Moparts

cometic gaskets

Posted By: Quicktree

cometic gaskets - 12/21/13 04:56 PM

did you guys spray the copper coat on them between layers when they were new? I did on used ones
Posted By: Crizila

Re: cometic gaskets - 12/21/13 05:00 PM

Quote:

did you guys spray the copper coat on them between layers when they were new? I did on used ones

I just did the outsides to address any irregularities on the block / head surfaces. Assumed the other surfaces ( between layers ) would be good.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: cometic gaskets - 12/21/13 06:45 PM

yes
Posted By: Duner

Re: cometic gaskets - 12/21/13 06:53 PM

I've always taken them apart at the rivets and sprayed both surfaces of all 3 parts with 3M #99 adhesive.
Posted By: 383man

Re: cometic gaskets - 12/21/13 07:05 PM

Sprayed a nice light coat on the outside of the head gaskets. They are the ones on my old 440 and they are still on there working good in my buddies Duster that we put my old 440 in. I built the eng in 2005. Ron
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: cometic gaskets - 12/21/13 07:21 PM

i sprayed them all just to be sure, thanks
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: cometic gaskets - 12/21/13 08:40 PM

I've never sprayed mine per Cometics instructions I did spray a pair for a customers motor per thier instructions , there Cometic head gaskets where in bad shape, some of the nitrile rubber had worn off some of the steel gaskets but I did as ask and they didn't leak on a true 14.9 to 1 compression bracket motor I sprayed them on all sides by removing the exteranl rivets and sprayed away
Posted By: hemidup

Re: cometic gaskets - 12/22/13 12:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I just did the outsides to address any irregularities on the block / head surfaces. Assumed the other surfaces ( between layers ) would be good.

I did mine the same way and for the same reasons.
Posted By: BB73Challenger

Re: cometic gaskets - 12/22/13 12:51 AM

I did NOT spray anything per instructions.
New heads and clean smooth deck surface.
No leaks.

I have heard of copper spray for re-use.
Posted By: Sammy

Re: cometic gaskets - 12/22/13 01:19 AM

Quote:

I did NOT spray anything per instructions.
New heads and clean smooth deck surface.
No leaks.

I have heard of copper spray for re-use.

exactly...No need to spray the head gaskets but I do believe you need a special surface for cometics gaskets.
Posted By: skrews

Re: cometic gaskets - 12/22/13 03:47 AM

Hylomar spray FTW.
Posted By: dvw

Re: cometic gaskets - 12/22/13 03:54 AM

Brand new with proper deck and head surfaces on my SB, no spray. They leaked until I through a can of stop leak in it. Never leaked again. BB same set up and machine work , no spray, no leaks. When I reused them on the BB I sprayed every side, no leaks. The SB is blown 12 lbs, the BB is 14.8-1. Both are studded
Doug
© 2024 Moparts Forums