Moparts

Moparts Racers..2013 The Year In Review....

Posted By: tboomer

Moparts Racers..2013 The Year In Review.... - 12/26/13 01:53 PM

Well guys....The end of the year is almost upon us! What are some of the highlites and better moments for you in 2013? I will start by saying that I am still home recovering from neurosurgery and making some progress. I will know a lot more after the 14th of January. I got to see Jim Rickman wheel my 64 into the winners circle in Pro ET at Cedar Falls for the Mopar Max race. That just made my day! On the board here we lost a few members. I was saddened by the lose of Randy Borowski.(Hope I spelled that right!) So lets hear what everyone has to say! I want to wish each of you a very prosperous 2014! Ted
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Moparts Racers..2013 The Year In Review.... - 12/26/13 03:42 PM

I finally got the Rampage on the road... I spent most
of everyday working on this to get it completed
for DW but fell short when I ran into engine problems..
finally got that figured out(was the cyl heads being
bad.. still dont know whats bad with them)I got
it completed with the W-2s on it 3 days before we
left for DW so I left the Rampage at home and rode
shotgun with my buddy Dale in his 52 ford PU... as
usual the week was great on DW... when we got home
I started running the Rampage almost everyday and
its been running strong.... more testing in 2014 on
the road and track to dial it in... I am in the process
of building a trick small enclosed trailer to drag
behind the Rampage... that should be done in a week
or so... that should bring my trailer count up to 12 trailers
EDIT
I put the P-Body up for sale.. either as a turn key
with fresh engine and trans or as a roller... I will
be sorry to see it go but it deserves to be run WOT

Attached picture 7971759-DSC00232.JPG
Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: Moparts Racers..2013 The Year In Review.... - 12/26/13 03:44 PM

Well let's see, I lost my job again(3 time in 5years) at no fault of my own, got another job making 11.00 bucks less an hour, but I am thankful I have one when so many don't ! There were a lot of lose both on the board and in my personal life ! I was sad as well with the passing of Randy aka labrat ! God bless his family in 2014 !
I only made it to one race this year and cracked my block, that took care of the rest of the year ! I hope to have my new bullet(thanks BGR) together and make some more races this year ! Hope to get pops in the drivers seat this year as last was a bad Health year for both him and mom ! I am thankful I still have them in my life, and that my wife and kids support me through the ups and downs in whatever I want to do ! I sure hope that everyone here has a great New Year, I hope it bring everyone everything they want ! God bless !

John and Family

Attached picture 7971761-image.jpg
Posted By: rt66jim

Re: Moparts Racers..2013 The Year In Review.... - 12/26/13 03:54 PM

Well my year didn't start well. My dad died in April. His funeral was the same day as the local Mopar race. I had the car out a couple of times.

In May I answered an add in the race section. And bought a tube chassis Daytona from member Doug Cook. I hope to have it out sometime in 2014. Will be putting the drive train out of the old Dart in it.

In June Isold my old Dart to member Jason Reese. Made a new friend at the same time. Jason is a great guy. I think his plan are to have the car out this spring.
Posted By: dizuster

Re: Moparts Racers..2013 The Year In Review.... - 12/26/13 04:28 PM

I have to say that this has been one of the best years of my life.

1) A smart/beautiful/loving/happy wife that supports me in whatever I do, and really keeps our life organized and put together.

2) Two perfectly happy kids that just turned 4 (both of which are mopar/car nuts) My son almost lost his mind when he saw the mopar pro-stock slot car's under the tree this Christmas. And every time I take my daughter to daycare in my Plymouth she says "Go fast and make the turbo whistle Daddy."

3) Started my new fantastic job at Chrysler in October. Low stress and very rewarding.

4) Finished re-modeling my garage from a dungeon to bright/heated haven with a hoist.

5) Finally got to start racing with my Dad (dvw) again this summer after waaaaaay too many years of not doing it.

6) Not to mention that my car has continued to surprise everyone (including me) with what a mopar can do with a pile of stock parts and some boost. Almost made it in the 9's... and I firmly believe if the 8 3/4" would have lasted just one more pass it would have made it! Best pass of the year was [Email]10.08@136mph.[/Email] Not bad considering the first pass of the year was in the 11.20's! Best vid of the year (not sure who took this), but it really shows just how quiet/smooth this thing is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q_n1GF2B4U

Overall... it's been a fantastic year... can't wait for spring so I can do it all over again.

Picture below of Me and Dad... (for the record, I got Tree'd and beat to the stripe on this run!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tco9nDkGlNI

Attached picture 7971801-P1010889.JPG
Posted By: cgall

Re: Moparts Racers..2013 The Year In Review.... - 12/26/13 09:48 PM

Ventured out about 10 times, got in 50+ passes, one win and one runner-up. Finally replaced my Phoenix slicks at 175 passes, they were still hooking but they were 5 years old! Car started slowing down about .04 each run at my last event. Found 3 loose rockers and the lifters were worn. Time for a freshen-up anyway, but my 20 year-old Mopar 590 cam and lifters are being retired. I blame Vernmotor for this, as I had painted my engine red for this year!

Had some good times hanging out with Prochamp, AAR-B4, Pozest and many others. Thanks to RBDuster for hauling me to the final Mo-Power race and to that lousy Monster race, also thanks for letting me stay in the motor home.

That's my story, where are 69Dart, 440Jim and all the other racers?

Posted By: BJS racing

Re: Moparts Racers..2013 The Year In Review.... - 12/27/13 12:13 AM

Well my year was certainly odd. After my wife and I having problems and splitting up we were able to get some things turned around and are really happy. I did get to go run the dragster a couple of times this year but it seems like we are still working out the new car blues. Best pass was a 5.84 @ 104 and shutting it off almost 80 ft. short of the finish line when the oil pressure sensor decided to rattle its self apart and the gauge went to 0. Then on the final outing it decided it really liked the tree and on the launch it turned straight for it on the first pass. The second pass wheel stood to the point the score boards disappeared and I had to lift. I am back at Painless Wiring now and am great full for being back. I love what I'm doing and the family is great and the "project" looks like its going to get back in the garage and actually start getting worked on. I also found out today that it looks like I am going to be wiring a couple of cars for the VP of sales for Holley. Looking forward to a great 2014!
Posted By: MikeyT

Re: Moparts Racers..2013 The Year In Review.... - 12/27/13 06:46 AM

Starting to dial in the road runner. I went to the track a couple times.. Didn't break anything, so I considered it a success!

Mike
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Moparts Racers..2013 The Year In Review.... - 12/27/13 07:51 AM

Didn't get to run as much as I wanted to but did make it to a couple of new to me tracks,,Indy and Quaker City, Indy was pretty wet and Quaker City was awesome, did end up 12th in super pro points in the Monster Mopar series, not bad for a miserable showing at Indy.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Moparts Racers..2013 The Year In Review.... - 12/27/13 08:02 PM

WOW where do we start. I won some money but not as much as Matt (whiskyrunner) so I had to pay off our yearly bet of 50 dollars and a bottle of booze. Ran a new best (10.06@130mph) at the current weight of 2850 pounds with the pump gas (93 octain) 408 in the Duster. Did pretty good in points till a mystery illness shot my temperature up over 105 degrees knocking me out for 3 points races. Helped some Friends out by repairing there heads during the season. Finally upgraded the wheels on the Duster to some black aluma-stars and the front end of the car is getting upgraded as we speak so I can get a matching set for the front. And I am almost ready to start building next years 408 with better heads, better intake, new Wisco pistons and higher compression, much bigger cam, and probably alcohol.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Moparts Racers..2013 The Year In Review.... - 12/27/13 10:44 PM

2013 was a great year for me and my Family. My wife and I both have good jobs. We had our first child and he is Healthy and happy(7 weeks now).

I managed to finish this season .28 and 3mph faster than last season with the same short block(thank you shady del). I finished a 2nd Drag week and this time my Dad went with me so that was very cool. All in all a great year.

Clark
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: Moparts Racers..2013 The Year In Review.... - 12/29/13 02:57 AM

Great year for me. Didn't go racing a lot which showed in my pathetic reaction times, but had a lot of fun at Mopars at Milan and Monster Mopar at Norwalk in September. Got a new enclosed trailer, installed a 12 point cage in the '65 Dart, and got the Duster to bracket race with a 12.50 dial-in (a goal of mine was to have a consistent mid-12 second small block street car.)

I also broke my rear end. But I'm getting a new one.
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Moparts Racers..2013 The Year In Review.... - 12/29/13 03:50 PM

After sitting since 2007, with the help of some fantastic friends, the fire was refueled for me in the Dart. My entire race operation is again organized into a turn key deal. I only made it out once, but am looking forward to hanging out with friends at RFR and BIR in 2014.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Moparts Racers..2013 The Year In Review.... - 12/29/13 05:01 PM

Leigh! Good luck to ya! Been a few rumors floating around that CFR may be cutting way back due to IHRA taking over. If that is the case Bill at Tri-State will see an increased car count! I am sure we should know something by February or so.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Moparts Racers..2013 The Year In Review.... - 12/29/13 06:17 PM

THREE...season wins, and the Championship! I would say we had a good year...Kept me busy to say the least.....
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Moparts Racers..2013 The Year In Review.... - 12/29/13 07:20 PM

Had my best year ever, although I had more eliminator Wins a few years ago this past year I won my first track championship in Street Eliminator, I didn`t do well at the Bracket Finals but being in the Race of Champions was pretty cool and a great experience! I`m going to try hard to get back there next year. Due to issues at my home track I started the year racing at Raceway Park and did poorly but when my home track reopened I started doing well there. The rounds I lost were due mainly to not so good top end driving as in most cases I had the better R.T. but ran out something I really have to work on for next year. I also raced my D150 a few times and went some rounds but its only eliminator Win was late in the year with my friend driving.

Attached picture 7975709-IMG_0182.jpg
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Moparts Racers..2013 The Year In Review.... - 12/29/13 07:34 PM

Terrible year... Divorce was finalized in July, had the car out two times, and spit out a head gasket each time. I have worked almost every day since May, and finalized the year with a average of 53 hours worked per week. No time to do anything. I have the car apart but no real disire to put it back together at this point. All I want to do right now is wait for spring and ride my Harley.

Jeff
Posted By: 73swinger

Re: Moparts Racers..2013 The Year In Review.... - 12/29/13 10:54 PM

Issues with every vehicle made life interesting.
Got to Mopar Max at Cedar Falls, Hang out with Ted and crew .
My friend Tom Hoffman secured the NSS season championship there.
Also I managed to win Sportsman class both days.
Posted By: top8x7b

Re: Moparts Racers..2013 The Year In Review.... - 12/30/13 03:28 AM

2013 Stated out at Mopower event at Columbus we were runner up in pro class after winning pro class there in 2012 monster mopar was a wet adventure then bought a new house with a new shop so been trying to get that all set,hope to get a lot more racing in 2014
Posted By: dvw

Re: Moparts Racers..2013 The Year In Review.... - 12/30/13 10:14 AM

Finally got the car finished. Celebrated 35 years with my wife. And where else would we be, the racetrack. Went some rounds, even won a race. Took my grand kids to the track so they could see me beat their Dad. Got to go to Europe for work. Traveled to Alaska for vacation. I have a great job, no more dealership ,HURRAY! What a great year
Doug

Attached picture 7976633-milan.jpg
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Moparts Racers..2013 The Year In Review.... - 12/31/13 02:39 AM

Went faster than ever before by more than a second. Broke stuff. Went out first round about 6 times in a row ( including a red at the MATS when I had the most consistent car in Pro ). Learned a lot about blower motors. Got a year older. Didn't kill myself - which is why I got a year older.

Attached picture 7977418-dastrip.jpg
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Moparts Racers..2013 The Year In Review.... - 12/31/13 09:10 AM

Well we followed up and awesome 2012 with an even better 2013. I still cannot really believe how it worked out but somehow we managed to improve upon a second place finish in the Division with a Championship in S/ST in D7 for 13. Even with all the issues from the 5 transmission, 8 converters and catching the car on fire. In the end we persevered and pulled it off.

Had a lot of help along the way from my son, and wife for sure. One with sweat and blood the other with encouragement and support. We also got some help from great companies. Firecore has taken care of us over the years and Rick and crew stepped up again to help. Nick Hoffman from Hoffman Performance Products in Houston TX stepped up with some help as well. Great guy and awesome products. We also get help from PAC springs, Mickey Thompson tires, Les and the gang at Figspeed, and of course. Also want to thank Jason Pettis for building us a killer power plant, the guys at Devious Designs for helping out with the airbrush work, and of course all you guys here for being a sounding board and for the advice over the years.

Hopefully we can go out in 2014 and represent the Mopar world well. I am still unsure of what exactly whether we will run for the points in 14 or just go have some fun and travel a bit. No matter what I will be sharing my experiences with my Moparts family!!
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Moparts Racers..2013 The Year In Review.... - 12/31/13 10:22 AM

Well, since we didn't have a racetrack here in Phoenix for most of the year, we did very little..

Raced the Firebird National and Divisional end of last Feb. and first weekend of March..

Then Won The "Police Shootout" at Mopars @ The Strip..

Won "Best In Show" too..

Went to Vegas in Nov. just to have issues all weekend..

Guess that happens when the car sits most of the year..

Looking forward to 2014.. New racetrack www.racewildhorse.com and

hopefully some sponsorship..

We'll see..

HAPPY NEW YEAR..

Chris..

Attached picture 7977915-TM_Police-Firemen-car.jpg
Posted By: rebel

Re: Moparts Racers..2013 The Year In Review.... - 12/31/13 10:46 AM

Dragged my 'cuda out of the shed after a 10 year hibernation. bought a motor from a member on here, shipped it half way across the world & joined the 2 together. Today, last day of 2013 i finally have it running around the roads(illegaly) but it's running, it's aggressive & i like it like that.

i'm taking her racing this saturday, can't wait.
Posted By: 340Bird

Re: Moparts Racers..2013 The Year In Review.... - 12/31/13 11:45 PM

Put a new motor in the car and started to have fun with sorting it out.
The 4 speed and stroker small block are no fun to hook.
Car did better then I thought it would. 10.50 at 128 running out of gear.
A new better clutch and a faceplated hemi box and a gear change are in the works.
It was a good year, even with all the clutch and trans and suspension problems.
2014 should be better!
Posted By: tex013

Re: Moparts Racers..2013 The Year In Review.... - 01/01/14 10:41 PM

had a very successful season . Fourth in the track championship with 2 wins and a runnerup .
Just got to get a little more consistant .
Ran new PB's in ET and speed - remind self no big changes mid season , again

Tex

Attached picture 7980722-13-WAP403170.jpg
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Moparts Racers..2013 The Year In Review.... - 01/01/14 11:01 PM

Hmmm. I guess I've had the worst year since I started racing IHRA Stock in 1999 with my Dart Sport. No wins, finished 5th in my division and didn't qualify for the IHRA World Finals/Tournament of Champions race. Variety of problems with the car all year and issues at home as well.

Highlight of the year was winning the SSSSA (Southern Stock/Super Stock Association championship here in Florida. Won 1 race out of a 6 race schedule but had to sit on the sidelines at the final event hoping the #2 guy would lose early and not pass me in points. Won one bracket race as well.

Did run a "best" with the car when I turned up the wick on one particular IHRA qualifying run:
1.470 60' - 4.425 330' - 6.982 @ 95.54 mph in the 1/8 mile.
3,540 lbs, .474" hyd. cam, 10.5 compression, footbraking.

Hoping things work out better in 2014 as I'm behind on preventive maintenance on everything. But on Dec. 31, I bought a car to run in NHRA Stock on a limited basis as well. Needs a lot of changes, tweaks & testing first. More info to follow as progress is made.
Posted By: ajcasini

Re: Moparts Racers..2013 The Year In Review.... - 01/02/14 06:00 AM

Well 2013, Wow is all I can say. At the beginning of the Year Bob George offered me the opportunity to drive his 1965 Plymouth HEMI car. All we needed to do was put together an engine and transmission. So we started the build. The 4 months to take the 65 from the corner of the shop to the dragstrip was a great experience. Bob, myself, Don Martyk, Tony George and the other BGR crew we made it happen. I must say thank you to Bob, not just for the opportunity to drive the 65 but all of the knowledge he passed on to me. That is invaluable. During the engine build, transmission build, and assembling the car, he let me work and watched what I was doing and told me the right way to do it. LOL The day I loaded the 65 in the trailer was surreal, I never dreamed I would have that opportunity.

The season went very well, I picked up the a runner up in the HEMI shootout at the York US 30 Nostalgia Nationals at Beaver Springs and followed it the next day with the WIN in the NSS Class. That was a great day. The rest of the season I spent working on Runner Up finishes. Runner up both days at Curt George Memorial Race in the HEMI class and made two quarter finals in PRO. Over the weekend we put 27 runs on the car and the BGR HEMI never missed a beat. I think the car ran 9.85-9.87 the entire weekend. The Curt George Memorial Weekend at Quaker City was great, my dad was driving Bob's white 64 plymouth in pro as well and was on a roll on Sunday until a dead battery ended his day in the quarters. On Saturday night he made it down to 4 in the gamblers race. Dave Selby picked up the RU in Pro on Saturday as well. It was a great weekend for the BGR team.

The next stop was Monster Mopar at Norwalk. The car was flying high on the starting line and I didnt click the 60'clocks with the front tires all weekend. The on track performance was not very good. I couldnt muster anything outside of a 2nd round loss. On Saturday night in Pro I was 009 taking 005 stripe for the loss. My opponent was 000 002 over the dial. Tough round to lose but it happens that way sometimes. It was a long weekend but enjoyed hanging out with the BGR boys at the track.

The finale for us was the Ghosts Goblins and Gearheads race at PRP. In the $5K race on Saturday 3rd round did me in. I turned on the ole Red Eye 004. Sunday was a better day for $1K race I made it to the final round where I lost a close race by 002.

All in all the race season was great. It was a much more abbreviated schedule than I am used to but overall was a great step back and slow down that was much needed. I was able to get many things done in preparation for our 2nd baby (Still Waiting) and had the time to learn a lot about the 65. This race season brought back a lot fun for me. I enjoyed every pass down the track in the 65 and cannot wait to make the first blast down the track this season.

I know I was long winded but had a lot of things I wanted to remember.

This past year would not have been possible without the support of my wife, Brianna and Daughter Addison. Bob I cant tell you how much I appreciate everything you have done for me. My mom and dad for traveling to the races with us as well.

I am looking forward to a great 2014. I will have a new baby girl to keep me and Brianna busy, working with Bob upgrading some things on the 65 and promoting and running the BGR Championship Series. There are many exciting things to come this year.
Posted By: Dads426

Re: Moparts Racers..2013 The Year In Review.... - 01/02/14 06:59 AM

I can't complain. Kevin picked up his second 422 Allstars NSS championship. If we keep this up they may not let us play in their sandbox anymore...
Posted By: 383man

Re: Moparts Racers..2013 The Year In Review.... - 01/02/14 07:30 AM

Not a bad year. Worst part is my dad died this year. And I did not get to the track as much as I wanted but the one time I went I drove my pump gas full exh street car and the car ran good as it went 10.76 three passes in a row. Here is the vid of my third 10.76 in which I lost to my brother as he cut a .012 lite against my .078 but I went to the second round and had a blast ! Ron

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SGdjOXjyy0&feature=youtu.be
Posted By: jyrki

Re: Moparts Racers..2013 The Year In Review.... - 01/02/14 10:57 AM

Lots of work, no special success... Tried to get a hold of the boost controller, and succeeded decently getting in to 7's several times on different tracks. Didn't run all the races with the same driver, so not very high at points. Built several engines and transmissions and also worked on my new race car. For next summer the VIP will get a new paint job and a vinyl top. The engine will be rebuilt but no changes. Except new wider tires, will try Hoosier QTP's 22.5/33/15!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2EsRoOsPtU
© 2024 Moparts Forums