Moparts

BB Mopar Crank Drive Mandrels

Posted By: 408strokerdart

BB Mopar Crank Drive Mandrels - 01/28/14 09:30 PM

What is everyone using for a Vac pump or oil pump drive mandrel when using a BB Mopar balancer with a Chevy bolt pattern? Nothing clears the head of the damper bolt.....it's not even close with an ARP damper bolt. Who makes mandrel drives?

I've already checked Peterson, Moroso, Star....
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: BB Mopar Crank Drive Mandrels - 01/28/14 09:33 PM

Quote:

What is everyone using for a Vac pump or oil pump drive mandrel when using a BB Mopar balancer with a Chevy bolt pattern? Nothing clears the head of the damper bolt.....it's not even close with an ARP damper bolt. Who makes mandrel drives?

I've already checked Peterson, Moroso, Star....

I'm not home with my books but CV Products is where
I got all my drive stuff from
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: BB Mopar Crank Drive Mandrels - 01/28/14 09:46 PM

Just throwing this out there Brian but did you try Rons?

http://www.ronsfuel.com/carb_access.cfm

Re: BB Mopar Crank Drive Mandrels - 01/28/14 10:19 PM

Brian... this is one way for the CV system... they
have a bolt on plate to the balancer and then you add
what you want... or as in my case I used the bolt on
pulley then added what I wanted then the "HAT" at
the end with the center bolt

Attached picture 8015804-MVC-009F.JPG

Re: BB Mopar Crank Drive Mandrels - 01/28/14 10:28 PM

Quote:

Just throwing this out there Brian but did you try Rons?

http://www.ronsfuel.com/carb_access.cfm

Haven't looked there yet. Thanks.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: BB Mopar Crank Drive Mandrels - 01/28/14 10:30 PM

I used the Peterson spline drive setup and then clearanced the back side for the bolt head.

Re: BB Mopar Crank Drive Mandrels - 01/28/14 10:31 PM

Quote:

Brian... this is one way for the CV system... they
have a bolt on plate to the balancer and then you add
what you want... or as in my case I used the bolt on
pulley then added what I wanted then the "HAT" at
the end with the center bolt

I haven't looked at CV yet either. The big problem is with the BB balancer hub because it forces the balancer bolt to sit proud of the balancer a good distance where a SB Mopar balancer hub allows the balancer bolt head to sit below the front face of the balancer. Whatever bolts to the balancer face needs to have a large counterbore to clear the bolt head. Nothing I can find yet has this.
Posted By: bdaz smblk

Re: BB Mopar Crank Drive Mandrels - 01/28/14 11:19 PM

I have a aerospace on mine.
Posted By: dvw

Re: BB Mopar Crank Drive Mandrels - 01/28/14 11:20 PM

I use a GZ with mine.I run a flat faced Fluid Damper. It all fit perfect. However the ones they show are different than mine
Doug
http://www.gzmotorsports.com/

Attached picture 8015884-photo_4(1).JPG
Posted By: hemi-hunter

Re: BB Mopar Crank Drive Mandrels - 01/29/14 03:45 AM

BO LAWS

Re: BB Mopar Crank Drive Mandrels - 01/29/14 03:57 AM

Quote:

I used the Peterson spline drive setup and then clearanced the back side for the bolt head.

There was enough meat there to cut some away? How deep did you have to counterbore? You just used a standard hex head screw right....not the ARP?
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: BB Mopar Crank Drive Mandrels - 01/29/14 04:15 AM

Might look here. Always had good luck with Jones Products for pullies and belts. I have also used and liked the spline drive as well it's the shiznit

http://www.jonesracingproducts.com/

Re: BB Mopar Crank Drive Mandrels - 01/29/14 04:16 AM

What I have is a countersunk screw with a allen head
and it comes up flush

Re: BB Mopar Crank Drive Mandrels - 01/29/14 04:41 AM

I have a crank trigger so that acts as a spacer. I used a standard OEM crank bolt. I didn't have to machine much off the backside of the spline drive hub, just a small pocket.

I used to make these spline drive hubs for Mopar engines but nobody bought them so I quit making them.

Attached picture 8016407-spline.jpg
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: BB Mopar Crank Drive Mandrels - 01/29/14 04:48 AM

Quote:

Might look here. Always had good luck with Jones Products for pullies and belts. I have also used and liked the spline drive as well it's the shiznit

http://www.jonesracingproducts.com/

Super nice stuff, have used them a little.

Re: BB Mopar Crank Drive Mandrels - 01/29/14 06:08 AM

Quote:

I have a crank trigger so that acts as a spacer. I used a standard OEM crank bolt. I didn't have to machine much off the backside of the spline drive hub, just a small pocket.

I used to make these spline drive hubs for Mopar engines but nobody bought them so I quit making them.

I have the trigger wheel as part of my balancer so my issue is 1/4" worse.
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: BB Mopar Crank Drive Mandrels - 01/29/14 03:52 PM

We have these made locally, used on circle track cars a lot. Nice quality. As with most of them BBC stuff, you may have to recess a tad in the back. I am considering making a few with BBM standard bolt pattern as well.

As far as off the shelf stuff, Jones hands down, nice quality,,and you pay for it. I used their stuff on small block Mopar circle track .

CV is nice quality, probably the biggest line up of pieces, but not as Mopar friendly with their offering.

Not a huge fan of the GZ " system". Although they have a Mopar version, I dont like how they put it all together so to speak, but he quality seems fine.

Attached picture 8016838-BBCcrankmandrel.jpg
Posted By: Slingshot383

Re: BB Mopar Crank Drive Mandrels - 01/29/14 07:05 PM

Enderly Fuel Injection makes them.
Posted By: Plumb Wired

Re: BB Mopar Crank Drive Mandrels - 01/29/14 07:36 PM

BB ???????
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: BB Mopar Crank Drive Mandrels - 01/29/14 08:16 PM

Weaver Brothers here in Carson City, Nevada.

Web site has alot to go through and doesn't have many pictures of their products but it is top of the line stuff

http://weaverbrothers.com/index.html

Attached picture 8017180-IMG_0131.JPG

Re: BB Mopar Crank Drive Mandrels - 01/29/14 09:27 PM

Quote:

BB ???????

SB isn't the only thing that makes it on my stand...
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: BB Mopar Crank Drive Mandrels - 01/30/14 09:11 PM

I just switched from an Aerospace Components drive mandrel to a setup from CV Products. The CV stuff is VERY nice.
No more Aerospace Components junk for me.

Re: BB Mopar Crank Drive Mandrels - 01/30/14 11:09 PM

It looks like Peterson has spacers that simply space the mandrel forward for clearance. They have from 1/4" up to 3/4" (as long as you have the Chevy front pattern). This is what I will do this time, but their spline drive stuff looks real nice.

Re: BB Mopar Crank Drive Mandrels - 01/30/14 11:21 PM

Yes, the spline drive is a much improved design over the traditional keyway mandrel. It does cost some money to switch though since you need to buy new pulleys.

Re: BB Mopar Crank Drive Mandrels - 01/30/14 11:24 PM

The CV products drive setup doesn't use a shaft w/ a keyway either. They use a "pinned" drive setup...it just stacks together and aligns w/ 2 dowel pins. Then one long bolt just holds the stack together.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: BB Mopar Crank Drive Mandrels - 01/30/14 11:36 PM

Quote:

The CV products drive setup doesn't use a shaft w/ a keyway either. They use a "pinned" drive setup...it just stacks together and aligns w/ 2 dowel pins. Then one long bolt just holds the stack together.

Me personally, I HATE the stuff with the long bolt. I want the bolt to hold the balancer only, then the drive centers in the register and uses the 3 balancer bolts to attach. To me this is a much better design, as well as being able to turn the motor either way with the drive

Monte

Re: BB Mopar Crank Drive Mandrels - 01/30/14 11:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Me personally, I HATE the stuff with the long bolt. I want the bolt to hold the balancer only, then the drive centers in the register and uses the 3 balancer bolts to attach. To me this is a much better design, as well as being able to turn the motor either way with the drive

Monte

The long bolt doesn't bolt to the crankshaft. You use a normal short crank to balancer bolt. Then bolt on the crank/drive hub like a normal crank pulley would bolt on. The long bolt just holds the stack of pullies/spacers to the drive hub.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: BB Mopar Crank Drive Mandrels - 01/31/14 02:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

The long bolt doesn't bolt to the crankshaft. You use a normal short crank to balancer bolt. Then bolt on the crank/drive hub like a normal crank pulley would bolt on. The long bolt just holds the stack of pullies/spacers to the drive hub.

Gotcha.......that's better, but I still prefer a spline drive or similar that will let me rotate the motor with what is on the end of the mandrel.

Monte

Re: BB Mopar Crank Drive Mandrels - 01/31/14 04:28 PM

CV Products mandrel I used on one my past R3/W8 builds.

Attached picture 8019532-CVProductsMandrel.JPG

Re: BB Mopar Crank Drive Mandrels - 01/31/14 04:43 PM

Here is a picture of the Mopar spline drives that I used to make. They took forever to sell so I stopped making them. I was lucky to sell one a year so it just wasn't worth building the inventory.

Attached picture 8019543-AR236(Large).jpg

Re: BB Mopar Crank Drive Mandrels - 01/31/14 04:50 PM

Does anyone have a part number for the cv products drive? Looks a lot nicer then my moroso one.

Re: BB Mopar Crank Drive Mandrels - 01/31/14 05:03 PM

Quote:

Does anyone have a part number for the cv products drive? Looks a lot nicer then my moroso one.

I believe the mopar crank hub is CVD53225
5" pulley CVD30202
3" pulley CVD70204
Can't find the number for the end cap...the pullies and end caps are all universal.

They have all different thicknesses of spacers if you need them. I didn't use any.

Re: BB Mopar Crank Drive Mandrels - 01/31/14 05:08 PM

Where are you guys buying your cv products stuff?

Re: BB Mopar Crank Drive Mandrels - 01/31/14 05:11 PM

Quote:

Directly from CV products.

BigCube put some good pics on this thread...
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=7907772

Re: BB Mopar Crank Drive Mandrels - 02/01/14 01:01 AM

Quote:

I have my old invoice from 2003 where I purchased direct from them. Don't know if the numbers are still good but here's what I bought:

1-CVD53225 drive hub Dodge 6-bolt
4-CVD43224 crank hub spacer .600" thick
1-CVD 43221 crank hub spacer.1875" thick
1-CVD43005 .050 separator/16-19t gears twin-pin
1-CVD44501 hex head hat washer
1-CV687 1/2" x 5" bolt
1-CV688 1/2" x 5 1/2" bolt
1-CVD15218 gilmer gear/18t twin-pin

I had some spacers and one of the bolts left over after getting the spacing right for the external oil pump.

Re: BB Mopar Crank Drive Mandrels - 02/01/14 06:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I have my old invoice from 2003 where I purchased direct from them. Don't know if the numbers are still good but here's what I bought:

1-CVD53225 drive hub Dodge 6-bolt
4-CVD43224 crank hub spacer .600" thick
1-CVD 43221 crank hub spacer.1875" thick
1-CVD43005 .050 separator/16-19t gears twin-pin
1-CVD44501 hex head hat washer
1-CV687 1/2" x 5" bolt
1-CV688 1/2" x 5 1/2" bolt
1-CVD15218 gilmer gear/18t twin-pin

I had some spacers and one of the bolts left over after getting the spacing right for the external oil pump.

Thanks
© 2024 Moparts Forums