Moparts

tunnel ram vs. single plane

Posted By: 79410aspenrt

tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/18/14 04:50 PM

my 440 w2 small block currently has a holley pro dominator tunnel ram with 2-650 holleys. I have a holley strip dominator single plane with a 950 pro systems that I would like to try.

will I lose any power switching to the single plane
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/18/14 04:55 PM

Yes
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/18/14 05:34 PM

.....but it will be earier to tune, especially if you footbrake and off the line in general.
Posted By: Slingshot383

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/18/14 06:04 PM

Old wives tale, tunnel rams are not hard to tune, you just have to think a little different.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/18/14 06:18 PM

Quote:

Old wives tale, tunnel rams are not hard to tune, you just have to think a little different.

I totally agree. My TR is actually easier to drive, stage, foot brake or trans brake. I have two BG 750's on my 408 and I'm sorry I didn't get the 850's now.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/18/14 07:01 PM

I think that is a good tunnel ram so you will probably be hard pressed to beat the power with a single plane intake. But I've run more than few dyno tests where the tunnel ram is a dog. Some of the old school tunnel rams are very weak when compared to a good single plane intake.
Posted By: quickd100

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/18/14 07:08 PM

My old Weiand Tunnel Ram was 40hp better than an Indy single plane with a 1140 dominator.Dave
Posted By: ProSport

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/18/14 11:22 PM

My old 9 second Dartsport was quicker with a tunnel ram and was deadly consistent footbraking.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/18/14 11:25 PM

I have always had good luck with big block tunnel rams--always a big MPH jump in the 1/4 mile

Stay Away from and never use a single 4 TR--the end cylinders go crazy lean.
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/19/14 12:06 AM

I'm hoping to go the other way

Attached picture 8116847-DSCN1033cropped.JPG
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/19/14 01:12 AM

I have one for my W2 but sadly if I do the 440 in the 66 Val wagon now I doubt I'll get to use it....I'd like to trade it for a standard port TR since a tr set up will actually fit under the Rocky's hood
Posted By: Rob C

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/19/14 04:58 PM

That is a really good intake. Very old. Take the time to jet and set it up. There is a lot more labor in that set up. IF the engine is a stout one that can take advantage of such an induction system, you'll go faster.

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/19/14 05:10 PM

Quote:

That is a really good intake. Very old. Take the time to jet and set it up. There is a lot more labor in that set up. IF the engine is a stout one that can take advantage of such an induction system, you'll go faster.

RobC, which intake are you referring to?

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/19/14 05:18 PM

Quote:

I assume your talking about the tunnel ram? I did dyno tune the tunnel ram, ended up getting 652 hp and 590 tq.

I think my engine is stout enough for the tunnel ram. 440'', 660 roller, 13.1 comp.......

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/19/14 06:31 PM

One tip I can give you is don't use any power valves.
Posted By: 82ramIndy493

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/20/14 01:42 AM

What factors about the way the engine is built decide if a tunnel ram is a better choice over a single plane intake and one 4 bb carb? I have a 493 at 12 to 1 comp with OOTB Indy SR's with a comp 262 575 with 1.6 rockers, plenum ported Victor intake and 1050 Dominator. Would this engine benifit from a TR?
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/20/14 04:01 AM

Tunnel rams are able to be ram tuned better for the rpm range usually, due to the extra runner length. I believe that is the main advantage, along with usually less restriction at WOT. There is always an exception(G3 Hemi?) though to any rule, or so it would seem.
Posted By: Ari440

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/20/14 04:30 AM

511ci

13.1 comp 277/800 roller indy cnc345s

indy-2 adapter 1050 ------ 9.91

indy tunnelram two 750s ------9.85

went two times got sent home ------ no tuning

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/20/14 04:20 PM

Pro sport - 79410

Sorry guys, yes, the Holley. My bad.

Honestly no personal experience with it. Just from what friends have run. I myself just picked up a never used M1-Tunnel Ram. Runners are shorter with more plenum.

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/20/14 09:28 PM

Quote:

What factors about the way the engine is built decide if a tunnel ram is a better choice over a single plane intake and one 4 bb carb? I have a 493 at 12 to 1 comp with OOTB Indy SR's with a comp 262 575 with 1.6 rockers, plenum ported Victor intake and 1050 Dominator. Would this engine benifit from a TR?

I bet you'd be at least a tenth quicker with a tunnel ram and the right carbs. Carbs are key, I ran two 750 Quickfuel tunnel ram carbs and they were perfection right out of the box.

Attached picture 8118944-100_1925.jpg
Posted By: tjmarcus1

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/21/14 12:38 AM

I have been running tunnel rams on engines for more than 30yrs. THEY will almost always make more power! In fact every one that I have done made more. Currently, I have one on a bb with rpm heads and a flat tappet cam running a best of 5.88 at almost 117mph footbraking. I am anxious to see what it does when we transbrake it. that equates to about 750hp. car weighs about 2850
Posted By: joedust451

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/21/14 12:42 AM

Its hard to beat the Weiand street TR with the D shaped ports, I ran a solid tenth & 1.1/2 MPH quicker over an M-1 single & 750 PF carb, & that was with minor tuning on 2 crappy 600 1850 holleys. On top of that, my 60ft. fell off by .03-.04 on the runs from the added torque & lack of a good suspension, plugs were stone white back in the pits.

Ran a 10.87 @ 123.58 on a 1.628 60ft. with TR

Ran a best of 10.98 @ 122.09 on a 1.58 in same air.
Posted By: 70satelliteguy

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/21/14 02:54 AM

"I think that is a good tunnel ram so you will probably be hard pressed to beat the power with a single plane intake. But I've run more than few dyno tests where the tunnel ram is a dog. Some of the old school tunnel rams are very weak when compared to a good single plane intake."

I am Currently running the Indy 3X with a Quick fuel 1250 on my 572.It runs pretty good! If I did not have so much invested already I might be tempted to try a tunnel ram but I would want to pick up a lot more than a tenth or so or "The juice would not be worth the squeeze" for me! I do think they look awesome though!

Mike

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/21/14 05:07 AM

do you guys think it would be worth putting 750's on instead of the 650's?

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/21/14 01:01 PM

Quote:

do you guys think it would be worth putting 750's on instead of the 650's?

Yes I do.
Posted By: joes68340s

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/21/14 04:03 PM

Whats the best small block TR non W head that is available.

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/21/14 06:45 PM

Great question. The answer could be dependent on the build particulars?
My M1 TR has short-ish looking runners and a lot of plenum.

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/21/14 07:02 PM

Quote:

Whats the best small block TR non W head that is available.

Looks like this works good.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=154106

I'd PM DJVCUDA, He has alot of know how with TRs on SBs.
Posted By: Harley

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/21/14 10:41 PM

I went 2 tenths faster with the tunnel ram over my single 850.

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/21/14 11:00 PM

Quote:

Car looks good harley

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/22/14 01:30 AM

I've had the tunnel ram on for 6 years, haven't tried a single plane or for that matter thought about it.

What kind of 750's should I look at? Holley, quick fuel, pro systems..........

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/22/14 05:46 AM

Quote:

I've had the tunnel ram on for 6 years, haven't tried a single plane or for that matter thought about it.

AED is getting a very reputation lately, might want to give them a call.
Posted By: Harley

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/22/14 05:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Car looks good harley

Thanks Joe.
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/23/14 01:09 AM

What are you guys running for fuel line on these dual carb applications?

I was planning on -10 from tank to pump, -8 from pump to regulator (two port) and -6 to each carb (3/8" hard line to each bowl). Would I be Better off running a four port regulator with -6 to each bowl? Carbs are 4150's and the combo should make 700-750 on pump gas.
Posted By: mopar65

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/23/14 01:21 AM

Quote:

What are you guys running for fuel line on these dual carb applications?

I was planning on -10 from tank to pump, -8 from pump to regulator (two port) and -6 to each carb (3/8" hard line to each bowl). Would I be Better off running a four port regulator with -6 to each bowl? Carbs are 4150's and the combo should make 700-750 on pump gas.

I am running 2 dash 8 lines into my Holley block pump, then dash 8 up to my Holley billet 4 port fuel reg and then 4 dash 6 lines to each fuel bowl.here is a pick of how i got mine set up. lets see if the pic will post.i am no carb person but it sounds like it would be better to me to run a line to each carb bowl. mopar65

Attached picture 8121128-002.JPG
Posted By: mopar65

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/23/14 01:25 AM

Quote:

why do you recommend not to use power valves?

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/23/14 01:44 AM

Quote:

My custom built Quickfuel 750's had the wedge shaped tunnel ram floats, the carbs were pretty much dead-on right out of the box, never had to mess with idle or anything once it was set, best carbs I've ever owned.

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/23/14 02:38 AM

I run -8 braided line from tank to pump. from pump to regulator also -8 braided line. from regulator I run -6 to carbs.

Prosport, did you buy your quickfuel carbs from them or summit, jegs....?

what did they cost?

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/23/14 03:00 AM

So is the consensus that something like this won't work for fuel lines?

Attached picture 8121340-$_12.JPG

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/23/14 03:27 AM

yes that will work just fine. I used that set up a few years ago on my big block with a 671 blower.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/23/14 04:10 AM

Quote:

Looks pretty, not sure how much fuel those lines wil flowed at WOT

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/23/14 05:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Looks pretty, not sure how much fuel those lines wil flowed at WOT

Agreed. I am up in the air because my regulator is only a 2-port. If I run -6 to each carb inlet I'll have to use a couple of Aeromotive y-blocks.

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/23/14 11:37 AM

Quote:

I run -8 braided line from tank to pump. from pump to regulator also -8 braided line. from regulator I run -6 to carbs.

Prosport, did you buy your quickfuel carbs from them or summit, jegs....?

what did they cost?

I bought them at Summit, iirc there was no extra charge for having them custom built, same price as a QF 750 double pumper.

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/23/14 02:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

why do you recommend not to use power valves?

Power valves don't work with a TR, I forget why.

As for fuel lines I run two Holley blue pumps, -10 from the cell to the pumps, -8 to a 2 port regulator and -6 line from the regulator to each bowl for each carb. In other words each carb has it's own pump, regulator, filter and lines.
Posted By: clovis

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/24/14 12:56 AM

The Holley 4224 (660) center squirters are hard to beat when it comes to carbs for a tunnel ram. They usually just need a little leaning out on the idle circuit which is an easy fix with a piece of wire.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 04/24/14 01:09 PM

Quote:

That would work fine, as long as it doesn't get a lot of under hood heat. Those fuel lines only need to feed 1/4 of the motor each. When you figure the stock needle and seats for a single four start at .110 diameter, those lines look pretty big!
Posted By: 408W5Mopar

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 05/01/14 04:21 PM

Steer Clear of the 660's never seen a set work as good as the newer design 4150 carbs
Posted By: 70HemiGTX

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 05/02/14 03:01 AM

Quote:

Steer Clear of the 660's never seen a set work as good as the newer design 4150 carbs

I had a set of 750 vac. sec. Holleys on my tunnel ram and they ran ok. Nothing to really brag about. I the had a set of 660's worked up and it was night and day. I dropped 1 second. Granted I don't go to the track every week or even more than 2 or 3 times a year, but the difference in the way the engine worked was unreal.

They guy that did them pulled the metering plates out and put jet plates in. Set them up with center hung bowls, milled and flowed the air horns.

I had jetted them down, but now am back up to 76's all the way around. I may fatten it up just a little bit yet. I didn't get to run it yet this year.

Attached picture 8131078-DSCF0006.JPG

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 05/02/14 03:54 AM

Quote:

I had a set of 750 vac. sec. Holleys on my tunnel ram and they ran ok. Nothing to really brag about. I the had a set of 660's worked up and it was night and day. I dropped 1 second.

I'm guessing something was badly wrong with your Holleys or the vac secondaries didn't work good on the tunnel ram.
My tunnel ram with 2 750 Quickfuel double pumpers ran 9's at 136 MPH, I highly doubt it would have went quicker with the 660's. But I'm glad you found something that worked better for your combo.

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 05/03/14 04:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I had a set of 750 vac. sec. Holleys on my tunnel ram and they ran ok. Nothing to really brag about. I the had a set of 660's worked up and it was night and day. I dropped 1 second.

I'm guessing something was badly wrong with your Holleys or the vac secondaries didn't work good on the tunnel ram.
My tunnel ram with 2 750 Quickfuel double pumpers ran 9's at 136 MPH, I highly doubt it would have went quicker with the 660's. But I'm glad you found something that worked better for your combo.

Well, I was kind of thinking I wasn't getting enough fuel with the 750's. But I was a little hesitant to jump to a set of 750 dp's. Thinking I may get too much fuel so I found the 660 to start with. I still have been thinking of going to a set of 750 dp's, but or now the 660's are doing fine.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 05/03/14 05:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, I was kind of thinking I wasn't getting enough fuel with the 750's. But I was a little hesitant to jump to a set of 750 dp's. Thinking I may get too much fuel so I found the 660 to start with. I still have been thinking of going to a set of 750 dp's, but or now the 660's are doing fine.

I had a pair of 650 vac secondaries on my tunnel ram
and they sucked... the secondaries rarely opened
and I had the light springs with the Teed vac line..
I changed to a set of 750dp and ran great

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 05/03/14 12:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I had a pair of 650 vac secondaries on my tunnel ram
and they sucked... the secondaries rarely opened
and I had the light springs with the Teed vac line..
I changed to a set of 750dp and ran great

With the 750's on it would bog off the line and then once it was moving it ran good until about the last 1/8 mi, it ran great. It just seemed like there was a real "charge" at the end. Now with the 660's it is a more constant and consistent off the line. No bog off the line, but it seems like it doesn't have as big of a charge in the last 1/8 mi. I'm just too cheap to go out and buy another set of carbs.
Posted By: 572charger

Re: tunnel ram vs. single plane - 05/04/14 12:30 PM

i put my indy tunnel ram back on my 606 hemi with 2 of the new hp 850 carbs ,this thing never idled and drove so smooth around town its scary !!! its a little lean gonna get it riched up a little and get to the track ill get some results posted after i run it on pump gas no spray it ran the best of a 9.60 at 141.79 mph with a raybarton intake and a prosystems made for my engine dominator i had some 1.36 1.37 60fts at 3910lbs !!!i am going to put this deal to the test !!!!!!! oh yeah i got -10 line to the regulator and -6 to the carbs
© 2024 Moparts Forums