http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVmJ-bW7IpM&feature=youtu.be
Posted By: 72demon416

Re: How NOT to add NOS - 12/29/13 04:52 AM

Posted By: Deepockets

Re: How NOT to add NOS - 12/29/13 04:52 AM

wow! good for a laugh!
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: How NOT to add NOS - 12/29/13 05:26 AM

Hmm. I bought stuff in a can that said 'NOS' I poured it into my gas tank. Did I do it right?
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: How NOT to add NOS - 12/29/13 05:51 AM

LMAO

The box of rocks called... they want their dumb back.

What a bunch of idiots.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: How NOT to add NOS - 12/29/13 06:55 AM

Quick and easy way to push out a head gasket.......LOL!!

Monte
Posted By: rickraw

Re: How NOT to add NOS - 12/29/13 08:14 AM

Posted By: SpareParts

Re: How NOT to add NOS - 12/29/13 12:07 PM

Quote:

Quick and easy way to push out a head gasket.......LOL!!

Monte

So in your expert opinion, this IS NOT the correct tune up? I just want to make sure I am not using my wonderful Big Shot plate wrong adding all that fuel.
Posted By: Michael Ecks

Re: How NOT to add NOS - 12/29/13 05:04 PM

Looks like somewhere between a 50 and 400 shot?

Kind of hard to tell with no control. I'm guessing that's why they make those neat jetted-nozzle thingies.
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: How NOT to add NOS - 12/29/13 05:43 PM

without fuel to match it stoichiometric ratio..
they basically just put any flame/fire out in that motor...basically same as spraying it with a co2 fire extinguisher..
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: How NOT to add NOS - 12/29/13 06:26 PM

Exactly the opposite. They ADDED an oxidizer, not removed it.
I did the exact same thing to a lawnmower that I repaired for a guy. He didn't want to pay me, so he left with a lawnmower that didn't work.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: How NOT to add NOS - 12/29/13 06:28 PM

We have done that on the dyno with some pretty good results. Spools the turbo faster and clears up the smoke..............in a diesel lol.
Posted By: cj391

Re: How NOT to add NOS - 12/29/13 08:19 PM

did that to a stone stock 8:1 350 in tech school. 500 whp for a second lol, and then pistons in the oil pan.
Posted By: chryco

Re: How NOT to add NOS - 12/29/13 08:32 PM

Love the sound of that lonely turbo spooling down for the last time ....................
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: How NOT to add NOS - 12/29/13 08:48 PM

This is one reason IF I ever have the need for some spray I will be giving Monte a call. I can't afford to do a bone-head move.

Re: How NOT to add NOS - 12/29/13 09:05 PM

Just the dose of pure nitrous is not what hurt it, because without the proper amount of fuel to go with the added oxidizer, you are not doing anything.............BUT.........in this instance, as obviously they were "tuning" on the car, I would bet my bottom dollar the tune was rich. So when they hit it with all the nitrous, the tune got "clean" for a split second(you hear the motor rev)it made some real power, was over timed for that power and pushed a head gasket out.

Monte
Posted By: hp340nos

Re: How NOT to add NOS - 12/29/13 09:12 PM

the new style fogger system.haha
Posted By: 1968RR

Re: How NOT to add NOS - 12/29/13 11:55 PM

Why am I not surprised that this happened near where I live?
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: How NOT to add NOS - 12/30/13 12:46 AM

"without fuel to match it stoichiometric ratio"

Stoichiometric is irrelevant to tuning an engine for power except as a point of departure: find it, and go lower.
14.7:1 etc. is definitely not what you want to make with nitrous.
The real question isn't rich or not, but how rich.
Posted By: fbernard

Re: How NOT to add NOS - 12/30/13 03:01 PM

Quote:

Stoichiometric is irrelevant

It would be relevant if we knew the stoichiometric ratio for aluminum!

Maybe they did find a new way to aluminize exhaust pipes from the inside to prevent rust...
Posted By: DusterDave

Re: How NOT to add NOS - 12/30/13 04:48 PM

Quote:

"without fuel to match it stoichiometric ratio"

Stoichiometric is irrelevant to tuning an engine for power except as a point of departure: find it, and go lower.
14.7:1 etc. is definitely not what you want to make with nitrous.
The real question isn't rich or not, but how rich.

Monte, where you at?
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: How NOT to add NOS - 12/30/13 04:49 PM

Quote:

Just the dose of pure nitrous is not what hurt it, because without the proper amount of fuel to go with the added oxidizer, you are not doing anything.............BUT.........in this instance, as obviously they were "tuning" on the car, I would bet my bottom dollar the tune was rich. So when they hit it with all the nitrous, the tune got "clean" for a split second(you hear the motor rev)it made some real power, was over timed for that power and pushed a head gasket out.

Monte

Liquid on a MAF will usually have it read low, but the nitrous had transitioned to gas at that point and was being "counted" by the air meter so the ecu kept adding fuel. I don't think they changed the tune any, I think they just opened up the bottle with the motor at wot and hoped for the best. Unfortunately on a lot of cars timing is modified based on intake temp, so when the intake temp plummeted the ecu thought the motor could handle additional timing.

I will say I don't think I've ever seen a head gasket pop that quickly, lol.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: How NOT to add NOS - 12/30/13 05:13 PM

Back on Drag Week 10 when the crew was running the
Wanbulance, the alt took a dump...so they bought a cheapo
gen to hang on the back bumper to run a charger..
on the last night we tried to blow up the gen, hitting
it with spray.... never did blow that thing up...
but it was fun trying
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: How NOT to add NOS - 12/30/13 06:09 PM

Quote:

Back on Drag Week 10 when the crew was running the
Wanbulance, the alt took a dump...so they bought a cheapo
gen to hang on the back bumper to run a charger..
on the last night we tried to blow up the gen, hitting
it with spray.... never did blow that thing up...
but it was fun trying

Thats an example of the timing issue... Generator engines are not tuned for throttle response. They are tuned for max torque. Alot can be taken from this simple example

Re: How NOT to add NOS - 12/30/13 06:42 PM

Stoichiometric is a fixed number. It is what it is. NO performance engine will run under power at stoichiometric ratio. Cruise maybe, under power no. It is too lean to make power.

Nitrous motors make best power at the same A/F the motor makes best power. So if your engine performs best at say 12:8.1 and you decide you want to spray, THAT is the A/F number you tune to.

As for the video, it is easy to see the sequence of events if you watch and listen. When the nitrous first hit, the ECU compensated and it went dead rich. It cleaned up a little, the rpm jumped, it made power, hit the limiter and then pushed a head gasket.

Doubt the motor was even hurt other than the head gasket.

Monte
© 2024 Moparts Forums