Moparts

Why do I have piston ring bits on my piston?

Posted By: goldmember

Why do I have piston ring bits on my piston? - 01/31/14 08:58 AM

I was out of town a couple of weeks ago but a buddy wanted to hit the track. I gave his truck a quick tune up and wished him luck. He called me(yep I was freezing cold!!!) and he went a new best on motor, Picked up .3 and 4mph . I told him to watch out as the end often comes after a great pass. Then he calls to say something went wrong while purging before a real best pass. He takes the head off to find piston rings on top of a piston. Can you help diagnose this issue? Maybe thinking we could get another year out of a junkyard core engine caught up with us?

Attached picture 8019397-360012.jpg
Posted By: CRIKEY

Re: Why do I have piston ring bits on my piston? - 01/31/14 09:07 AM

That looks like parts from the diff
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Why do I have piston ring bits on my piston? - 01/31/14 12:13 PM

That's why they call it the "BANG" button.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Why do I have piston ring bits on my piston? - 01/31/14 04:03 PM

Parts will fly back and forth from the blown piston
through the intake and land in MOST of the the other
bores(both sides of the block)... as to what went wrong
its hard to say with a single pic.. but that piston
let go... weak, lean, a weak valve spring... I dont know
Posted By: Duner

Re: Why do I have piston ring bits on my piston? - 01/31/14 04:12 PM

I'm thinking that a compression/leak-down test won't be required to find which hole is hurt.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Why do I have piston ring bits on my piston? - 01/31/14 04:20 PM

Quote:

I'm thinking that a compression/leak-down test won't be required to find which hole is hurt.

LOL... it might not show up
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Why do I have piston ring bits on my piston? - 01/31/14 04:43 PM

Plenty left in that motor. Remove the rod, duct tape up the journal ( and any holes in the block ), and let her rip.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Why do I have piston ring bits on my piston? - 01/31/14 04:47 PM

Quote:

Plenty left in that motor. Remove the rod, duct tape up the journal ( and any holes in the block ), and let her rip.

It would be easier to cut the rod off and leave the big end on the crank lol.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Why do I have piston ring bits on my piston? - 01/31/14 04:51 PM

Looks like you got peanut butter in your chocolate man
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Why do I have piston ring bits on my piston? - 01/31/14 06:28 PM

Quote:

I was out of town a couple of weeks ago but a buddy wanted to hit the track. I gave his truck a quick tune up and wished him luck. He called me(yep I was freezing cold!!!) and he went a new best on motor, Picked up .3 and 4mph . I told him to watch out as the end often comes after a great pass. Then he calls to say something went wrong while purging before a real best pass. He takes the head off to find piston rings on top of a piston. Can you help diagnose this issue? Maybe thinking we could get another year out of a junkyard core engine caught up with us?

Mr. Yuck.............calling Mr. Yuck.......... R U THERE? This is why my dumb azz stayz n/a................
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Why do I have piston ring bits on my piston? - 01/31/14 06:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Mr. Yuck.............calling Mr. Yuck.......... R U THERE? This is why my dumb azz stayz n/a................

Come on now Thumper its a rarity when that happens but then again I can't afford RARITY.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Why do I have piston ring bits on my piston? - 01/31/14 07:25 PM

You touched it. Obviously it's your fault.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Why do I have piston ring bits on my piston? - 01/31/14 07:37 PM

Not for some guys around here.............they build a new motor, assume it`s tuned ok AND assume nos takes care of the rest. One maybe two good passes and BOOM..................
Posted By: Michael Ecks

Re: Why do I have piston ring bits on my piston? - 01/31/14 09:34 PM

Holy crap! I guess that is what people mean when they say forged pistons will take a beating versus hypers/cast shattering? I don't think I have ever seen a piston completely disappear like that in a thread here.
Posted By: 70Dustmite440

Re: Why do I have piston ring bits on my piston? - 01/31/14 09:57 PM

Yikes!
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Why do I have piston ring bits on my piston? - 01/31/14 10:21 PM

Quote:

Holy crap! I guess that is what people mean when they say forged pistons will take a beating versus hypers/cast shattering? I don't think I have ever seen a piston completely disappear like that in a thread here.

Nitrous isn't mandatory for that to happen. It helps but it isn't mandatory...

Kevin
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Why do I have piston ring bits on my piston? - 01/31/14 10:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Nitrous isn't mandatory for that to happen. It helps but it isn't mandatory...

Kevin

I can attest to that. Detonation is detonation regardless of why it's occurring.
Posted By: dakotawilly

Re: Why do I have piston ring bits on my piston? - 02/01/14 12:14 AM

solder the piston back on the rod first,then install a fogger system to make up for the lower compression......................
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Why do I have piston ring bits on my piston? - 02/01/14 12:42 AM

I'm thinking a turbo would be the way to go now that the compression is lower.
Posted By: dakotawilly

Re: Why do I have piston ring bits on my piston? - 02/01/14 01:06 AM

maybe add a lenco to get that extra rpm launch..............
© 2024 Moparts Forums