Moparts

Best way to make pushrods?

Posted By: 69dart

Best way to make pushrods? - 04/28/14 03:37 AM

I have several set of pushrods that are too long for my current 383 solid cam engine. I was curious what is the best method for resizing the ball/cup style pushrods?

I would think a drill press with a special bit would be easier to repeat or is there a company that would resize them?

Thanks Guys!!
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Best way to make pushrods? - 04/28/14 04:44 AM

Quote:

I have several set of pushrods that are too long for my current 383 solid cam engine. I was curious what is the best method for resizing the ball/cup style pushrods?

I would think a drill press with a special bit would be easier to repeat or is there a company that would resize them?

Thanks Guys!!

When you say resizing them are you meaning shortening them or changing the ball or cup ends sizes?In either case if there already assembled and used I would probally call the manufacturer and ask them, especially on a expensive custom race set If there a cheaper generic shelf set I would probally order another new set for the new motor
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Best way to make pushrods? - 04/28/14 01:07 PM

Some pushrods inside diameter changes the further down the shaft,usually the press fit area is in the first 2 inches.If your building pushrods or using unfinished kits make sure they are close to the approximate length needed.Many are high quality Chromemoly and hard to cut without special tooling.If you just need to shorten them just a little you may have a machine shop turn the shaft down just below the cup and try pressing the cup in further.If the are a premade quality rod it's almost impossible to remove the cup.It's most always cheaper to make or get the correct length set than spending the time reworking a set.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Best way to make pushrods? - 04/28/14 07:39 PM

The last set I needed to shorten were exactly 1/8" too long which is, coincidently, the width of a typical lathe cutoff blade. The cutoff blade will cut the tubing fairly easy and will stop when it hits the hardened tip; this leaves enough of the tip to get hold of with a claw hammer or pry bar to pull the tip out, then shorten the tube more if required.

Like Bob said, the inside of the tube is usually reamed deeper than needed for the tip but check the depth before trying to press the tip back in the tube.

Attached picture 8127027-CIMG0354.JPG
Posted By: Cheatham

Re: Best way to make pushrods? - 04/28/14 08:33 PM

long time ago i had a set of used pushrods that were too long so i did it the cruel way by use of a vise and vise grips and hammer and pulled the tip ground it shorter to proper length and put them back together, they worked fine for many rounds and laps in a circle track car and i still have them as of today
Posted By: Hessu

Re: Best way to make pushrods? - 04/28/14 09:17 PM

I made sheet metal U and drill pushrod size hole bottom of it so rod hanging on itīs cup only. top off U drill holes and put bolt through for attack self-locking pliers and slide hammer.
Just put pushrod in vise between plywood pieces and use slidehammer to take cup off.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Best way to make pushrods? - 04/28/14 10:04 PM

I do mine like John, on a lathe.

Re: Best way to make pushrods? - 04/29/14 01:04 AM

Thanks Guys!

I only need to shorten them a about 1/8th of an inch. They are the ball/cup style. I could order new ones but I probably have 30 (swap meet buy) that are too long. I have some extra time before my next race so I figured I would at least see how difficult it would be.

I don't really have the skills or access to use a lathe so I'll have to keep thinking about the best way to cut them accurately and safely.
Posted By: julian2007

Re: Best way to make pushrods? - 04/29/14 02:07 PM

Quote:

Thanks Guys!!

call trend 1.800.326.8368 they are the best and very fair pricing

Re: Best way to make pushrods? - 05/01/14 02:26 AM

Found this today.

Should make the job easier.

web page
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Best way to make pushrods? - 05/01/14 03:02 AM

Over the years and after all is said and done, I have learned this--Just call Smith Bros and two days later you will have beautiful push rods and you can sell the set you have that are not correct to lesson the blow and......you will never lose an engine becuase of a cup falling out etc etc Ask me how I know.
It is not worth it to use old, altered push rods.
Smith Bros is the very best--100% reliable Mopar vendor on the planet.

Re: Best way to make pushrods? - 05/04/14 11:58 PM

I gave up and sent an existing pushrod to Trend requesting a set of 18 similar pushrods .100" shorter.

Thanks Guys!
Posted By: racingblues1426

Re: Best way to make pushrods? - 05/05/14 12:13 AM

I agree with everyone on this site that said to call a professional and give him all your info so you don't put the wrong length, diameter and wall thickness,along with the corret ends and ruin your motor.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Best way to make pushrods? - 05/05/14 12:46 AM

Hmmmm, so pushrods are akin to rocket science....who woulda guessed?
© 2024 Moparts Forums