Moparts

Need help picking a turbo plz

Posted By: MNobody

Need help picking a turbo plz - 04/30/14 08:57 PM

Ok i want to put a pair of Turbos on a 318, about 7.25:1 actual comp. trying to figure out the right AR and Trim so it works right or better lol. I'd like to end up around 500hp but i'll take what i can get. Thanks
Posted By: all spooled up

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 04/30/14 09:41 PM

I have a twin 66mm gt35s turbo 318. this is what I run for turbos
compressor side a/r .70 trim 55 66mm inducer
turbine side a/r .82 trim .82 64mm inducer thay work great there good for 550hp each
Posted By: dizuster

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 04/30/14 10:35 PM

500hp total?!

I'm not sure if you can put two turbo's on a V8 and only make 500hp... lol

All kidding aside...I'd try two Mitsubishi 14B turbo's off the DSM stuff (Eclipse/Talon). Small enough that they'll spool, and they will support 500hp on a 318 with no issue. They are internally wastegated too, so it'll save you that expense.

Also why 7.25:1 compression? Are you trying to run non-intercooled 87 octane?

The low compression will hurt the spool up time as much/worse then the A/R will.

Unless you have a good reason to go twins, I would just put a cheap single GT45 turbo on it ($300). It will support 500hp without issue.
Posted By: TheOtherDodge

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz *DELETED* - 04/30/14 11:35 PM

Post deleted by TheOtherDodge

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/01/14 03:40 AM

Stock lower end so i figured i'd be nice to it, 500 will be plenty for a 2900 pound street car...for now. I have a 360 block waiting but money is tight and i figured i'd get the bugs worked out first, new to boost don't need to scatter a good block. I want the twins for the cool factor nothing else, i'm doing a twin carb draw through. I already have 2 complete turbo units from a couple old Buicks to get the carb manifolds(liquid cooled). Blow through is not an option please don't beat that Horse

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/01/14 03:45 AM

Quote:

turbine side a/r .82 trim .82 64mm inducer thay work great there good for 550hp each

I thought the turbine side needed a smaller AR and Trim, how fast do they spool? I'm afraid the already low compression i have might be an issue, just askin thanks!
Posted By: dvw

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/01/14 12:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I thought the turbine side needed a smaller AR and Trim, how fast do they spool? I'm afraid the already low compression i have might be an issue, just askin thanks!

Not to burst you bubble but that car will weight at least 3300 w/o driver.
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/01/14 01:32 PM

Yeah, I think it's a bit heavier than 2,900 pounds. Our '70 Dart weighs 3,400 without driver.

Turbo project sounds interesting, keep us posted on it.
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/01/14 01:57 PM

What year 318? It probably has a steel crank. I'm not sure the bottom end is the limit here.

Draw through? I'll just say compressing air is a lot easier than air/fuel. Plus increased charge cooling with blow through.

GT45. will make plenty of power, and be straight forward and easier to tune.

Not 2900. maybe if you have a 7.25 rear and no interior. My dart was fairly light for a street car. ~3200 with full bench interior, iron headed small block, alum rad, alum MC, alum wheels, manual steering, glass hood.
Posted By: Uberpube

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/01/14 03:21 PM

Quote:

500hp total?!

I'm not sure if you can put two turbo's on a V8 and only make 500hp... lol

All kidding aside...I'd try two Mitsubishi 14B turbo's off the DSM stuff (Eclipse/Talon). Small enough that they'll spool, and they will support 500hp on a 318 with no issue. They are internally wastegated too, so it'll save you that expense.

Also why 7.25:1 compression? Are you trying to run non-intercooled 87 octane?

The low compression will hurt the spool up time as much/worse then the A/R will.

On my turbo car, everytime I dropped compression the spool got better and it made more power everywhere.
I am in the process of dropping from 8.5 to 7.8.
It seems counterintuitive but on a boosted car the lower the CR the better.

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/01/14 03:26 PM

Quote:

Stock lower end so i figured i'd be nice to it, 500 will be plenty for a 2900 pound street car...for now.

I'll let you weigh it when you're done... but you're right 500hp is safe on the stock lower end as long as you’re careful with the tuneup (boost/timing/fuel).

Quote:

I have a 360 block waiting but money is tight and i figured i'd get the bugs worked out first, new to boost don't need to scatter a good block.

Nothing wrong with the 318. It will require just a little bit more RPM then the 360, but it will make plenty of power. Lots of 302/331 mustangs out there making 1000+ hp. The only benefit of the 360 block is the bigger main if you're going to run a cast crank. And it will spool slightly better because of the bigger engine size. But nothing to worry about.

Quote:

I want the twins for the cool factor nothing else,

Nothing wrong with that. Just know you're in for more fab, more money, etc... You can easily meet your goals with one small turbo and less work, but I get it. My motor would be a lot faster in an A-body too… different is ok.

Quote:

i'm doing a twin carb draw through. I already have 2 complete turbo units from a couple old Buicks to get the carb manifolds(liquid cooled). Blow through is not an option please don't beat that Horse

I am more than happy to beat this dead horse to save you despite yourself... lol

Think about this REAL hard for a second. If you're already defending this because EVERYBODY is telling you not to do it...you should have a DAMN good reason not to go blowthru. And "cool factor" is certainly not a good enough reason. Drivability, power, difficulty to tune, and most importantly the ability to get help from people, all outweigh whatever reason you think you should do drawthrough!!!!!

If this is your first turbo project, and you’re still asking simple questions about A/R and sizing, you’re probably not in a position to try something extremely difficult, and outside the mainstream.

Do yourself a favor and build it blow through. The project will be complicated enough as it is, and you will have a steep learning curve just to make a conventional turbo deal work. There is no good reason that you would want to make this 10x harder on yourself. You’ll end up frustrated with a pile of broken parts.

Isn’t a twin turbo 318” cool enough? LOL
Posted By: Duner

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/01/14 03:53 PM

Quote:

On my turbo car, everytime I dropped compression the spool got better and it made more power everywhere.

I wonder how much of that perceived better spool was because the engine was already working so much harder just to run that it was already on the threshold of building boost?

Was that on a V8 engine?
Posted By: GTS340

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/01/14 04:52 PM

Quote:

Stock lower end so i figured i'd be nice to it, 500 will be plenty for a 2900 pound street car...for now. I have a 360 block waiting but money is tight and i figured i'd get the bugs worked out first, new to boost don't need to scatter a good block. I want the twins for the cool factor nothing else, i'm doing a twin carb draw through. I already have 2 complete turbo units from a couple old Buicks to get the carb manifolds(liquid cooled). Blow through is not an option please don't beat that Horse

Draw through really??? Don't know why anyone would make a conscious decision to pursue something that is sure to be extremely frustrating and time consuming. It's challenging enough to do with blow through! Might want to switch to points ignition, bias ply tires, and 4 corner manual mechanical brakes to keep moving forward with the latest and greatest cutting edge technology!
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/01/14 05:06 PM

I think he has a pair of OLD manifolds and carbs from
the early set up... there is a reason they dropped
that set up... I worked on a buddies old V6 with that
draw through set up... what a PITA to get it right

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/01/14 05:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Not to burst you bubble but that car will weight at least 3300 w/o driver.

She's been lightened up a bit but 2900 is prob a little on the low side

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/01/14 05:33 PM

my 318 has 10.5 comp turbos spool good at 3000 rpm on the trans brake

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/01/14 05:37 PM

If i go blow through i have to change the regulator,pump,add a return line to the cell, pay to have the carb modded.
From what i've read blow through has it's fair share of problems on the street with it's tuning.
So really, why shouldn't i do draw through?
I have a friend that ran a draw through setup on a 350 nova back in the day and it was very streetableand fun to drive.
I was a metal fabricator, i am now a carpenter of 26 years and my Dad was a mopar mechanic for 36 years i know a little bit about building things from nothing.
Just needed some help picking turbo sizes.
You guy's need to broaden your horizons

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/01/14 06:20 PM

Quote:

If i go blow through i have to change the regulator,pump,add a return line to the cell, pay to have the carb modded.

You can't say, "I am ok with the cost of two turbos, two carbs, and two intakes, and I am a 26 year fabricator." And then in the same breath that adding a new pump, and running one return line as being reasons against going to the better carb system.

Quote:

From what i've read blow through has it's fair share of problems on the street with it's tuning.

Compared to EFI maybe. But other then that, not at all. I have made one high speed air bleed change, and jetting changes... that's IT. Also, if you think putting two separate carbs WAY upstream, in a home made intake manifold is going to work better at idle/cruise then setting a carb on a regular intake... you're in for a surprise.

Quote:

If you are honestly asking that question, you have clearly not looked into the reasons yourself.
-Cold starts can be awful... and considering you are in Michigan it's a real concern around here?
-Draw through severely limits your turbo choices because you'll need a carbon seal type to keep it from sucking oil at anything but WOT.
-There are VERY few people to help you when this doesn't work or has issues (since the rest of the world has abandoned this technology decades ago).
-Can't use an intercooler.
-No BOV system to protect the turbo/carb from backfire.

Etc...

Quote:

I have a friend that ran a draw through setup on a 350 nova back in the day and it was very streetableand fun to drive.

My guess is the time that has passed between "back in the day" and "now" has faded your memory of just how bad it was.

Quote:

I was a metal fabricator, i am now a carpenter of 26 years and my Dad was a mopar mechanic for 36 years i know a little bit about building things from nothing.

I don't think anyone questioned your fabrication skills. But since you've NEVER built or tuned a turbo mopar, you'd think you would be a little more open minded to those that HAVE done it.

Quote:

Pretty gutsy comment to make to a bunch of people with a LOT more experience then you who are trying to help.

So you never answered the question. Aside from being stubborn...why WOULD you want to do a draw through.

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/01/14 06:32 PM

Quote:

Sounds like you've got a firm decision on draw through and have all the resources you need to make it work great. Good luck

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/01/14 08:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You can't say, "I am ok with the cost of two turbos, two carbs, and two intakes, and I am a 26 year fabricator." And then in the same breath that adding a new pump, and running one return line as being reasons against going to the better carb system.

Quote:

Compared to EFI maybe. But other then that, not at all. I have made one high speed air bleed change, and jetting changes... that's IT. Also, if you think putting two separate carbs WAY upstream, in a home made intake manifold is going to work better at idle/cruise then setting a carb on a regular intake... you're in for a surprise.

Quote:

If you are honestly asking that question, you have clearly not looked into the reasons yourself.
-Cold starts can be awful... and considering you are in Michigan it's a real concern around here?
-Draw through severely limits your turbo choices because you'll need a carbon seal type to keep it from sucking oil at anything but WOT.
-There are VERY few people to help you when this doesn't work or has issues (since the rest of the world has abandoned this technology decades ago).
-Can't use an intercooler.
-No BOV system to protect the turbo/carb from backfire.

Etc...

Quote:

My guess is the time that has passed between "back in the day" and "now" has faded your memory of just how bad it was.

Quote:

I don't think anyone questioned your fabrication skills. But since you've NEVER built or tuned a turbo mopar, you'd think you would be a little more open minded to those that HAVE done it.

Quote:

Pretty gutsy comment to make to a bunch of people with a LOT more experience then you who are trying to help.

So you never answered the question. Aside from being stubborn...why WOULD you want to do a draw through.

Because thats what i'm going to do and i don't see where i'm being stubborn that seems to be your dept. You have your way i have mine. And i'm not questioning anyones expert opinion, i've heard all the cons over and over. I'm looking for help doing it my way not yours.

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/01/14 08:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Sounds like you've got a firm decision on draw through and have all the resources you need to make it work great. Good luck

Thank you, i'm going to try.

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/01/14 08:17 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I think it's a bit heavier than 2,900 pounds. Our '70 Dart weighs 3,400 without driver.

Holy Crap how much of that POR stuff did you use?

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/01/14 08:19 PM

Quote:

my 318 has 10.5 comp turbos spool good at 3000 rpm on the trans brake

Thanks for the info that sounds like a fun ride.

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/01/14 08:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Have you weighed yours yet... I had a 69 Valiant
that was 2900#... gutted with a mild steel back half..
lots of luck with your project

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/01/14 08:21 PM

Quote:

Because thats what i'm going to do and i don't see where i'm being stubborn ...

So your answer to why you would do it is, "Because."

That's sort of the definition of stubborn.

stub·born

/ˈstəbərn/

adjective

adjective: stubborn

having or showing dogged determination not to change one's attitude or position on something, especially in spite of good arguments or reasons to do so.

Quote:

I've heard all the cons over and over. I'm looking for help doing it my way not yours.

Well the internet is probably the wrong place to be looking then. I suggest you try books... preferably dusty ones with black and white pictures. Only those will have the encouragement that you're looking for doing the right thing with cutting edge technology.

Good luck.

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/01/14 08:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That a 68 GT? No way it's 2900 unless you've got lots of fiberglass and gutted. Close to 3300 if it hasn't been thoroughly lightened!

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/01/14 08:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks, i havn't weighed it and don't care all i know is the piece of crap in it now ain't no fun anymore. Even with all the go fast parts it probably only makes 225 at the crank, not acceptable. And when i go the 360 route it will be costly cause it's getting a stroker kit so i'm just looking to have some fun at my expense before it get's expensive lol. Just planning on picking up some cheap turbos and learning a few things, my reading retention sucks so i learn hands on.

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/01/14 08:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks, i havn't weighed it and don't care all i know is the piece of crap in it now ain't no fun anymore. Even with all the go fast parts it probably only makes 225 at the crank, not acceptable. And when i go the 360 route it will be costly cause it's getting a stroker kit so i'm just looking to have some fun at my expense before it get's expensive lol. Just planning on picking up some cheap turbos and learning a few things, my reading retention sucks so i learn hands on.

Where in Mich do you live... I'm starting a TT project
now but a blow through... twin turbo gen 3 hemi
with twin inner coolers for my Rampage

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/01/14 09:34 PM

Good luck on your project!

Although, after playing with turbo stuff for awhile - your pain threshold must be pretty high - or will need to be to see it to the end and call it tuned to your expectations. There's a reason people don't do things that way anymore, which I'm betting you will find out for yourself. Just remember - everybody TRIED to help! LOL

But honestly, good luck with your project and take lots of pics!
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/01/14 11:03 PM

Can anybody plot the range and trajectory of a carburetor after it goes thru the hood under a 10 PSI of boost backfire? 20 PSI?

What would the effect be steel vs 'glass hood, right vs left carb?

Seriously, quickd100 has had some success blowing up a 318 with a draw thru running a single Thermoquad and making the numbers you are looking for and then some.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post8039781

Kevin

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/02/14 12:14 AM

Quote:

Can anybody plot the range and trajectory of a carburetor after it goes thru the hood under a 10 PSI of boost backfire? 20 PSI?

Seriously, quickd100 has had some success blowing up a 318 with a draw thru running a single Thermoquad and making the numbers you are looking for and then some.

Kevin

I found if you use the Mopar factory accelerator cable will keep it from going very far.
Doug

Attached picture 8130906-P1010491(640x480).jpg

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/02/14 12:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Where in Mich do you live... I'm starting a TT project
now but a blow through... twin turbo gen 3 hemi
with twin inner coolers for my Rampage

Your gonna break that little Rampage lol my brother had one years ago, cool little trucks. I'm over near Jackson.

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/02/14 12:29 AM

My Dad got to test drive a twin turbo Shelby Charger that the boys from the proving grounds were playing with, said it ran like scalded cat but tried to pull you in the ditch! Torque steer was still an issue lol

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/02/14 01:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Kevin

I found if you use the Mopar factory accelerator cable will keep it from going very far.
Doug

Thats cheating you got one of them fancy intakes thats made to blow apart.

But fine i get it and i like my bulg hood.
Any suggestions on a decent affordable pump, regulator and any any other stuff i'll need to go Blowthrough? You guys nag more than my wife.

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/02/14 01:15 AM

Your gonna break that little Rampage lol my brother had one years ago, cool little trucks. I'm over near Jackson.

Naa...its a moly tube chassis

Attached picture 8130967-DSC00232.JPG

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/02/14 01:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Kevin

Doug

Any suggestions on a decent affordable pump, regulator and any any other stuff i'll need to go Blowthrough? You guys nag more than my wife.

Seems like cost is a huge factor. Don't know how low buck you could complete a hack job turbo setup because it's not how I operate, but I can tell you if you choose a cast 4.000 crank from Ohio, Scat I beams, and KB hyper pistons that stroker project for the 360 block wouldn't be too pricey granted you've got heads that could support it. By the mention of go fast parts I'm guessing you've got decent cylinder heads, and if you do why did you put them on a short block so low in compression?

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/02/14 02:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Kevin

Doug

Seems like cost is a huge factor. Don't know how low buck you could complete a hack job turbo setup because it's not how I operate, but I can tell you if you choose a cast 4.000 crank from Ohio, Scat I beams, and KB hyper pistons that stroker project for the 360 block wouldn't be too pricey granted you've got heads that could support it. By the mention of go fast parts I'm guessing you've got decent cylinder heads, and if you do why did you put them on a short block so low in compression?

Bought it that way. I was told it had 10.1:1 ross pistons in it, wrong. Pistons are .092 in the hole with 72cc chambers in the heads and a .056 thick head gasket 4.060 bore. I've got a whopping .017 piston to valve clearance on the intakes, the heads are 360 j's with 2.02 intake and stock exhaust. They never even swapped out the exhaust seats, they were hammered and the original reason it came apart. The .528 solid cam is the only reason it lives, i shift at 6800 and i've beat the crap outta it with no issues yet....

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/02/14 02:22 AM

Quote:

Now that's cool, and you can throw beer kegs in the back to help with traction

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/02/14 02:24 AM

Quote:

Does it still have the 4 in it or did you squeeze something else in there?

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/02/14 02:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

There isnt any bed in the back... I put a 416 in it..
should run 9.80 - 10.0

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/02/14 03:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

There isnt any bed in the back... I put a 416 in it..
should run 9.80 - 10.0

Thats gotta be fun!

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/02/14 04:14 AM

Good luck on your build, hope it works out. Just food for thought. That budget ugly 62 Savoy 4 door has gone fairly quick with a nearly stock 360. 10.08@136 with a 3.23 gear in street trim at 3700lbs.
Doug
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/02/14 04:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Kevin

Doug

I forgot about the OEM carb tether system.

Does that pass NHRA tech or do you require an additional "approved" one?

Kevin

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/02/14 05:11 AM

Quote:

Good luck on your build, hope it works out. Just food for thought. That budget ugly 62 Savoy 4 door has gone fairly quick with a nearly stock 360. [Email]10.08@136[/Email] with a 3.23 gear in street trim at 3700lbs.
Doug

Sounds fairly quick enough for me, i have a spare 742 case with 3:23 gears waiting myself, thanks for the info!

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/02/14 05:14 PM

I finaly agreed to go blow through and my Naysayers disappeared? I guess i'll give up my nightmare and just go single turbo single carb blow through financialy it will get on the road quicker.

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/02/14 05:19 PM

Quote:

I finaly agreed to go blow through and my Naysayers disappeared? I guess i'll give up my nightmare and just go single turbo single carb blow through financialy it will get on the road quicker.

A very good choice... with that set up you can/will
have help from people that have or are running the same
style package... plus you get a larger choice of turbos
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/02/14 06:25 PM

I think you will be better off. Hope you take pics and post em.

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/02/14 11:18 PM

Member 67 Satelite is going to sell me his Gt42, sounds like that will do the job, thanks!

Still waitin on my buddys to recommend a pump,regulator, and so on. Lol. I have -8 from the cell do i need that big as a return or can i go to -6 ?

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/02/14 11:29 PM

Quote:

Member 67 Satelite is going to sell me his Gt42, sounds like that will do the job, thanks!

Still waitin on my buddys to recommend a pump,regulator, and so on. Lol. I have -8 from the cell do i need that big as a return or can i go to -6 ?

Its always best to match the supply line or go larger
so you dont make too much pressure in the return...
just get a boost reference regulator... I have a Mallory
thats boost referenced on my NA set up already for
when I change over

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/03/14 12:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

when I change over

Lol that thing is gonna be crazy, how much does it weigh?
Ok on the regulator, now i was looking at 140 gph pumps but what pressure will it need to be? Or Can i hook 2 holley blue's together to get 28 psi

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/03/14 12:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

when I change over

Lol that thing is gonna be crazy, how much does it weigh?
Ok on the regulator, now i was looking at 140 gph pumps but what pressure will it need to be? Or Can i hook 2 holley blue's together to get 28 psi

It should in the 2800#-2900# range... no you cant
parallel 2 holleys to get 28#...when you do that you
gain flow.. not pressure... since your going to run
a carb you need flow but maintain the 7-71/2 psi..
if you go injected you need in the 50# range

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/03/14 12:32 AM

for the pump u need 6 psi at idle and 1 psi for each pound of boost so 10 pounds of boost is a min 16 psi fuel pressure and a boost reference fuel pressure regulator with return min - 8an line

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/03/14 02:23 AM

Quote:

for the pump u need 6 psi at idle and 1 psi for each pound of boost so 10 pounds of boost is a min 16 psi fuel pressure and a boost reference fuel pressure regulator with return min - 8an line

Gotcha Thanks!
Posted By: Uberpube

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/03/14 02:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I wonder how much of that perceived better spool was because the engine was already working so much harder just to run that it was already on the threshold of building boost?

Was that on a V8 engine?

I'd like to dig into this further when I have more time but I will add this:
I have had my own dynos for almost 10 years so I test every change I make to my car. The power curve started higher and earlier with nothing more than an comp change, it was 400 rpm earlier and 28 rwhp or so higher , same turbo, same tune, same boost controller.
The car was a rotary, but its still a 4 stroke motor. The comp change makes the total volume of the cylinder or chamber larger.
Dave Vizard wrote a lot about this in his books, and was the deciding factor for me to take the motor apart to go down to 8.5:1 from 9:1. I put his theories to the test and its proven itself. The interesting thing is the 8.5:1 rotors are actually heavier than the the 9:1 rotors, and the engine still made more power with the 8.5's.
When he says on the cover, speed secrets for any engine , he isn't kidding.

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/03/14 04:19 AM

Sounds good to me, lower compression i got

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/03/14 03:44 PM

67 Satelite put the Turbo in the mail headin my way and i havn't even paid the man yet. That's what's best about Mopar people

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/06/14 03:21 PM

Will this work for a pump?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pfs-70150/overview/

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/06/14 03:44 PM

Geez, can't find an affordable return style ,boost referenced regulator with a gauge port that goes low enough for a carb,Any suggestions gentlemen? Ty.

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/06/14 03:54 PM

fpr part number 13301 aeromotive 3-65 psi 136.00 summit or jegs

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/06/14 08:05 PM

Quote:

Yep i seen that one but it doesn't have a gauge port or is there another way to connect a gauge under the hood? Thanks!

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/06/14 08:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yep i seen that one but it doesn't have a gauge port or is there another way to connect a gauge under the hood? Thanks!

T a gauge in at the carb

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/07/14 12:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

T a gauge in at the carb

I'm an idiot, the T i have that splits the carb line has the gauge in it, for some reason i thought the gauge screwed into the regulator.....

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/07/14 12:49 AM

How about this pump?

Thanks

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/07/14 01:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

T a gauge in at the carb

I'm an idiot, the T i have that splits the carb line has the gauge in it, for some reason i thought the gauge screwed into the regulator.....

Any point down stream of the reg is the same pressure

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/07/14 01:44 AM

Quote:

How about this pump?

Thanks

It could be marginal... as you add pressure you reduce
flow rate... so it might be a issue depending on
how much boost you plan on and rpm

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/07/14 03:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

How about this pump?

Thanks

How about this one
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpn-gsl392bx/overview/

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/07/14 03:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

How about this pump?

Thanks

How about this one

To be honest you dont need that pressure but you want
flow... will it work.. yes but thats a lot of wasted
pressure so you need a good return(big)

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/07/14 03:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

How about this pump?

Thanks

How about this one

that one will work, for what you are doing, lots of mild to medimum v8 blow tru guys use those

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/07/14 03:53 AM

if your looking for 500 hp u need a 83 gph gallons per hour to make 500 hp. the expert blow thr carb guys say fuel pressure 7 psi at idle; say 10 psi boost, 6 psi for line loses for bends turns ext in your fuel line system to carb. so for 10 psi of boost you should be able to have 23 psi fuel pressure and 83 gph.. I donot know on your 318 but I think u whould need about 10 pounds of boost to make 500 hp

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/07/14 04:10 AM

Quote:

if your looking for 500 hp u need a 83 gph gallons per hour to make 500 hp. the expert blow thr carb guys say fuel pressure 7 psi at idle; say 10 psi boost, 6 psi for line loses for bends turns ext in your fuel line system to carb. so for 10 psi of boost you should be able to have 23 psi fuel pressure and 83 gph.. I donot know on your 318 but I think u whould need about 10 pounds of boost to make 500 hp

Well i'll pick one along that line, thanks!
Posted By: turboplymouth

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/07/14 05:57 AM

I've been using the 255 walbro and mallory 4309 reg. for years, -8 feed and return with no pressure creep problems. You are going to want a gauge to read while driving to verify the pressure is increasing with boost.

Re: Need help picking a turbo plz - 05/07/14 02:57 PM

Quote:

I've been using the 255 walbro and mallory 4309 reg. for years, -8 feed and return with no pressure creep problems. You are going to want a gauge to read while driving to verify the pressure is increasing with boost.

Thanks for the info, didn't think of a gauge inside that would be a must. Frickin fuel pumps are expensive

Update - 05/25/14 04:21 AM

Got the 2 in 1 done
With the Turbo in place i have 1 1/2" hood clearance to the compressor housing is that ok? Enough room to get a blanket on it?

Attached picture 8154842-image.jpg

Re: Update - 05/25/14 05:21 AM

Quote:

Got the 2 in 1 done
With the Turbo in place i have 1 1/2" hood clearance to the compressor housing is that ok? Enough room to get a blanket on it?

Also can i mount the wastegate toward the front of the pipe that the turbo flange is mounted to? thanks!

Re: Update - 05/25/14 05:33 AM

Quote:

Got the 2 in 1 done

I dont want to tell you what to do... but throw that
in the trash... get some mandrel bent tubing and Y
it together.. dont run a T like that and how thick is
that turbo flange.. maybe 1/4".. make it thicker or
its just gonna worp all to hell

Re: Update - 05/25/14 03:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Got the 2 in 1 done

I got a chuckle out of that pic. I love the parts store crinkle bend exhaust tubing! From reading this thread it seems it should be called boosting on a budget...
And yes, definitely Y the merge point.

Re: Update - 05/25/14 03:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Got the 2 in 1 done

I got a chuckle out of that pic. I love the parts store crinkle bend exhaust tubing! From reading this thread it seems it should be called boosting on a budget...

He is gonna need a expansion coupler in between the
2 sides so it doesnt crack the two when it heats and
cools

Re: Update - 05/25/14 06:32 PM

Oh like this?

Attached picture 8155258-2011-10-15_11-23-36_651(1024x577).jpg

Re: Update - 05/25/14 06:39 PM

Are you guys trying to deny him the opportunity to learn from mistakes?

Re: Update - 05/25/14 06:47 PM

Keep at it. Don't listen to these guys. Your setup is going to really surprise the heck out of yourself. And you will be up and running pretty soon by the looks of it.

Re: Update - 05/26/14 02:29 AM

Quote:

Keep at it. Don't listen to these guys. Your setup is going to really surprise the heck out of yourself. And you will be up and running pretty soon by the looks of it.

BS... its gonna cause him all sorts of issues with
that pipe Ting into the other... to the OP.. Y it in
so you dont crash the exhaust into one another..
and doing it that way can cause a back pressure that
sure isnt needed..... I just dont want him to get
all pissed off later when things dont work right

Re: Update - 05/26/14 04:22 AM

Got a piece of flex at the bottom joining the 2 . Yes it's a budget job, when i'm done and have some extra cash to pay for it i'll take the already clamped together junk in and they can use it for a pattern. You guys talked me into blowthrough now i'm looking at $350 for a pump and $160 for a regulator and so on that i didn't have in the budget. Sorry if the parts don't meet your taste. Shoulda known better than to even come in here. Have a nice life i'm out of here goodbye Moparts.

Re: Update - 05/26/14 04:57 AM

Weren't trying to criticize, maybe constructive criticism. I see this too many times a novice guy wants something and goes the cheapest route possible only to shoot himself in the foot so to speak, yes motorsports item are not cheap everyone knows that, I hate to see a guy pay for something three times over when he could've done it right the first time!

Re: Update - 05/26/14 05:12 AM

Way to run a guy off!
Shove the Constructive Critisism !
The guy was making progress and it would have worked fine.
Just because yall are to good to hack something together to experiment does not give y'all the right to discourage a fellow hot rod'er. If you don't like it set back and keep your thoughts to your self.

Re: Update - 05/26/14 05:13 AM

Quote:

Got a piece of flex at the bottom joining the 2 . Yes it's a budget job, when i'm done and have some extra cash to pay for it i'll take the already clamped together junk in and they can use it for a pattern. You guys talked me into blowthrough now i'm looking at $350 for a pump and $160 for a regulator and so on that i didn't have in the budget. Sorry if the parts don't meet your taste. Shoulda known better than to even come in here. Have a nice life i'm out of here goodbye Moparts.

I'm just trying to help you out... I've done this stuff
before plus I did it for a living at Chrysler... I'm
not trying to rain on you but if you do it that way
you will be doing it again the right way.. and it
could cost a lot more than a few pipes

Re: Update - 05/26/14 05:16 AM

Quote:

Way to run a guy off!
Just because yall are to good to hack something together to experiment does not give y'all the right to discourage a fellow hot rod'er. If you don't like it set back and keep your thoughts to your self.

PISS OFF... you know DAMN WELL I was trying to help him
and save him money from doing it again

Re: Update - 05/26/14 12:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Way to run a guy off!

PISS OFF... you know DAMN WELL I was trying to help him
and save him money from doing it again

Always more cost effective to do it correctly the first time, plus how discouraged would this guy be if he got it all together after all those hours spent fabbing stuff only to find out it didn't work worth a crap??
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Update - 05/26/14 12:54 PM

Quote:

what a crock of crap, people are trying to help you. with that attitude don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Re: Update - 05/26/14 01:29 PM

Maybe we just weren't nice enough for his taste.

He should go post that picture on the bullet...I'm sure they would treat him a lot better..lol

Re: Update - 05/26/14 03:43 PM

Quote:

He should go post that picture on the bullet...I'm sure they would treat him a lot better..lol

Lots of very friendly and helpful people on YB

Re: Update - 05/26/14 05:14 PM

Nobody is born "all knowing." People learn by doing - and either learn from their own mistakes or mistakes made by others. It's FAR easier to learn from other's mistakes. It doesn't cost time or money. Unfortunately this previously learned knowledge from learning from other's mistakes does come with a price. Nobody likes criticism, constructive or otherwise. The price is swallowing your pride enough to understand what and why they are saying what they say to help you.

If you don't want to "pay" that price - you are ALWAYS free to learn from your own mistakes like most of us have before the internet became such a good tool for disseminating information. We all learned the hard way. We are certainly willing to help people learn the easier way - but we may not all be the best "teachers." We put things in terms that we understand and I guess we don't sugarcoat it as much as some would like. We're sorry we're so gruff and to the point. After all, we're gear heads, not teachers. We're here to try and help - even IF it doesn't seem like it to you right now.

You're headed in the right direction. Grow thicker skin and soak up the knowledge that's trying to be passed to you…. even if it's not worded as nicely as you would like. The price really isn't that high.
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: Update - 05/26/14 06:48 PM

Quote:

Moparts is by far the most conservative forum I have seen. I too needed a break from the purple shaft crowd a few years back, but I came back after a while...haha

I see the OP is in MI, the kicker is, I am sure alot of local folks would be willing to spend an evening in the shop with him and go over some ideas (depending on how close he is). I have not built myself a turbo car (yet), but I am helping a buddy with a 5.3/GT45 combo in a fox body, and I do this stuff every day for a living.

As far as the $350 pump...a Walbro 255 is $90, unfortunately all of the regulators are pricey...check forums for used parts...

Re: Update - 05/26/14 07:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Moparts is by far the most conservative forum I have seen. I too needed a break from the purple shaft crowd a few years back, but I came back after a while...haha

I see the OP is in MI, the kicker is, I am sure alot of local folks would be willing to spend an evening in the shop with him and go over some ideas (depending on how close he is). I have not built myself a turbo car (yet), but I am helping a buddy with a 5.3/GT45 combo in a fox body, and I do this stuff every day for a living.

As far as the $350 pump...a Walbro 255 is $90, unfortunately all of the regulators are pricey...check forums for used parts...

I dont know where in Mich he is but if he is any where
near me he can stop by for info OR I'll help him build
it... I've done plenty of that fab stuff... and I
probably got enough tubing to do it
© 2024 Moparts Forums