Moparts

big block distributor caps are to small!!! nitrous guys

Posted By: John Burdine

big block distributor caps are to small!!! nitrous guys - 05/08/14 10:45 AM

be nice if someone would make a distributor car/rotor for big block/MSD pro billet with a big diameter cap. could be 2 piece cap and just as it clears the valve cover the top could be 5" diameter. spread out the terminals. this would be good for nitrous/timing retards/phasing ect... $800 for an offset distributor is a bit steep.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: big block distributor caps are to small!!! nitrous guys - 05/08/14 02:07 PM

Not sure what brand it is, maybe Stephen will let us know...this is his dad's old KOS cuda.

Attached picture 8137974-Daurityhemi2.jpg
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: big block distributor caps are to small!!! nitrous guys - 05/08/14 02:29 PM

Msd adapt-a-cap doesn't fit big blocks? Just switched on my small block.
Posted By: Plumb Wired

Re: big block distributor caps are to small!!! nitrous guys - 05/08/14 02:33 PM

I have been trying to find one of the pre Indy offset distributors offered by NRC (Newman Racing Components)then Predator for awhile now. The ones I do find the sellers want more than they paid for them.
Posted By: Diablo

Re: big block distributor caps are to small!!! nitrous guys - 05/08/14 03:18 PM

Quote:

I have been trying to find one of the pre Indy offset distributors offered by NRC (Newman Racing Components)then Predator for awhile now. The ones I do find the sellers want more than they paid for them.

This is that I was thinking. I had the old NRC distributors on both our b1-TS engines and they were great. I think Indy now makes their own version but the price isn;t pretty. Your other option is going to the MSD Front mount belt distributors.

Attached picture 8137999-photo(2).JPG
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: big block distributor caps are to small!!! nitrous guys - 05/08/14 05:46 PM

MSD or Jesel front mount...
Posted By: RobR

Re: big block distributor caps are to small!!! nitrous guys - 05/08/14 06:24 PM

Quote:

I have brand new NRC distributors never been used..Blue and Natural..
Do you remember what they were worth NEW...$795.00
What do these guys want for their old dist???
I'll sell you one for what I have into them..
I use one on my low deck.

Re: big block distributor caps are to small!!! nitrous guys - 05/08/14 07:15 PM

Quote:

Jesel belt drive with distributor...hmm...maybe i'll sell my car and buy one...oh wait...then I wont have anything to put it on...thanks AL!
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: big block distributor caps are to small!!! nitrous guys - 05/08/14 07:22 PM

Quote:

Dont those only work if you have a timing belt?

Re: big block distributor caps are to small!!! nitrous guys - 05/08/14 07:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Dont those only work if you have a timing belt?

Yep. I think the set-up runs about $1700.

not sure if the MSD cap adapt fits the big mopar pro billet or if it will clear the valve cover.
anyone?
Posted By: Mopar-Al

Re: big block distributor caps are to small!!! nitrous guys - 05/08/14 07:36 PM

On one of my engines , I have a cap adapt on my msd distributor using -1 Indy heads and mega block
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: big block distributor caps are to small!!! nitrous guys - 05/08/14 07:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Jesel belt drive with distributor...hmm...maybe i'll sell my car and buy one...oh wait...then I wont have anything to put it on...thanks AL!

Posted By: sdaurity

Re: big block distributor caps are to small!!! nitrous guys - 05/08/14 09:12 PM

Quote:

Not sure what brand it is, maybe Stephen will let us know...this is his dad's old KOS cuda.

Pops had a feind chop the top off a chrysler one. And made 2 collars for the shaft and the housing and welded it all together. Its still on the car in the trailer.
Posted By: Plumb Wired

Re: big block distributor caps are to small!!! nitrous guys - 05/08/14 11:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have brand new NRC distributors never been used..Blue and Natural..
Do you remember what they were worth NEW...$795.00
What do these guys want for their old dist???
I'll sell you one for what I have into them..
I use one on my low deck.

I know the NRC's sold new for under $400 back in the day.

I have a Jesel belt drive, what is involved to use the front mounted distributor?
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: big block distributor caps are to small!!! nitrous guys - 05/09/14 01:06 AM

Buy one of these
http://proshop.summitracing.com/parts/jes-kdd-42100/overview/
if you already have the Belt drive.
Posted By: 70satelliteguy

Re: big block distributor caps are to small!!! nitrous guys - 05/09/14 01:58 AM

I am currently using an older Mopar MSD distributor(part# 8536) which uses a Chevrolet distributor cap! I don't know if they are available anymore but it works great for me. I run a crank trigger and the MSD Digital multi- retard box and phase my rotor 1/2 way between my maximum retard.
Mike
Posted By: Twostick

Re: big block distributor caps are to small!!! nitrous guys - 05/09/14 04:02 AM

Quote:

I am currently using an older Mopar MSD distributor(part# 8536) which uses a Chevrolet distributor cap! I don't know if they are available anymore but it works great for me. I run a crank trigger and the MSD Digital multi- retard box and phase my rotor 1/2 way between my maximum retard.
Mike

I have that style dist on mine too with the adjustable rotor and cap-a-dapt that uses the big Ford cap.

I'm pretty sure the cap-a-dapt and rotor are out of production at least for that distibutor.

Kevin
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: big block distributor caps are to small!!! nitrous guys - 05/09/14 06:30 AM

While nice, the large cap is not a must. Just keep the initial low, use a crank trigger, phase the rotor in the right spot and you will never have an issue

Monte
Posted By: jamesc

Re: big block distributor caps are to small!!! nitrous guys - 05/10/14 03:58 PM

Quote:

While nice, the large cap is not a must. Just keep the initial low, use a crank trigger, phase the rotor in the right spot and you will never have an issue

Monte

that's what i was thinking plus i always run a locked out crank trigger. if you have things set up right there shouldn't be an issue even if you're modifying the timing downtrack
© 2024 Moparts Forums