Moparts

Old Cam cores gone and new pricing..ouch

Posted By: Sammy

Old Cam cores gone and new pricing..ouch - 01/17/14 02:01 PM

Well it seems like the old cam cores and now gone from most cam manufacturers. Cores coming from Crane have all but dried up so now to order a new cam will definitely give you sticker shock.
New solid roller cam from Comp cams is $813.00 from $395.00
New better,stronger design but wow twice the price.
Just a heads up when you order your new cam this year.
Posted By: BradH

Re: Old Cam cores gone and new pricing..ouch - 01/17/14 03:51 PM

First I've heard about that.

I'll make do w/ what I've got already at that sort of price.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Old Cam cores gone and new pricing..ouch - 01/17/14 04:44 PM

Glad i saved all my 750 lift roller cams from the 1970's.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Old Cam cores gone and new pricing..ouch - 01/17/14 05:03 PM

I have 1 spare new 48* blank... hate t see what those
would go for
Posted By: 80fbody

Re: Old Cam cores gone and new pricing..ouch - 01/17/14 05:18 PM

What's a rough cost to re-grind a roller cam?
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Old Cam cores gone and new pricing..ouch - 01/17/14 05:18 PM

Wow....Going to order a cam from a place I had a quote and just have been laying back on getting...
Posted By: TheBlackCar

Re: Old Cam cores gone and new pricing..ouch - 01/17/14 06:02 PM

First I've heard this.

Current Summit pricing does not reflect this....

Perhaps someone quoted you cam and lifters?

Maybe Chase will see this and confirm.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Old Cam cores gone and new pricing..ouch - 01/17/14 06:16 PM

I have heard that SOME of the cores are hard to come
by but didnt know it was this bad(if it really is)
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: Old Cam cores gone and new pricing..ouch - 01/17/14 06:17 PM

Not true. I ordered some this AM and same price as always. SOME specialty cores are going up but not that much. COMP has had no recent cost increases to speak of.
Todd
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Old Cam cores gone and new pricing..ouch - 01/17/14 07:31 PM

Try Isky.............I thaught they ground their own cams on their own cores.............

Re: Old Cam cores gone and new pricing..ouch - 01/17/14 07:47 PM

Quote:

Not true. I ordered some this AM and same price as always. SOME specialty cores are going up but not that much. COMP has had no recent cost increases to speak of.
Todd

Specialty cam and 55mm ones got the increase is what I was told
Not the off shelf ones
Posted By: cknight

Re: Old Cam cores gone and new pricing..ouch - 01/17/14 08:26 PM

Quote:

First I've heard this.

Crane had their first steel cam price increase in seven years last July, roughly ten percent on standard journal type cams. Iron gear, larger journal, 9310, and tool steel cams certainly cost more. Regards, Chase

Re: Old Cam cores gone and new pricing..ouch - 01/17/14 09:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

First I've heard this.

Crane had their first steel cam price increase in seven years last July, roughly ten percent on standard journal type cams. Iron gear, larger journal, 9310, and tool steel cams certainly cost more. Regards, Chase

And there you have it.
Can't believe a $395.00 comp cam is going to cost me
$813.00
Posted By: TheBlackCar

Re: Old Cam cores gone and new pricing..ouch - 01/17/14 09:39 PM

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-23-000-9/overview/

Still confused? Chase said only a 10% increase on Crane end. Your quote is double. Perhaps you should shop around.

Good Luck

PS Thanks for the input Chase
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: Old Cam cores gone and new pricing..ouch - 01/17/14 10:20 PM

I like Oregon Cams. http://www.oregoncamshaft.com/
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Old Cam cores gone and new pricing..ouch - 01/17/14 10:23 PM

Quote:

Try Isky.............I thaught they ground their own cams on their own cores.............

Blanks are forged or cast, not ground. Blanks are like anything else though, not as cheap as they used to be, so just depends on how many blanks "X" company has on hand. Special firing orders, like an LS firing order, require a custom blank, so those are always high. And certain grinds, needed for certain motors, just physically won't fit on older design blanks. So in that case, you are looking at a custom blank or a billet cam. Either of those will set you back a grand

Monte
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: Old Cam cores gone and new pricing..ouch - 01/17/14 10:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Blanks are forged or cast, not ground. Blanks are like anything else though, not as cheap as they used to be, so just depends on how many blanks "X" company has on hand. Special firing orders, like an LS firing order, require a custom blank, so those are always high. And certain grinds, needed for certain motors, just physically won't fit on older design blanks. So in that case, you are looking at a custom blank or a billet cam. Either of those will set you back a grand

Monte

Case in point....55mm, 2347 swap, LSM billet, custom grind, $700
Posted By: cknight

Re: Old Cam cores gone and new pricing..ouch - 01/20/14 03:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Good quality roller blanks are machined from steel bar stock. There are many choices of materials, depending on the usage. Regards, Chase
Monte

Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Old Cam cores gone and new pricing..ouch - 01/20/14 09:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Good quality roller blanks are machined from steel bar stock. There are many choices of materials, depending on the usage. Regards, Chase
Monte

I was speaking of blanks in general as being forged or cast.......While it is true that roller blanks are machined from steel bar stock, there are still "standard" blanks, correct? And when you deviate from this "standard" in lobe selection and it requires a "custom" blank, things get pricey.

I know in my own dealings with BBM nitrous stuff, the lobes I WANT, do NOT fit on the standard blanks that everybody has and we need a custom blank.

Monte

Re: Old Cam cores gone and new pricing..ouch - 01/20/14 11:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

I was speaking of blanks in general as being forged or cast.......While it is true that roller blanks are machined from steel bar stock, there are still "standard" blanks, correct? And when you deviate from this "standard" in lobe selection and it requires a "custom" blank, things get pricey.

I know in my own dealings with BBM nitrous stuff, the lobes I WANT, do NOT fit on the standard blanks that everybody has and we need a custom blank.

Monte

That's exactly correct Monty.
But now the old stock is gone for the custom lobe cams and those have the sticker shock on them. I'm getting ready to hold my ankles on my invoice from comp cams on my new ground cam with new cores.
Stay tuned
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Old Cam cores gone and new pricing..ouch - 01/21/14 01:35 AM

some cam maker(won't tell) told me that a roller can't be reground.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Old Cam cores gone and new pricing..ouch - 01/21/14 01:38 AM

Oregon Cams is a good place to work with if you have a roller cam that needs to be tweaked a little bit. I assume they use Crane for their cores but I've never asked them.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Old Cam cores gone and new pricing..ouch - 01/21/14 02:08 AM

I'd say they are wrong. Bullet reground my roller 2yrs ago. All depends on how much is reground before u take off the hardness.
Posted By: 408Dust

Re: Old Cam cores gone and new pricing..ouch - 01/21/14 03:24 PM

Wrong- I have one 54mm cam that has been reground twice and another one that is going in for it's second regrind. Depends on who you deal with.

Quote:

Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Old Cam cores gone and new pricing..ouch - 01/21/14 05:43 PM

just had bullet regrind my comp cam for the second time. I think it was $125. a new bullet solid roller would have been $425 at the time.
Posted By: BradH

Re: Old Cam cores gone and new pricing..ouch - 01/21/14 05:49 PM

Quote:

Funny... Oregon Cams is across the river in Vancouver, Washington.

Having lived & worked in Portland, OR, and Vancouver, WA, many years ago, I just found that amusing.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Old Cam cores gone and new pricing..ouch - 01/22/14 02:13 AM

Quote:

Wrong- I have one 54mm cam that has been reground twice and another one that is going in for it's second regrind. Depends on who you deal with.

Quote:

Anybody will do anything for a dollar i guess but is it correct, what problems will arise? I seem to remember something about surface hardness. I don't know either, just going on what i was told. The guy has been in business since dirt was made.
Posted By: Von

Re: Old Cam cores gone and new pricing..ouch - 01/22/14 02:48 AM

I was also told that usually they cant be or shouldnt be reground due to surface hardness. Not saying who, but a respected builder.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Old Cam cores gone and new pricing..ouch - 01/22/14 05:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Funny... Oregon Cams is across the river in Vancouver, Washington.

Having lived & worked in Portland, OR, and Vancouver, WA, many years ago, I just found that amusing.

Story I heard was he moved to WA for tax reasons and/or because Portland filled up with weird liberal types who hate small business people. But yes, OR Cams is in Washington.
Posted By: 408Dust

Re: Old Cam cores gone and new pricing..ouch - 01/22/14 02:39 PM

First thing checked is if the cam can be reground if so no problem.I will word this to be politically correct as not to offend,a lot positions/opinions are based on a point of sale view.

Quote:

I was also told that usually they cant be or shouldnt be reground due to surface hardness. Not saying who, but a respected builder.

© 2024 Moparts Forums