Moparts

How long of a wait for a custom ground camshaft

Posted By: Sammy

How long of a wait for a custom ground camshaft - 02/05/14 11:34 PM

From COMP CAMS.
I'm waiting on a solid roller cam from them. Standard journal size.
Don't know how long you need to wait for one to be made. I put the order in 2 Friday's ago.
What's the lead time?
Posted By: mac56

Re: How long of a wait for a custom ground camshaft - 02/06/14 01:07 AM

Can't say about comp but my crane cam took 4 days. That was with them having a blank in stock.
Posted By: dakotawilly

Re: How long of a wait for a custom ground camshaft - 02/06/14 01:10 AM

just talked to bullit,3-4 days,maybe u should call and see what the delay is....
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: How long of a wait for a custom ground camshaft - 02/06/14 01:50 AM

Bullet turned my cam around in 3 days. Took more time riding around in the brown truck then it did at Bullet.

Posted By: fishy340

Re: How long of a wait for a custom ground camshaft - 02/06/14 02:40 AM

Im waiting for a 60mm from comp also,about the same amount of time as you.
Posted By: quickd100

Re: How long of a wait for a custom ground camshaft - 02/06/14 02:48 AM

When I ordered my custom solid roller from Bullet they said they were running 3 weeks behind. I'd been waiting 2 months for some stuff from Comp Cams at the time and was somewhat jaded. I told them I was getting used to waiting on backorders and to go ahead and grind it. 3 weeks from the day I made the phone call I had my new cam in my hands. I'm totally impressed by Bullet cams, both their produce and their customer service. Dave
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: How long of a wait for a custom ground camshaft - 02/06/14 02:56 AM

I like Bullet myself... nice grinds and you get it
when they say...I'm gonna have them re-grind a roller
for me
Posted By: 383man

Re: How long of a wait for a custom ground camshaft - 02/06/14 08:35 AM

Got mine from Dwayne Porter and it was not long at all. Just a few days plus I got my heads and many other parts from him. Does great work and great service. Give him a call 802-951-1955. You wont be sorry. Ron
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: How long of a wait for a custom ground camshaft - 02/06/14 09:14 AM

I had Comp grind me a solid roller with HXL lobes two years ago and received it in a week? Not sure why they are taking so long, maybe backlog from the holidays?
Posted By: 727builder

Re: How long of a wait for a custom ground camshaft - 02/06/14 04:00 PM

I just ordered one from them a few weeks ago. Was little over 2 weeks to get it. And then the cams main journals wasn't turned down to the correct size. The cam wouldn't even think of going in the cam bearings. Having a race shop here in town correct the sizing of the journals. First guy i called at comp looked up my order and said it showed the cam wasn't within specs and shouldn't have been sent out like that. He turned it over to another guy. He called me once and told me to call him back the next day. Called him 3 different days only getting his voice mail. Left 3 messages for him to call me back. He still hasn't to this day. If you guys ever have a problem with a comp cam? Never talk to the tech guys. Ask for warranty Mgr on your first call. You will only get his voice mail too. But he will call you back. He said to send him the bill when i get the cam back from my race shop. Good luck on your cam!!
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: How long of a wait for a custom ground camshaft - 02/06/14 04:13 PM

Quote:

From COMP CAMS.
Don't know how long you need to wait for one to be made. I put the order in 2 Friday's ago.
What's the lead time?

A week is normal. When you go thru a engine builder or shop, I think the process is a little faster or smoother. Comp isnt necessarily the easiest place for a retail customer to contact. Dealers know some of the shortcuts and such.

Hope they get you handled soon....
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: How long of a wait for a custom ground camshaft - 02/06/14 07:09 PM

We ended up waiting 6 weeks for a cam from Comp. Empty promise after empty promise. Finally called Bullet and had one in a weeks time. This was a 60MM LS firing order for a BBM. My guess is Comp had no cores when we ordered.
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: How long of a wait for a custom ground camshaft - 02/06/14 08:17 PM

When it comes to custom camshafts.. here is a small time guy that I call a hidden gem... because you've never heard of him, but he's been making camshafts for awhile and puts out some pretty serious power too..

http://drcamshafts.com/
Posted By: dakotawilly

Re: How long of a wait for a custom ground camshaft - 02/06/14 09:05 PM

yes bullit rocks,no bs,great customer service,good pricing,and most important,great quality.....

Re: How long of a wait for a custom ground camshaft - 02/07/14 12:02 AM

Quote:

We ended up waiting 6 weeks for a cam from Comp. Empty promise after empty promise. Finally called Bullet and had one in a weeks time. This was a 60MM LS firing order for a BBM. My guess is Comp had no cores when we ordered.

Who does Pettis Performance use?
I know he knows how to make power.

Re: How long of a wait for a custom ground camshaft - 02/07/14 12:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

From COMP CAMS.
What's the lead time?

A week is normal. When you go thru a engine builder or shop, I think the process is a little faster or smoother. Comp isnt necessarily the easiest place for a retail customer to contact. Dealers know some of the shortcuts and such.

Hope they get you handled soon....

For the record, I bought my cam & lifters through a reputable engine builder. He is well known in this hobby.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: How long of a wait for a custom ground camshaft - 02/07/14 12:15 AM

As far as I know Jason uses Comp and Bullet, depends on the grind and application. I am sure our issue was Comp not have a care. The last one I ordered was Predator 60MM LS firing deal.

And yes Jason does build some stout pieces for sure. But they also are reliable and durable. I have 300+ laps on the B1 and it is still alive and kicking with 1050+ hp.
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: How long of a wait for a custom ground camshaft - 02/07/14 12:47 AM

That is usually best. That wasnt a meant to be derogitory, so hopefully it wasnt taken that way. Truth be known, I dont even know why Comp deals direct with end users, because they dont seem to handle that part very well! They are no doubt the biggest mover of camshafts and components commercially, but sometimes I think they try to be too many things, and I think the problem got worse as they continued to buy out other companies, which as many of us have witnessed, often doesnt go well.

Bullet always seems to do a great job, and as mentioned, so do some other smaller guys. Most of what I do is custom, and since I do Ford and Chevy as well, I use totally different suppliers for most of that stuff.

I think cam cores will always be the challenge on the odd stuff.

Again, hope your deal goes well , sooner than later.
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: How long of a wait for a custom ground camshaft - 02/07/14 03:35 AM

Hmmmmm why did I just wait 12 weeks ?
Posted By: viperblue72

Re: How long of a wait for a custom ground camshaft - 02/07/14 05:39 AM

I had erson regrind a solid roller for me once. 100 bucks and got it back exactly a week from the day I sent it out. I was very impressed.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: How long of a wait for a custom ground camshaft - 02/07/14 06:49 PM

Once again the difference between having a core or not.

R.
Posted By: viperblue72

Re: How long of a wait for a custom ground camshaft - 02/08/14 06:33 AM

Quote:

R.

Wouldn't a camshaft company have hundreds of cores already?
Could it also be the difference between a very large company, and a huge waiting list versus a small company like Erson?
That may make a difference too I would imagine.
Posted By: goldmember

Re: How long of a wait for a custom ground camshaft - 02/08/14 06:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

R.

Could it also be the difference between a very large company, and a huge waiting list versus a small company like Erson?
That may make a difference too I would imagine.

Depends on the time of the year(this is not the time for quick turn around), whether the core you need is in stock,etc. I usually order in the AM and pick up on the way home from work from Bullet and have done the same with Comp in years past,but if they are backed up just wait and it will come.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: How long of a wait for a custom ground camshaft - 02/08/14 08:45 PM

My point was a regrind of an existing cam DOESN'T NEED A CORE.

Modern inventory control practices have greatly reduced the number of pieces that a company will keep around just doing nothing.

For example, in my line of work, i have become used to the idea that there are no spares for pump impellers or bowls, if you need a new one they will build it for you. The same goes with valves as small as 6", there is basically no shelf stock.

R.
© 2024 Moparts Forums