Moparts

Will it pass tech inspection?

Posted By: quickd100

Will it pass tech inspection? - 12/23/08 05:28 PM

One of my projects this winter is to upgrade my fuel system. I'm going to run 2 140gph electric fuel pumps in parallel to a Y feeding a 1/2" line up to the regulator. As this is also a street driven vehicle, I'd also like to install a couple 1/4 turn shutoff valves between the fuel cell and each pump. I'd shut one down for street driving, and have a convenient spare.
Does anyone know if this would get tossed by the tech inspector at the track?Dave
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Will it pass tech inspection? - 12/23/08 05:35 PM

It'll pass, if its in the proper area of the veh and
protected if hanging low

Re: Will it pass tech inspection? - 12/23/08 05:39 PM

Thanks Mike! That allI needed to know. Dave
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Will it pass tech inspection? - 12/24/08 02:34 AM

To answer the question, I don't see why it wouldn't pass tech at the track. But, I don't think you want to run a pump if you have the fuel to it shut off. The fuel acts as a coolant and lubricant. Why not run a separate switch, relay or whatever for each pump and only run 1 pump except when you are at the track? Worked for me when I used 2 Holleys.
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 12/24/08 02:44 AM

Re: Will it pass tech inspection? - 12/24/08 02:57 AM

I sorry if I wasn't real clear. I intend to run separate switches and wiring to the 2 pumps. I have no intention on running a pump without fuel in it. I just can't see running both pumps when i'm just cruising around. If I get hassled by some dumb punk in a mustwang it's easy to step out and turn a quarter turn valve on if need be. Dave
Posted By: jcc

Re: Will it pass tech inspection? - 12/24/08 02:57 AM

Is the OP concerned about back feeding the turned off pump, and therefore thinks he needs an inline shut-off valve?
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 12/24/08 03:27 AM

Posted By: Kevins493

Re: Will it pass tech inspection? - 12/24/08 03:32 AM

Quote:

Better yet, keep it simple and install one big return-style pump and be done with it.

That's how it was done in the new car (in my sig.)
Posted By: fasteddie

Re: Will it pass tech inspection? - 12/24/08 03:35 AM

One pump and a return style system with enough flow to do the job. Simpler and less expensive.
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Will it pass tech inspection? - 12/24/08 03:50 AM

If you do not stop the flow the pump will backfeed. The reason is the vanes will slide into the drive wheel when the pump is not spinning.

You do not have to run 1/4 turn valves. You can simply install a check ball valve in the line between race only pump and Y-block. This way when cruising the street you run one pump and the check ball valve. This will work.

I WOULD SIMPLY RUN A GOOD PUMP LIKE THE AEROMOTIVE A2000. THIS IS A RETURN STYLE PUMP THAT WILL DO WELL WITH CONTINUOUS SERVICE. THEY ARE VERY REASONABLE PUMPS. 350 GPH AND HAVE A RETURN BUILT IN AND ADJUSTABLE REGULATOR FOR DESIRED LINE PRESSURE.

Leon
Posted By: dizuster

Re: Will it pass tech inspection? - 12/24/08 03:57 AM

Even Aeromotive suggests not running an a2000 on the street without a stepdown box though...
Posted By: cyphre666

Re: Will it pass tech inspection? - 12/24/08 01:31 PM

on mine, I have 2 pumps.
Switch for each.
Works great.
I even alternate which pump I run
until I use both.
© 2024 Moparts Forums