Moparts

Race Tec Pistons ?

Posted By: steeldust

Race Tec Pistons ? - 02/06/14 05:07 AM

Is any one running them ? I the engine shop said they are great they will be a nitrous piston custom made ? I will be spraying 300 to 450 in my 582 thanks for any help.
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: Race Tec Pistons ? - 02/06/14 06:11 AM

I started using them for my builds and have been pleased with them. Better tolerances than some of the big name pistons I used in the past.
Keith
Posted By: Performance Only

Re: Race Tec Pistons ? - 02/06/14 05:44 PM

Quote:

I started using them for my builds and have been pleased with them. Better tolerances than some of the big name pistons I used in the past.
Keith

Can you tell me which "big name" pistons you thought they were better than? The ones I've used were machined more like an entry level piston and priced that way as well. I might've had my hopes too high though in regards to things like ring land finish, skirt thickness, Ring belt thickness and a few other things. I guess they're okay and will run, they in no way compare to Diamond or CP.
Keep in mind this was a year or so ago, so maybe things have changed since then.
Posted By: tsanchez

Re: Race Tec Pistons ? - 02/06/14 06:01 PM

Race tec was started by the former owner of JE pistons.
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: Race Tec Pistons ? - 02/06/14 08:07 PM

I'm not going to get into a pissing match on the board.
Keith
Posted By: Performance Only

Re: Race Tec Pistons ? - 02/06/14 08:33 PM

Quote:

I'm not going to get into a pissing match on the board.
Keith

There's no pissing match unless someone turns it into that. I'd look at it as more of a discussion. Are you unwilling to have a discussion? I would hope not since you brought up the topic.
I know of several shops that sell the pistons in question and they do so mostly as a lower cost/ higher margin item. I have no problem with that as long as they work for the application.
Posted By: Rapid340

Re: Race Tec Pistons ? - 02/06/14 09:10 PM

I have used them in my own motors as well as others. In my opinion they produce a high quality piston. The cost is/was lower than average because they were trying to buy market share until they build up the brand. I know the price has gone up as sales increased. They are overall a good value in my opinion.

Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Race Tec Pistons ? - 02/07/14 12:12 AM

Quote:

Race tec was started by the former owner of JE pistons.

I was told that the Calvert Bros. started CP pistons 5 yrs. after they sold JE to the current owners
Posted By: Von

Re: Race Tec Pistons ? - 02/07/14 12:30 AM

My shop uses them in alot of different applications. A custom piston is 650 from them, which seems very dang reasonable to me. This shop build numerous late model, outlaw mod, b mod, some 410 sprints, etc motors. They use the racetecs in all classes. They also have a alky hemi puller. That motor has racetecs in it as well. They seem like a nice piston for the $$$.
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: Race Tec Pistons ? - 02/07/14 12:49 AM

Quote:

I might've had my hopes too high though in regards to things like ring land finish,

What RA finish are you looking for and what ra are they machined at? And how are you checking it?
Posted By: mshred

Re: Race Tec Pistons ? - 02/07/14 02:04 AM

Have them in my 408. Got them custom made for a shelf price from Rod at BPE. Only 1 season on them, but they were a nice quality piece and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another set if dealing with Rod
Posted By: steeldust

Re: Race Tec Pistons ? - 02/07/14 03:40 AM

I am having the pistons custom made THANKS
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: Race Tec Pistons ? - 02/07/14 10:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I might've had my hopes too high though in regards to things like ring land finish,

What RA finish are you looking for and what ra are they machined at? And how are you checking it?

bump
© 2024 Moparts Forums