Moparts

Drilling and tapping Indy SB intake for bypass hose

Posted By: mshred

Drilling and tapping Indy SB intake for bypass hose - 12/11/13 08:48 PM

Does anybody know what size hole needs to be drilled into an intake to use a water pump bypass hose? Also, what size threads to tap for the nipple that would go into it? I picked up an Indy 360-3 intake and this area is currently closed off, and I would like to run the bypass hose since this is a street car.
Posted By: Performance Only

Re: Drilling and tapping Indy SB intake for bypass hose - 12/11/13 09:44 PM

I don't have one here in front of me to measure, but I thought the nipple was 1/2" NPT and that would need a 23/32 drill bit
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Drilling and tapping Indy SB intake for bypass hose - 12/11/13 11:18 PM

what kind of water pump are you going to use? would run a meziere and forget all that mess.
Posted By: D-50

Re: Drilling and tapping Indy SB intake for bypass hose - 12/12/13 02:09 AM

Quote:

Does anybody know what size hole needs to be drilled into an intake to use a water pump bypass hose? Also, what size threads to tap for the nipple that would go into it? I picked up an Indy 360-3 intake and this area is currently closed off, and I would like to run the bypass hose since this is a street car.

I am using the Indy intake also without the bypass hose. I drive mine on the street and it never gets over 170* if that is what you are worried about. I have a thermostat in it with the center knocked out, so the water will circulate when I am cooling between rounds. I am running a Proform electric water pump and a electric fan pushing from the outside of the radiator.
Posted By: 72demon416

Re: Drilling and tapping Indy SB intake for bypass hose - 12/12/13 02:31 AM

Quote:

I had my 360-3 intake drilled for the bypass hose and it required a 3/4 npt tap according to Ryan Johnson.
See our conversation about it:

Quote:

Ryan, did you remember to modify it to accommodate the bypass hose?

Height wise, yeah it better damn well be about same as your M1 LOL But no spacer required on this...

Forgot about the bypass hose, you're the only person I know who still runs one... looks like I'll be breaking out the 3/4" NPT tap tomorrow. LOL [end quote]
Posted By: moparman89

Re: Drilling and tapping Indy SB intake for bypass hose - 12/12/13 02:41 AM

Its a 3/4 NPT nipple, I just bought one last night.
Posted By: 80arrow

Re: Drilling and tapping Indy SB intake for bypass hose - 12/12/13 02:52 AM

I am using the Indy intake also without the bypass hose. I drive mine on the street and it never gets over 170* if that is what you are worried about. I have a thermostat in it with the center knocked out, so the water will circulate when I am cooling between rounds. I am running a Proform electric water pump and a electric fan pushing from the outside of the radiator.

Was your intake machined for a thermostat or is your goose neck machined for a thermostat? Sorry to hi-jack your thread.
Posted By: Duster 371

Re: Drilling and tapping Indy SB intake for bypass hose - 12/12/13 02:52 AM

I run an eddy air gap on a 360 with no bypass and a stock rad and water pump...street car, never goes over 180F.

Re: Drilling and tapping Indy SB intake for bypass hose - 12/12/13 03:34 AM

Guys, isn't the reason behind the bypass hose to keep water from the block circulating when using a thermostat to avoid building up pressure?

I would like to still run a thermostat as this is a street car, and from what I have read using a stat far outweighs using a retrictor plate or nothing at all in a street car.

I am also running an edelbrock high flow mechanical water pump.

Unless I am missing something, is there some sort of benefit to not running the bypass hose when using a thermostat?
Posted By: D-50

Re: Drilling and tapping Indy SB intake for bypass hose - 12/12/13 04:10 AM

Quote:

Was your intake machined for a thermostat or is your goose neck machined for a thermostat? Sorry to hi-jack your thread.

Sorry, I do not remember which one was machined for the thermostat. I got the t-housing from Mancini I think.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Drilling and tapping Indy SB intake for bypass hose - 12/12/13 04:39 AM

Quote:

Guys, isn't the reason behind the bypass hose to keep water from the block circulating when using a thermostat to avoid building up pressure?

I would like to still run a thermostat as this is a street car, and from what I have read using a stat far outweighs using a retrictor plate or nothing at all in a street car.

Unless I am missing something, is there some sort of benefit to not running the bypass hose when using a thermostat?

The reason is to keep the heat in the engine to warm
up quicker for the heater and now days for emissions

Re: Drilling and tapping Indy SB intake for bypass hose - 12/12/13 04:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The reason is to keep the heat in the engine to warm
up quicker for the heater and now days for emissions

So if I eliminate the thermostat all together (see some mention running a gutted t-stat) how much longer would it take the car to warm up on average?

Also, if the bypass gets blocked and I leave the t-stat installed but drill some holes in it, will that help the coolant to flow while the stat is still closed? or will holes not flow enough to do that?

I don't want hot spots in the engine, nor do I want to cavitate the pump

Do electric pumps require you to not run a t-stat for these reasons?
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Drilling and tapping Indy SB intake for bypass hose - 12/12/13 05:01 AM

Thermostat ..... HA haven't ran one in probably 8 years. Stock pump or electric.

I agree, leave it blocked off, drill some holes in the Thermostat if you wish to circulate water.

Re: Drilling and tapping Indy SB intake for bypass hose - 12/12/13 05:08 AM

So if I eliminate the thermostat all together (see some mention running a gutted t-stat) how much longer would it take the car to warm up on average?

Also, if the bypass gets blocked and I leave the t-stat installed but drill some holes in it, will that help the coolant to flow while the stat is still closed? or will holes not flow enough to do that?

I run a stat with 6 1/8" holes in it... elec pumps
dont like to be dead heated... I dont run the by
pass on my Rampage but I also plan on a heater

Re: Drilling and tapping Indy SB intake for bypass hose - 12/12/13 05:14 AM

Quote:

Thermostat ..... HA haven't ran one in probably 8 years. Stock pump or electric.

I agree, leave it blocked off, drill some holes in the Thermostat if you wish to circulate water.

Did you notice that it takes the car longer to warm up without one? Do you run a restrictor in its place, or nothing at all?

Re: Drilling and tapping Indy SB intake for bypass hose - 12/12/13 05:15 AM

Quote:

I run a stat with 6 1/8" holes in it... elec pumps
dont like to be dead heated... I dont run the by
pass on my Rampage but I also plan on a heater

What if I am ditching the heater setup totally? Will the stat with the holes drilled in it suffice, or will the pump still be dead headed technically?

Re: Drilling and tapping Indy SB intake for bypass hose - 12/12/13 05:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Did you notice that it takes the car longer to warm up without one? Do you run a restrictor in its place, or nothing at all?

Yes it takes longer, this is only an issue if you live as close to the north pole as you do.

I ran nothing.

Re: Drilling and tapping Indy SB intake for bypass hose - 12/12/13 05:25 AM

What if I am ditching the heater setup totally? Will the stat with the holes drilled in it suffice, or will the pump still be dead headed technically?

the holes are good enough to move some fluid but
still warm the engine fairly quick and not hurt the pump

Re: Drilling and tapping Indy SB intake for bypass hose - 12/13/13 12:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes it takes longer, this is only an issue if you live as close to the north pole as you do.

I ran nothing.

LOL I'm not much further north then you...your in washington, arent you?

Maybe it's worth trying without anything in there at all?

Re: Drilling and tapping Indy SB intake for bypass hose - 12/13/13 12:07 AM

Quote:

the holes are good enough to move some fluid but
still warm the engine fairly quick and not hurt the pump

Have you tried the drilled stat without any heater core? I just worry about creating hot spots in the motor...How much can those holes really flow is what I wonder
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: Drilling and tapping Indy SB intake for bypass hose - 12/13/13 01:25 AM

FWIW I ran a gutted T-stat with a bypass hose and no heater, I tried it once with no T-stat or restrictor and the water was moving too fast to actually cool the motor and it wanted to overheat. Stock 1/2 ton 80's ram radiator.

Re: Drilling and tapping Indy SB intake for bypass hose - 12/13/13 01:31 AM

Quote:

FWIW I ran a gutted T-stat with a bypass hose and no heater, I tried it once with no T-stat or restrictor and the water was moving too fast to actually cool the motor and it wanted to overheat. Stock 1/2 ton 80's ram radiator.

What do you run now?

Are you still running a bypass hose currently?

Re: Drilling and tapping Indy SB intake for bypass hose - 12/13/13 01:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

What do you run now?

Are you still running a bypass hose currently?

Gutted T-stat and a bypass hose. Works fine. Hardest part is keeping V belts on when the nitrous hits lol
Posted By: MattW

Re: Drilling and tapping Indy SB intake for bypass hose - 12/13/13 01:41 AM

There is an excellent cooling write up over on moparchats. He goes by 40ford over here.
I would be more interested in pulling the water out of the rear of the intake and plumbing below your drilled out thermostat. Matt

Re: Drilling and tapping Indy SB intake for bypass hose - 12/13/13 01:45 AM

Quote:

There is an excellent cooling write up over on moparchats. He goes by 40ford over here.
I would be more interested in pulling the water out of the rear of the intake and plumbing below your drilled out thermostat. Matt

That^^^^^ is something I have wanted to experiment with
Posted By: MattW

Re: Drilling and tapping Indy SB intake for bypass hose - 12/13/13 01:53 AM

After reading it I was going to do this same mods to my R3 build. Buttttttt plans have changed
I was going to open up the passages near the exhaust and drilling a small hole in the head so it doesn't trap air. Basically forcing all the coolant around the exhaust.
Ryan did al of this to his dyno mule R3. He also ran a bypass hose from the timing cover to the centre of the exhaust ports on the block. I remember him stating that he had a hard time getting the block warm.
I would rather have to much cooling that not enough. IMO easier to control. Matt
Posted By: sshemi

Re: Drilling and tapping Indy SB intake for bypass hose - 12/13/13 02:52 PM

If youre useing the heater box i see no reason to use the bypass.
The heater box does the same thing.
Im useing an electric water pump with stat and heater box no bypass.

Re: Drilling and tapping Indy SB intake for bypass hose - 12/14/13 02:50 AM

Quote:

If youre useing the heater box i see no reason to use the bypass.
The heater box does the same thing.
Im useing an electric water pump with stat and heater box no bypass.

Not running a heater box, which is why I asked this question in the first place
Posted By: sshemi

Re: Drilling and tapping Indy SB intake for bypass hose - 12/14/13 09:52 AM

So put a hose between the fittings for the heater box?
Might not look very good though...
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: Drilling and tapping Indy SB intake for bypass hose - 12/14/13 07:12 PM

I run a 1/2" bypass hose with a t-stat and a electric pump to keep water moving when the stat is closed. You want the water to circulate by the t-stat so it will see the real water temp.

I drilled and tapped the manifold in the stock location and ran the hose to the unused port on the suction side of my Meziere pump with a reducing bushing and a hose fitting. Works well for me.

Re: Drilling and tapping Indy SB intake for bypass hose - 12/14/13 11:57 PM

Quote:

I run a 1/2" bypass hose with a t-stat and a electric pump to keep water moving when the stat is closed. You want the water to circulate by the t-stat so it will see the real water temp.

I drilled and tapped the manifold in the stock location and ran the hose to the unused port on the suction side of my Meziere pump with a reducing bushing and a hose fitting. Works well for me.

Have a pic of this setup?

Re: Drilling and tapping Indy SB intake for bypass hose - 12/15/13 04:31 AM

I pulled this out of my car years ago and began running the car with nothing at all. I drilled the holes in it out of boredom one day. Its still sitting in the top of my tool box.

Attached picture 7959171-IMG_1286.JPG

Re: Drilling and tapping Indy SB intake for bypass hose - 12/15/13 04:20 PM

So you never ran it with the holes drilled in it?

Re: Drilling and tapping Indy SB intake for bypass hose - 12/15/13 04:41 PM

That basically what I run... those holes look bigger
than what I run(I run 6 holes 1/8") just so the water
flows and not dead heading the pump
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: Drilling and tapping Indy SB intake for bypass hose - 12/15/13 08:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Here is my set up

Re: Drilling and tapping Indy SB intake for bypass hose - 12/16/13 12:14 AM

Quote:

So you never ran it with the holes drilled in it?

Nope, but thermostats are cheap, so it's worth experimenting.

Re: Drilling and tapping Indy SB intake for bypass hose - 12/16/13 06:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Here is my set up

Thanks!

Makes me feel like I should run a bypass hose, especially if I am not running a heater...I really dont want to chance hot spots in the motor
© 2024 Moparts Forums