Moparts

Header tethers

Posted By: 68valiant68

Header tethers - 11/25/13 01:28 AM

http://www.nic-fab.com/collector-cable.html

If you have to get them, check these out they are way cheaper than anything else I have seen.
Posted By: 80arrow

Re: Header tethers - 11/25/13 01:58 AM

Thanks for the heads up and link
Posted By: 408strokerdart

Re: Header tethers - 11/25/13 02:03 AM

About $40 in parts, so these are much more reasonably priced than the "Collector Tethers".
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Header tethers - 11/25/13 02:08 AM

Quote:

About $40 in parts, so these are much more reasonably priced than the "Collector Tethers".

added these to my favorites so when I am ready this spring.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Header tethers - 11/25/13 02:11 AM

I had to laugh when I first read of this new NHRA rule. But since then I have witnessed 2 Borla mufflers come off race cars going down the track. Didn't cause a accident but the cars did get upset buy running them over. I don't know if it was a bracket failure or a maintenance failure by not checking the bolt/nut. The tethers seem to be a little over priced, a couple of t-bolt clamps a foot of cable should be under 20 bucks, but then again, it's for NHRA safety rules.
Posted By: SSDart

Re: Header tethers - 11/25/13 02:22 AM

Quote:

I had to laugh when I first read of this new NHRA rule. But since then I have witnessed 2 Borla mufflers come off race cars going down the track. Didn't cause a accident but the cars did get upset buy running them over. I don't know if it was a bracket failure or a maintenance failure by not checking the bolt/nut. The tethers seem to be a little over priced, a couple of t-bolt clamps a foot of cable should be under 20 bucks, but then again, it's for NHRA safety rules.

I work at my local track once in awhile running the lanes. It is amazing how many poeple have come up yo me with burnt hands from picking up collectors and mufflers that come off.........
Posted By: 80arrow

Re: Header tethers - 11/25/13 02:37 AM

Would you still have to use these teathers if you weld the collector to just one of the primaries?
Posted By: SSDart

Re: Header tethers - 11/25/13 02:53 AM

Quote:

Would you still have to use these teathers if you weld the collector to just one of the primaries?

If you weld with a one in stitch on 2 primaries I believe your ok....
Posted By: Gearhead383

Re: Header tethers - 11/25/13 01:28 PM

As per the 2014 rule amendments:

Exhaust collectors/stacks must be securely fastened (i.e., metal connector straps, bolted, welded, etc.) to prevent loss of collector/stacks during competition. All removable multi-piece exhaust collectors/stacks must be securely fastened with either an NHRA-accepted header tether, or a minimum ½” (half-inch) stitch weld located on each primary tube to prevent loss of collector/stacks during competition. A current list of NHRA-accepted header tethers is available on NHRARacer.com.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Header tethers - 11/25/13 02:50 PM

yeah....but the $200 ones were so pretty!
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: Header tethers - 11/25/13 03:01 PM

Quote:

There is an ad in ND that has header tethers advertised for $49.99 and another set for $99.99 IIRC...... A bit more affordable then the $200.00 ones!!

Russ
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Header tethers - 11/25/13 04:55 PM

If I remember correctly 4-1/4" by 3/4" grade 8 bolts and 4-1/4" lock nuts was under $2.00 at Marvin's .

Re: Header tethers - 11/25/13 06:45 PM

Quote:

If I remember correctly 4-1/4" by 3/4" grade 8 bolts and 4-1/4" lock nuts was under $2.00 at Marvin's .

But can you get them with an NHRA approved tag

Russ
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Header tethers - 11/26/13 05:53 PM

I'am all for saftey,but how are these tethers any more safer than welded and bolted metal straps on each side of the collecter to the primary tubes?We use two straps and 4 tabs 1/2 inch wide with 1/4 inch bolts with stover style lock nuts.Cost of materials under $10.Header manufactures have been doing it this way for years.I would think that they should be acceptable.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Header tethers - 11/26/13 06:00 PM

They are required because so many people NEVER do any maintenance to their cars. Thus not catching when tabs break or bolts come off. Just another case of all of us paying for the mistakes of others. Just like insurance....

FWIW I have seen this happen on three seperate occasions and always on dragsters. Where it should be easily seen if guys ever looked at their junk. Imagine tire shake is causing it to happen.
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Header tethers - 11/26/13 10:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

But can you get them with an NHRA approved tag

Russ

I not sure but it seems to be Bob George Racing approved,and that's good enough for me.
Posted By: Bigbeep

Re: Header tethers - 11/27/13 12:12 AM

Lets just see how many racers get booted for not having them. When this stuff starts hitting the tracks pocket book, the tracks will let them race. Its no different then helmets and belts. When they are even checked, that is. I believe in safety first, but I also nut and bolt my car every couple of races. Beep
Posted By: dvw

Re: Header tethers - 11/27/13 12:23 AM

Quote:

They are required because so many people NEVER do any maintenance to their cars. Thus not catching when tabs break or bolts come off. Just another case of all of us paying for the mistakes of others. Just like insurance....

FWIW I have seen this happen on three seperate occasions and always on dragsters. Where it should be easily seen if guys ever looked at their junk. Imagine tire shake is causing it to happen.

And what happens when they don't maintain the teathers and they fall off?
Doug
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Header tethers - 11/27/13 12:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

And what happens when they don't maintain the teathers and they fall off?
Doug

Yeah,I would like to see how those long tie rods last under severe vibration and other types of harmonics.The shorter the connecting method the stronger.We still maintain the standard flat bar and tabs will do the job.We have never lost a collecter in all the years We've raced.To disallow this method is stupid imo.
Posted By: dillon383

Re: Header tethers - 11/27/13 12:56 AM

Here is another option for the same price. http://www.rjracecars.com/QM-Clamp-On-Collector-Tether-System-Prodview.html Also they are running a black Friday sale to save 10%, so that helps a little.
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Header tethers - 11/27/13 01:59 AM

Quote:

I pretty much had to tighten up the bolts on my Borla mufflers every few races.....just made it part of the post race maintenance routine....I can see the need for the tethers...if they save even one injury they're worth it....just happy to see the prices ending up where their affordable

Rickster
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Header tethers - 11/27/13 03:13 AM

I'm a little confused ( as usual ). Do collector extensions need tethers?

Attached picture 7937752-evacpipe2.jpg
Posted By: skrews

Re: Header tethers - 11/27/13 07:06 AM

Quote:

Posted By: racerx

Re: Header tethers - 11/27/13 11:53 AM

Quote:

pics or it's not true
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Header tethers - 11/27/13 01:01 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the heads up and link

I will spen 59 vs welding mine up, thanks again
Posted By: Gearhead383

Re: Header tethers - 11/27/13 01:12 PM

Quote:

The tethers are for slip-on collectors. If the collectors attach to a flange with bolts then your good to go.
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Header tethers - 11/27/13 02:06 PM

Thanks for the link.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Header tethers - 11/27/13 02:12 PM

Leigh..I am sure you know that fella! Jok Nicholson.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Header tethers - 11/27/13 02:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The tethers are for slip-on collectors. If the collectors attach to a flange with bolts then your good to go.

Ok, Thanks.

Re: Header tethers - 11/27/13 07:52 PM

List of approved suppliers.

NHRA Accepted Products

Lokar www.lokar.com
Collector Tethers.com www.collectortethers.com
KFM Kollector Keepers www.KeithFulpMotorsports.com
Quarter-Max www.quartermax.com
Southern Rods Tethers www.southernrods.com
Collector Cable www.collector-cable.com
Philadelphia Racing Products http://www.prpracingproducts.com/