's a pic of a center counter weight crank. This one is a Bryant billet crank.

That's really cool! I like that.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/20/14 12:46 PM

It's the exact combo you are looking for. 4.5" with Chevy 2.2 journal. It's gun drilled through the mains and rods. It's an ex fueler crank I got a smoking deal on.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/20/14 01:01 PM

Quote:

It's the exact combo you are looking for. 4.5" with Chevy 2.2 journal. It's gun drilled through the mains and rods. It's an ex fueler crank I got a smoking deal on.

Sounds like you were at the right place at the right time!
I wish the fueler guys I know ran Mopars. I wouldn't still be looking for a crank. They are all Chevy guys

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/20/14 01:10 PM

Quote:

The exact combo I'm looking for?
Are you not going to use it?

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/20/14 01:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Ummm yes it's in my motor now. Just pointing out other crank options for you. I'm getting it running tomorrow.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/20/14 01:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ummm yes it's in my motor now. Just pointing out other crank options for you. I'm getting it running tomorrow.

Damn! I had to try...
That's awesome that your firing it up tomorrow! Can't wait to hear about it!

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/20/14 01:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I guess I need to pay more attention. I feel stupid, But I've actually never noticed.
I am keeping in mind what you told me about Ohio. But I am checking on one of their billet cranks. Then maybe Crower.

I think Ohio makes a decent product, I just figure that a budget crank wasn't meant to go 7800 rpm in the lights at that heavy bob weight. Each level of product has a place, and I would run one in a lower rpm, lower hp app with out worry.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/20/14 02:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think Ohio makes a decent product, I just figure that a budget crank wasn't meant to go 7800 rpm in the lights at that heavy bob weight. Each level of product has a place, and I would run one in a lower rpm, lower hp app with out worry.

I'm hoping that their Billet Cranks, aren't too budget.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/20/14 05:12 PM

Defintely do yourself a favor and get the center counterweights added. Bryant, Crower, Moldex all can make you a crank but it takes time so be aware you need to get it ordered asap..

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/20/14 05:34 PM

Quote:

Defintely do yourself a favor and get the center counterweights added. Bryant, Crower, Moldex all can make you a crank but it takes time so be aware you need to get it ordered asap..

How long do they usually take?
I'm done for this season. I've had to give back all my sponsor money for the rest of the race season. That hurt.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/23/14 08:04 PM

Quote:

Right after you sent this to me, I inquired about it to Crower. No response yet. Thank you again for your input.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/23/14 11:55 PM

When you order, ask them what the journals will be size wise, to the ten thousandths. To get to .003 rod clearance I had to find a rather expensive + size bearing. If you have a shop do your assembly, get their input on the final journal sizes. Mine were on the small side, which caused the problem. Also ask about knife edging the counter weights. It is worth the hp to do it. Crower turns the counter weights on a lathe to balance the crank, rather than drill holes. I like that. Mine was made out of 304M steel, some pretty tuff stuff.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/24/14 12:03 AM

Bigcube-
How'd it go? Did you get it running?

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/24/14 12:07 AM

Quote:

When you order, ask them what the journals will be size wise, to the ten thousandths. To get to .003 rod clearance I had to find a rather expensive + size bearing. If you have a shop do your assembly, get their input on the final journal sizes. Mine were on the small side, which caused the problem. Also ask about knife edging the counter weights. It is worth the hp to do it. Crower turns the counter weights on a lathe to balance the crank, rather than drill holes. I like that. Mine was made out of 304M steel, some pretty tuff stuff.

gregsdart-
Thank you for the tip's. I will be sure to ask. I'm waiting to hear back from Crower.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/24/14 01:16 AM

Quote:

Bigcube-

Yes, very happy with the results

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=1#Post8180299

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/24/14 11:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Bigcube-

Yes, very happy with the results

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=1#Post8180299

I'm glad to hear it!

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/24/14 01:10 PM

Does anyone know if a 4.625 stroke crank with 2.2 rod journals and steel rods will have enough clearance, in a KB block with a 54mm cam?

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/24/14 05:04 PM

Quote:

How wide of a LSA do you like, or you've found to work well?

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/24/14 06:11 PM

Yes, we're doing that now with a 55mm cam and standard cam height, Oliver rods. It should be together soon.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/24/14 06:33 PM

Quote:

Yes, we're doing that now with a 55mm cam and standard cam height, Oliver rods. It should be together soon.

If you don't mind me asking...what all are you doing in your build? Could you tell me a little bit about it?

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/24/14 09:30 PM

Cam was on a 117 lobe center fwiw. I tend to generally be at 113+.

Our new engine is a 4.75 stoke deal with an Oliver rod and 60MM cam. But it is a raised cam deal as well. I am not a an of the big stroke stuff and we will see how this works. The large stroke pushed me to go with a dry sump as well to decrease windage from all that arm in there. Hopefully we will get some numbers by the end of August wit it. Already been on the dyno and were unhappy and block is getting some additional work in the lifter area as well as going to a dry sump.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/24/14 09:56 PM

Quote:

Cam was on a 117 lobe center fwiw. I tend to generally be at 113+.

Our new engine is a 4.75 stoke deal with an Oliver rod and 60MM cam. But it is a raised cam deal as well. I am not a an of the big stroke stuff and we will see how this works. The large stroke pushed me to go with a dry sump as well to decrease windage from all that arm in there. Hopefully we will get some numbers by the end of August wit it. Already been on the dyno and were unhappy and block is getting some additional work in the lifter area as well as going to a dry sump.

What kind of RPM are you running with it? The reason I'm asking is because I am a little stuck as what to run. A 4.500 stroke or 4.625 stroke crank. I've been waiting around for parts for so long that I'm second guessing my build.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/24/14 10:14 PM

Personally, I see no point in going with big stroke when you are cylinder head limited. Bore means more than stroke, as far as making the heads work better. The move from 4.500 to 4.750, in my opinion would gain you nothing, given the cylinder heads you have.

Monte

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/24/14 10:22 PM

I agree with Monte. I prefer not to go with the big stroke but have been convinced to try it. I also have a new crank on order to make this a smaller engine later. I will be curious to see the results of what going to a smaller cube deal will show later over this big one. If I were you I would look to stay at or UNDER 4.500". I am not a fan of even the 4.5" stroke deals. Most don't seem to run that well. Just my .02

Bore makes power. Unfortunately in a Mopar we are limited there for sure. My new deal is a Predator motor but these heads are still "nothing special" for sure. Just the only option to date I have not tried. The sad part is I will be giving up 150ish+ HP over what my 99 Hemi made at 499". FWIW that was a 4.700" stroke deal.

My new deal made peak at 7600 when we has it on the dyno.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/24/14 10:22 PM

Quote:

Personally, I see no point in going with big stroke when you are cylinder head limited. Bore means more than stroke, as far as making the heads work better. The move from 4.500 to 4.750, in my opinion would gain you nothing, given the cylinder heads you have.

Monte

Al is building the 4.750 stroke.
I'm torn between 4.500 and 4.625. I know my heads should flow some pretty good numbers. What are you feeling I'd need for a cylinder heads?

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/24/14 10:30 PM

Quote:

I agree with Monte. I prefer not to go with the big stroke but have been convinced to try it. I also have a new crank on order to make this a smaller engine later. I will be curious to see the results of what going to a smaller cube deal will show later over this big one. If I were you I would look to stay at or UNDER 4.500". I am not a fan of even the 4.5" stroke deals. Most don't seem to run that well. Just my .02

Bore makes power. Unfortunately in a Mopar we are limited there for sure. My new deal is a Predator motor but these heads are still "nothing special" for sure. Just the only option to date I have not tried. The sad part is I will be giving up 150ish+ HP over what my 99 Hemi made at 499". FWIW that was a 4.700" stroke deal.

I have to be honest.
You make horrendous power with smaller cubic inch engines for sure

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/24/14 10:42 PM

As Monte pointed out Bore has a much bigger affect than stroke on how much power is made. With Mopar heads just not sure the added stroke is worth the hassles. Look at the GM stuff, compare a 540 to a 555 to a 565. The difference is bore diameter. Stroke is the same on each of these engines and no question a 565 makes more power. All the GM motors make more power because they have a larger bore to work with. 4.600 is a big deal over a 4.500 bore for sure.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/24/14 11:09 PM

Quote:

As Monte pointed out Bore has a much bigger affect than stroke on how much power is made. With Mopar heads just not sure the added stroke is worth the hassles. Look at the GM stuff, compare a 540 to a 555 to a 565. The difference is bore diameter. Stroke is the same on each of these engines and no question a 565 makes more power. All the GM motors make more power because they have a larger bore to work with. 4.600 is a big deal over a 4.500 bore for sure.

Do you feel my B1's will be up for the challenge of the 572?
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/25/14 12:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

A 572 is a "square" motor, bore vs stroke and is usually a good choice. Given your heads, or pretty much ANY Mopar wedge head, in my opinion anything bigger is a waste of crank. Remember, the bigger the arm, the more it weighs. So going bigger stroke just nets you a heavier rotating assy, while probably NOT making enough extra power to overcome that, given the cylinder head limits. I would venture a guess that a fully ported original B-1 is likely all done at a 540 or 555. A B-1 MC might be a little better because of the larger intake valve, but will still be limited because of bore size..........Now, if you had MCs with the port floor raised way up, (ala PSO) and wanted to spin the motor to the moon, the stroke might help, but that gets you into a whole other realm of engine type, ie expensive.

Monte

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/25/14 12:24 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

A 572 is a "square" motor, bore vs stroke and is usually a good choice. Given your heads, or pretty much ANY Mopar wedge head, in my opinion anything bigger is a waste of crank. Remember, the bigger the arm, the more it weighs. So going bigger stroke just nets you a heavier rotating assy, while probably NOT making enough extra power to overcome that, given the cylinder head limits. I would venture a guess that a fully ported original B-1 is likely all done at a 540 or 555. A B-1 MC might be a little better because of the larger intake valve, but will still be limited because of bore size..........Now, if you had MCs with the port floor raised way up, (ala PSO) and wanted to spin the motor to the moon, the stroke might help, but that gets you into a whole other realm of engine type, ie expensive.

Monte

I had a 556 motor. 4.375 stroke 4.500 bore.
Motor was tired. So I figured since I'm there, why not go bigger?

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/25/14 11:39 AM

Quote:

Al-
didn't you run a 572 at one point? If you did, what heads did you use?

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/25/14 11:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

MR_P_BODY-

I would look at a full port job or close to it..
something like 360cfm or more... the alky takes up
volume in the port since you run 2X the amount of alky
vs gas

Mr P Body-
Could you chime in here too? Read the last few posts and give me your opinion please

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/25/14 11:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Cheatham-

Cheatham-
Read the last few posts( Its referring to crank sizes), and give your opinion too please

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/25/14 11:54 AM

Quote:

gregsdart-
You too please...Read the last few posts. It refers to crank and head sizes. I'd like to hear your opinion on this as well

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/25/14 12:01 PM

Quote:

Bigcube-
You should probably give your if you don't mind.
Read the last few posts. It's talking about crank stroke and head size. I would like to hear your opinion on this too. please?

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/25/14 12:42 PM

Monte and Al are spot on IMHO, and much more experienced with combos than me for sure. Looking at my latest combo, I chose a 4.15 stroke/4.500 bore over a 4.50 stroke 4.500 bore because I didn't feel I had the head flow to support a 572. I have about 375 cfm head flow at net valve lift in my motor, and it is all done making power at 6900 to 7000 rpm. A 604 motor would need 428 cfm of head flow to equal what I have, and still is hampered by the same size bore as I have, and hoping to push more air through it.
IMHO I would go 4.25 stroke 4.500 bore for 540 cubes. It is a great combo, and a local Supergas racer ran this combo in a low deck KB block with B1Mc heads twenty years ago, and was going as fast as anyone I have heard of since with those heads.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/25/14 01:26 PM

Quote:

Monte and Al are spot on IMHO, and much more experienced with combos than me for sure. Looking at my latest combo, I chose a 4.15 stroke/4.500 bore over a 4.50 stroke 4.500 bore because I didn't feel I had the head flow to support a 572. I have about 375 cfm head flow at net valve lift in my motor, and it is all done making power at 6900 to 7000 rpm. A 604 motor would need 428 cfm of head flow to equal what I have, and still is hampered by the same size bore as I have, and hoping to push more air through it.
IMHO I would go 4.25 stroke 4.500 bore for 540 cubes. It is a great combo, and a local Supergas racer ran this combo in a low deck KB block with B1Mc heads twenty years ago, and was going as fast as anyone I have heard of since with those heads.

I wasn't thinking that Al and Monty were steering me wrong. Everyone who has been kind enough to give me some pearls of wisdom about this monstrosity that I'm trying to put together. I wanted to hear your guys input as well.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/25/14 01:42 PM

Quote:

I want to keep the max RPM to around 7000 to 7100, if that helps . If there is something I should keep in mind as well, please speak your mind.

Well Greg.. In your own words.

That's why I said to go bigger.
I totally agree with Monte and Al, as I have a 540" B1. But it likes to make power up above where you want to be.
I actually liked my 528" better.
A good set of B1's should flow near 415-420 range.. They work well up to 555" range IMO.
If you don't want to spin the motor up above 7500+ then go bigger and make sure you get a cam, converter, and gear to match the low end power.
It really depends on what you intend to do with the car..

Chris.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/25/14 02:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I want to keep the max RPM to around 7000 to 7100, if that helps . If there is something I should keep in mind as well, please speak your mind.

Well Greg.. In your own words.

That's why I said to go bigger.
I totally agree with Monte and Al, as I have a 540" B1. But it likes to make power up above where you want to be.
I actually liked my 528" better.
A good set of B1's should flow near 415-420 range.. They work well up to 555" range IMO.
If you don't want to spin the motor up above 7500+ then go bigger and make sure you get a cam, converter, and gear to match the low end power.
It really depends on what you intend to do with the car..

Chris.

Everything you said is true. And I feel that my heads will flow in the 415-420 range. I also wanted to have a little room to grow on with the cubic inch. If you get what I mean.

As far as What I want to do with it is I want to go have fun drag racing. (Bracket racing) I want to build the motor to be fairly maintenance free. Just do the normal routine stuff to it. I am fine tearing it down at the end of the season and putting new bearings in and what not. I'd rather not be into the motor during the season if at all possible.(checking valve lash doesn't count)

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/25/14 02:18 PM

Yes I do understand better now after speaking with the many guru's here about head flow and cubic inch.
I knew a guy a while back that had a 596 Mopar Wedge. 4.625 stroke and 4.530 bore. he had very very nice parts in it. Heads flowed 420 I think. He could only get 1000 to 1010 hp out of it. It just didn't make sense to me. I still feel that his combo was off some too.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/25/14 02:22 PM

I mainly want to make sure I do this right. If I have to do it again I'll probably get divorced and have to come live with one of you on here

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/25/14 03:31 PM

my combo is my first big bore long stroke deal, i origanally wanted to do a big bore short stroke motor cuz of the weight of the car, i wanted a 540ci but mike @ muscle motors didnt have a 4.250 crank on hand and offered a 4.50 crank for the same money so i said ok, as light as my car is turning out i see its going to be a struggle to get it to hook with the long arm crank, im going to try it as is and if its a pain to get the car to hook up then ill change to a short stroke maybe in the 3.75 - 4.25 stroke to calm the low end down. this is going to be a run what you brung type car not a bracket or class type car.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/25/14 03:51 PM

I can understand that.
I'd like to see what my o'l fat girl can do with the new bullet. Then dial it back for some longevity and consistency.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/25/14 04:00 PM

Yes I have run 4.5 stroke stuff and IMO they ran like poo..Last one was a Stage V Hemi in my Barracuda car went 8.70's with that at 3000lbs. What a turd!!! The Stage V stuff was ok but it will be the last time I RACE an old school hemi unless I have a blower for sure. Had a lot f money in that motor for it performing like it did.

I do not understand why Mopar guys are so afraid of RPM. Only a few ways to make power and RPM is one of them. Especially if you are cylinder head limited RPM is the ONLY way to make power. If you build it right they will last just fine at a tad more RPM, but you have to have your comfort zone I suppose. IMO 8000-8500 in the traps is not gonna hurt anything and can be very durable if done right.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/25/14 04:39 PM

Quote:

Yes I have run 4.5 stroke stuff and IMO they ran like poo..Last one was a Stage V Hemi in my Barracuda car went 8.70's with that at 3000lbs. What a turd!!! The Stage V stuff was ok but it will be the last time I RACE an old school hemi unless I have a blower for sure. Had a lot f money in that motor for it performing like it did.

I do not understand why Mopar guys are so afraid of RPM. Only a few ways to make power and RPM is one of them. Especially if you are cylinder head limited RPM is the ONLY way to make power. If you build it right they will last just fine at a tad more RPM, but you have to have your comfort zone I suppose. IMO 8000-8500 in the traps is not gonna hurt anything and can be very durable if done right.

Why do you believe the reason is, that the motor with the 4.5 crank ran like poo?

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/25/14 04:57 PM

Quote:

I agree 100%... I have always been a rpm guy.. and
if you look at how HP/torque is measured... the number
of pulses in a minute(pulse being a firing) and the
more pulses you get in that minute the more power
it will make... its just a matter of building the
engine with light parts and good balance... most times
I turn down the counter weights on the crank to move
the weight in closer to the center line... then use
light pistons... big stroke makes a ton of torque
but that can cause issues at the line to maintain
traction... I always look at what a pro stock engine
is.. short stroke with big bores and a ton of rpm...
but you have to have heads and induction to support
the rpm then also you need good exhaust to get it out..
What I said before about running meth is that burns
2X the amount of fuels and that takes volume/area
to get that quantity in and out... if you were to
look at heads sold by different manufactures you will
see that they have larger valves and flow over the
gas versions of the same head

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/25/14 05:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I agree 100%... I have always been a rpm guy.. and
if you look at how HP/torque is measured... the number
of pulses in a minute(pulse being a firing) and the
more pulses you get in that minute the more power
it will make... its just a matter of building the
engine with light parts and good balance... most times
I turn down the counter weights on the crank to move
the weight in closer to the center line... then use
light pistons... big stroke makes a ton of torque
but that can cause issues at the line to maintain
traction... I always look at what a pro stock engine
is.. short stroke with big bores and a ton of rpm...
but you have to have heads and induction to support
the rpm then also you need good exhaust to get it out..
What I said before about running meth is that burns
2X the amount of fuels and that takes volume/area
to get that quantity in and out... if you were to
look at heads sold by different manufactures you will
see that they have larger valves and flow over the
gas versions of the same head

Honest, I'm not being a smart alec. How do you account for the same motor, going from race fuel to alcohol, making more power, if the extra alcohol is taking up more room and is cutting back on the much needed oxygen?

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/25/14 05:30 PM

Honest, I'm not being a smart alec. How do you account for the same motor, going from race fuel to alcohol, making more power, if the extra alcohol is taking up more room and is cutting back on the much needed oxygen?

They usually make more torque, but less HP at sea level tracks.. The idea is the more fuel you can put in an engine, the more air you get through it, and alcohol carries it's own oxygen molecule allowing better power in high altitude situations. At sea level, not so much. Also, alcohol is very consistent.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 06/25/14 05:40 PM

Quote:

They usually make more torque, but less HP at sea level tracks.. The idea is the more fuel you can put in an engine, the more air you get through it, and alcohol carries it's own oxygen molecule allowing better power in high altitude situations. At sea level, not so much. Also, alcohol is very consistent.

That is the main reason why I want to use it in this motor that I'm building. More consistency. Our actual elevation at the track is 2720 feet. Oh and the other reason I want to use alcohol is that it is WAY cheaper than C-16
Thank you for explaining about the alcohol carrying it's own oxygen molecule.

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 07/01/14 04:22 PM

Anyone have any rod recommendations? ( aluminum or steel )
Pros/Cons
Goods/Bads

Re: Requesting guidance on a new build.... - 04/01/15 10:26 PM

This is way over due and a much needed update on my build so far;

Well I did finally get my new wedge block a few months back.

- 4.500 bore KB block with the 54mm cam upgrade, in the standard cam location.
- K-1 crank 4.675 with 2.2 journals (4.675 is correct)
That makes 595ci.
- Molnar 7.1 rods
- Jesel belt drive
- B1-MC heads CNC ported. They flow 440 range on Intake, 300 range on Ex.
- Jesel paired shaft rocker arms, 1.7 ratio.
- I have a set of Billet Specialty valve covers being made. Had to do that to clear the rocker arms.

Been waiting over a month for Koffel's to get more B1 intakes made.
Haven't ordered a cam, pistons, lifters or push rods yet.
I will probably need a new tranny. Or severely upgrade the glide I have.
Needless to say it has been slow going.
© 2024 Moparts Forums