Moparts

Tell me why I should or shouldn't

Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/29/14 07:15 PM

I'm going to get started on the NOS install this weekend (if I can get a few hours) and wonder why I should or shouldn't hang the bottle under my dash.
Pros: Plenty of room, shorter line, hidden, easy to turn on an off
Cons: it's in the car, it's somewhat awkeward to hang....
Posted By: 67mprfan

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/29/14 07:39 PM

I think another con would be heating the bottle or keeping it warm

Attached picture 8017114-camerapicsdownload257.JPG
Posted By: Dodgeguy101

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/29/14 07:40 PM

I wouldn't do it because you have a pressurized container, ie bomb, in the car. Put it in the trunk with a remote switch.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/29/14 07:40 PM

For one thing... the bottle needs to be point in the
proper direction... and from what you are saying I
would think you are putting it in sideways which is
wrong....JMO... since I'm not a nitrous guy
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/29/14 07:45 PM

Quote:

Bottles will work sideways if they are rotated the right way.

It will be more difficult to swap bottles, a track official may not be able to kill the bottle in case of an accident. Just a couple thoughts
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/29/14 07:50 PM

Hard to get too. Where are you putting pressure guage? How are you going to heat it?

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/29/14 07:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Bottles will work sideways if they are rotated the right way.

It will be more difficult to swap bottles, a track official may not be able to kill the bottle in case of an accident. Just a couple thoughts

I know they have a pickup tube inside and in most
cases laying on its side wasnt the best way to get
the max amount out of the bottle... the tube basically
goes to the bottom corner of the bottle... I have a
couple of kits and bottles and I know I would never
mount the bottle laying on its side
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/29/14 08:06 PM

Man how many cars have I seen with the bottle mounted to the right floor? Quite a few.
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/29/14 08:22 PM

Unless its a 5lb bottle, I wouldn't.

Changing the bottle would be a complete pain. Go through all the effort of hiding it, only to spend 20 minutes under the dash at the track to swap the bottle out...

Also mounting weight high and up front...

If it is truly under the dash, not sure how easy it will be to turn it off, I would run a seperate 1/4 turn that you can access strapped in, just in case.

I mounted mine behind the seat, with a black bottle blanket you really have to look for it.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/29/14 08:43 PM

Build a badder motor then you won`t need that stuff.............. That`s for the cowl hood comment.........but seriously, that seems scarry to me having an explosive missle anywhere in the car but as stated guys have been doin it for years.

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/29/14 09:33 PM

I don't have anything under the dash. no nothing. I can open the glove box door and get to it. It would be mounted sideways, and while it wouldn't be as easy as the trunk it could be done in 5-10 minutes. Also how is it easier to turn off in the trunk? I have a lock and key. Heat? I only run in nice weather and that area gets warm as I don't have firewall insolation. How hot does it need to be? I see tons of bottles in the car, even on the floor. A lot of guys here don't even use a blanket or heater. It would be sideways but I think I can make it work. It won't be used all the time, maybe once or twice a race weekend. Maybe more if I want to run the 6.50 1/8 mile index or 10.50 1/4 index. I'm only going to run a 100-150 shot.
Next motor will be badder, just having fun w/ this one. As I understand it it's an oxidizer and not flammable. It will have a full range of safety stuff, on/off, WOT switch and so on.
Somebody said pressure gauge, I can see it thru the glove box door, or just peak under the dash depending.
Posted By: dakotawilly

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/29/14 10:21 PM

look at the bright side,if you crash and nobody can get to it,you wont feel a thing while youre choking on your own puke from the anti inhalation additive.................is that colorfull enough for you?
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/29/14 10:29 PM

Quote:

I don't have anything under the dash. no nothing. I can open the glove box door and get to it. It would be mounted sideways, and while it wouldn't be as easy as the trunk it could be done in 5-10 minutes. Also how is it easier to turn off in the trunk? I have a lock and key. Heat? I only run in nice weather and that area gets warm as I don't have firewall insolation. How hot does it need to be? I see tons of bottles in the car, even on the floor. A lot of guys here don't even use a blanket or heater. It would be sideways but I think I can make it work. It won't be used all the time, maybe once or twice a race weekend. Maybe more if I want to run the 6.50 1/8 mile index or 10.50 1/4 index. I'm only going to run a 100-150 shot.
Next motor will be badder, just having fun w/ this one. As I understand it it's an oxidizer and not flammable. It will have a full range of safety stuff, on/off, WOT switch and so on.
Somebody said pressure gauge, I can see it thru the glove box door, or just peak under the dash depending.

If you can't run those times without NOS you need another engine builder.

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/29/14 10:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Read my above post..............

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/29/14 10:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I caught that. I just wanted to 2nd the motion.
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/29/14 11:11 PM

One thing to consider, I've seen a car with a bottle (my brother's) after an accident, I wouldn't guarantee the bottle brackets are going to prevent the bottle from becoming a projectile. This could go bad
Posted By: Performance Only

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/29/14 11:20 PM

I hope we never have to say something like;
"we all tried to warn him about that, we'll miss him around here". or, " We hope your recovery goes as planned".

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/29/14 11:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This engine is probably good for 10's but I'd have to swap out the 6-pack, go with more gear and convert. No thanks I DRIVE it. Also consider it's no a gutted out A-body. Anybody can make those fast. I'm guessing w/ the Cal-Trac & mono spring It should be around 11.0 w/o the bottle. I guess that's real slow.

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/30/14 12:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This engine is probably good for 10's but I'd have to swap out the 6-pack, go with more gear and convert. No thanks I DRIVE it. Also consider it's no a gutted out A-body. Anybody can make those fast. I'm guessing w/ the Cal-Trac & mono spring It should be around 11.0 w/o the bottle. I guess that's real slow.

You`re a fuuny guy........"anybody can make those fast" Ya, I see 9-second 3200 lbs.(at the time of my 9.79)driving around everyday..............and I drive my car all over but hey, thankxxx 4 the compliment..............
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/30/14 12:43 AM

Quote:

Heat? I only run in nice weather and that area gets warm as I don't have firewall insolation. How hot does it need to be As I understand it it's an oxidizer and not flammable

So you say your only going to run it in nice weather. And it gets warm in that Firewall area.

That tanks highly pressurised and blow up with too much heat.

To be convinced not to do it, Google "Nitrous tank explosions" Take a look at some of the Multible images.
Posted By: Dodgeguy101

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/30/14 01:18 AM

Quote:

No disrespect here, but you asked for reasons, good or bad. You got both, now you are upset you got all these cons. If you want to do it, do it, just dont ask for opinions.
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/30/14 01:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You`re a fuuny guy........"anybody can make those fast" Ya, I see 9-second 3200 lbs.(at the time of my 9.79)driving around everyday..............and I drive my car all over but hey, thankxxx 4 the compliment..............

(In my best Howard Cosell voice): With that blow to the mid section sports fans, Yuck is staggering against the ropes...

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/30/14 02:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

(In my best Howard Cosell voice): With that blow to the mid section sports fans, Yuck is staggering against the ropes...

Too funny.............I`m not trying to be a jerk here but he doesn`t have a 10-second car and not "anyone" can get their car to do what mine does or they`d be doin it all day every day............peace!
Posted By: RemCharger

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/30/14 03:01 AM

I ran the bottle bolted where my pass seat mounted. I liked being able to open and close,, but did have the same concerns as mentioned. Little scary.
As to the general banter,,, maybe we're upside down in the north but, stroker 9 sec dusters are common, and '70 full street 440 Chargers in the mid low 11's are something to watch. If youre priviledged enough to see one.

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/30/14 03:02 AM

Quote:

I ran the bottle bolted where my pass seat mounted. I liked being able to open and close,, but did have the same concerns as mentioned. Little scary.
As to the general banter,,, maybe we're upside down in the north but, stroker 9 sec dusters are common, and '70 full street 440 Chargers in the mid low 11's are something to watch. If youre priviledged enough to see one.

Cool, then I`ll fit right in............... Keep in mind mine is a 470 w/home ported rpm heads seems most are 500+ inch w/wazoo heads but either way............
Posted By: johnmilner

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/30/14 03:08 AM

you dont have a clue about nos do you?
Posted By: RemCharger

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/30/14 03:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Cool, then I`ll fit right in...............

You bet! And so would your car!

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/30/14 03:16 AM

Hey Mr Yuck, I didnt see your slightly aggressive "Anybody can make a gutted out A,Body fast" when I posted. So Im not part of that.

I was just trying to point out the dangers of having a nitrous bottle in the cock pit in a heated area , under the dash thats hard to monitor. Its just not the best spot.

Now about that A/Body comment Yes it is easier, but not just anybody can do it. Youve done good with your Charger, keep up the good work. And be safe
Posted By: mcat4321

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/30/14 03:51 AM

i didnt read all the post.. but it sounds like a pretty dumd idea to me..
if your spraying any kind of real HP the bottle needs to be replaced at least every other round..
EVERY NOS racer i know swap bottles every round...
i have seen with my own eyes a 25 hp loss on second hit off a bottle using a moderate jet on a dyno..
meaning a new bottle every pull was worth 25ish..HP
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/30/14 04:46 AM

Wow, the bad advice and misinformation is running rampant in this thread..........LOL!!!

First off, nitrous neither burns, nor is explosive. The ONLY time a bottle will explode is if some idiot has blanked off the burst disc or the bottle has been damaged. Nitrous bottles DO NOT "just blow up".

You CAN mount the bottle under the dash, but NOT lying perfectly level. The end where the dip tube is has to be lower. If you notice guys who mount their bottles on the floor, the brackets are NOT level. The front bracket is higher.

But my main question is WHY would you want it under the dash. Hard to get to, plus I seriously doubt your car needs MORE front weight. Just put it in the trunk and if you want it easily turned on and off, just put a 1/4 valve in the car within drivers reach.

Monte
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/30/14 05:12 AM

Quote:

Wow, the bad advice and misinformation is running rampant in this thread..........LOL!!!

First off, nitrous neither burns, nor is explosive. The ONLY time a bottle will explode is if some idiot has blanked off the burst disc or the bottle has been damaged. Nitrous bottles DO NOT "just blow up".

You CAN mount the bottle under the dash, but NOT lying perfectly level. The end where the dip tube is has to be lower. If you notice guys who mount their bottles on the floor, the brackets are NOT level. The front bracket is higher.

But my main question is WHY would you want it under the dash. Hard to get to, plus I seriously doubt your car needs MORE front weight. Just put it in the trunk and if you want it easily turned on and off, just put a 1/4 valve in the car within drivers reach.

Monte

Too much "Fast and Furious" Monte..

Chris..

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/30/14 05:16 AM

I know nothing about NOS but I think this guy has the right idea.

Attached picture 8017993-nosboys.jpg

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/30/14 05:18 AM

And this guy needs a little bigger jet.

Attached picture 8017997-nos.jpg

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/30/14 05:21 AM

Attached picture 8018000-Shouldhaveusedthenitrous.jpg
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/30/14 06:23 AM

You are wasting your time putting it on if you don't heat it or make the pressure 900-950 psi. How will you tune your afr if you don't keep the pressure constant? Do you normally run your car fat? Why would you with nitrous.

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/30/14 07:06 AM

Quote:

"Sport" I agree and disagree! Lots of legit warnings IMO for putting the bottle where he wants it. As you did yourself.

Monte

Yep, I agree.

But, yet, for many misinformed individuals they have burst for more reasons then you stated. Faulty valves, fatigued tanks, improper heating, etc.

I feel one should know the potential power of one such failures, no matter how it occurs.

When one states that its not flammable nor explosive like Mr Yuck states, its good to state that its not as safe as cotton candy either.

There are plenty of tank failures on the net to show otherwise, no matter how they happened. Most of them , from ignorance. And some from just outright safety mechanical failures and stupidity as you state.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/30/14 01:55 PM

The biggest problem I see is keeping it warm and changing bottles. If your not monitoring bottle pressure you're really wasting your time and possibly your pistons.

I have a fastback barracuda, back when I ran nitrous it was a pain to change the bottle in the small trunk with the cage bar right there, I can't imagine under the dash.

So, other than the pain the rear factor, and the bottle pressure concern I see no problem.
Posted By: 74yellowduster

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/30/14 03:26 PM

Quote:

get a dynamic converter 9.5, a good intake and a bigs carb.

the converter alone will gain you 2 tenths. it will be money well spent.

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/30/14 03:57 PM

lol, thump knows I'm just messing w/ him. I can go either way trunk is fine...it will be a much easier install. I don't know who asked but I have no idea what my AFR is. The plugs look good, it doesn't rich (well maybe a tad) I've driven a few NOS cars down the track, never installed a kit, although I did manage to do a S/C'd 440 w/ just a book. I plan on following the instructions w/ timing and fuel. It's only a 100 to start and maybe 150 for Sheets and Giggles. This isn't for running 10.5/275 class or to try and get into the 9's, it's more for fun. I bought the engine from a moparts member that was going to run a 200 shot on it in an A-body. I'm not worried about it coming apart w/ a small shot. I know a convert and 4bbl would be best however I DO NOT feel like dropping the trans. It has a nice Turbo Action in it now that works fine for now. I have the complete kit for my 6-pack and a full bottle so it's going on.

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/30/14 04:10 PM

Quote:

lol, thump knows I'm just messing w/ him. I can go either way trunk is fine...it will be a much easier install. I don't know who asked but I have no idea what my AFR is. The plugs look good, it doesn't rich (well maybe a tad) I've driven a few NOS cars down the track, never installed a kit, although I did manage to do a S/C'd 440 w/ just a book. I plan on following the instructions w/ timing and fuel. It's only a 100 to start and maybe 150 for Sheets and Giggles. This isn't for running 10.5/275 class or to try and get into the 9's, it's more for fun. I bought the engine from a moparts member that was going to run a 200 shot on it in an A-body. I'm not worried about it coming apart w/ a small shot. I know a convert and 4bbl would be best however I DO NOT feel like dropping the trans. It has a nice Turbo Action in it now that works fine for now. I have the complete kit for my 6-pack and a full bottle so it's going on.

I would definitely suggest a heater and good pressure gauge to keep tabs on things regardless where you mount it. The consistency of the tune is going to heavily rely on nitrous and fuel pressure, and once you get it dialed it any big fluctuations could cause problems.

Also, as Monte mentioned, a 1/4 turn valve within arms reach is nice. I don't like the pressure sitting on the solenoids all the time, and it is easy to kill in the event of an incident, or a solenoid sticking, etc.

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/30/14 04:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I would definitely suggest a heater and good pressure gauge to keep tabs on things regardless where you mount it. The consistency of the tune is going to heavily rely on nitrous and fuel pressure, and once you get it dialed it any big fluctuations could cause problems.

Also, as Monte mentioned, a 1/4 turn valve within arms reach is nice. I don't like the pressure sitting on the solenoids all the time, and it is easy to kill in the event of an incident, or a solenoid sticking, etc.

What temp should the bottle be? I swear most of the guys here do not run heaters. Again this isn't for an all out racecar that uses N2O each run.
Posted By: Von

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/30/14 04:40 PM

Quote:

[

Yuck, exactly what Vert do you have?

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/30/14 04:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

[

Yuck, exactly what Vert do you have?

Turbo Action 3800, I also need to work on getting it to hook. My 60's have been aweful. Either going w/ Cal-Tracs or "Assassin" bars. Right now I'm at 1.65-1.70 even worse if I come out just off idle and mash it...but I've posted about that before The NOS and bars are the 2 off season "to-do's"
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/30/14 05:20 PM

Its not so much what the temp is but what the pressure is. 900-950 PSI is ideal from what I know.

I do know that if you have 1200PSI and your system is real rich so you run it anyways....it leaves REALLY hard and rolls the stock spring perches off the housing.

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/30/14 05:41 PM

Quote:

Its not so much what the temp is but what the pressure is. 900-950 PSI is ideal from what I know.

I do know that if you have 1200PSI and your system is real rich so you run it anyways....it leaves REALLY hard and rolls the stock spring perches off the housing.

sounds like you have some expierence with that.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/30/14 05:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

"Sport" I agree and disagree! Lots of legit warnings IMO for putting the bottle where he wants it. As you did yourself.

Monte

Yep, I agree.

But, yet, for many misinformed individuals they have burst for more reasons then you stated. Faulty valves, fatigued tanks, improper heating, etc.

I feel one should know the potential power of one such failures, no matter how it occurs.

When one states that its not flammable nor explosive like Mr Yuck states, its good to state that its not as safe as cotton candy either.

There are plenty of tank failures on the net to show otherwise, no matter how they happened. Most of them , from ignorance. And some from just outright safety mechanical failures and stupidity as you state.

Again, tanks don't "just blow up" I don't care how many you tube videos there are. If the burst disc is in working order and the bottle is not damaged, it's just not gonna happen. Now, could you MAKE one blow up if you tried, sure, but in the normal course of things, not going to happen.

If you get the bottle too hot and raise the pressure too much, it blows the burst disc, which is usually rated at 2500psi. It takes INCREDIBLE pressure to blow a bottle. So like I said, working burst disc, bottle in good shape, NOT going to "blow up".

Now...ANY pressurized container can be MADE to blow, if you do something REALLY stupid. But I am about as worried about a nitrous bottle in a car as everyone else is with the multitude of "potential bombs" they have in their shops......lets see......air comp, oxy/acy cutting rig, fire extinguishers, paint cans, fuel and the list goes on and on.

Nitrous is no different than anything else....DON'T BE STUPID

I also love when guys post pics of fireballs out of hood scoops and immediately blame it on the nitrous. Guess they never had a thing called a BACKFIRE. If you caught an N/A car just right with a camera when IT backfired, you would see the same thing. Just LOOKS worse on a nitrous car, because there is more FUEL in the intake to burn when it coughs back.

Monte

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 01/30/14 06:59 PM

Quote:

I took it as you were being serious and that`s cool cos I`m not trying to put anyone down and your car runs good at that weight but I guarantee I make it faster but you`re a bit of a distance away. You did mention how easy it is to make a gutted(if 3200 lbs. is gutted)a-body go 9`s but ANYONE can make their car way faster w/squeeze so whichever floats your boat but you`re the one lacking in desired performance relying on a power adder and I`m fine w/my performance all motor so good luck either way..............

Also, I may not use spray but at Pettis we had some of the fastest car around runnin it including Dougie and I know you better be a sharp tuner and fuel pressure and bottle temp can make you or break you...................I`m tired............
Posted By: gsmopar

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 02/05/14 03:29 AM

If you're trying to build a sleeper out of a 2nd gen Charger, I'd reconsider. Everyone expects muscle cars to be fast.

As far as hidden nitrous systems go, I think under the dash is a cool idea.

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 02/05/14 04:37 PM

Quote:

If you're trying to build a sleeper out of a 2nd gen Charger, I'd reconsider. Everyone expects muscle cars to be fast.

Not trying to completely hide it. I guess if I wanted to do that I'd fog it from under the intake. I'm just going to have some fun. One main reason was I already have a short piece of line and wouldn't have to buy 16" feet of it. and I have nothing under the dash so to speak. The biggest challenge would be taking it in and out as I'd have to do some twisting. Unless I bring my 12 y/o, he can fit pretty easy...lol

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 02/05/14 05:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Not trying to completely hide it. I guess if I wanted to do that I'd fog it from under the intake. I'm just going to have some fun. One main reason was I already have a short piece of line and wouldn't have to buy 16" feet of it. and I have nothing under the dash so to speak. The biggest challenge would be taking it in and out as I'd have to do some twisting. Unless I bring my 12 y/o, he can fit pretty easy...lol

Dont bother trying to put it under the dash... mount
it so its simple to get in and out... there is no
reason you have to twist in half to mount the bottle

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 02/05/14 07:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dont bother trying to put it under the dash... mount
it so its simple to get in and out... there is no
reason you have to twist in half to mount the bottle

actually I should be able to open the glove box door, and load it/drop it while sitting in the pass seat hunching over.. I'll mock it up and see how much of a PITA it is.
Posted By: BradH

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 02/05/14 09:52 PM

Quote:

Not trying to completely hide it.

Then why bother to "semi-hide" it?

Buy a longer line and bolt it down it in the trunk like everyone else!

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 02/06/14 03:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Not trying to completely hide it.

Then why bother to "semi-hide" it?

Buy a longer line and bolt it down it in the trunk like everyone else!

lol hide it from the casual observer. With the 6-pack base on you probably won't be able to see any of the NOS stuff. Plus the truck is where I keep my beer.
Getting ready to pull the plug on a momo-leaf cal-trac as soon as my tax returns drop...shhhh don't tell my wife.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 02/07/14 02:53 PM

Gonna be a PITA to heat the bottle w/ it mounted under there.

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 02/07/14 09:33 PM

Quote:

yeah that's what people keep saying. However most of the guys around here don't heat them and I swear growing up nobody did. How hot does it need to be? I'm guessing on a typical summer day it's going to be pretty hot under there, it's right behind the engine and I have no insolation.....
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 02/07/14 09:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

yeah that's what people keep saying. However most of the guys around here don't heat them and I swear growing up nobody did. How hot does it need to be? I'm guessing on a typical summer day it's going to be pretty hot under there, it's right behind the engine and I have no insolation.....

I bet they do and you're just not seeing them do it. Or they're using warm water (bath warmers) and just putting a warm bottle in the car. Usually the temp is in the 85-90° range if I recall correctly.

If you don't stay on top of the bottle pressure and/or temperature, you're not gonna be abe to tune the nitrous at all and you'll most likely hurt some parts.
On the typical summer day, it will most likely get too hot under there.

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 02/07/14 09:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

This is one of the ares I see guys screw up in. Pressure is the key hence the bottle heater and I just don`t get it w/some guys...........no heater, no gauge to know where their pressure`s at...........

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 02/08/14 12:22 AM

I have a heater with a pressure switch hooked to the control. Also have a gauge, use the purge for consistent pressure at the starting line. 950psi seemed to give me good consistency without too much pressure drop throughout the run with a small shot. higher pressure will "hit" harder, but run the risk of being lean, and pressure will drop more over the run.

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 02/08/14 04:14 AM

Quote:

I have a heater with a pressure switch hooked to the control. Also have a gauge, use the purge for consistent pressure at the starting line. 950psi seemed to give me good consistency without too much pressure drop throughout the run with a small shot. higher pressure will "hit" harder, but run the risk of being lean, and pressure will drop more over the run.

Smart man...................... I`m no nos guy but the guys blowin stuff up generally have no heater or pressure gauge and figure it`s not needed and I`m sure Monte has a few stories.............

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 02/08/14 05:11 AM

I'm still a N2O novice by all means, but did quite a bit of homework before I installed my first kit, and everything went smooth. tune-up, plugs and timing were all basically spot on from the start...

Installing a kit at the moment on my other car, running similar times to Mr. Y, so it will be interesting to see how our results compare

Re: Tell me why I should or shouldn't - 02/08/14 06:55 AM

Good luck to both of you guys...................hate to see anyone hurt their motors.
© 2024 Moparts Forums