Moparts

My latest project

Posted By: ProSport

My latest project - 03/09/14 06:29 PM

I wasn't planning on making a thread about this car but after a year of emails and private messages asking what's going on I figured I'd better post it up lol. I raced for over 20 years, posted my results here all the time, had a couple really fun 9 second cars. But with me hitting 40 years old, our son playing travel sports and me working a lot of hours I was really losing energy to load up and go racing, plus I didn't have time anymore which is fine.

I picked up a supercharged mustang, it was a blast for a few months and that was it, I had to have another old Mopar! I love to wrench in my garage with the radio on and I love tuning, everything on the Stang was computer controlled.

My goal with this car is to hop in it and cruise whenever I'm not at work or at a baseball game. It won't have a roll bar for awhile(has new frame connectors), no mini-tubbing at all, no 8" converter or steep gears, it WILL have a back seat and run on pump gas.

The previous owner did amazing body work with butt welded seams, can't tell anything was fixed, car is laser straight, no sign of surface rust anywhere, looks like a brand new car. That was as far as he got, I still need to do some sanding and buffing.

It didn't have one single wire in the car, I completely wired it with a Rebel-Wire kit and everything works great including high beam/low beams, turn signals etc.

I installed 3.55 gears and a 9.5" converter so it will be very streetable but I wanted some torque to make up for it so I had a 500" short block built with a main stud girdle, JE forged flat top pistons, forged crank, forged steel aftermarket rods, file-fit rings, I could spray this motor if I wanted to lol.
Heads are cnc max wedge ported Eddy RPM's, Indy max wedge low deck single plane. The cam for now is just a 557 purpleshaft solid(thanks Sport440) with Harland Sharp roller rockers just to get the car up and running, I may upgrade that later or just add 1.6 rockers on the intake side for more lift. I have a new Mancini aluminum water pump housing and water pump, aluminum radiator.

This car may never see a track but if it does I'd love to drive it to the track, run a 10.99 and drive it home. I'm not gonna get serious with this car. It will just be a healthy show car that I enjoy on sunny days.

It will have a nice stance once I setup the stock suspension. It has brand new Strange disc brakes up front with 9" drum spindles, if I have any problems later I'll change those to more of a heavy duty street brake system. Has all new stainless brake lines, will have all new fuel lines, I already installed new polished Aeromotive fuel pump and filter.
I made the gauge cluster panel, it all works, new fuel sending unit and proper gauge for it.

I've done all this in less than a year but I've ran out of money, it is way too expensive to build these from the ground up, so much easier and cheaper to buy someone's roller like I normally do.
DennisMopar73 has been amazingly generous and is sending me a used B&M Pro-Ratchet shifter when he installs his new shifter,this will help me tremendously and will allow me to button up the interior. I already scored really nice 2004 Dodge Neon bucket seats for $40 total!! And new headliner is installed.

My next hurdle will be front and rear windshields, I have the rear window and gasket, just need to pay to have it installed so I don't break it. I need a front windshield and gasket and installation. After that I'll save up for new black carpet, a carburetor, Pertronix distributor, low deck oil pump driveshaft, Toyota alternator that fits my AR-Engineering motor plate, rear seat cover, dual snorkel hood scoop and some new rear brake drums.
I was hoping to be running by spring but spring is almost here now.
I'm installing black Duster side stripes soon.

Should be a nice fun car when done! And thanks everyone for asking what I've been up to.

Attached picture 8067589-IMAG1185.jpg

Re: My latest project - 03/09/14 06:31 PM

Attached picture 8067592-IMAG1234.jpg

Re: My latest project - 03/09/14 06:33 PM

Old

Attached picture 8067595-20131021_175021.jpg

Re: My latest project - 03/09/14 06:34 PM

New

Attached picture 8067596-20131026_153938.jpg

Re: My latest project - 03/09/14 06:35 PM

Trunk is perfect, like new.

Attached picture 8067597-20130613_091320.jpg

Re: My latest project - 03/09/14 06:37 PM

BobsProFab steering column mod, before paint.

Attached picture 8067601-IMAG1215.jpg

Re: My latest project - 03/09/14 06:38 PM

Front discs

Attached picture 8067604-IMAG1286.jpg

Re: My latest project - 03/09/14 06:40 PM

Black Neon seats

Attached picture 8067607-20130926_173112.jpg
Posted By: 340B5

Re: My latest project - 03/09/14 06:40 PM

Nice....where'd you find that at?

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/download.php?Number=8067596

Re: My latest project - 03/09/14 06:41 PM

Trunk again

Attached picture 8067610-20130910_204854.jpg

Re: My latest project - 03/09/14 06:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

New

Nice....where'd you find that at?

Thanks, I made it

Re: My latest project - 03/09/14 06:43 PM

Door panels are in great shape

Attached picture 8067612-20130910_205140.jpg

Re: My latest project - 03/09/14 06:47 PM

Brand new chrome bumpers

Attached picture 8067615-IMAG1172Resized.jpg

Re: My latest project - 03/09/14 06:50 PM

Progress

Attached picture 8067618-20130607_172341.jpg

Re: My latest project - 03/09/14 06:55 PM

500" Short Block

Attached picture 8067629-20130804_122310.jpg

Re: My latest project - 03/09/14 06:57 PM

Before intake coating

Attached picture 8067633-20130804_171518.jpg

Re: My latest project - 03/09/14 06:59 PM

AR-Engineering motor plate with Rivnuts(to frame) thanks to Chapper loaning me the tool to do it. I'm not using that oil filter, just threw it on there for now.

Attached picture 8067635-20130819_205108.jpg

Re: My latest project - 03/09/14 07:00 PM

Still need to tuck away all the wires.

Attached picture 8067637-12-21-13A.jpg

Re: My latest project - 03/09/14 07:03 PM

Out in the sun, will upgrade the wheels and tires when money allows.

Attached picture 8067642-IMAG1325.jpg
Posted By: STEFF

Re: My latest project - 03/09/14 07:25 PM

Looks Great Bob!!!!
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: My latest project - 03/09/14 07:26 PM

Looks GREAT...............
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: My latest project - 03/09/14 07:33 PM

Clean...
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: My latest project - 03/09/14 07:33 PM

Very Nice.
Posted By: mopar65

Re: My latest project - 03/09/14 07:53 PM

Quote:

Bob is this something you can install your self or did you have to send it to bob to install? also if it wouldn't cost a lot of $$$$$$$$ to ship. i have a front windshield out of a 72 duster you could have. the car is looking great and cant wait to see it all done. mopar65

Re: My latest project - 03/09/14 08:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Bob is this something you can install your self or did you have to send it to bob to install? also if it wouldn't cost a lot of $$$$$$$$ to ship. i have a front windshield out of a 72 duster you could have. the car is looking great and cant wait to see it all done. mopar65

Bondo sent me the pipe and told me about where to cut my column, then this pipe slides over the steering column, fit it in the car, and weld around it. It makes the steering tighter and was an easy way to use my power steering column with this manual steering car. Plus it allows more room around the headers.

Where are you located? I'm in Akron Ohio, it would probably be expensive to ship w/o breaking it. Windshields new are only around $125, its the $100 gasket and paying a pro to install it that kinda stinks lol.
Posted By: mopar65

Re: My latest project - 03/09/14 08:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bondo sent me the pipe and told me about where to cut my column, then this pipe slides over the steering column, fit it in the car, and weld around it. It makes the steering tighter and was an easy way to use my power steering column with this manual steering car. Plus it allows more room around the headers.

Where are you located? I'm in Akron Ohio, it would probably be expensive to ship w/o breaking it. Windshields new are only around $125, its the $100 gasket and paying a pro to install it that kinda stinks lol.

thanks for the info bob. i live in laquey mo. so it wouldn't make sense to try and ship you this one.probably have almost that much in shipping . about what did the part cost from Bob? i am interested in this for my duster. like you looking for more header room. thanks Mopar65

Re: My latest project - 03/09/14 08:36 PM

You'll have to try to get ahold of Bondo, I honestly can't remember the price, it was definitely cheaper than the flaming river piece.
This was one of the first things I did to the car about a year ago.
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: My latest project - 03/10/14 01:41 AM

Nice work Bob, looks great! Should be a fun cruiser
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: My latest project - 03/10/14 02:00 AM

It looks great!! I know how you feel about loading the car up and racing,that's why I'm putting my car back as a street and strip car.
Posted By: tubtar

Re: My latest project - 03/10/14 03:50 AM

Really nice looking car. Should be a gem when you get it buttoned up.
Posted By: bigdad

Re: My latest project - 03/10/14 03:51 AM

Looks great, nice work Bob

Posted By: Butch

Re: My latest project - 03/10/14 04:15 AM

Looking very nice Bob
Posted By: Eric

Re: My latest project - 03/10/14 05:15 AM

Eeewwww a green Duster... Car looks fantastic buddy
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: My latest project - 03/10/14 06:04 AM

Looks really good!
I gotta look into the steering shaft
Posted By: 493 Stroked

Re: My latest project - 03/10/14 08:49 AM

GREAT LOOKING CAR !!! It looks like mine only mine has a Black vinly ( sp ) Top. Mine was auto but changed to 4 speed. I had to replace the trunk floor the floor inside and the cross member a lot of work but this is what I wanted. My first new car was a 70 340 auto Duster lime green with the black top so im making this one as a clone of it except for the 4 speed. I have a couple of guestions for you. I put my gas tank in yesterday an the filler tube is my question is the filler tube flang on the inside of the trunk? That's how I put mine in but my gas cap sits in side the body to far. I think I have the right cap it came with the car. I hope you understand what I mean. Its not flush with the quarter panel. Do you have the engine harness from your car. I tried to buy a new one from Classic Industries but they do not have one listed for a 71. I might call Evans and see if he has one I think one for a 70 should work.I wanted a 340 for this car but for now I have a nice warmed up 318 that will work just fine. I all ready have a drag car to go fast in this will be a cruiser. I also have a 72 Duster Twister Plumb Crazy they should look good together in the garage. Sorry for being long winded just LOVE MY MOPARS.One more thing I talked to you at Norwalk about 10 years ago I had a 73 Duster that was yellow and purple you might not remember that was a long time ago. Thanks Don
Posted By: Quickrunner

Re: My latest project - 03/10/14 03:11 PM

Very nice!! Looks top notch as all your stuff always does!
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: My latest project - 03/10/14 03:23 PM

Good looking Gecko you have there Bob

Re: My latest project - 03/10/14 09:58 PM

Quote:

GREAT LOOKING CAR !!! It looks like mine only mine has a Black vinly ( sp ) Top. Mine was auto but changed to 4 speed. I had to replace the trunk floor the floor inside and the cross member a lot of work but this is what I wanted. My first new car was a 70 340 auto Duster lime green with the black top so im making this one as a clone of it except for the 4 speed. I have a couple of guestions for you. I put my gas tank in yesterday an the filler tube is my question is the filler tube flang on the inside of the trunk? That's how I put mine in but my gas cap sits in side the body to far. I think I have the right cap it came with the car. I hope you understand what I mean. Its not flush with the quarter panel. Do you have the engine harness from your car. I tried to buy a new one from Classic Industries but they do not have one listed for a 71. I might call Evans and see if he has one I think one for a 70 should work.I wanted a 340 for this car but for now I have a nice warmed up 318 that will work just fine. I all ready have a drag car to go fast in this will be a cruiser. I also have a 72 Duster Twister Plumb Crazy they should look good together in the garage. Sorry for being long winded just LOVE MY MOPARS.One more thing I talked to you at Norwalk about 10 years ago I had a 73 Duster that was yellow and purple you might not remember that was a long time ago. Thanks Don

I do not have any harnesses for the car, if I did I'd give it to you.
The filler neck flange is suppose to be on the outside of the body, mine is on the inside like yours, I used a brand new gasket on the fuel tank and even with a little oil on it the filler tube was a super tight fit. I knew I'd scratch my paint if I wrestled with it so I just put it inside. I'm using a locking type fuel cap so it won't cause me any problems.
Posted By: Wv68charger

Re: My latest project - 03/10/14 10:49 PM

Just like everything else you build Bob looks awesome
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: My latest project - 03/10/14 10:52 PM

Looking good..
Posted By: 493 Stroked

Re: My latest project - 03/11/14 01:40 AM

Thanks for the reply. I was going to put it one the outside the screw holes in the body were bigger than on the flang and the foam gasket is bigger than the indent in the body so I put it inside. Well I'll trim the gasket and use screws with nilock nuts. Thanks Don
Posted By: 340RICK

Re: My latest project - 03/11/14 01:59 AM

Thanks for the update Bob, car is looking good and sounds like you are close to being done. Summer 2014......Drive it down for some mopar nats cruizn this summer.

Re: My latest project - 03/11/14 04:05 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the update Bob, car is looking good and sounds like you are close to being done. Summer 2014......Drive it down for some mopar nats cruizn this summer.

That would be fun Rick but it won't be done til end of summer probably, baseball season is about to kick in and what little play money I have right now my son and I have been spending on off-road indoor dirt RC-Racing, he's 14 now so I may only have another year or so to do this kind of stuff with him.

Attached picture 8069489-20140228_230022.jpg
Posted By: 383man

Re: My latest project - 03/11/14 06:04 AM

That is really looking super nice. Nice work. Ron
Posted By: Stroker Scamp

Re: My latest project - 03/11/14 06:56 AM

looks good, I like your plan with the car
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: My latest project - 03/11/14 02:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That would be fun Rick but it won't be done til end of summer probably, baseball season is about to kick in and what little play money I have right now my son and I have been spending on off-road indoor dirt RC-Racing, he's 14 now so I may only have another year or so to do this kind of stuff with him.

The car is looking Great! IMO, You have your priorities in order having fun with your son.

Re: My latest project - 03/11/14 10:36 PM

Thanks everyone, I hope to have it rumbling within a couple months and then just wait for time and money to finish the small stuff.
Posted By: 73-Dart-sport

Re: My latest project - 03/13/14 03:06 AM

Looking great Bob! I just know there will be a cage in it someday, or you will trade it for one that does.

Re: My latest project - 03/13/14 12:31 PM

Quote:

Looking great Bob! I just know there will be a cage in it someday, or you will trade it for one that does.

Haha no cages for me Dave! This car is way too nice to go cutting and welding on. I gotta admit, I'm almost $16,000 into this thing even with me doing all the work, I'm kinda losing interest as I'm so busy with other things but I want to keep plugging away at it, I think it will be a blast when done, especially when I put some electric cut-outs on it!
Posted By: moparguy7074

Re: My latest project - 03/13/14 02:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I gotta admit, I'm almost $16,000 into this thing even with me doing all the work, I'm kinda losing interest as I'm so busy with other things

Wanna trade Bob?
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: My latest project - 03/13/14 04:39 PM

Very nice Bob!

Re: My latest project - 03/13/14 05:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I gotta admit, I'm almost $16,000 into this thing even with me doing all the work, I'm kinda losing interest as I'm so busy with other things

Wanna trade Bob?

Don't twist my arm Brian!
I would feel defeated if I didn't finish it and cruise it.

Re: My latest project - 03/13/14 05:35 PM

I'd let you at least once Bob!

Re: My latest project - 03/13/14 06:48 PM

Quote:

Hey I can't trade cars every 2 months cuz then I'd be BondoBob!

Re: My latest project - 03/14/14 04:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Hey I can't trade cars every 2 months cuz then I'd be BondoBob!

LOL! That's so funny cause I thought the same thing! You do have half the name already...

Re: My latest project - 03/14/14 12:08 PM

I have at least half his habits too! Never Satisfied.

I also forgot to mention something very important, Don Stall(RBDuster) went out of his way to send me one of his spare driveshafts! I'm glad I've been able to give some parts away over the years as I've really appreciated the help I'm getting right now. Thanks guys!
Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: My latest project - 03/14/14 01:45 PM

Hey that intake looks like one I use to have !!! Looks good bob ! If ya need anything I may have let me know !

Re: My latest project - 03/14/14 02:19 PM

Quote:

Hey that intake looks like one I use to have !!! Looks good bob ! If ya need anything I may have let me know !

Thanks John, and thanks for trading intakes, hope the 4500 intake works good for ya this year.
© 2024 Moparts Forums